Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
I've probably mixed up my memories now but I remember reading a sci-fi book about a dude who gets conscripted into a space war as some sort of armored trooper, catch is that the humans have been enslaved by some sort of alien race which uses them as cannon fodder. It ends with the alien entity controlling his particular ship being killed in a battle and the remaining human troops on the ship mutiny and kill their officer corps who turn out to have been some sort of alien-human hybrid anyway. Then the troops decide to take the ship and head out to go colonize a planet somewhere out of the way. I can't remember what it was called or who the author might have been.

I also seem to remember that the armored suits start as a puddle of T1000 type glop that the troops step into and the suit forms around them before battle. After the alien dies the suits won't form any more.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Joe Haldeman book but I don't seem to be able to get any other hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

yaffle posted:

Can you have sex with the centaurs? Asking for a friend.

What is this, Piers Anthony?

What is this, Larry Niven?

What is this, Alan Dean Foster?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Hillary 2024 posted:

I've probably mixed up my memories now but I remember reading a sci-fi book about a dude who gets conscripted into a space war as some sort of armored trooper, catch is that the humans have been enslaved by some sort of alien race which uses them as cannon fodder. It ends with the alien entity controlling his particular ship being killed in a battle and the remaining human troops on the ship mutiny and kill their officer corps who turn out to have been some sort of alien-human hybrid anyway. Then the troops decide to take the ship and head out to go colonize a planet somewhere out of the way. I can't remember what it was called or who the author might have been.

I also seem to remember that the armored suits start as a puddle of T1000 type glop that the troops step into and the suit forms around them before battle. After the alien dies the suits won't form any more.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Joe Haldeman book but I don't seem to be able to get any other hits.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've read that book, but the only line I remember clearly is, 'You need to make friends with your suit'. I was thinking Christopher Anvil was the author maybe?

Looks like this might have been "Their Master's War" by Mick Farren.