Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I started a book back in 2013 or 2014 and I don't remember the name or author and didn't get very far before returning it to the library.

It was recommended in a thread here I think so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

It was a scifi novel that started with the main character in space jail and this next part gets a bit fuzzy. The cells were tied up to some strategy game the inmates played against each other and when they did bad the cell shrunk and made life harder for them I think? Then the main character got released to go help the government (?) do something or other (steal something?)

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hobnob posted:

In Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief the protagonist starts out with many simulated copies of his mind trapped in a (simulated) prison bring made to play the prisoners dilemma. One copy gets sprung from prison to help steal something from a city on Mars, by one of the major factions.

If you remember tons of weird jargon with very little explanation, this is the book you mean.

Benagain posted:

I'm thinking quantum thief? There's a whole bit where they run prisoners through a literal prisoners dilemma forever.

It's this. I remember the audiobook telling me his name, vaguely remember how it's pronounced, and knew for a fact I couldn't spell it