Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
post em if you got em

sorry for being so late on dis train

links to 1600x1200 wallpaper version

edit: i did this one too just now

oh wait, edits work the same way

gauss fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Vermain posted:

how long did this take to make lol

2 hours
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2702351&pagenumber=2#post336637153
i declared intent in this thread
shooting for half an hour, as if i could have done johnny any justice in that short a time frame

i am glad to inspire moderate unironic sentiment

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
sir k no dooooon't

i didn't get banned last night, mods please oh please have mercy on us and a guy despite the fact that all of us might be better off with the banning ;_;

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

ExZippo posted:

gauss that's awesome you're awesome could you do more pictures/post more pictures of your videogame art please

i think this was initially going to be for work but since it's mostly just a study in how much better Craig Mullins is than me rather than a concept with anything interesting about it, i suppose i'll post it here.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

bhlaab posted:

are you the gone with the blastwave guy

what does that even meaaaaan

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

The Flying Milton posted:

Craig Mullins is my hero.

i always load up his site when i want to get angry inside and feel bad about my drawings

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

bhlaab posted:

well youre apparently some guy so what kind of guy are you

a guy who's in the industry but not actually working as a concept artist right now, go fig

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

bhlaab posted:

what did you do half life or summat

i've done concept work on a couple of titles you might recognize. hellgate (lol) i only drew modeling sheets for a few characters, didn't even concept them (but i'll still put it on the resume), designed a bunch of vehicles for the now totally dead auto assault. that's about it for my greatest hits so far. other work is either NDA or got canned.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
i'm working on a little game you never heard of, from a new company you never heard of either, so don't bother. Borderlands does look cool though. i like mechanical/vehicle design.

Latina Pride posted:

Anything that looked good get canned?

well here's one of the designs i did for auto assault, probably my favorite

edit: it's for the human faction, which had some mildly retarded design constraints you had to work with, for instance had to have a front gun, a turret, and those blue glow bars all over the loving place. just fyi.

gauss fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 4, 2007

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Rivi posted:

Camel toe is missing

haha yeah as segaholic and others pointed out. i was trying to nail all the particulars but in making the pose sliiightly more natural i hosed that one up. oh well :gbsmith:

edit oh man look at how i'm nailing these pages
let's put a picture here too

gauss fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 4, 2007

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

bhlaab posted:

can you confirm a suspicioun that ive always had

is there a tendency for artists to get their concepts back from the head designer with notes like "BIGGER CANS" or "MORE MUSCLES"

or do the notes the artist works from say
"spunky female rebel. only thing she can handle better than a monkey wrench is a rifle! BIG CANS. SHOULD WEAR SOME SORT OF SPANDEX THING WITH A HUGE V CUT OUT OF THE MIDDLE SO YOU CAN SEE AT LEAST 2/3s OF EACH CAN"

art directors, like just about any boss, come in all different flavors. sometimes they give you exceedingly specific instructions or detailed feedback, sometimes not. sometimes it's just "make it look just like X or Y, but not so close that we get sued."
those are usually the worst.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

bhlaab posted:

like this one

did the guy say "make her tits hanging out. i dont care how contrived the costume has to be, make her tits hanging out"

ahahah no, i drew her that way because it was fun. that piece wasn't for work.

also more boobs come out if i don't have a girlfriend at the time :iiam:

Harrm: yeah mostly Photoshop but also Painter. even a little bit of artrage too, occasionally, like on the chick on this page.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Crucified posted:

in fact you can always tell an art director because they're the ones wearing jeans with meticulously crafted tears in them, a button up shirt with a tie that doesn't match anything and a v-neck sweater with the sleeves rolled up

and they always have thick black glasses and really ugly watches

and then you go up to them and you're like "you're an art director aren't you" and they go "dude how'd you know"

haha
this sounds about right but thankfully most of my work has been remote contract up until now. so their hipster douchiness was unseen by me

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

ExZippo posted:

Gauss could you do a syndicate agent with a gauss gun? (get it??!!)

here's a refrence

i think i've drawn, or attempted to draw a syndicate agent at some point, that game was the best.

and i sorta kinda did take my name from that game. sort of. one of those one-off names you pick at randoms but then it grows on you, that and Gauss was a pretty awesome guy.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Khanstant posted:

god drat i wish i didnt suck so hard at painter

painter is a right oval office to get a handle on. my only advice is after you've noodled around with the approximately 4 billion tools, just pick one or two that you seem to be able to control a little and use that one or two exclusively. like this johnny pic, though it was photoshop and not painter, i did it all with only a single basic textured round.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

SchoolSucks1842 posted:

so close yet so far

here you go schoolsucks

links to 1600x1200
that should be big enough, resize or crop as necessary

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
entirely unnecessary friend, don't sweat it :snoop:

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Surgey posted:

gauss what did you use for this? did you do the whole thing in photoshop or did you use charcoal and watercolor and such?

a lot of pieces i'll tag team photoshop and painter, but this one was just photoshop. noodle around with the texture settings on brushes--i used one of the defaults on this one.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Sparr posted:

this one is awesome. i dont know if i want or need to do any more zybourne tribute pieces, but this one would be fun.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Gvaz posted:

no idea wtf that is

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2681865

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

g.r. technical posted:

Did they just invent the term electropunk or something?

so long as it has dudes sporting monocle vision aids some sort, it can be steampunk or electropunk or subgenrepunk all it wants

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

wise old hitachi posted:

gauss did you ever go to anything like an art school or take an art course in anything ever at all

yeah, i did. majored in industrial design in college, so i drew a bunch of swoopy cars and coffee machines for a time, though i knew i was going to work on games. previous to that i've drawn since childhood. i've been using photoshop for like 11 years now and have been using it to draw for 7 of those, which is kind of creepy.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Sigma-X posted:

Honestly Gauss out of all the people that I would have wanted to see do this you're at the top because I love pretty much everything you post on polycount

This is fantastic and you have replaced my wallpaper at home and soon at work (I am home sick today :(

you didn't catch my reply on the games Axemaniac tribute pic--what's your nick on polycount? i should definitely know who you are especially if you're in champaign.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Sigma-X posted:

Ghostscape on polycount.

yeah i figured i'd know you :) given that there are only a handful of polycounters in CU. you at volition?

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

etalian posted:

Just when I was beginning to think that Johnny pics are getting unfunny and cliched this thread comes along.

you gotta have some faith bro thats all

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Sparr posted:

ahahahahahahah
transcendent johnny

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

wajack! posted:

hey guys some losers though up a lovely idea for lovely game and here's this lovely concept art LoLOLOLOlolOllol1ol111

i beg your pardon

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Cosmonaut posted:

I love johnny.

Sparr posted:

MrCringerpants posted:

what is johnny doing in the alps?

amazing
i may have to pony up one of these 'historical' type interpretations of johnny with all these :)

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Mechanigma posted:

This thread.
This loving thread.

seriously it does keep getting better somehow
icing on the cake replacing the text behind his head... wow

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
♠♠♠♠Johnny.jpg♠♠♠♠
:swoon: :swoon:

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

PipeRifle posted:

wahahahaha

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Concordat posted:

no one posted this picture that Chill Penguin drew from the last thread I think

is this also his work? i think i saw this in FYAD

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
what

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
thanks guys, but all due credit for Sparr's original pic.
here's a few bonus pics.
quick sketch for the plane-blimp

and for all you diehard Scholtz fans, here's a detail (at the original rez it was painted at) of the man at work:

Rev. Attris the thread starter pic took 2 hours, but this was pretty involved so it was more like 5 hours

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Logicat posted:

hey i just clicked on this to find out if some people wanted to make some arts for this thing

i just talked to docevil and we need to prepare a little sample to show lowtax and i wanted to ask gauss if he could come up with a sort of "cover" like in the style of those sci-fi novel covers with all the gadgetry and stuff in the background cityscape and then the characters with really corny emotional looks on their face or whatever in the foreground haha

the pics he made in this thread are awesome

yeah, i can do a pulp style cover... check this out for instance, it was for a contract to do with pulp takes on Paradise Lost. something like that but even hammier, totally doable.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Villain posted:

somehow, i dont think i will ever regret this one

congrats and all but if this is real i SWEAR TO ALL OF YOU RIGHT NOW, IF THERE IS ANY MORE OF THIS GOONY BULLSHIT I AM NEVER POSTING ANY MORE ART FOR YOU SLAPDICKS. serious post.

if you do this kind of bullshit, keep it to yourself. i don't want to have even a tangential role in goons' exercising their poor decision making skills in this manner.

edit: freaked out a little over a bad photoshop (lets be honest goons do dumber things regularly and post about them), hope you enjoy this page and a half of drama reading through this thread in the future

time works the same way

gauss fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 10, 2007

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
it looks fake but seriously, cut that poo poo out. and no i'm not going to close the thread. this is still YCS babby

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

nachobox posted:

I only looked at the first and last page of this thread what the hell disaster happened in between??

nothing, don't worry. we're going to stop giving the trolls airtime now

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
and dammit gumball dad give me your dad's email address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Gumball Dad posted:

why you wanna meet him or something?