Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
alright maybe someone can help me, this has been driving me mad for close to six years now, and i'm at my wit's end!

there are two stories i remember reading, that i really enjoyed years ago but cannot remember the name of.

the first one was possibly in an elementry school short story collection, and was about (i think) the sun becoming a red giant in the far future. the earth is being evacuated, and the story follows a poor family who are crammed aboard one of the "cheap" starships and launched out into space. when they finally reach a planet the youngest child on the ship is chosen to name it, and she (he?) chooses the name "sunshine" or possibly "sunlight". additionally, there is some kind of grass on the planet that is very sharp and cuts their feet when they first run out onto the ground, and they call for boots. that's all i can remember.

the second was a short novel of some type about how in the future the majority of mankind is unemployed, and something about how some a group of high-school students "join the ranks of the unemployed" and how it's a pretty bad but not unlivable lifestyle, and they from time to time take part in a simulation of a different world where everything is bright and cheery. in the end however, they enter the simulation one time and everything is not perfect, and they realize they've been actually sent as colonists to a different world.

i will love forever anyone who can tell me the name of these stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
whoops, double post. unstable connection. suckyness.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

King of Fools posted:

I think you're talking about Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes.

Edit: Actually, I'm 99% certain you're talking about that book.

THANK YOU! that was the book. now if only i could figure out what that other one was called. also as promised, i will love you forever.