Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy poo poo I've tried everything, that's hard.

I've seen so many titles now. "The New Vegan Torment" "The New Never Tremble" "The New Regret Trouble" "The New Secret Tomorrow"

It's gonna be embarrassing if the second word ends up not being "new"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

Holy poo poo I've tried everything, that's hard.

I've seen so many titles now. "The New Vegan Torment" "The New Never Tremble" "The New Regret Trouble" "The New Secret Tomorrow"

It's gonna be embarrassing if the second word ends up not being "new"

It's longer than "The", I think it's four letters. :smith:
Maybe it's The Next _ _?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I wasn't sure if that was resized to help the typeface fit the yellow building(?)

I did a number of yellow building searches that didn't help.

My kid is sleeping on me, this is the biggest thing I've got going on rn

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's longer than "The", I think it's four letters. :smith:
Maybe it's The Next _ _?

that's what I thought too

also, isn't the third line two words? "in the"?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

I don't know how much this will help, but I tried.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The New Babel Tower is what I see

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I want to say the third word is Review.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That’s what I see too. The new review does release collections with titles like “the new review economy” so it’s possibly one of those

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Rural Juror

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

maybe a screen recording could help

https://i.imgur.com/uFkpMvc.mp4

man netflix is lovely quality lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve just realised the black shape is probably a gun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It looks like there's a gun in the cover with a silencer. Maybe a rerelease of some spy thriller?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It looks like there's a gun in the cover with a silencer. Maybe a rerelease of some spy thriller?

That made me think "You Only Live Twice" but there's no cover that matches that, although one comes close:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
It's been solved in the other thread, FYI:

Canteen Medal posted:

Could be The new revolutionaries;: A handbook of the international radical left

https://www.amazon.com/new-revolutionaries-handbook-international-radical/dp/B0006DXE6S

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

uvar posted:

It's been solved in the other thread, FYI:

Holy poo poo, that's hard mode.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

splitting the final word was cheating!! :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Those BASTARDS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God I tried searching The New Revolutionary last night, because I wondered if it was a split word, but didn’t get that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

Those BASTARDS

Cheaters had higher-res images to work from. :bahgawd:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Help. I've just been reminded of a book I read probably 25-30 years ago and only remember bits of. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

The synopsis I remember is that the book's set in a virtual RPG where something has gone wrong (maybe people being trapped, this is late 80's to 90's so litrpg tropes before litrpg was a thing), and one of the creators who'd long left the company is called back in to troubleshoot.

The points I remember most are that the character called back in was the original combat system designer, who was an olympic level fencer who's too old to be competitive now, and originally was the sole character with the 'bard' class.

This is going to bug me for days, I can almost see the cover art. It was not a good book, but I read pretty much any trash fantasy/SF I could get my hands on then.

It might have been early-mid 1990's, I think I read it somewhere around 1995.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
The year is all wrong but it vaguely sounds like Reamde by Neal Stephenson

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is it In The Net Of Dreams by William Mark Simmons?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Liquid Communism posted:

Help. I've just been reminded of a book I read probably 25-30 years ago and only remember bits of. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

The synopsis I remember is that the book's set in a virtual RPG where something has gone wrong (maybe people being trapped, this is late 80's to 90's so litrpg tropes before litrpg was a thing), and one of the creators who'd long left the company is called back in to troubleshoot.

The points I remember most are that the character called back in was the original combat system designer, who was an olympic level fencer who's too old to be competitive now, and originally was the sole character with the 'bard' class.

This is going to bug me for days, I can almost see the cover art. It was not a good book, but I read pretty much any trash fantasy/SF I could get my hands on then.

It might have been early-mid 1990's, I think I read it somewhere around 1995.

"Lead character designed the combat system" is straight out of Snow Crash.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wizzardstaff posted:

Is it In The Net Of Dreams by William Mark Simmons?

That's the loving thing, I knew that cover was familiar. Thanks!

