Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

RichBomb posted:

Can anybody recommend fabric shops in NYC?

A-train to Canal street. There are a lot of fabric stores on Broadway if you walk in the opposite direction of SoHo. P&S and the Fabric Warehouse are my favorites.

Also, the garment district. (Take the train to Times Sq.) The garment distrct is along 7th avenue and stretches from 36th street to 40th street. Mood and NY elegant fabrics are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

hand painting is more special than silkscreening. silkscreening is very cool if you want to produce massive amounts of something, but in general, it's nicer to hand paint things since it makes it more valuable.

i use jacquard fabric paint. there are textile mediums that you can mix with acrylic paints, but i don't recommend it. jacquard fabric paints look the best imo. the paint is very fluid and applies very smoothly.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

RedFish posted:

:neckbeard:

This looks perfect! Is there a specific brand that you use? I am so excited, I plan to make plain wrap skirts and then paint them. And hunt down plain cheap skirts online and paint them as well.

there isn't. i just buy primary colors under the jacquard textiles label and mix the colors that i need. i also add a bit of golden gel medium to it to make the color even smoother.

remember to iron it when it dries to set the color.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Strelnikov posted:

I also have a project to show off! Here's a scarf I made:

It's not knitted -- my school has a printer that will print your designs on fabric! I designed the repeat print, printed it out onto lightweight china silk, and just did a serged roll hem on the edge. Once classes start up again, I plan to have some more fabric printed up and maybe make a suit with some squids on it or something.

i love it!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Strelnikov posted:

Yes, the television has an old BBC test signal on the screen. :) I've been wearing this scarf every day so far this winter (draped over my head like an old russian grandma, style goes out the window when it's cold), and I never thought thin silk could insulate so well. I'll definitely have to get a lot more scarves to match pretty much everything I own.

My project over winter break is this dress from Pattern Magic, which is an amazing book that anyone interested in patternmaking should have a look at:

I need to figure out what I'm doing for New Years, though, before I decide what fabric I'm making it in. I can't wait to get started~!

Edit: I just looked through everything in that book's sequel. I don't think words can even express how awesome it is, and how much I wish it were my idea...

how thorough are the illustrations? i want to get that book but i'm worried that i won't be able to make anything if i can't follow along with the directions

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Strelnikov posted:

The illustrations show the pattern piece with every measurement marked out in centimeters, so even if you don't know anything about drafting patterns you could still figure out how to make the designs they show just by measuring out the lines on your paper. And they have the slopers printed in the back of the book, so if you don't have any of your own or want to test things out in quarter-scale you can just use theirs. I can't read a word of the written instructions, but they illustrate every design and some of them have step-by-step photos, so it's pretty easy to follow along.

ooooh! that totally wins! and i wouldn't mind getting a new set of slopers, because i'm not partial to the ones that we're given in school.

i'm absolutely buying those two books when i scrap up the money, thank you so much.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

it's called the grim reaper goes to the beach

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

PS: I'm totally trying out for a MTV reality show that apparently has something to do with fashion next week. Wanna gently caress dat poo poo up.

Oh, man! You're doing that!! I was thinking about going to the casting call, but I'm too busy with finals

That chair is amazing

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

GOLDALINE, I AM YOUR NUMBER 1 FAN.

Here's my new baby:

My "new" sewing machine just came in. I'm retiring my $70 brother machine that I've had since high school with this 1969 Pfaff machine. It sews so beautifully, I'm insanely excited about it.

My Brother machine used to shake my entire table as I worked on projects. This one is so quiet.

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 2, 2009

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

I looove the coat and the knot-front dress.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

We're required to take a lingerie class at my school. I hate lingerie, but I'm pretty pleased with my chemise.

it's not pleating but bias strips handsewn on top of one another.

I initially tried it with pleating, but it didn't work out.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Philo posted:

I'm not that much into lingerie either, but this looks like it came out really well.

Was that fabric as much of a bitch to sew as it looks like it was?

It actually wasn't!

I decided to cheat a bit and use a really nice polyester charmeuse instead of silk charmeuse. Silk charmeuse is the worst thing to sew in the world, but it was actually pretty easy to sew the polyester.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Whoa, you have to do Charles James? Torture devices for women FTW!

IIRC from my costume history class, most people still have no idea don't know how the clover dress was made!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

I made a bra for my lingerie class. It's a coordinates with the chemise I posted earlier.

We had to deconstruct an ugly, very matronly maidenform bra and copy the pattern pieces in a different fabric. I added a bunch of trim to make it less fugly.

