Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is a short ghost story I've been searching for for years, not holding out much hope but maybe someone here can help.

It was in a compilation of horror/ghosty stories aimed at teenagers. The compilation (I'm almost certain) also contained The Veldt by Ray Bradbury. The story itself may have been titled "The Horn" or something similar, but I've had no luck googling that.

It was set in Sherwood Forest. A group of children were on a field trip of some kind. They spent a while discussing the history of the forest, and how it used to be huge and have wolves, and Robin Hood. With them is a bully, who goes off and destroys a sapling and kills a nest of baby birds.

I think they hear a horn being blown, and the bully ends up being found dead with an arrow in his back. There's a quiver of arrows hanging on the tree and possibly the horn as well.

As you can see I remember almost everything about this story, but I just want to read it again :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hughlander posted:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?64827 shows everything The Veldt was published in...

And after searching most of it I found...
The Horn • (1987) • shortstory by Susan Price
Which is published along with The Veldt in 'Ghosts, Ghouls, & Other Nightmares' edited by Gene Kemp... It was also published in 'The Puffin Book of Ghosts and Ghouls'

Holy poo poo that was quick. Thankyou so much! That's definitely the one, I remember the other stories in the book. :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
A YA novel about a teenager put in a radical drug addiction treatment program, despite not being addicted to drugs. Her brother was also in the program at one point and she spends much of the novel addressing him directly; at the end it's revealed that he died by diving into an empty swimming pool, no one being sure if it was suicide or not.

I remember the program was militaristic and the protagonist was paired up with an older member and had to sleep at her house and be led around by her beltloops. They had group meetings and had something called "motivating" where they had to be as enthusiastic as possible about answering questions, waving their arms in the air.

Bizarre novel, been bugging me for a bit. Thanks!

fightwithcrayons posted:

1) All I remember is that it was that the two main characters were twins, a boy and a girl. They lived in a city that is divided in to numbered classes and I'm fairly sure one, if not them both, was kicked out of the city or has to escape. Towards the end there's a big scene in the desert aboard what I THINK is some kind of tank fort or moving headquarters. I think it was the first book in a trilogy.

That's the first in the Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson, called The Wind Singer. The second book is Slaves of the Mastery, and the third is Firesong. The twins are Kestrel and Bowman, the city is Aramanth and the tank fort was a giant desert boat :) Good books, I still read them sometimes.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

krunaldo posted:

I'm looking for a fantasy book where the lead is a female character who is a magician, iirc she was a redhead and also immortal in some way(at least unable to die of age). It's a series of 4 books. Any clue guys?

krunaldo posted:

Definitely not it, I remember it being quite good actually.

It was released 1994 or so(first book) ended around '98. There was also some kind of prequel series released around 2004/2006

Could it possibly have been Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness series? Immortal doesn't fit, but redhead and magician do, though it was released in the 80s I think. As for the prequel series, there was a sequel series about the protagonist's daughter released around that time. e: And a prequel series in 2006!

There's also another four-part series by her, Circle of Magic, where one of the leads is a redhead magician called Tris. The dates fit better with this one. There's a second four-parter and a standalone sequel (released in 2005 :)).

Now I want to read them all again, it's been years.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 29, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

titus androgynous posted:

1. A short story I first read about in a thread here. It takes place in a small town on a future Earth in which the laws of physics are subject to change randomly and without warning. A load of people have died that way and the remaining citizens are pretty nihilistic about it. I distinctly remember one scene where a man's beer changes into something unstable and explodes in his hand, and another scene where the sidewalk suddenly melts and a guy is sucked into it before it changes back.

I know this and I'm mad at you for bringing it up, because goddamn it's going to bug me forever until someone finds it. Please find it soon! It reminds me of the story that was adapted into a Twilight Zone episode, with the monstrous boy Anthony and everyone has to be happy all the time or he does things to them. I think I read them at the same time, probably in the thread you mentioned. I can never remember what the story's called...

e: It's a Good Life.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I love the Twilight Zone but prefer to read. Is there anywhere I can read any other short stories that were adapted into Twilight Zone episodes, or does anyone have any recommendations?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SpoonmanUK posted:

This was a children (possibly YA?) book about some regular kids who for some reason are friends with the prince of some tiny kingdom that is surrounded by mountains. They fly on a plane there and eat some chocolate that stops them feeling sick from the turbulence. After this I don't remember much of the plot, except at one point they end up in a boat going along an underground river. Anyone got any idea what this might be from my terrible explanation?

The Secret of Killimooin, by Enid Blyton. Almost definitely.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
OK this is a hugely long shot but I'll try anyway.

