Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Cross_ posted:

Stopping by at the local Jo-Ann's I found out that they now carry pre-gathered fabric. Just buy a yard, add a side seam, straps, and hem it. Et voilą - the :10bux: summer dress:

Haha, you found my secret! I have some material in that exact pattern as well as about 4 others waiting for me to sew them. I've made a couple every year for 3-4 years now. Jo-Ann's only buys that fabric once a year in early spring, and when it's gone they don't order more, so you have to grab it as soon as it comes in for the best selection (usually late March/early April). They carry it in all different lengths too, from minidress to lower-calf length. Literally half my summer wardrobe is these dresses, and not one of em cost me more than 12-13 bucks to make.

All you have to do is to buy about an inch less than your bra strap size, and use a 5/8" seam allowance. I always add straps too (I'm kinda small-boobed so the straps come in handy in holding it up, haha) so add an inch or so of material for that. You don't even need to cut that material (well, you do the shirred part), it tears perfectly. This stuff is a lazy seamstresses dream.

I just finished a sundress made from sheer georgette (er, I think that's what it was...) with a lining. Woah, it was a pain, but it turned out pretty good...I'll have to get some pics posted of it.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Tear-away interfacing is what I usually use for sewing thin fiddly bits like that.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 9, 2011

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I've decreed I can sew no more till I get all my craft/sewing poo poo organized. To that end, I've been working on a wall unit to hold all my sewing/crafting stuff. I'm looking for more creative organization ideas than "put poo poo in boxes on shelves".

How do you guys keep your stuff wrangled, to prevent it taking over the house like mine currently is?

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Haha, if you add to those "and strewn over random flat surfaces", that's my current method of "organization"!

I'll post pics of my "wall" when I get it set up, maybe I can inspire someone else. January is National Organization Month, after all (or so someone told me)! ;)

I've been getting some good ideas from Pinterest. This woman was my inspiration for starting this whole project. http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2011/04/sewingcraft-room-ideas-and-updates.html I looked upon the glory of her craft room, then looked upon mine and despaired. :(

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I've finally saved up enough money and become confident enough in my current sewing abilities to move up to buying a serger (I'm dying to try making one of those Katwise Elf Coats).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good beginner machine? I'd prefer to keep it under, or at least still in the neighborhood of, 300 bucks.

Are either of these any good? Janome 7034D Janome 8002D I can't tell if there's any meaningful differences between the two, but with a 100 dollar difference, I assume there must be one...? This Brother model seems to have a lot of good reviews too.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 7, 2012