Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

seriouslywtf posted:

I am obsessed with this vintage pattern from Butterick that I found last night. I am going to make the black & white version as a test run, and then go nuts with other colors in the future if it doesn't turn out too weird.

Obsessed.

That is all.
I need that dress to go swing dancing in. Seconding the request for pictures when you get it finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Milk-Eyed Mender posted:

Hallloween is a longgg way away. But of course, i've already started picking out my costume. I love the character from Pan's Labyrinth who has his eyes on his hands. I attached a picture of him below. Anyways, I'd love to be him for Halloween. I figured I would wear a tan bodysuit, but i really want all the sags and wrinkles he has. Any ideas for what I should do?

Hope this isn't off the threads topic, I'm just curious for some tips.
I would use really thin fabric, and make sure you tape in some cardboard or something for the visible ribs. You could use rubber cement to make some of the wrinkles permanent if they aren't staying put. Get some red dye and thin it out to make all the reddish parts red.

Jesus, that movie was terrifying. Good choice for a costume :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Hurray! I made my first thing in forever, it seems. My boyfriend got me a sewing machine for my birthday, so I tried out the tutorial linked in the OP to make a zippered pouch. It came out pretty darn well for my first sewing-thing!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ok, I am making pajama pants for my boy for Christmas. I'm using flannel fabric - is there a particular kind of thread that I should buy? I imagine cotton thread will do the trick, double seamed at the crotch to reinforce?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

squirrellypoo posted:

Polyester thread is way stronger than cotton - either go for all polyester or cotton-coated polyester. Coats seem to be the ubiquitous thread brand in the States, but frankly, I can't stand the stuff. Gutterman 4 lyfe, yo.

(and make sure you prewash that flannel before you cut it up - cotton loves to shrink and it's better to shrink before you've sewn than end up with clamdiggers afterwards!)
Thanks for the advice, I am glad I asked before doing anything! Although I imagine a shrunken boy pair of pajama pants would look great on me ;)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

seriouslywtf posted:

I actually just took a class on upholstery (if you look on the door in that image, it says "student work") and that project we did was to make an ottoman from scratch and the upholster it. Not a ton of sewing, but lots and lots of stapling and hammering. ;)
I'd be very interested in a write-up of how you did this and with what material (what kind of wood/steel did you use for the frame, etc). It's so freaking cool!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

RichBomb posted:

What's the difference here?
The sewing part is making the top layer of fabric (sewing together all the pieces to make the pattern). The quilting part is putting that fabric together with batting and backing material, and sewing all of that together - that's the wavy kind of stitches you can see on the quilt. It's the part that's not-as-creative, but still difficult to do correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Viet Timh posted:

It's got a couple of workmanship flaws in it but it's the first thing I've ever done without some kind of pattern.
Dawwww, he is such a happy puppy :3: That looks really cool and your dog is badass in camo.