I read this book maybe 10 years ago, but I don't think it was new at the time. It's a young adult novel, in the horror genre. The main characters are two teenagers, a girl and a boy, with maybe a romance subplot between them?

The big thing I remember is that there's some kind of horrible thing stalking them. I remember imagining it as like a man, skinned, who crawled on all fours like an animal - I don't know how much of that is actually from the book. The final showdown is in a graveyard and I think the monster ends up locked in a crypt.

I think the author's surname began with M, I remember thinking for ages it was Michelle Magorian but I don't think it actually is.

Sorry for being vague. :(

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Alterian posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a book I read in middle school about 16 years ago. It was a fantasy book, might have been in the YA section of the library. The one I remember the best was actually the second book in the series. I guess it was about a girl who was being trained to do magic by a knight or some person of a similar status. They were going to a land to help it from something bad that was going on and she was friends with the wolves in the area. There was a book before it where I guess the girl came from a small village and she was in a larger castle area where she met up with the knight thats also in the second book. I think in the second book she had a baby dragon as a pet.

This sounds a lot like Tamora Pierce's The Immortals series. I haven't read them in years so I wasn't sure, but looking it up the second book is the one where she hangs out with her wolf friends and gets the baby dragon. The "knight", I'd imagine, is Numair the mage.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Alterian posted:

Haha yes! I recognize the covers. Do you know if these books are any good? I feel like reading them as a big old middle finger to my past.

It really messed me up for a long time. I was too scared to read anything fictional in case it was "satanic".

Hilariously enough we never went to church. My dad's better now.

Yeah, like NinjaDebugger said, they're very teen girl oriented. But they're good! I still enjoy them, but I probably do have the soul of a teenage girl. They're not as good as her first series, Song of the Lioness, but still pretty neat and fun for a bit of light reading. :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

ce gars posted:

This could definitely be it. The one I remember checking out had a faded cover, so my memory of the specific color of it is hazy. It's cheap on amazon so I'll get it and see if it's the one. Thanks! :hfive:

Could it also have been Mysteries of the Unexplained?

I own it and definitely remember all the stories you mention.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

nerdzrool posted:

2: YA fantasy, came out at least 10 years ago. Possibly dystopian society, definitely pretty far from real world setting. Characters are young, maybe have powers (?), live in some sort of citadel and the premise of the book has something to do with a veil that is above the castle/city. I also vaguely remember them possibly having some sort of avatar. E: It's also a series, I remember more than one book. It's not the Subtle Knife

Could this possibly be William Nicholson's Wind On Fire trilogy? The first book, The Wind Singer, sounds close.

Also no one ever seems to be able to remember the names of those books, I've seen so many people asking about it!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Please help.

A book I read 7-10 years ago just popped into my head. I read it a couple of times but only the vaguest details remain with me.

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

This is going to drive me crazy. :(

e: Oh, and another one for you guys. Another YA thing from 6-10 years ago. Teenage girl gets captured by demon man and taken to his castle. He's the typical beautiful demon guy, only he can't heal his wounds, and at one point he gets lacerations right through his cheek that never heal. He has dogs guarding the castle steps. In the garden there's a cave, in which there's a river I think and a man lives there, he helps the protagonist. There's something about apples with this guy.

There's also a sideplot about a prince and his mother travelling with a group of merchants through a desert to find somethingorother, an oasis maybe? Anyway the mother (the queen?) gets killed, possibly poisoned. I think the demon guy dies in the end in a similar manner, the teenage girl has to kill him or something? There's a love plot, a creepy stockholm syndrome thing.

Been driving me batty for years, any help would be appreciated :)

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 22, 2011

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Runcible Cat posted:

Was it by Jan Siegel?

Nope. :(

Action Jacktion posted:

Some of that sounds like The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce, but that might not be it.

No, that's it! I must be getting stuff muddled up, but that's definitely the one I was looking for, I remember the necklace thing and the spinning for his wives. And the duarough in the garden! Awesome, thanks :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sanford posted:

I read a book, or series of books, 20 to 25 years ago. It was called [Somethings] and [Somethings]. the first something's looked like a cross between pineapples and lizards, and were mean and grumpy. The second something's looked like koalas, and were happy and friendly. I think it was set in Australia, but that might just be the koala thing. That's really all I remember. Maybe something about a typewriter, and something about a crown? Anyone?

Bottersnikes and Gumbles?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm looking for a children's book. It was a set of short stories from one character's perspective. It was Norwegian, Swedish, or Danish, maybe even Finnish. It wasn't Astrid Lindgren, but the name rings bells for me.

The main character of all the stories was a little girl with several siblings. The most solid memory I have is of her walking to the shop to buy bologna. On the way home, she makes up a song about the bologna.

