Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

anilEhilated posted:

Geek Love by Katherine Dunn?

This is DEFINITELY it.

I can so rarely answer these, and when I could, I'm beaten. But yes, it's absolutely Geek Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

might be ol yeller if the girl is a dog and the lockjaw is rabies :shrug:

Could also be Ghostbusters, if the girl is Gozer and the lockjaw is the streams crossing. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If your teacher was an alien, and a separate alien ate your homework....

.... could you get an extension?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

yaffle posted:

A sci fi story or novel, from before 1988-ish. The protagonists are transported to a future in which society has eliminated "Right brained" people, creativity and the arts were deemed frivolous and unnecessary and the only people left are "Left brained" scientists and engineers.

Isn't that kind of the plot of Equilibrium? All arts were destroyed? Or am I misremembering?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Horror anthology I saw in the 90s

It wasn’t Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark but was like it. Spooky tales some with drawings. Not as gruesome but spooky still

The only one I can remember is there’s one about a woman whose driving and spots a hitchhiker at night and she’s like awww hell no and keeps driving past him

But then she sees him again. And again. And again. Until her car starts dying and all of a sudden he’s holding a knife. Iirc it ends by not saying what happens but jumps to later another driver picks up a woman or a man and a woman and implies that she was the original driver. Iirc the new driver gets killed or winds up dead

I think the drawing was a hitchhiker. Creepy guy in a jacket or trenchcoat

The only other horror anthology I can think of that's like that is "Scary Stories for Sleepovers". Aimed at kids around 8-10 years old with pictures.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

uvar posted:

There's copies on archive.org but you'll probably need an account to view the whole thing - https://archive.org/details/railwayghostshig00cohe/page/20/mode/2up?view=theater

This gives me huge Uninvited vibes. I wish Zojoi would remake that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Blue Afternoon That Lasted Forever by Daniel H. Wilson

And it can be read online here. Wow.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. I've had similar nightmares.

Goddamn.