Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm trying to remember a fantasy book I read in the 90's. Some guy was sent back in time and became apprenticed to a mage. I remember he was kind of a screw up and ended the book fighting a huge worm/centipede. It felt like it was part of a series.

I realize now as an adult it may have been a self insert, but I'd still like to know what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

This possibly? I also thoughtScott Meyer's "Off to be the Wizard" but that's from 2014ish

That seems very close. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've got a weird one. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

All I remember is a bit of dialogue. Someone is commenting on the state of language being simplified over time. He remarks that people in the future may not be able to understand their more complex language.

'Someday a person may be unable to comprehend the discussion we are having at this moment.' Or something similar.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
That's it exactly. Thank you very much. I was reading the appendix on Newspeak and didn't see it so thanks for finding it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
There was a fantasy book I remember from when I was a kid. I remember the main character had been sent back in time/another dimension and had become apprenticed to a wizard. The wizard lends him magic/mana to cast some spells from time to time.

It was a light-hearted book from what I remember. It ended with him fighting a giant worm or centipede I think. I also think it was part of a series.