I'm sure her grandparents are a big part. Her oldest brother has a proper strong name like Knut or something but I really don't remember. He sits on a roof.

It's not by Alf Proysen.

The name Birgitte rings bells too, but I don't know if that's relevant. I swear this book must be famous. I really thought it was Astrid Lindgren until I looked her up and couldn't find it. :saddowns:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

usurper75 posted:

Could it be by Anne-Cath Vestly, Norway's answer to Astrid Lindgren? I read some of her books as a kid, "Mormor og de åtte ungene" seems to match at least a Grandma and a bunch of siblings, and from what I remember from reading her books, that was a common theme in most of them.

This is what a friend suggested, but I don't think it's her. Wikipedia says that the Eight Children series is about kids in an apartment in Oslo, while my stories were about kids in a small village. It's killing me that I can't remember anything else about it :smith:

It had a yellow cover. I read it fifteen years ago or so. That's it. :sigh:

:supaburn: UPDATE :supaburn:

I found it. It's The Bullerby Children series by... Astrid Lindgren. I don't know why I discounted her so completely, she wrote a ton of stories. The names of the kids listed on the wiki article confused me at first but I guess they were changed in English because this site makes it all wonderfully familiar. Lars and Pip and Britta and Anna and little Kerstin who got into the boot polish :3:

Bologna! Of the best quality!

I'm super happy. Thanks for the help, TBB!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 22, 2012

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk.

Ring any bells to anyone?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Fully illustrated, but not a comic book. Realistic art style. A child makes a snowman. Later they look out of the window and the snowman is pointing at them. Ended up that there was a fire or some other reason for the child and their family to get out of the house straight away, that the snowman was trying to warn them about. I think it was a scary ghosty kind of thing because it utterly terrified little me. I still have a thing about people/things pointing at me unexpectedly :smith:

I used to read a lot of Usbourne mystery/puzzle books in the 90s, and that's the only place I can think of that this might have been from, but the art style is wrong and I just don't know. It might have been in the ancient girls' magazine annuals like Bunty or Judy that I borrowed from my mum's collection, but it seems too dark for that. Although... now I'm remembering a story about gnomes that came to life and murdered the family who bought the house they lived in, so I guess anything went back then.

Also, this one I posted last year:

eating only apples posted:

One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk.

It was in a collection of short horror stories, probably teen-oriented. Really want to know what it was!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 9, 2013

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Okay, these are going to be really vague, but:

- Young adult novel series. Really popular in the early 2000's. Creepy, surreal cover art. I remember something about train stations, recurring images of clocks, indentured servitude, superpowers (?), men-in-black type dudes, and a disabled school headmaster (wheelchair?) dying in a courtyard in front of the main character (angsty teenage boy?), or something.

- Turquoise cover with a robot on the side. Kind of deep for young adult fiction. Something something robot rebellion, artificial intelligence bad. One-word title? Major plot twist at the end is that the robots are powered by deceased humans' brains, and this freaks all the main characters out. Ends really abruptly.

Is the second one Shade's Children?

The clocks and men in black and indentured servitude makes me think of another Garth Nix series Keys to the Kingdom. The first book was certainly a lot of clocks. The headmaster thing isn't there but there is a guy in a wheelchair, sort of.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The male main character works with an older lady professor for a while and then her office vanishes after she makes her big breakthrough or whatever and then nobody's ever heard of the professor. It was a short story, I think. Can't nail it down at all, though.

Is that the one? I... feel like I've read it.

It's a comic I think, the strange items are called anomalies I think? I did some halfhearted googling but can't find it.

e: Got it! http://www.viruscomix.com/page567.html

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm back again looking for more teen horror stories.

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it.

It was called like "Don't Read This" or similar, and about a Chernobyl-esque reactor disaster, but the reader was causing it by reading on, it ended with the omniscient narrator telling the reader to look up so they could see the explosion in the distance.

I've still never found this one either (not teen horror, YA novel):

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series?

Or this (definitely teen horror short):

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 18, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

threedaycrash posted:

I sent a pm about it this morning, no response yet. I can always email the pdf to whoever wants it if the answer is no.

PM it to me for sure, I wanna see this

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

threedaycrash posted:

in a last move of defiance it swallows up the townspeople that worked so hard to destroy it.

Yeah that's dramatically underselling it, drat. Thanks for the scans!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Happy to help share too to take the weight off OP, PM me

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

wizzardstaff posted:

That's the one, thanks!

e: I reread it. It has a happy ending.

It was good and the happy/hopeful ending came as a surprise, but a nice one.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it. Mid 2000s

It was called like "Don't Read This" or similar, and about a Chernobyl-esque reactor disaster, but the reader was causing it by reading on, it ended with the omniscient narrator telling the reader to look up so they could see the explosion in the distance.

