Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, here goes. T'is the season for me to once again try to find a book from my childhood. I just learned about this thread, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Christmas kids picture book, large, possibly hard-covered, illustrations were similar to stained glass

The facts, from what I recall:

- read it sometime between 1985-93

- more about the artwork: everything had a thick black outline to it, filled with I believe solid colours. Likely no gradual shading, or anything that looked like it was coloured using pencil crayons. Nothing actually looked like glass texture, however, it's just that the colours were sectioned off. It's almost like it was a colouring book that was already professionally coloured.

- artwork filled the pages, wasn't a lot of white space, if any at all

- was probably larger than a normal 8.5x11 sized book.

- one element I remember more clearly than others was that there was a big red candle in at least one of the illustrations, with a big yellow flame on top of it, which looked a lot like the kind you'd put outside your home as a decoration. Another vague image coming into my mind right now is that it showed a few houses covered in snow. Specific, I know (:rolleyes:)

- not silly or goofy whatsoever. Meant for children, but not in a cartoonish way. Like a classic book for kids.

- likely didn't feature many characters

- might've had a nutcracker in one of the pictures

- might have been a version of The Night Before Christmas.

- that being said, I don't cleary remember any of the words, nor do I remember the cover.

I've been trying to find this book for literally decades now, and I don't even think I'm prepared for the emotions I'll feel if I ever see it again. I'm forever grateful for any help anyone might be able to give.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

as others mentioned, this sounds very jugend (see also art nouveau)

sarah bernhardt posters are a classic example of that style:

Thank you! Parts of these seem a bit familiar, but I remember the book I'm thinking of being not nearly as detailed.

Edit: and thanks to the other goons helping out, too! :glomp:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 15, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Take some pics and share with the class cause I'm interested too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

threedaycrash posted:

I sent a pm about it this morning, no response yet. I can always email the pdf to whoever wants it if the answer is no.

I'd love a copy!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy shiiiiit, that is one hell of a 15 or so page ender.

Wow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Without direct spoilers, imagine reading, over many pages, about just this hellscape that's ripping, tearing, and eating everyone alive.

It's pretty neat!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I swear this is a book and not a movie but I can't think where I read up on it. Its a book about a space habitat in this deadend trade route thats falling apart and basically lawless at this point. Something is happening on it and theres a long forgotten chamber buried deep in the station that is the center of it that almost no one remember. Does anyone have an idea on what I have stuck in my head?

This isn't it (I don't think), but you're request reminded me of Harlen Ellison's short story "Life Hutch". In it, an astronaut wakes up in a derelict Life Hutch, which is some sort of small outpost in space, I think like an interstellar rest area, after being knocked out, I believe by gunfire or an explosion.

What the situation he finds himself in is that there's a motion activated gun turret pointed right at him that's about a second and a half away from shooting. He can't breathe too quickly, can't even blink too quickly or the thing will kill him, and he has to figure out how to get out.

Pretty neat read!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 17, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's apparently a VR game based on it that came out last year.

Whoa, whaaaaaaat? Oh my god, I have to check that out. Not that I have a VR system or anything.

Also, if I remember the ending of Life Hutch correctly, that'd be... interesting to do in VR.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Months ago, I posted about a Christmas book that I was looking for. I might've found it, but I only have the cover to go by. Can anyone help? Maybe I'm bad at Google?

The book's name is Santa Claus Toy Book, and it's by Florence Notter, originally published in 1913. I literally just need to see one page, and I'll know if it's the one I've been looking for.

For reference, this is my original post about it....

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, here goes. T'is the season for me to once again try to find a book from my childhood. I just learned about this thread, so I thought I'd ask you all.

Christmas kids picture book, large, possibly hard-covered, illustrations were similar to stained glass

The facts, from what I recall:

- read it sometime between 1985-93

- more about the artwork: everything had a thick black outline to it, filled with I believe solid colours. Likely no gradual shading, or anything that looked like it was coloured using pencil crayons. Nothing actually looked like glass texture, however, it's just that the colours were sectioned off. It's almost like it was a colouring book that was already professionally coloured.

