Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

xiw posted:

(yes that's a nearly 6 year old post that's been bugging me the whole time)

itt followups are never late imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

xiw posted:

(yes that's a nearly 6 year old post that's been bugging me the whole time)

Bloody hell Xiw, thanks man! That's been bugging me for nigh on 20 years - AND while digging through ebay trying to find a copy (no ebooks exist) I found another one I've been chasing: The Eyes of Heisenberg.

Man, I (and since it's been bothering you, you must have read it too) must have read a LOT of Frank Herbert back in the day.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A book I read somewhere eons ago has been bothering me but it’s been so long that I’m not even sure what I remember as being really part of it and what’s constructed. Don’t have much to go on either.

Woman posing as a man to be a knight (super narrows it down,) and all I really remember is that she goes to confront one of the bad guys and he poisons her. I think the scene takes place in some botanical garden, with them hunting each other between the plants until he gets the better of her, bails and her friend/lover/??? shows up to save her.

I remember a fairly decent cover with a woman in black plate armor and the paperback was absolutely thicc but beyond that it’s been lost to time and a thousand different spy and action movies with similar climaxes. Thought I’d ask though, been bugging me for years.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Orv posted:

A book I read somewhere eons ago has been bothering me but it’s been so long that I’m not even sure what I remember as being really part of it and what’s constructed. Don’t have much to go on either.

Woman posing as a man to be a knight (super narrows it down,) and all I really remember is that she goes to confront one of the bad guys and he poisons her. I think the scene takes place in some botanical garden, with them hunting each other between the plants until he gets the better of her, bails and her friend/lover/??? shows up to save her.

I remember a fairly decent cover with a woman in black plate armor and the paperback was absolutely thicc but beyond that it’s been lost to time and a thousand different spy and action movies with similar climaxes. Thought I’d ask though, been bugging me for years.

That is Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe

Orv
May 4, 2011

navyjack posted:

That is Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe

Regrettably I can definitively tell you it’s not because I read New Sun for the first time a couple years ago and was very much not a fan. It is pretty funny that it matches my extremely vague choice of wording almost to the letter though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, it's a fascinating retelling of the story where Severian and Agia are the same person. Maybe that will happen at some point in the cosmic cycle.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My memory has become an unending cyclopean ruin from which there is no surcease but unfortunately I’m not quite that far gone.

I should try rereading New Sun though, I’ve never had such a violent reaction to the prose of a book and I feel like I’m really on the wrong side of history there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think its ash by mary gentle

Orv
May 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

i think its ash by mary gentle

Looking over what I can find it isn’t ringing any immediate bells but it’s around the right time and is definitely the kind of thing I’d have read around then. Unfortunately, from some of what I’m reading. Will give it a shot, thanks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Orv posted:

Looking over what I can find it isn’t ringing any immediate bells but it’s around the right time and is definitely the kind of thing I’d have read around then. Unfortunately, from some of what I’m reading. Will give it a shot, thanks.

yea on second thought i think youre right, its not it

its not fantastic but its not bad either. i liked about half of it, unfortunately spread equally over the chapters

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s conceptually really interesting but yeah some of the stuff I was reading about it was not great, let’s say.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

teen novel where the sidekick character is a conceptual artist with a weird car

his final project for art class is, if memory serves, running a wedding cake through a car wash

probably a korman or spinelli

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Probably a long shot, but I'm trying to remember a comic book from the late 90s. Pretty sure it was image. The only thing I remember is a superhuman shows up floating in New York? and they scramble fighter jets to see what's up, and this guy catches one telekinetically and disassembles it into all it's various parts while holding em (and the pilot) in the air.

Think the super guy was black, but I'm not 100% on that. His uniform thing was a red and white bodysuit I think.

Any help's appreciated!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Probably a long shot, but I'm trying to remember a comic book from the late 90s. Pretty sure it was image. The only thing I remember is a superhuman shows up floating in New York? and they scramble fighter jets to see what's up, and this guy catches one telekinetically and disassembles it into all it's various parts while holding em (and the pilot) in the air.

Think the super guy was black, but I'm not 100% on that. His uniform thing was a red and white bodysuit I think.

Any help's appreciated!

Emissary?

He doesn't disassemble the plane but maybe you're thinking of Dr. Manhattan.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

hexwren posted:

teen novel where the sidekick character is a conceptual artist with a weird car

his final project for art class is, if memory serves, running a wedding cake through a car wash

probably a korman or spinelli

Korman's Son of Interflux? It takes place at a high school for the arts.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Action Jacktion posted:

Emissary?

He doesn't disassemble the plane but maybe you're thinking of Dr. Manhattan.

That's it!

Thanks man. I've had that panel with him holding the jet in my head for the last week or so and could not remember the name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

He's very big.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well duh, it's all about that BBC.

