Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 (2000-2001) that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The primary theme of this story is the morality of capital punishment
- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Anyone know it? I'd like to find an online version and print it off for Monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gorbash posted:

I think it's older than that, because I feel I read it in the mid 1980s. I *thought* it might have been in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, because I was reading a ton of those Asimov/Greenberg/Olander collections around that time, but I had a quick look and couldn't see it.

From memory, he was actually found guilty, but if he stayed in the room for seven days he was free to go, and the timing on his release was out?

Possibly that anthology also had "Now Inhale" by Eric Frank Russell - from the description (to avoid spoilers on a 1959 story):

If that rings a bell the anthology would be TV:2000. If not, I might be leading you down the wrong path.

This sounds like it, but I haven't been able to find a title yet, I'll keep looking today

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hobnob posted:

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, and

Will go down in history as being the only cozy-mystery to cause so much anger lol

Edit: I haven't been able to find anything on the short story I posted about, however I remember reading "Harrison Bergeron" at the same time, I wonder if my teacher just photocopied an anthology... if that helps

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, here's a list of anthologies including Harrison Bergeron: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?41335

On the Threshold of Freedom in the Science Fiction (1973) sounds promising, no author listed, however

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh, well that's definitely not it haha

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I'm looking for a short story that I read in Grade 8 (2000-2001) that I was telling students about today, but have been unable to find online.

The details:

- The story deals with a future society that puts people into a deadly apartment while their trial takes place, they sit and wait for judgement, unconnected to the trial or the outside world
- The apartment has *something* in it that kills the person when they're found guilty
- The protagonist is found NOT GUILTY in the end, however when they go to open the door to leave, it's revealed the doorknob has a small needle in it which injects and immediately kills the GUILTY person

Still looking for this story :sigh:

Also, does anyone remember a science fiction series where humans discover an asteroid that's been converted into a sort of aircraft carrier full of ships? Explorers form parties that get into these ships, hit the GO button, and are transported to different parts of the galaxy, where they basically load up the ship with as much stuff as they can and return to the carrier to sell it.

I think there were three books and some short stories in the series

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

zedar posted:

This is almost certainly Frederik Pohl's Gateway, which has a number of sequels I really should get around to reading some day.

Yep, that's it!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sending out another call to ID this story:

Professor Shark posted:

The details:

Resident Idiot posted:

I think it's older than that, because I feel I read it in the mid 1980s. I *thought* it might have been in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, because I was reading a ton of those Asimov/Greenberg/Olander collections around that time, but I had a quick look and couldn't see it.

From memory, he was actually found guilty, but if he stayed in the room for seven days he was free to go, and the timing on his release was out?

Possibly that anthology also had "Now Inhale" by Eric Frank Russell - from the description (to avoid spoilers on a 1959 story):

If that rings a bell the anthology would be TV:2000. If not, I might be leading you down the wrong path.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

du -hast posted:

I remember reading a story a lot like this called In the Hereafter Hilton. It's a really shorty story though, I thought it was more than 3 pages but this might be it: http://www.williamflew.com/omni24b.html

I actually already posted on a sci-fi site and found out that it is In the Hereafter Hilton, but thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This is actually a BBC Radio Drama, but I figure this is a good spot for it:

I only remember the very beginning of this mystery drama. It starts with a gruff, cynical detective sitting on a bus while an older woman is (to his annoyance) telling him about a crime that she witnessed and how she is going to report it to the police. She is then killed as soon as she steps off the bus, causing the detective much anguish and him vowing to catch who did it.

That's as far as I got before I fell asleep. Now I cannot find it anywhere!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looks like it! Thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looking for an id (could be an old Agatha Christie short story? I haven't been able to find it): mystery, it involves a man living in an apartment that uses gas for the lights who has repeatedly woken up to find his rooms filled with gas. It is not the fault of the equipment and it turns out that someone on a lower floor is blowing into the gas tubing that runs through a supply closet, extinguishing the light in the man's apartment. The detective works this all out... I think that a flag pole is involved somehow to check to see if the man is asleep?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gats Akimbo posted:

But of a long shot, but maybe The Ghost at Massingham Mansions from The Eyes of Max Carrados? (http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1302121h.html)

It's lights showing and the bath filling in an empty apartment, though, though it is solved by blowing through the gas tubing (and using a pump to pump back the water, which busts the ceiling above an unfortunate tenant who's sleeping in the bath).

This is entirely possible- as soon as I saw Max Carrados I realized that this story was a radio adaptation and could have been from the "The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes" series that I listened to. I will check it out and get back to you!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Aha! While you may not have been luminous, Gats Akimbo, you are a conductor of light! It was "The Mystery of the Scarlet Thread" by Jacques Futrelle, who's Augustus S. F. X. was featured in The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember reading a sci fi book about a self replicating robot that eventually ends with the last remnants of humanity fleeing the galaxy, knowing that eventually the devices would follow them. Anyone know what it is?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

Von Neumann machines going out of control has been used a number of times, though you might be thinking of one of the Revelation Space books by Alastair Reynolds.

Yep it was one of the Revelation Space novellas, thanks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

As usual I'm looking for a BBC Radio Drama, but they are often based on books so I thought this might be a good place to ask: the story I'm looking for involves a woman walking along a beach and finding a body on some rocks with no tracks leading away. A man stops and they discuss what to do and he decides to walk to the nearest town and call the police, however when he doesn't return she goes and finds that he never actually went. Towards the end we discover that the murderer did not leave tracks because he was in the water on the other side of the rocks hiding.

That's as much as I remember. Does it ring a bell?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Unkempt posted:

There's a Lord Peter Wimsey story with that as the setup, I saw a TV version recently. I'll have a poke around for the title.

E: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_His_Carcase?

That is it- thanks!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Follow up here, but I looked into it and was saddened to see that Ian Carmichael (who played Wimsey in quite a few BBC adaptations) died in 2010. His IMDB photo is great, however, and how I would like to be remembered: drinking from a decanter of Scotch in a bathtub

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember reading a short story where all of a sudden people began to inexplicably show up at the same places. Like, a movie theatre would suddenly have everyone in town show up to watch a matinee. Eventually everyone stays home for fear that what they think they want to do is what everyone else is doing.

Any idea what the story is?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m pretty sure it was part of “50 Great Short Stories” but looking at the list I have no idea what it would be

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think this is an Arthur C Clarke story but for the life of me I cannot recall it: Sci fi, ship pilot is stranded in space when a massive god like figure saves him. I think the theme was that any advanced technology appears to be god or magic to lesser beings.

Anyone know the title?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is going to bug me because I'm pretty sure I recognize it and it's on the tip of my brain. The one I remember, the rescuer is an alien who pilots a spaceship that looks like a massive humanoid figure "walking" through space, because why the gently caress not when you're that advanced?

Is that in line with what you remember?

Yes it is

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m pretty sure the protagonist equates the alien helping him to the same way a human might help a caterpillar cross a road: tiny, insignificant, never to be thought of again

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have that collection downstairs- would not have guessed Niven, but totally makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Back for another BBC Radio Mystery Drama ID: a naked woman is found stuffed into the cabinet of a dentist. All I remember besides that detail is that a former lover of the accused dentist claims that his “style” would be to be naked as well, not clothed or something.

Anyone recognize it, it’s driving me nuts!