- artwork filled the pages, wasn't a lot of white space, if any at all

- was probably larger than a normal 8.5x11 sized book.

- one element I remember more clearly than others was that there was a big red candle in at least one of the illustrations, with a big yellow flame on top of it, which looked a lot like the kind you'd put outside your home as a decoration. Another vague image coming into my mind right now is that it showed a few houses covered in snow. Specific, I know (:rolleyes:)

- not silly or goofy whatsoever. Meant for children, but not in a cartoonish way. Like a classic book for kids.

- likely didn't feature many characters

- might've had a nutcracker in one of the pictures

- might have been a version of The Night Before Christmas.

- that being said, I don't cleary remember any of the words, nor do I remember the cover.

I've been trying to find this book for literally decades now, and I don't even think I'm prepared for the emotions I'll feel if I ever see it again. I'm forever grateful for any help anyone might be able to give.

Thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thank you so much!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there's a copy in the brown university library if you want to ILL it

What does ILL mean, in this context? I'm interested!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Inter-Library Loan. If your local library doesn't have a book, they can ask another library that does to mail it to them.

Ah, ok, thank you! I'll check with my library.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well that story sounds awesome as hell. I love hosed up sci-fi, and I think I give credit to Stephen King's The Jaunt for that.

If y'all haven't read the Jaunt, and want to imagine something truly terrifying, check it out. I enjoy King's stuff, but nothing has actually, truly unnerved me like that story did. Goddrat.

Edit: Black Mirror's episode "White Christmas" gave off a lot of Jaunt-vibes, too, with that ending.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I will always remember “It's longer than you think, Dad!”

Absolutely. It's just maddening to think about.

For a one sentence, rundown for anyone who might be interested: guy invents teleportation via 'gates', but if a conscious mind travels through it, that consciousness gets trapped in a blank, white 'nothing' for millions of years alone with its thoughts, despite the body going through instantaneously.

Edit: vvvv fiiiiine. I contest that it's a good read regardless, tons of other stuff in there aside from that part.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

I’m looking for a book I read a long time ago. It’s about cave explorers that find a giant door deep underground. The climax of the story is that it ends up being a door to hell

I know it's not what you're thinking about, but there's an early episode of The Real Ghostbusters where this literally happens.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

HOLY poo poo I DEFINITELY DIDN'T MAKE IT UP

Your memories of it are a bit more clear than mine, it's a shame you don't have plat, i'd love to compare notes.

Ha, I googled this book, and found your post earlier ITT.

Now I really wanna read this thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor, not Idris Elba. It’s still a hard choice, so I’d just have both. We’re a throuple now.

A harder (heh) choice would be between Chiwetel and Idris.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Man, I don't think it's the same book I'm remembering, but I remember those stories too.

I'm trying without success to find yet another of those children's short horror story collections that I remember from the mid-90s. The two stories I remember are:

1) A girl and her cousins get stranded on a spooky island that turns out to be full of water dwelling zombies. She escapes, her cousins don't, but the story ends with her zombified cousins dragging her into the water. I'm pretty sure "It's a nice night for a swim" is the last line in the story, and I think I remember it being the first story in the book. e: I think her name was Amanda or maybe Alisha?

2) A boy that I'm 98% sure was named Robbie who has a scar on his chest goes to live with his uncle and cousin, they're really weird, it turns out the cousin is a robot and--surprise!--it ends with Robbie discovering that the scar is an access panel and he is also a robot.

There was also a story I'm 90% sure was in the same book about a couple kids buying a video game that turns out to be a portal to hell and so forth, but that's such a cliche it was probably in every 90s collection of horror stories.

I can't remember the name of it, but #2 I've definitely read! Whoa, blast from the past. One picture in it had the main kid opening a door to see his robot cousin either apart, or working on himself or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, it might be Scary Stories for Sleepovers? There were a bunch of them. It's gotta be in there. I had a few, and I'm sure that the robot story is in there. Might be in "More..." because I remember that skeleton face on the cover.