Big Buoyant Character.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to remember a book I read in middle school. It a science fiction book about people mining comets, I believe. I'm pretty sure the first line was "Kato died first." which cracked my friends up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hooah posted:

"Kato died first."

That really ceterums my censeos.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I guess I should just give up on DuckDuckGo as a search engine. I tried that first and got nothing. First hit on Google was correct: "Heart of the Comet" by David Brin.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

A thread in the new Scholastic Book Fair forum made me think of this:

In primary school, so 1988 to 1992, there was a picture book that I absolutely adored and I always pulled it out to pour over the illustrations whenever we went to the library. It was a book about a particular street in a city over time, I think from its founding and up to the then-present day, and finally another page imagining what it might look like in the 21st century. I remember especially the nineteenth century page with horse-drawn carts on the road and gas street lights. I loved that page most of all.

I don’t remember what the book was called or what any of the words might have said—I was only in it for the pictures. I vaguely think the city was Providence, Rhode Island, but I really can’t be sure of that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ortho posted:

In primary school, so 1988 to 1992, there was a picture book that I absolutely adored and I always pulled it out to pour over the illustrations whenever we went to the library. It was a book about a particular street in a city over time, I think from its founding and up to the then-present day, and finally another page imagining what it might look like in the 21st century. I remember especially the nineteenth century page with horse-drawn carts on the road and gas street lights. I loved that page most of all.

I don’t remember what the book was called or what any of the words might have said—I was only in it for the pictures. I vaguely think the city was Providence, Rhode Island, but I really can’t be sure of that.

probably not either, but Will Eisner's Dropsie Avenue and Crumb's Short History of America come to mind.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 22, 2023

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Ortho posted:

That sounds like A Street Through Time illustrated by Steve Noon.

https://youtu.be/Vog1shTL6f0

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

wizzardstaff posted:

It sounds a lot like it, but "A street through time" was published in 1998. Could it be something by Peter Spier? The Legend of New Amsterdam perhaps?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I was thinking it might be a Stephen Biesty book, the guy who does all the cross sections. In fact that's who I remember creating A Street Through Time and I had to do a double take when I searched it just now.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There is a good collection of "picture book stories across time" at... oh, it's offline. Wayback Machine to the rescue!

https://web.archive.org/web/2013032...nges-over-time/

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

wizzardstaff posted:

It looked a lot like that—that style of illustration and spread across the whole page—but this was definitely an ‘80s book. I was in high school in 1998.

It’s a book I haven’t thought about in a thousand years and I wish I could remember more about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
YA book I read in the 90s that had a segment where teens soaked tennis balls in lighter fluid, lit them on fire, and hit them around

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think that was called the Anarchist Cookbook

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's a liveleak video from back in the day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
People did this at Action Park in the tank dodgems that shot tennis balls.

voltaireodactyl
Jul 22, 2019

life in the time of deepfakes
If anyone can help me track this down I’d be stunned and forever grateful — there was a fantasy book probably released sometime in the 80s or early 90s. It was about a small group of kids on a quest to meet a mythical beast figure that I dimly remember as vaguely centaur like, potentially called the Stag or something of that nature.

There was also a sugary candy motif throughout — I think the mythic beast dug candy. I believe that was the first book in which I encountered marzipan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Data Graham posted:

I think that was called the Anarchist Cookbook

the tennis ball in the anarchist's cookbook involved strike-anywhere match heads.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

voltaireodactyl posted:

If anyone can help me track this down I’d be stunned and forever grateful — there was a fantasy book probably released sometime in the 80s or early 90s. It was about a small group of kids on a quest to meet a mythical beast figure that I dimly remember as vaguely centaur like, potentially called the Stag or something of that nature.

There was also a sugary candy motif throughout — I think the mythic beast dug candy. I believe that was the first book in which I encountered marzipan.

He's less a centaur and more an anthropomorphic moose, but are you thinking of The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

GrayGriffin posted:

He's less a centaur and more an anthropomorphic moose, but are you thinking of The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles?

That's exactly what popped into my head too

voltaireodactyl
Jul 22, 2019

life in the time of deepfakes

GrayGriffin posted:

Opopanax posted:

That's exactly what popped into my head too

This is exactly it, you beautiful geniuses, both of you.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another successful goon project!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hi, thread. Looking for a short story that a teacher read to us once when I was in grade 8 (around 13ish I guess?). I think it may have been by Eudora Welty or Flannery O’Connor or someone writing in a similar vein. Basic plot is a new girl comes to a small town and there are two boys who vie for her affections. The story ends with the girl getting hit by a car (truck? Bus?) as she’s running to cross the street where the two boys are standing with big bouquets of flowers. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

City on the Edge of Forever by Harlan Ellison?

(I kid, I kid)