Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Runoir posted:

Also, this has been rattling around in my brain for a while, I read this is a collection of short stories used in a writing class.

SciFi, a group of explorers land on a planet in their rocket and find an empty city. The City wakes up, inhales ect, the explorers venture into the city, but they are killed and their bodies opened up, and their organs replaced with machines before being sent back to earth.

Thanks in advance guys!

Sounds like "The City," from Bradbury's "The Illustrated Man".

From the Wikipedia entry "A rocket expedition from Earth lands on an uncharted planet to be greeted by a seemingly empty City. As the humans begin to explore, they realize that the City is not as empty as it seems. The City was waiting for the arrival of humans; the contingency plan of a long dead civilization, put in place to take revenge upon Humanity after their culture was wiped out with biological weapons by humans long before recorded history. Once the City captures and kills the human astronauts, the humans' corpses are used as automatons to finalize The City's creators' revenge; a biological attack on the Earth."

Seems kind of bland, but the descriptions of 'Space Adventurer' types getting sliced open so that robots could wear their skin and head back to Earth to get their revenge was at least discomfiting enough that I could spot the story you're thinking of.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I read the stories back when I was a kid, call it late 80's early 90's. It was young adult, sort of Baby Sitters Club, Hardy Boys-ish for the target audience. It was a series of books with a brother and sister living next door to The Munsters basically. The Monster neighbors kind of came off as weird ethnic neighbors. I remember Mambo Italiano was always playing in the background. With a Vampire boy and possibly a werewolf girl pretty much becoming BFFs with the main characters. I remember the monster boy was a vampire because he was always flying around on the covers.

Anybody remember this series?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gawain The Blind posted:

Samatha Slade, Monster sitter? Not quite what you were talking about, but it does feature a family of "monsters" and the brother is a vampire, and the sister is a werewolf, and it is a young adult baby sitters club sorta thing. I read this series when I was too young to realize that I was essentially reading a series of books for girls. I admit it freely, because this is something awful, and nobody ever mocks anyone for embarrassing admissions.

Thanks, that looks like it. It's been probably 20 years since I read those books. I just remember my 10 year old self reading the back and going, "Oh yell yeah, 12-year old vampires trying to fit in at middle school, I'm down with that."

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

This is a long shot, but I remember a book that was shown to me that you could read in a circle, as in you could start reading from any point in the book and it would flow nicely till the page prior to the one you started on. I have no idea what it looks like, or what it was about, or even when the book was created. I'm not expecting an answer, but google has failed me and this seemed like it might work. Thanks and good luck, I guess.

Possibly, Kafka's 'The Trial'? It was published posthumously from the stuff that Kafka wrote, and doesn't have any real definitive timeline. I'm pretty sure that in any published version, you could read chapter 1, skip to chapter 15, then read chapter 2, and not skip a beat. It's not really circular, but it might be the kind of story you're thinking of.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I remember a short story from high school that was in one of those Little Bit of Everything lit readers. It was a post-apocalyptic story about a guy who safeguarded his collection of books and vinyl and would share it with other scavengers every night. I think it ended with some guy beating him to death with a pipe.

Sounds a bit like "The Visitor", from Bradbury's The Illustrated Man. From Wikipedia, "This story takes place on Mars, which is used as a quarantine for people with deadly illnesses. One day, the planet is visited by a young man of eighteen who has the ability to perform thought transference and telepathy. The exiles on the planet are thrilled with his ability and a violent fight breaks out over who will get to spend the most time with their visitor and enjoy the illusionary paradises he can transmit. In the struggle, the young man is killed and the escape he provided is lost forever."

While it doesn't quite match your description, it's seems close enough that it might be your vaguely remembered short.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 4, 2009