Edit: I think it's "What's the Matter with Marvin?"

And reading through the titles, I'm pretty sure that "The Lesson" ended with the main character literally being eaten by whatever the monster of the story was.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

drat, you got it in one. So much memories :allears: Thanks my man!

Thank YOU for posting about it. This is just as much of a find for me as well. I just didn't remember enough to ask about it :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So how do I go about reading these online? I only really want like 2 stories.

Edit: holy poo poo, openlibrary.org is letting me digitally borrow it! :toot: I'm only doing it for an hour, in case that prevents anyone else from trying that.

Edit: :stare: :aaaaa:

Jesus christ, this loving uncle creates sentient life and then just fucks with it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 7, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I appreciate the fact that Whang (who I only heard of because of this very thread and whose content I've now since seen completely) respects and appreciates SA. :unsmith:

He should really cover this story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ScienceSeagull posted:

The Jaunt by Stephen King?

I'm not the OP, but that is absolutely The Jaunt.

Also my favourite King story. It's the only one where I spend considerable time trying to imagine the worst case scenario, like when that guy sent his wife through the gate that had its destination set to "null", or when mobsters would use it to dispose of living people.

Like loving jesus christ, whaaaaat :gonk: at least with the people generally going through awake, there's the eventual, very welcomed death, but to not have that?

That's the poo poo that keeps me from sleeping.

loving excellent story and if you like that kind of 'eternal mind fuckery', watch the Black Mirror episode "White Christmas".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Have you read King's "Revival"? If not, you should. Possibly a worst metaphysical fate than The Jaunt

I haven't, and I will. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

This is a good suggestion and that book unnerved me a lot at the big reveal.

I don't yet know what the big reveal is, but I just checked the book out from openlibrary.org and I'm already over 40 pages in. I read a spoiler free synopsis, and am already dreading poo poo.

Thank you all so much for the suggestion, I'm hooked already. :getin: if it's not too much of a derail, I'll post back when I'm done.

Edit: this story is taking me places, the worst being sweet, teenage moments, because I know, just from posts ITT, poo poo gets extremely grim.

It's compelling. I'm compelled, y'all.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 1, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh, nice; David Morse, he was in The Langoliers, and was more famously "Brutal" from The Green Mile.

Speaking of the Langoliers, let me tell you about a book that is EXACTLY as cheezy and dumb in book form as it is as a network tv miniseries.

I mean, wow. I loved the premise behind it, but good god.

Edit: oh god... something happened.

Edit 2: "I was lying down, reading a book, and then suddenly found myself standing in a corner, facing the walls". gently caress, I still don't really know what's going on, but this gave me chills.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 1, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I finished Revival.

Holy shiiiiit.

Based on what was said about the plotting, I kept trying to guess what was going to happen, and kept thinking that somehow Jamie was going back and forth through time, maybe, being able to change history through his memories or something.

But wow. It's The Jaunt, except with torture.

Good god. :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress, that story really is going to stay with me for a long time.

Longer than you think, dad! Longer than you think!!

:shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, I'm still thinking about it, plus since King's said he's had that general idea for a long, long time, I'm now sort of retroactively applying it to literally every single character of his who has died. But I haven't read The Dark Tower books, so I don't know if the beings who hold up "the beam" and all that are meant to be in some sort of afterlife, or maybe THAT'S purgatory?

Revival makes The Jaunt even more horrible to think about, since you first have millions of years in a white mental void and then you're tortured forever by ant people and 'Mother'

:stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

You guys got me to start reading Revival and it's taking massive amounts of willpower to not read these spoilers :negative:

Well, definitely don't check them out until you're done. It all started with someone asking about a story that turned out to be King's short story The Jaunt, which I among others replied to. Then I got into Revival and posted about it a bunch, with many of you replying.

