Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

I just spent hours reading this entire thread, page by page. Goldaline, you're incredible! It's also been really cool watching everyone's progress (RichBomb's jeans and workstations are so enviable it's crazy).

Just wanted to share what I made for my Draping final this past spring semester. I took a year of evening courses at FIT and did sewing, patternmaking, draping, and I'm taking a summer session of sewing II. If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them!

That's mine on the left. The skirt is a 14-gore skirt made out of African wax-print cotton. The top is kind of an eyelet fabric (not sure if that's the right description -- has embroidered dots all over it). The oversized ruffle was a freaking bitch to do. It was draped from scratch with a muslin and then traced onto paper, then onto fabric.

I also have the Brother XR9000 from Overstock. So far it's served me well. Certainly a world of difference from the industrial Juki machines I use at school, but to tell you the truth, I have never had any problems with the Brother bobbin tangling or silk shifting around like I've experienced on the Juki. I have no complaints really.

I have a few questions --

Can someone tell me the best place to buy/order an adjustable mannequin? I got an old, old adjustable one as a gift but the fabric on it is stretchy and just don't stay in place very well.

Also -- anyone know of any good tulip skirt tutorials? The kind that tapers at the knee and has pleats/tucks around the waist?

And lastly, for anyone that uses Burda to print out patterns -- is it just me or are almost all of their patterns on A4 paper? Has anyone had luck printing on a different size paper (e.g. 8x14) and just trimming it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Thanks ladies!

Another question -- does anyone recommend a good draping book for basic skirts/dresses, ideally including tucks/pleats/fullness, etc.?

I'd love one with good illustrations, too. Thanks!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

nolen posted:

I'm considering opening a sewing/fabric store within the next year (because Austin is severely lacking in good ones) and I'm curious what everyone in this thread would like to see in a sewing/fabric store.

Most stores seem to cater to the little old lady crowd and I'd like to change that up a bit and try to spark interest in the younger adult crowd. Any suggestions?

That's so cool -- good luck to you!

I can never find kitschy novelty prints that I actually like! Like vintage/vintage-style prints, english rose prints, teeny floral prints, etc.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

very posted:

Bump. I got a sewing machine yesterday and I've been messing with it. Sewing a straight line for 6" is still daunting. How do people sew an entire inseam? I guess it just takes practice.

I'm going to try some patterns with some old sheets... I need to make a bunch of mistakes so I can find out what not to do.

That's so exciting!

What kind of sewing machine did you get?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

PianoDragn posted:

Hey guys. So I haven't sewed a single thing since Middle School Home Ec. I have really been wanting a 3 piece suit but I'm too cheap to buy one. It then occured to me I should just learn to make them myself so I can make a closet full of suits for really cheap. Anyways I found a pattern online that I paid 5 bucks for, it doesn't seem to hard. The only areas I think I'll have a problem is with the button holes and the pockets. Am I greatly underestimating how hard this will be? I figure as long as you have patience and attention to detail what else is there really to it?

I agree that you won't be saving any money by making your own suit. If you want it to actually look nice, you'll have to buy somewhat decent fabric for it, which really adds up. Not to mention the cost of buttons, interfacing, thread, buttons, shoulder pads, quality scissors, rulers, rotary cutter... When I made a simple 3 button coat for Sewing II class at FIT here in NY, it cost approximately $90 for all of my materials.

I'd start with much smaller projects than suits if you haven't sewn since middle school home ec so you don't get overwhelmed/frustrated. Build up your skill level, take a class, etc. It does indeed take a lot of patience and attention to detail, a lot of do-overs, practice, skill, time... Good luck!

Edit: I'm also not convinced that a $5 pattern you bought online will be comparable to a good suit you buy in a store, so also be prepared to tailor it and adjust it to your measurements/design.

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 21, 2011

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Hey everyone - I have a time-sensitive question! I need to alter the neckline for a dress I'm wearing tomorrow night (make it a deeper neckline in front).

My question is - is it easier/faster to trace and cut out a facing for the new neckline, or using bias tape along the neckline? I've never worked with bias tape but it seems easier?

Please let me know!

Also - bias tape is sold in stores, right?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Shnooks posted:

Your dress looks gorgeous but all I could think was "gently caress LINEN". I did a bunch of studio work with linen last semester and it was a nightmare. I made a happi, like a short kimono that doesn't cross over and Japanese people wear it on festival days, out of linen. gently caress. That. poo poo.

Is linen hard to handle? I bought some vermilion linen last year to make a dress out of and now I'm worried!

I got an adjustable dressform for a belated birthday present, and I don't want to seem ungrateful but it appears to be a piece of poo poo.

It's a Twinfit by Dritz. Anyone have any experience with this model?
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2620&PRODID=prd46356

What really gets me is it's $120 online but my boyfriend bought it for me at a local shop for freaking $250. Should we just return it (or attempt to return it - the receipt said NO RETURNS)?

I really like draping and it's impossible to pin something to center-front because the plates separate to adjust to certain measurements.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Hana Dammit posted:

My piece for last week's challenge

Next challenge we were each assigned a roller girl and we must make sportswear.

That looks great! Can we get a shot of the front, too?

How many rounds are in this competition? Congrats on making it to the next round!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Coopsy posted:

I'm a fashion student and I made this from a terrible old pattern for practice. They were out of the floral I wanted to use, so corn it was. Blind hemming and manually gathering that much fabric made me feel ill. I ignored the rick-rack the pattern called for because rick-rack is gross.

Oh my god - where did you get this corn fabric?? If you have any extra yards, I will buy it from you!

Also - nice job on the dress! Did you have to manually gather it? I much prefer doing 2 rows of large stitches and pulling while holding the under-strings - so much easier. What school are you going to?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Hana Dammit posted:

I ended up using super plush and lovely velvet for the first time ever and it was both terrifying and exciting. Like cutting really expensive magic water. I made a bomb rear end green romper and a silver lamme and black spandex leotard, all layered like and stuff. My roller girl was amazing. We won crowd and judges favorite! 2/4 so far!

That romper fit her PERFECTLY. It was magic and luck. gently caress you, velvet. I win.

This weeks PS challenge was to create something using non traditional materials, and I was inspired by Laura Palmer so tonight I made a dress out of plastic wrap, glitter, and packing tape. Think Miss Twin Peaks' dress made out of the bag Laura was found in with glitter instead of gravel. Pictures will come after Friday.

Also you left us hanging with this post, Hana Dammit! I desperately want to know how the Laura Palmer dress came out.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

nonconsensualninja posted:

Can someone suggest a good sewing class in the bay area? I'm in Concord, specifically.

I don't know the bay area well, but I'd look around for local colleges that offer sewing classes, or even better, at a fashion school specifically. A lot of places just let you take classes without applying for the degree program. I'm really glad I took a few basic classes at FIT in NY just to get me started. I feel a lot more motivated, bought a sewing machine, and don't feel completely lost when starting new projects.

Edit: Thanks for posting the corn fabric link! Now I know what my next project will be after I finish finals.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Quick question: I'm making a panel-and-godet skirt. I have no serger. What are some ways to do a seam finish, given the triple junction that godets create?

I'm more of a beginner so please keep that in mind, but pinking shears are pretty good in a pinch. Plus, you don't need to deal with seam tape or anything.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Amazing work!!!

Are those little pleats or pintucks around the collar? The detailing is so crazy.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Doesn't that make your waistband super bulky? I have a bunch of skirts I really want to take in, but I was under the impression that I'd have to remove the waist band, take in the darts, then readjust the length of the waistband and resew it on.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Goldaline posted:

They finish at 4.5 inches, so they're about 5 inches right now. Lots of teeny little pieces--the tiny flying geese on the second to last one were especially tough.

So glad you are back!!! Your posts are always incredible. Can't wait to see more new stuff!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Shnooks posted:

So, I have a couple of T-shirts that are too short for my liking, or too loose around the bottom, but I really like them

Any suggestions on lengthening them? I was thinking of getting some knit fabric and making a band around the bottom, but I wasn't sure how dumb that would look.

Hmm... sort of like this? http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-your-t-shirt-into-a-fitted-dress/ I think that'd be cute! I'd probably start the skirt higher rather than doing a drop waist look.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

handbags at dawn posted:

Put a piece of paper underneath the material wide enough to catch the feed dogs. After you sew, you can rip the paper off. I know a lady who likes to make "stained-glass" quilts and she swears by Glad Press-n-Seal for this purpose. NOT Saran Wrap, it's kind of sticky on one side wax paper.

I also hear tissue paper is great for this. And if you're desperate, toilet paper.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Where do you folks buy dress forms? I've been looking at a few on ebay (like this one but I really have no clue what the quality is like. I haven't had much luck finding them at brick-and-mortar stores like Joanne's (don't think there are any around me). Craigslist is such a headache, dealing with people who can't send a proper email. Anyone have any suggestions?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Comrade Quack posted:

Do you want one you can adjust for multiple sizes or is it just for yourself? Because if it's just for yourself there are a bunch of DIY tutorials for making your own.

As for pattern paper I sometimes use the large pads of tracing paper, but I think my favorite might be plastic coated freezer paper. It's thin enough I can trace through it, easy to cut, sturdy enough to get a few reuses. I really it like it for tiny pieces and applique work; you can trace your pattern on to it, iron it on to the fabric, cut the fabric and peel the paper back off. I've only tried it with fleece and felt though.

It's mainly for myself but I'd really like to find one that will last a long time and that I don't have to cover myself in duct tape for.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Sarsaparilla posted:

Joann's are on sale for 99$ this season - which is an amazing deal.

http://www.joann.com/joann/search/searchall.jsp?qsearch=dress+form&keyword=_usrch%3Adress+form

Thanks! Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'm looking for a professional non-adjustable muslin-covered one. I got a Dritz adjustable one as a gift last year and had to return it because I can't drape on it if there's a big plastic dial in the middle of the bust/waist!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

PiratePing posted:

I got a sewing machine for christmas!

I understand that the fact that I already feel like throwing it off the fire escape is a natural part of the learning process? After exams I'm going to sit down and make ugly things until they get beautiful

Take a class! Even if it's like a 2 day thing, it'll be worth it. You'll get the hang of it soon.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Hana Dammit posted:

Oh my god. All of the pics you posted are magical but I really want that blue cagey thing!

(Will you sell it to me? )

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

I got a Brother 1034D 3/4 Lay-In Thread Serger for a reasonable price online about a year ago but haven't yet figured out how to use it for knits/stretch fabrics without making the edge weird and ruffly and wavy. Anyone have any advice/online resources I could take a look at?

Edit: Goldaline: Your poo poo is amazing. Are those asymmetrical pockets?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

This is a very basic question, but I'm really new to knitwear. How do I make a waistband like this? There is no elastic inside. The waistband is just made of the same material as the rest of the skirt/leggings.

I don't think it's just a foldover waist that's folded inwards and sewn in, because the front seam doesn't match up on the waistband. But if it's a separate foldover waistband that you sandwich with the rest of the skirt, there's no topstitching or anything, so how do I attach the inside waistband seam?

Edit:

This blog answered my question!
http://shwinandshwin.blogspot.com/2012/03/no-hem-leggings.html

No sandwiching involved -- wow, so easy! Totally going to make some high waisted leggings and skirts this winter.

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 27, 2012

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Is there any reason not to just make them the same way you would a regular yoke? I mean the blog method also seems fine, I just would have suggested a yoke pattern and I'm not sure if there is a reason to avoid that.

You mean making a yoke and having a hem at the top? You wouldn't get the stretchy waistband effect then.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

This is going a little over my head! How would that look/work?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Right, but the point of having the two layer tube shaped waistband on top is so that your pants don't fall down... If you just hemmed the top it wouldn't be structurally solid (wrinkles, stretching) and also you'd have to pull them up all the time, no?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Ok, I'll admit it. I saw Spring Breakers and now want black sweatpants with "DTF" on the butt. Are there any silver metallic (or white) iron-on sheets out there? Or large 4 inch letters I could iron on? My Google fu is failing me.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

sithwitch13 posted:

I found a couple of easy Simplicity patterns on sale and decided to get bold. Today I tried my hand at a cardigan:

It took me five hours, several instances of having to rip the seams and start over (including one sleeve sewed on inside-out) but I feel very slightly better about my ability to read and follow a pattern now. Plus it's comfy as hell, I used a nice medium-weight jersey fabric I found on sale yesterday.

Beautiful! Awesome job. I really want to get into making things with jersey.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

The lil bub hat is so !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Anyone have experience lowering the crotch on a jumpsuit or pants by inserting a gusset? 🤗