I added a little rosette/button detail over the closure.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

district 12 posted:

I posted this in the Ladies' thread in W&W, so sorry if you see this twice.

So for my 3d Concepts class we had to take containers and make a volumetric shape out of them. Inspired by Martin Margiela's artisanal collection (via Goldaline's post in the runway thread), I decided to use magic stretch gloves to make a skirt.

The end result is something I'm really pleased with! I plan on replacing the sewing machine needle I broke, reinforcing some of the seams and totally wearing this out. I've never sewn something to completion before (just tidied up holes in my old shirts and whatnot) but this was actually really easy. I want to make more clothes!

super cool, district 12

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh man, you graded all those patterns yourself? that sucks

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

Ahaha, so I've been working on these feathered leggings/pants for a few days. I finally put the on someone...and wow, they look a lot more like gorilla legs than I anticipated.

Oh well! They're due Thursday so I guess that's just how it's going to be.

ahahhaha they're soooo cool

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

hahahah, i'm working on a rough draft for my thesis right now. the actual garment will be orange + black.

pretend that i'm a sexy scandinavian woman wearing a fur coat and a swimsuit and you'll get the vibe i'm going for.

also pretend that i'm not standing in a public bathroom but a beautiful lush rainforest.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

goldaline u no u can just buy printed fabric w/ that design rite!!!!

jk that's amazing. i've always wanted to do something that intricate, but i've never had any motivation to get those projects started.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

The blog is http://havinghorns.blogspot.com. I'm finishing up the post now. The prices are not high for what they are, I promise. It's just so hard selling things when they take as long as my work does. Nobody's going to pay as much as would be a fair price. I think this is why I end up giving half of it away :(

*makes fun of u for having a hotmail e-mail!!*

i want to buy your electric animal fabric because it's kind of amazing!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

there's actually an invisible hand stitch called a slip stitch/invisible stittch, look it up. you can use whatever color thread you want and not see it in the end.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

I couldn't find a hat that I liked, so I made one.

It's a heavy felted wool knit, and some wool suiting for the trim, and a little buckle off an army bag. Still debating whether or not to put pom-poms on the back.

hey!

how did you sew on the trim? v-fold??

i'm making a sweater cardigan, and i'm conflicted on how to finish the edge since i can't get ribknit in the colors i need.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Cuddlebottom posted:

I'm working on sewing a pair of men's gloves (using information mostly from http://www.vintagesewing.info/1950s/50-hmg/hmg-toc.html), but I'm not sure what do pick for fabric once I have a working pattern. I imagine the best option would be leather, but while I can sew decently, I've heard leather is a nightmare and should be avoided unless you're more of an expert. What other nice fabrics could I use for a project like this - maybe something weather proof? :confused: Or should I suck it up and buy some leather?

leather isn't that hard to sew, you just need to make sure you have a leather needle in your machine and a teflon foot

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

handbags at dawn posted:

I finally finished something (well, almost - it's not bound yet). Made for someone else who has much different taste in colors than I do. First attempt at using a longarm quilting machine.

beautiful!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

i'm spending my spanksgiving in the fashion studio working on my muslins for my senior thesis

i'm pretty happy my design is turning out the way i had envisioned:

it's going to be a bustier dress. there's going to be one more diagonal tier of squares, and the rest of the dress is going to be beaded with swarovski crystals for the actual garment. also there's going to be an upper silk organza yoke.

eta:

still needs a mock turtle neck and sleeves....and....a back lol

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 27, 2009

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

Ooh-I like the sheer yoke. What're the squares made of? And is it black or navy? Can't tell from the picture.

it's a black cotton twill with an organza yoke. the actual garment will be the same thing. i hate doing muslins, because i usually just end up throwing out the first garment after i do my fitting.

eta: finished the muslin

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 30, 2009

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Cross_ posted:

I finally finished a fall/winter dress for my wife which looks something like this :

Poor photo though, in reality it's a lot more form-fitting and shimmering. The fabric is 95% rayon plus spandex- wonderful soft feel and a pain to sew.

This leads me to my question: are there any good temporary stabilizers for stretchy fabrics ? I've tried cut-aways which tear out my stitches when I try to pull off the paper. With water-soluble fiber stabilizer I have lots of fuzzy fibers stuck under the seams that require tweezers to remove.

