Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

I am having trouble thinking of the right term for what I'm trying to do, so searching is a huge hassle.

I want to sew some ipod touch cases. Not a tough proposition to sew a 3-sided rectangle. However, I want the two larger walls to be stiff - reinforced with something in the middle, like thin, flexible plastic would be really effective. Any ideas where I could get something like that, or tips on sewing it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

Both of these sound like good ideas!

I want the bottom edges to fit the rounded corners of the case, so I am thinking of sewing the sides and the bottom with the case inside out, and then carefully cutting the plastic to fit inside, then sewing it in. It's not a big deal if it wiggles a little. I'll probably pick up some fabric remnants and see what I can do this week with your suggestions :)

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

HardCoil posted:

Look for HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). You can get this in 1mm sheets. It's stiff, heat shapeable and sewable.

That stuff sounds really cool!

I've run off a few decent cases thus far. I think my favourite one is UPS creepo:

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

Ballin Stalin posted:

I am a super beginner when it comes to sewing. I started off taking shirts in by hand every free minute I had in school, and so my mommy surprised me with a cute little(portable)sewing machine a week ago for Christmas.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE shirt dresses from the 1950's. I find them very classy, that all women look beautiful in them without having to dress like a skank. So I first started by looking in thrift stores for imitation styles, and that didn't go over so well. After looking on the internet and realising that these dresses are rather expensive for a young lady with lots of school, no job, and underage, thus still relying on their single mommy. Enough with the e/n. So I bought a vintage pattern off ebay (I want to say 1957?), which is really quite ambitious for someone of my..."level". Whatever. I'm determined to learn how to make these dresses because then I can have my style, say I made them myself, AND the patterns are original 1957, so it's exactly what I'm going for. I'm going to go over to a friend of my mom's house, she's going to make the dress with me this weekend. I just wanted to share pictures of the pattern, thought maybe you all would find it interesting.

This looks awesome! I really want to see how it turns out because I love these dresses too, but I'm too chicken to try them.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

The shirtdress post inspired me. Don't have high expectations please! It's my first go at dressmaking!

Important: when making your first dress, maybe don't buy an ugly 80s pattern that accounts for goddamn shoulder pads and is slouchy like this one.

Lots of fitting, fixing, and wrangling (and only ONE backward seam) later:

My first attempt at bust darts.

I'm also working on a jacket (I really need to finish it up!)

it's tight right at my shoulder/arms. I made the jacket pattern using the dress pattern and I guess I shortened the yoke and sleeves too much.

Also this bacon and egg bag I banged out makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

handbags at dawn posted:

My mom made me that dress in green way back when. And yes, if you leave out the shoulder pads it won't hang right. drat you 80s.

That bag makes me happy too :)

I'll accept weird shoulders for a total cost of $3.75... I haven't had the excuse to wear it anywhere quite yet but I'm excited to do so!