Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I just keep wanting to make Burning Man clothing. Origami crane tail bustle made of layered muslin and tulle. Denim underbust corset covered in white lace (how very country). I'm making a standard ruffled tulle bustle to wear to a party tomorrow night.

You know, I have two jobs, I really don't have time for this... but my sewing machine just stares at me until I guiltily work on my projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

If you look at the knitting, it's just a bunch of side-by-side slipknots through the last row's slipknots, etc. If you drop a stitch, find the loose loop back where you dropped it and pull the next unstitched row through it the right way - just pull the loop through to make it look like the loops next to it.

Dropped stitches get easy to avoid anyway, so you hardly have to worry once you get the hang of it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

Do you have a pattern you use for the bustle? I've been meaning to try my hand at one for a while now but I don't know where to look.

It's not a bustle skirt or a bustle that you stick under a skirt to pooch it out. The key to clothing at Burning Man is making it light, easy, and modular. As such, my bustles are little one-off affairs you tie with a band around your waist (or safety pin or baste on) to go over a skirt or some hot shorts or what have you. I'm thinking about using thicker, more visually attractive waistbands, with velcro closure (so you don't have to tuck it into or under something else to hide the ends).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

RichBomb posted:

Also, how much will using denim specific needles help?

Denim should be totally doable, get the right needle. The one you have now might have a broken tip, which would prevent it from going through.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That happens to me too! Usually a bobbin problem, but sometimes completely mysterious (but goes away when I start on a different fabric, so maybe that's it).

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

logorrhea posted:

Oh my god- are you me? I just found this pattern the other day and I've been obsessed ever since. I was thinking of trying it in this cotton: Michael Miller cotton

The picture doesn't really do the fabric justice: the dots have a silver sheen. It looks really cool and mod.

Wow, this looks really professional. I'm impressed :)

Oh yeah, that! I have a blue one hanging in my closet right now. I don't like how tight the front apron part is (not the part that comes around from the back), and the snaps just aren't doing it for me, so I'm thinking about redoing it with real buttons with buttonholes, and putting gores in the front part so it can flow more naturally.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Hey, I'm about to make a ginormous wired ribbon (probably three or four yards long and at least a foot and a half wide) to tie around me as part of a costume at a party tonight. I plan on buying white sheets from the thrift store and softish wire from the hardware store, and then essentially sewing the wire into the hem of the long strip I'll make from the sheet. Will this work? Should I double up the fabric for more stiffness? Will starch be enough to stiffen the fabric between the wires?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

RedFish posted:

Thanks for the replies, good to know. I've since gone quilt fabric groping, and I see what you mean.

New question: has anyone every worked with bamboo fabric? I'm tempted, but have no idea how it handles, even if it's safe to press, although I'm assuming since it is a natural fiber it would be.

Bamboo fabric is like if you spun marshmallows and wove fabric with it. It's amazing.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

RedFish posted:

Question: How much 'ease' is factored into patterns? I've yet to make something based on my waist measurements that didn't feel like a tent once I put it on, and require several inches to be taken in.

Yeah, I made a McCall's cloak pattern in the Small size (supposedly for a bust of 32") (also what does bust have to do with cloaks) and it had eight inches of what I call "vertical ease" and the shoulders were more than a foot too wide, even when I drew the neckline to my actual neck. I understand making things too big for fat people, but how does having a 32" bust tell the pattern that I have like, 40" shoulders??

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Celluloid posted:

Do we talk about knitting clothes in this thread?

Does anyone have experience with knitting machines? I have used one of the small circular knitting machines to make fun little things and found it to be very easy.
I have a large collection now of 1940's sweater and hat patterns, but I know jack about knitting (and don't really have the time to do anything other than crank a lever).

I know knitting by hand is a time-consuming process, but can be easy to learn.
I'd like to use a knitting machine to cut down the time.

Does anyone have any GOOD websites with instructions/videos? Youtube seems only to have circular machine vids.

There's a "Show me your knits!" thread farther back in the forums! Go bump it. We're also on Ravelry as "Show me your knits" group.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

ludosti posted:

Ok, I'm seriously about to rip my hair out, so I appeal to the goon sewing gods to help me. I'm working with some lightweight bamboo jersey that I totally love, but trying to sew on it is making me contemplate murder. I'm using a ballpoint needle (I've been using a 70/10) and it doesn't matter what stitch I'm using - it skips stitches. I've tried experimenting with how many layers I'm sewing through (3 or 5 are the choices) and adding some interfacing, to no avail. I don't know what else to try... :cry:

Dumb question, but you checked that your bobbin is put the right way around in the bobbin-holding-assembly thingy right? And loosening the top tension? Skipped stitches are always a problem with the machine's configuration for me.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Ooo, that's already getting a bit big. And it's an awkward place to get your sewing machine. Try ironing a bit of iron-on patch to the inside of it, then zig-zag stitch all over it from the outside to attach it firmly, so that all of the rent is covered in stitching. It's ugly, but if you do it with carpet or coat thread, it's more durable than the surrounding fabric =)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Gonktastic posted:

I'm mostly curious because I do sketch out my ideas, but I don't really have the technical knowledge to make them come to life. For example, my recent sketches have had a lot of pleats, and I have no idea how to make them actually happen. The local community college sewing class is always full immediately. :(

I have a book called "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" by Colette Wolff, and it's extremely technical but also extremely clear about how to execute specific techniques, like pleats, ruffles, gathers, smocking, tucks, and what-have-you. It also has a bajillion pictures of the techniques executed on plain white fabric, so you can know exactly what you're doing in advance. It's brilliant.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

ludosti posted:

What kinds of problems are you having with the jersey? Are you using a stretch needle? I've found they can make all the difference in the world. You want to also make sure you're using a stitch with some stretch to it (if nothing else, use the very narrowest zigzag possible, so the seam with give a little with the fabric).

The narrow zig zag always warps the poo poo out of the fabric as it sews for me, and I can't lessen the tension of my presser foot. I solved this problem by using a relatively long and wide zig zag, which holds fine for me (probably because I get bored and go through clothes faster than they wear out). And even if it is less durable, I can always run it under the sewing machine again!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I've been busy. I started an Etsy store, so I have pretty pictures of the things I've been making.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Those gathers will be somewhat annoying to get even with satin like that, and I imagine you'll need to set the bottom half's pleats by sewing them in nicely at the waistband. I get frustrated with slippery fabrics, but the pattern itself can't be that difficult. I'd do it if it weren't stupid slippery nonsense.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Wheeeeee! I just started working for a lady that makes custom clothing and accessories locally. I was working as a seamstress on my own six months ago, but I have no head for business. I'm glad I'll pretty much be doing the same thing, but with someone to remind me to go to work! :D

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

It gets like 90% of the shrinking done. A second wash/dry will finish the job if you're paranoid, but you're looking at maybe a few mm per foot shrinkage at this point, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

That's a lot of work for fake meat.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oracle posted:

Oh my god gently caress armholes forever. This is the first time I've made anything with sleeves loving argh. Anyone got any tips or tricks on how to do this without making my kid look like the loving hunchback of notre dame or me killing myself in frustration I'm all ears. Doesn't help this ancient loving sewing machine keeps unthreading the needle...

Armholes are the most often hosed up thing in store-bought patterns in my experience, and it's the hardest to tell. Basting by hand is the best thing, because then you can tell if there's a serious mismatch between the sleeve cap and the armscye. Altering either of those curved lines is tricky business too, so usually just taking in or letting out the lengthwise seam of the sleeve is safe as long as you're not altering it by more than half an inch.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oracle posted:

Yeah its totally screwed up, but I can't say as I blame the pattern so much as my lovely cutting ability (oh hi, left-handed sewer). Not that you can really tell at a glance, but it is the most hosed up jury-rigged slapped together piece of crap. But its done and he loves it, so.

I think I am going to sign up for the jacket class at Joann's. Sure its an ugly jacket but at least I'll know how to attach a drat sleeve.

Also blind hemming can KISS MY rear end.

You know those tags that say 'made with love for'? I need to print out some custom ones that say 'made with hate' or 'fueled by frustration.'

Blind hemming is also something I do by hand. The stitches are big, so it goes fast, and it looks much better. You also only have to do it once.

Some poor lady came into our shared workspace today and tried to replace a zipper. When she couldn't get that to work, she tried to sew some elastic into something. When she couldn't get that to work either, she tried to serge something but then it stopped chaining. When I heard what she had attempted, I was impressed that she hadn't just started crying right then and there... those are the three most annoying things ever.

Edit: guys, I'm too depressed to sew. What's a good cheer-up get-back-on-the-horse project?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

If I made a jacket that nice for my boyfriend for a costume, I'd murder him if he never wore it after Halloween.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Last night I dreamed I made a herringbone quilt with strips a quarter inch wide. Ouch.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Is there any possible way you can just buy fabric of the right colors? Dyeing to a perfect hue is a... touchy process.

Edit: looks like the closest match is pure Sunshine Orange, but their greens are all too washed out to match the vibrancy of the flag.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 19, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Ooof, getting those nice clean lines will be hell too.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

amishsexpot posted:

You mean making a yoke and having a hem at the top? You wouldn't get the stretchy waistband effect then.

Depends how you sewed the hem, the ideal being coverstitch, but we don't all have industrial machines.

I do teehee

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

http://www.pfaff.com/global/20289_20292.html

If you're wearing a t-shirt, look at how it's hemmed around the bottom.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

The hem is folded over, so there's two layers just for the waistband. Whether they fall down at that point depends on the stretchiness of the fabric and how close you've cut it to your measurements.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

gently caress's sake. They rearranged the sewing area at the hackerspace I work/play at and it's AWFUL. The total floor space has been reduced by a third. All the machines are against windowless walls, so you don't have any space to move fabric behind the machine. When you sit at the machine, you occupy the runway of space around the smaller cutting table where the fabric rolls and paper are stored. There's no way to reach the bins of fabric storage without standing on a rickety-rear end bar stool. The ironing station is now inconvenient to everything except for the desk where we do paperwork/computer things. Literally the only thing that is improved is the lighting because it's in a corner with white walls so it's a bit brighter.

I want to murder people.

edit: AND WHY DOES EVERYTHING SMELL LIKE PUSSY

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 30, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, do all the steps. It's asking for trouble if you want to do french seams that way. I don't know what Rev. Cheddar is talking about, as that tutorial shows curved seams. I'd try it out on some thrift store shirts first, just to get the tricky bits worked out before you go chopping up your nice shirts.

Also, when they turn the seam after sewing it the first time, they say iron it tight. They loving mean it. Make sure that seam is perfectly turned and snug as hell. You don't want ANY wiggle when you sew back along the seam line to encase the raw edges. You need a good iron and patience.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

How does that make it a bad idea? Just say "remember that the seams are curved and follow the instructions carefully". We all started out somewhere. I know I've made some hideous alterations, and now I do that poo poo for money.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Oh, okay! SHUT UP AND DO AS YOU'RE TOLD. You are not yet worthy of the inner secrets of alterations!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Yeah, that part you can go hog wild with if you feel like you need to get it out of the way (I don't just cause I know I'd poke myself with a pin unawares, and getting blood on something you've been working on sucks). Just make 100% sure that what you are sewing (the seam) is flat and perfectly lined up and you should be good.

Blood is the easiest organic stain to get out of fabric. Little bit of hydrogen peroxide and you're back in business! Put your pins in perpendicular to the edge, not parallel, and use a ton of them (every half inch or so is good).

mirthdefect: I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean by saying the front panels are wider than the back. Do you mean, when you have drawn your new seams, they don't line up length-wise any more? Or do you mean that the front is farther around than the back is? You should not mess with that particular ratio, and you should be taking off fabric an equal amount from the front and the back at the side seams.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I just cut out 546 squares and got them all laid out in a way I like.

But it turns out I still need to cut 372 more. Someone hold me.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

zamiel posted:

I'm 5'5", my table is about 29" tall so I do have to bend over some when I'm working with it. I've tried moving it closer to me instead of in the middle of the table to no avail.

You'll have to experiment with what works for you, but a higher surface makes a really big difference in back issues for a lot of people, to the point that OSHA mandates raised cutting surfaces (http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/sewing/scissorwork.html). Cutting on the floor is a slight improvement, but only slightly. Get kneepads if you decide this is the best way for you.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Charmmi posted:

I'm contemplating turning some pairs of tights into thigh-high stockings to wear with a garter belt. If I cut the legs off near the top, how should I sew down the raw edge so it doesn't unravel?

Serge. If you don't mind the tops being a bit stretched out, you can fold the top over and zigzag stitch around.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

My father has some old Juki industrial machines hanging around in his storage shed, I should see about getting one when I move to a house and have more room.

Oh really? Would he be willing to sell?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Press between every step, baste the edge in question before beginning to work on it, and I just found this tutorial on how to make a rolled hem that isn't all hosed up: http://grainlinestudio.com/2011/08/17/tips-tricks-easy-roll-hem/

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Probably not. You know those episodes of the antiques picking shows where they go to some random barn filled with crap that the person is unwilling to part with because they insist it will be worth tons of money way in the future? That is my dad. I will ask though.

Now my uncle in the DC area might be willing to part with one or two (I think he has a few, they used them to make custom naugahyde seat covers for after college can't get a job cash). The trouble is how do you ship one of those things? The machine is solid steel and the table, 1/2hp motor, and clutch are not light either.

It's easier to just ship the head (the steel part) and find a table/motor/clutch combo in your own area. I'll be moving to Oakland soon and I might need to get a second Juki for my new business. I'll be making skydiving jumpsuits! I'm very excited... I've never worked with some of these materials, and the range of motion on those garments is quite different than your average jumpsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Is there a hole or just that line? If it's just the line, you can sort of massage around the affected area and it should reduce the puckering a bit.