It had mermaids in it. Or at least, mermaid-like creatures. Selkies, maybe. The cover I remember quite well - it was white, and featured a blue-haired woman, possibly a mermaid, holding up some kind of mirror or magical relic type thing that proved to be central to the story in some way. The protagonist was a teenager in a magic school. It was, obviously, a young adult kind of thing. I think the title had something to do with the magical relic thing, and it was probably the first in a series? Read it in the early/mid 2000s

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk. Can't remember when I read this, but later than 2005 probably.

Still looking for all three of these! :)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

titties posted:

I don't know about the cover art but the piers anthony xanth book heaven cent is ya, features a mermaid as the main character, and a magic mirror is an important plot device so we're just gonna go with that you perv

I bought a fat stack of xanth books for pennies from the local used book store years back. I regret it.

Definitely not this, phew, you had me worried for a second

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

If it is, it's The Intergalactic Bus Trip, I remember a puzzle about tunnels and cameras, heat detectors and sound sensors.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TommyGun85 posted:

Late 80s or early 90s fantasy. I only remember snippets:

- exiled holy knight who returns home
- theres a thief kid who ends up being his squires kid
- theres a little mute girl who is actually a goddeas
- theres a haunted castle
- he has to go into a tomb to retrieve a spear
- theres a gollum ripoff character

The Elenium, David Eddings

(has to be. Sparhawk - holy knight, thief kid - Talon hangs out with the squire whose name I can't recall, Flute the mute girl who turns out to be a goddess at the end of the second book, there probably was a haunted castle and a spear but the troll was the Gollum ripoff)

All of this is probably the Ruby Knight book specifically, the second book in the series, it was my first Eddings and I think most of this happens in it

e: oh there definitely was a bad castle in the second book, the one with the evil countess whose servant walled her up until she starved to death. And Talen is actually Kurik's kid. It's all coming back to me. I only reread this series a few years ago, shows how forgettable it is

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 10, 2020

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

TommyGun85 posted:

Thats the one. I know you mention how forgettable it is, are his other books worth a read?

Eh, once you've read one series you've basically read them all. They're easy though and entertaining enough, I have a big soft spot for the Elenium despite its... uncomfortable bits

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Not the person asking, but this Trillions chat stirred an ancient memory of reading it as a kid, so thanks!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This was a book I read in high school in the mid-2000s but I think it was much older. It was about two sisters, one pretty and blonde, the other was the narrator and was smart and studious. The blonde sister got sick, I remember a particular description of the narrator waking up in the night and looking over at the sister's bed to see something moving on it - it was blood streaming from the sister's nose. She died by the end of the book.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

This was a book I read in high school in the mid-2000s but I think it was much older. It was about two sisters, one pretty and blonde, the other was the narrator and was smart and studious. The blonde sister got sick, I remember a particular description of the narrator waking up in the night and looking over at the sister's bed to see something moving on it - it was blood streaming from the sister's nose. She died by the end of the book.

This was A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry, if anyone was interested

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Moochewmoo posted:

Hey guys! I'm really glad I found this and hopefully this the best place to ask. A long time ago I think on the front page of SA there was some weird sci-fi/horror series of articles. I remember one section was about someone trapped in a prison as strange things and beings crept their way to the upper levels. The protagonist speaks of other inmates who had been changed or beings that would call to him or something I think? It's been so long. I'm not sure its name or where to find it or even who the author is. Any help would be appreciated!

Is this the Instruction for a Help series?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
A YA novel read around 2005/6 about a girl who enters an exclusive prestigious high school full of rich people. She pals up with a group, one of the girls she befriends is called Kiran who I believe was the fashionable one. I don't think there was anything supernatural, just teen girl drama. I think it was a series. I'm UK, I think the book might've been UK-based too but not confident on that. Not much to go on, sorry!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

froglet posted:

Oh, I think my sister read those! Was it the Private/Billings Girls series?

Hey, yeah! Lol how did I end up thinking it could be UK based when the main character is called Reed Brennan. Thanks!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

John Lee posted:

"drat, that author sounds familiar. What else did he write?

..Oh. Yeah, duh."

haha, exactly the same reaction

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

navyjack posted:

I have absolutely read this. I thought it might a story from the “Midnight Graffiti” collection but I’m not seeing it.

Edit: ok I THINK it’s Ellison (man loves the word Teak) and I THINK it’s in Angry Candy.

Edit 2: Boom!! It’s “Broken Glass” by Ellison anthologized in Angry Candy!!

Incredible work. Teak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I thought this one was Anthony Horowitz but the books and anthologies of his short stories doesn't seem to have it.

Still looking for all of these!