My point is, when you're all done, just look up my posts and the replies to it, to read all of the spoilers posted, altogether (more or less).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

While we're sort of still on the Revival discussion (maybe? sorta?), I had a question about something I probably missed.

When Jaime states "Something happened", I was waiting to find out what that was. But... We never did get an explanation, did we? Was it that he saw the afterlife and mentally blocked it? Did he maybe say something about the afterlife, like Astrid did?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Finished it :stare: thanks for the suggestion. I had the usual King phase in my teens but I don't think I've read anything of his in nearly a decade, still a great storyteller
Anyways, I'm going to go for a jog now :stare:

Be safe and holy poo poo, don't die.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Uh, weird, because Whang JUST posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNAkC9yEK0

He didn't end up finding it, so you could drop him a line, letting him know that you found it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dflinter posted:

Just a little detail on how I found it

A user called G.H. Kuiper, commented under the Whang! video with the Dutch name for the book. I searched various things related to the author, Walter Olivers and found that the book was mainly called Super-Brikke

I saw that the author also wrote books in French so I eventually found that the French name for the book was Super-Gilles. Since Gilles is close to the English name Giles, I searched for Super Giles and found a listing on Amazon with the above image

Ohhh weird, so the whang video helped you, in a roundabout way. Crazy! I just thought there was an astounding coincidence that you found it the same day the video was posted.

In case you're reading this for the inevitable follow up video, Justin: hey! Love your videos! :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 25, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

dflinter posted:

Bad news guys

As I mentioned in my post with the pic, I bought the book

Unfortunately the seller contacted me this morning to say it was in worse condition that originally thought (it was missing 2 pages) and they offered me a refund or another book

I asked could they send it to me as I didn't care about the condition, only to be told they sent it to get pulped and can no longer retrieve it

This has got a bit of a "Cheese Shop" vibe to it.

John Cleese: "Oooh! Camembert, I'll have some of that."
Michael Palin: "It's a bit runny...."
JC: "No matter, fetch hither the fromage de la belle France! Mmmm!"
MP:"I think it's a bit runnier than you'd like it, sir."
JC: "I don't care how loving runny it is, just hand it over with all speed."
MP:"Ohhhhhhhh!"
JC: "What?"
MP: "The cat's eaten it."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

They got scans, and the person scanning couldn't be bothered to get a picture of the kid AS the gas pump?

:cmon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bookish posted:

Sorry to bring it back to Revival chat but I just finished it and had recommended it to my almost 80 year old mother in law early on when it was still just a very well told, compelling King story.

Whoops!

Holy gently caress, gooooood job :lol:

Here's hoping it truly is only complete fiction.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

When I was in middle or high school (so between 2004 and 2009) I read a series of horror books that I've been unable to identify and I was wondering if y'all could help me out. I believe the books were fairly new at the time I read them and there may have been more than the two or three I read. They were all set in the same town, and I remember each book had a cover that was mostly just one color on a black background (so one cover the scene and name was illustrated in blue on black, another yellow on black, etc).

Despite reading more than one of these books the only scene I really remember is some (high school?) kids being in math class and the teacher either spontaneously combusting or otherwise dying very horribly - it was a very gruesome description. This probably isn't enough info but it's better than just looking through horror book pages on wikipedia.

A bunch of Stephen King stories that were cheaply republished had that same type of scheme.

I'm assuming you're not thinking about the most famous horror author in the world, so I'll guess... Bentley Little?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJmUHlAntw

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, isn't Giles pronounced "Jiles"? Or is that a Flemish/Dutch thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Harry Graham was another one: Ruthless Rhymes for Heartless Homes

Billy, in one of his nice new sashes,
Fell in the fire and was burnt to ashes;
Now, although the room grows chilly,
I haven't the heart to poke poor Billy.

Father heard his Children scream,
So he threw them in the stream,
Saying, as he drowned the third,
"Children should be seen, not heard!"

Jesus christ :stare: