Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hi all. I just learned about this thread so I'm hoping you can help me take out a brain splinter but my memory's shot...

The book in question is science fiction, Soviet (or Soviet-adjacent) in origin, and I believe is part of a series. The story is set in huge structures/cities floating or orbiting in space and that's about the most memorable aspect of it. I don't think there are any aliens or space monsters, it's more of a "man against nature" kind of thing. Dealing with disasters, technical problems, exploration. I also don't recall any overtly Soviet ideology, but I was about 12 and living in :tito: so who knows whether it just went over my head.

It dates to at least the early 90s, but it's probably a solid couple of decades older than that. It's not be Stanislaw Lem, I'm pretty sure of that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You know... I think you two might be right! Reading the wiki entry, these parts:

quote:

In this future, the Soviet Union still exists and the Cold War is still ongoing. As a result, Western civil liberties have been eroded more and more, until society eventually resembles the Soviet model.
the Cold War ended with the peaceful merging of the Eastern and Western blocs into a single, planet-wide Soviet-ruled dictatorship

make me think my child brain (and eventual passage of time addling said brain) interpreted that as actually being written by a Soviet writer.

The synopsis of the first two books is also very much along the lines of what I remember: less aliens/robots and more adventure/intrigue.

So I'm absolutely taking Cities in Flight to be the thing which has been stuck in my brain for 30 years. It's a. freaking. relief. Thank you!