Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a book I read probably 10-15 years ago where a lady (i.e., a woman of breeding) is taken hostage by a pirate (it wasn't one of those books, honest!). He has been shot, and the wound gets infected. She attempts to treat him, and goes digging for the musket ball. When she finds it and plucks it out it, a jet of foul-smelling pus is ejected from the wound, and his pain is relieved.

The second is a random quote, and I'll be AMAZED, and exceedingly grateful, if anyone can identify it. it is from either a Victorian novel, or one written in that style. One of the characters uses "w" instead of "v" (I do love that - try using that in conwersation). Another character roars at him, "drat you and your "w"'s!". He might even add a "sir" to the end, but I can't remember. From which book, pliss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

yaffle posted:

Might this be one of the Flashman books? Lord Cardigan (or Lucan I can't remember) is depicted as having a similar speech impediment.

Oh! It could very well be - I am a great fan of the Flashman books, and that would probably be "Flashman at the Charge" (if memory of the title serves me correctly), which I read some time ago (long ago enough for it to fit the timeline I have in mind).

i've just done an Amazon Search Inside and that hasn't found it, but I cannot imagine it is comprehensive, so that remains a prime candidate. If it isn't that book, it could well be another in the series. Thanks!

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 30, 2008

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was a kid (80s) I read from my library a series of books which were hilarious: they were humorous westerns, and, as I recall, very funny and well-written. Admittedly, I was about 10, but I was a precocious little fucker so they probably were quite good. They were aimed at (probably older) kids, but were also quite knowing. There was definitely more than one. For some reason the name Zane Grey seems relevant, but it obviously isn't him. Any ideas?

Edit: I posted this 6 minutes ago! WHY HASN'T ANYONE RESPONDED!?

it is more than an hour now. I feel so let down and disappointed. Oh Book Barn, why hast thou forsaken me!?

therattle fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 19, 2008

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

your posts amounts to "i read a western once, pretty funny. maybe kids books, hard to say because i am incredibly smart. something about zane grey, who knows." there is very little chance anyone is going to be able to parse anything out of that. it's just not enough information.

also stop being a human being.

The whole point is that people often don't remember much. I don't remember any more but I want to find out what the books were. Is it any more vague than:

"The book is about some other world where dudes can use magic, one scene they are fighting in a church (I think) and the other one they are fighting in possibly some sort of town square by a water fountain."

"Okay... this is a short story, I think, about a priest being murdered in the church where he's... a priest... and while he's being murdered, he thinks about the concept of martyrdom. These details are kind of fuzzy, and it might actually be a poem. I really don't know, and googling hasn't done much."

As for being a human being, stop being an rear end in a top hat. I was making a joke about how amazingly quickly people respond to these posts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Thatoaklandkid posted:

My friend told me about this great, relatively new book on the globalization of crime, has anyone heard of this? I can't remember the title

McMafia: Crime Without Borders
http://www.amazon.co.uk/McMafia-Without-Frontiers-Misha-Glenny/dp/0224075039

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was a little youth (late eighties) I read a series of sci-fi books - or, if not a series, then books written by the same author, that were really good. One was a group of prisoners crash-land on a planet: there is a motley crew, with the protagonist being a young Highland Scot who has been imprisoned maybe for political reasons. There is also a girl, of course, and a really bad guy. The crash has destroyed a lot of trees, and one of the party can't go near the forest because of the noise of the damaged trees screaming. The trees might have brains of some sort, and creatures of some kind that protect them. Other creatures try to eat the brains.

The other one was an evil empire which had at its centre a writhing mass of telepathic tentacles, and anyone who had fallen within its grasp had a piece of tentacle warpped around their forehead that controlled them. When the tentacle was removed it was really agonising and could destroy the mind.

Oh, and another series of books for teens about a WWI fighter pilot called Martin Falconer, which I remember as being really excellent. Ah - google informs m that they are by one John Harris.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Morlock posted:

I think this is Douglas Hill's Last Legionary series. (There's separate synopses for each book linked from the Wikipedia page.)

e: come to think of it the first one you mentioned could be Hill's Colsec series, but I don't remember much about that....

Yes and yes! That's it! Awesome, and awesomely quick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ImJasonH posted:

This one's a movie. The only thing I can remember is that one of the characters had a job in Virginia for a while, and as a result of his crushing boredom there, he learned to draw all the counties in Virginia from memory.

I haven't seen Melvin Goes to Dinner in a while, was it that? If not, what was it?

There is a whole thread in Cinema Discusso for this.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Action Jacktion posted:

Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

Dammit, finally one I can get and I get beaten like a red-headed stepchild.