Robert Remington Ripley the loving third, how did I not remember that protagonist.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 26, 2022

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Short story involving a company that creates genetically modified mini-dinosaurs as a sort of designer pet/living toy. They're semi-sapient, and can talk. The story mainly focuses on a shelter for abandoned and neglected mini-dinosaurs. I think there's a bit where the dinosaurs sing a Barney-esque song that they're all genetically programmed to know.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

ScienceSeagull posted:

Short story involving a company that creates genetically modified mini-dinosaurs as a sort of designer pet/living toy. They're semi-sapient, and can talk. The story mainly focuses on a shelter for abandoned and neglected mini-dinosaurs. I think there's a bit where the dinosaurs sing a Barney-esque song that they're all genetically programmed to know.

That sounds familiar. I used to have this anthology, and on the basis that I might have read it in there it might be 'Rex' by David Gerrold.

On the other hand I don't think I've still got it and can't find it online so I can't check.

quote:

REX - Have you ever wanted a pet dinosaur? A cute little mini-dino? The T-Rex can be very convenient.

quote:

“Rex” [1993 short story]

Synopsis: The family’s pet Tyrannasaurus Rex becomes another weapon in the war between husband and wife.

quote:

Gerrold, David: "Rex", the only carnivore in spoiled little Jill Fillman's miniature dinosaur collection, has been so overfed that his aggression and size allow him to escape his enclosure regularly, but the greatest toll is on the Fillmans' marriage. Jonathan feels that the main difference between tyrant-lizard and tyrant-child is that Rex eats hearts only once...

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 29, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ScienceSeagull posted:

The Measure of All Things, by Richard Chwedyk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Probably not the story in question, but Ted Chiang has a similar one called "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" in Exhalation.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Runcible Cat posted:

The Measure of All Things, by Richard Chwedyk

Thanks, that's it! And yeah, I recently read Lifecycle of Software Objects, which is what reminded me of it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Coming in hot from the white whale thread:

A low grade fantasy series that came out in short installments.

One of the main characters is a Conan type (shocker I know) who ends up trapped in some spell like encasing him in amber for several years (want to say 15), and I think is rescued by his son who was an infant at the time (so very similar to Dragon Quest 5). What drives me crazy is I recall a useless passage that he is conscious while stuck in the pillar, and had an itchy nose for over a year of his imprisonment.

I remember reading bits and pieces in the late 80's early 90's.

It was also a multi installment book, think that happens in book 2 or 3

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fifteen years and an itchy nose is the only thing that crops up?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Brawnfire posted:

Fifteen years and an itchy nose is the only thing that crops up?

Haha

Well there's also yhe infant son growing up to rescue him from the amber pillar (a wizard put him there)

I think his party is stuck as well, and i want to say theres a dwarf and a mat cauthorn type character with them.

Dude might have also been a prince and returned to his kingdom in ruins

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I read this somewhat recently but can't remember the name or the author:
the book is SF and it's told from the POV of a soldier who wakes from cold sleep or whatever in a space ship and has to go attack aliens. Him and his buddies get beaten and he's taken into the alien ship. Turns out they're humans and he's a clone or something manipulated by the aliens into finding and destroying humans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

A National Acrobat posted:

the book is SF and it's told from the POV of a soldier who wakes from cold sleep or whatever in a space ship and has to go attack aliens. Him and his buddies get beaten and he's taken into the alien ship. Turns out they're humans and he's a clone or something manipulated by the aliens into finding and destroying humans.

reminds me of black mirror s3e5 but its not that. its an oft-used device for sure

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pretty sure it's Alan Dean Foster, one of the Damned series, specifically Book 2, A False Mirror. It takes a little while to get to that scene though, I think.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 8, 2022

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

Pretty sure it's Alan Dean Foster, one of the Damned series, specifically Book 2, A False Mirror. It takes a little while to get to that scene though, I think.

no, this is a standalone and it's a newer book (last couple of years)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

light brigade by kameron hurley? if thats not it idgaf cause its super good v 2

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

no, this is a standalone and it's a newer book (last couple of years)

Oh, hell, you're right, I read that one too. Hang on. Activation Degradation by Marina J. Lostetter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

Oh, hell, you're right, I read that one too. Hang on. Activation Degradation by Marina J. Lostetter.

yes! thank you.