Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Could be any of LE Modessit Jrs books, they all had a pretty trite "random youth suddenly becomes skilled" progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Alistair Reynolds has some grungy ship stuff that kind of fits the bill for dystopian space.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

this came up in D&D, and I wonder if anyone here has insight, this is a book that existed in the mid-90s and I think may not go back much further than that but could conceivably date to the 70s.

This reminds me of a shared universe series from the 80s called Heroes in Hell (think like Thieves World, Wild Cards). The conceit was differing authors wrote various short stories/novellas that examined historical figures in hell, and the.events of the stories overlapped. I don't know that I read all of them, and don't recall the BDSM stuff, but some of those shared universe writers got up to some racy stuff (see again, Wild Cards). Hitler was definitely a central character though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Berzerker posted:

There was a series of books I used to read in the early to mid 90s and I feel like it was like the Hardy Boys, but less old. I remember something about a mean headmaster at the school the boys went to, and they probably solved mysteries or something along those lines. I think they were brothers but might have just been classmates. Does anyone know what series I am talking about? I can't find anything though admittedly I don't remember much.

If they pulled pranks instead of solving mysteries (and older than 90s) it could be Bruno and Boots.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow I thought for sure the gas pump book was some salvia fever dream in the OPs part. Mandela effect conspirators are going to have a field day with this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Libluini posted:

Thank you! Dave Duncan was the one I was thinking of, and the Pandemia books was what I was searching for. Thanks! I'll try to get them as ebooks immediately.

Edit:

Man I just saw Dave Duncan died in 2018. That sucks rear end. :(

I met him a couple times as he was Alberta based. Didn't sell his first book until he was 53

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To add further the Dave Duncan book that started this conversation might not even qualify, since the protagonist isn't physically transported elsewhere, his mind is shunted into a very different body in the new world.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Fighting Trousers posted:

There's a graphic novel (or comic series) about a Miss Moneypenny-esque character who has to become a badass superspy in her own right when some sort of poo poo hits the fan. And I cannot for the life of me remember more than that, and definitely not what it was called. (Maybe the main character's name started with a V?)

Velvet

https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/velvet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't there a bit in Snow Crash like that with the skateboard courier?