Oh and one more: I am trying to make a stiff shirt collar out of lightweight fabric. Any recommendations for a sturdy interfacing to use ?

what kind of problems are you having? does the fabric shift as you try to sew it? what happens? i've never sewn knits using a stabilizer. at my last internship, we usually laid out more finnicky stretch fabrics on a cutting table for 24 hours before cutting and then pinned the seam allowance A LOT before sewing. some stretch fabrics are easier to sew than others. you kind of have to practice on a few different kinds of fabrics before you realize what's better to work with. i like working with spandex that's a bit heavier.

if you want the collar to be stiff, just interface both sides. i use the same kind of interfacing for basically everything. (suitmaker's interfacing) but sometimes i just use whatever's available. tricot is nice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Cross_ posted:

There were two problems with that fabric; because it's so stretchy it would frequently get pulled through the throatplate and then get stuck there. I had to set the maximum stitch length (an embarassing 3mm) in order to get stitches that were more like 1mm long. Using the stabilizer solved both problems easily- no puckered fabric and stitches that matched the setting, but then getting rid of the stabilizer became the new challenge.

did you change the type of needle you were using in your machine? get a pack of ballpoint needles snd stretch the fabric as you sew (if you're using a straight stich and not a zigzag)

also, we use wax paper as a stabilizer for sewing fabrics like charmeuses and chiffons (that stabilizes the fabric and stops it from getting stuck in that plate) maybe it can be used in the same manner for knits.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

there's a dye fixative called retayne that will help you set your dye

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Here's a muslin shirt/jacket/thing from my collection. It still needs buttonholes:

I feel like such a doofus. I wasn't paying attention to my illustration and I forgot to add stripes to one of the sleeves. Ohhh weelllll, just a muslin.

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 20, 2010

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Goldaline posted:

Oh, texture, hurray. Is the finished going to be black as well? Kinda reminds me of Jasper John's white flags. Are the stars machine embroidered? Is it cropped, or just sort of wide cut?

Yeah, my entire collection is jasper johns inspired for sure. I actually illustrated a collection based off the white flag before deciding to go all dark and weird with it.

Here it is worn so you can see the fit:

I bought iron-on stars for the moment, which I'm not pleased with. My school doesn't have any embroidery machines, and I don't know anything about hand embroidery. There's a place up in the garment district that specializes in professional machine embroidery, so I might go to them for my final garment.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Have you ever used a professional embroiderer before? I'm trying to figure out if I just need to bring a yard of fabric to them and let them embroider that entire yard or if I should cut out the pattern and mark the places that need to be embroidered.

Maybe it works both ways, I dunno. I just need to figure out a way to do it so that I'll be happiest with the results.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Hi everyone, I'm Goldaline! I'm going to spend days and days cutting and sewing hexagons together, and then use that fabric as a lining because I'm freakin' crazy!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Don't use chiffon or georgette. That's a bodysuit with what looks like 3 tiers of circles sewn into waist. If it's for figure skating, the garment needs to be able to stretch and move with the body. A woven fabric will restrict movement. There are plenty of 4-way stretch fabrics that can achieve that look in the picture, you just have to shop around for them.

Also, buying a pattern for a circle skirt is a joke. You just need pattern pieces that look like this:

The inner curves just have to match up to the front and back measurements of the waistline.

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 25, 2010

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

hepscat posted:

I'm not sure how they finished off the edges on the skirt in the picture.

Don't be worried about it, it looks really easy to make. It looks like they just fed the hem through a purl stitch machine, which is a cheap and fast finishing technique for mass industry. A nicer way to finish it would be an 1/8" baby hem.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Fart Jesus LOL, the topstitching of the lining is an 1/8 of an inch on one side and then it becomes sloppy and gradually becomes a quarter of an inch on the other side. kill yourself!!!

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Hey, I want to buy fabric online. Does anyone have a source for cheapish cashmere jersey?

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

when i draped a tulip skirt, i think i aligned the straight grain (or maybe it was my bias line?) with the side seam and pleated my way to the CF and CB

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

Hello sewing thread. My boyfriend has a quilt that is quite sentimental to him. It's unfortunately falling apart, mostly on the non-quilt side. I think getting it in better condition would be a nice Christmas present for him. I am a pretty beginner sewer, but I have a nice machine (Brother CS6000i) I can use. I've never quilted before. Is this something I could probably fix on my own over the next month, or should I find a professional? It looks like the entire back needs to be replaced.
e: it's about 5'x5'.

Looking at it from a time/effort prespective, I don't think you should bother trying to replace it. It's probably going to take forever to take it out. It might just be better to just sew a new piece of fabric over it