Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Quite jealous of those dapper gentlemen. I got myself my sewing machine and such as an early Xmas gift since it was on sale on Black Friday. Just a Singer Traditional but I love it so far, mostly. I do have a problem though and hopefully someone here can shed some light on it, or maybe I should ask one of my doctors.

Pretext: I have fibromyalgia that's manifest in my back and neck, along with headaches. So when I'm doing my cutting with the rotary and mat, it doesn't take long before I start getting spasms in my mid back along my spine. This is the only thing that's ever caused these, so I'm thinking I'm screwing up somehow. Is it even possible to do it wrong? Maybe I'm hunched over too much or something?

I'm 5'5", my table is about 29" tall so I do have to bend over some when I'm working with it. I've tried moving it closer to me instead of in the middle of the table to no avail. Should I sit and reach instead? Should I just mark w/ chalk while I sit and use scissors? I dread going over to my craft table because I know 10-15 minutes into cutting things out, I'll just want to cry even with my painkillers. And sometimes it happens just sitting there sewing, but I think it's just being aggravated from the previous cutting. I guess I could finish my sewing machine cover I pieced together last week and find out. Just boggles my mind I can carry around a 17 pound pug one armed w/o much issue but something that should be so simple, isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Eponine posted:

Is it the leaning, or the pressure required to use the rotary cutter that's causing problems. I'm on the smaller side (5'2") so I cut sitting on the floor with the mat on hardwood (I also mix batter and knead bread like this because I am a literal child) so that I can sit up straight with more physical leverage (instead of using muscles in my arms/shoulders/back) going into the rotary cutter. You could maybe sit on a cushion on the hard floor? I don't know if that helps at all.

I think it's the bending over because now that I think of it, I do remember a couple years ago making my ex one of those tie blankets and even on the floor I was spasming. That was sitting and bending over w/ the legs crossed, so gunna have to try some kneepads and a different position to see if that helps. Cats are gunna think I'm insane :) Thanks for all the suggestions!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Asstro Van posted:

It'll sound dumb and awkward, but if my back is bothering me it sometimes helps for me to kneel in front of my work table, so I am straight from the hips up. Stick a folded blanket or pillow under your knees to keep them from getting sore. No bending, but nice and close to the work. You need the right table:torso height for that though.

Just tried it out w/o anything under my knees and with some padding that should work! I'll try it out when I make these receiving blankets next weekend. Thanks :)

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I'm not sure if this is better asked in the knitting thread, but does anyone here have pointers for lining hand knit bags? I'm currently working on this monster since I finally have a sewing machine.

My main question is how to draft the liner. Is it really as basic as getting inside measurements? Taking into account seam allowance of course. I could try to fancy it up with a divider, pockets or zipper but I think I'll just try to line the SOB first, then I can always take it out and replace it once I get more experience. Plus I figured I'd be best trying a square bag first, then onto the pig bag fiasco of roundness. I'm also assuming I'll have to hand stitch it to the bag itself since it's way too thick, but I'm not sure which hand stitch would work best with yarn.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Captain Blaargh posted:

Hello sewing thread. Dragged this beautiful thing out of family storage way out in the country, and am in the process of cleaning it up. Already removed most of the contents of a box of Prince elbow macaroni from its guts some long dead mouse packed in there for the cold Maine winters, and now all the parts move as they should. Hopefully soon it will be used for repairs and costuming projects.

In the meantime, do you folks know a good place to find parts for treadle machines? Miraculously most every part and accessory (I even have the machine oil soaked manual sans cover) from its obviously venerable history is there, but it is missing the front slide and the belt had dry rotted to tatters as those do. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello fellow treadle owner :) I'm hoping to get mine working by next summer. It's one of those "whenever I have the time and funds" projects. The nice thing about there being sort of a resurgence of interest in them is parts are out there, mostly cannibalized. For the belt, eBay of course has a ton of leather ones if you search Singer Treadle Belt. You'll have to check the diameter and length, but they're relatively inexpensive.