Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

meltie posted:

I started small, modifying t-shirts, making baggy trousers for clubbing... If I were looking for a starting project to practice on, i'd be looking at mp3 player cases or a wallet. Utilikilt sounds like quite a good start too, they're quite blocky so any minor wobbles shouldn't matter.

I would have ti disagree with that. Good pleats are pretty hard to get done well, and a utilikilt would be a lot of work. My entire alice in wonderland costume for halloween, including double pin tucks, ruffles and the blouse, was easier than my one attempt at clean pleats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Prophet 60091 posted:

Good idea. I just borrowed a book from the library about making patterns from existing clothing. My first major project may be to make a shirt. Should be fun. :)

This brings up something odd I was wondering about when sewing jeans. What causes this rippling at the seams? Is there a way to replicate it if I created my own seam?

Isn't that just caused by the shrinking of the denim between the rows of stitching after the wash?

Goldaline posted:

I really, really need to get off my rear end on that and make a website. Unfortunately, my HTML knowledge ended in like, 1999. So I'm kind of dreading it.

I do have a blog, where I talk about what I'm working on at school, my processes, ect, it's http://www.havinghorns.blogspot.com . I usually have photos of my final works on there too.

You should just find someone who does webwork/design to make you something in exchange for some fibers work.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

RichBomb posted:

Kwik Sew 3504, slightly modified. Still debating putting a cinch and a patch on the back. I'm going to hold off doing something about the knee/thigh bulk until the denim (12 oz? Can't remember) settles a little.
Honestly they look fine, at least how they are lying in the photo. They are defiantly a looser fit than what is popular right now but they don't seem to look to awkward. Though, that also might be a function of the denim being so new/stiff that they are holding their own shape .

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Eden posted:

Nice shirt goldaline!

........aaand since we're talking about shirts (specifically business shirts), how difficult is it to alter them? It's basically impossible for my partner to find a shirt that fits properly. As a newbie sewer I didn't trust myself to do the job so told him to buy a bigger one and get it adjusted, but both that and getting one tailor-made is looking at being reeally expensive here.

If I practiced on some second-hand shirts and basted first, could it be viable?

Do you have an express? Express is basically the only place I could ever regularly find athletic cut small sized shirts that actually fit my super narrow shoulders. Any other place I would end up wearing a billowy tent. Actually GAP also has/had some too, but I only saw them for order online.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

What kind of dye? What you can and cant do will depend completely on the dye. Not all dyes will work on wool. I will say to remember that dyes are translucent and additive, so just mixing a dye to color wont work, you have to take into account the color of the fabric as well.