Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bethinator
Aug 25, 2005

Antis0ciald0rk posted:

Nice Slant-o-matic. That's quite a deal.

I just got the 401a in the original cabinet and accessories for $75. I got it from a guy who said it used to belong to his mother and she used it all the time and had it serviced religiously but it's been in the basement now for many years.

It was pretty dirty but I managed to get it cleaned up and oiled. It does a nice straight stitch but I can't get the knobs for the other stitches to move and the red lever will move the needle to the left but then it stays stuck there and I have to push it back into place with my hand. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix this myself.

Other issue is that the rubber ring for the bobbin winder is all dried out and doesn't make contact with the wheel, but I figure that's easy enough to replace if I can find the part.

Anyone know anything about fixing these things up?

I have the exact same machine/attachments purchased from a thrift store for $25. Some of the parts on mine started working better after a lot of oil, wiggling and patience. The winder on mine is dried out as well, but I found that there's a sweet spot where it'll make contact and catch, I just can't push too hard or it won't work.

good luck, I absolutely love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU