Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ScienceSeagull posted:

That was a real art exhibition, and the book was DeLillo's Point Omega: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hour_Psycho#Aftermath

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I thought this was in All Systems Red but it wasn’t. Maybe one of the sequels.

Main character party is hyper capitalist hellhole negotiates help with opposing team/company but the opposing side is even more capitalist hellhole then they realized and chastises hero for bad negotiations as they’ll become slaves/lose their gear/land. But they turn it around.

If it’s not all systems red it feels like it could be The Lost Fleet?

Doing a reread of Martha Wells still, a scene very much like this was in 'Network Effect' where the captain of the transport wants to negotiate to release the protags after they delivered free repair equipment. But in my head it was on a planet and the reversal involved them needing more help. But tentatively I'm thinking I just misremembered Network Effect.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snuffman posted:

Too much Helldivers 2 is poisoning my brain but also caused me to dimly recall a sci-fi short story that I'd like to read again:

Humanity is fighting an endless war against some lizard people and the story follows a marine as he rises through the ranks.

First he's a soldier, then he becomes a pilot but to be a pilot they saw your head off so you take up less space, then they take his brain out cause the head is a waste of space and all you need is your brain hooked up to a computer at the current rank. All along the commanders keep repeating don't worry you'll get X body part back when the war is over.

And it goes on and on until he's talking about how he's now an AI doing vast calculations where on some vast level to win this huge abstract war they're controlling a race of lizard people who are fighting these hairless apes.

I'm sure I remember this one too but it doesn't seem to be in the James Tiptree or Alastair Reynolds collections which are the only sci-fi short stories I've read in the last couple of years.

Does it begin with the main character enlisting, and there's a captured lizard alien/s in a cage nearby?

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
I remember it too, I think at the end with the abstraction they kept talking about wars across dimension stacks or potential stacks - wasn't a published story was it, it was an online/Web novel pushed by the author?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I've read that and want to say it was an Alastair Reynolds or Peter Watts short story..