Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ActionPhilosopher posted:

I recently saw the movie "I Am Legend", and it reminded me of a book I read in high school (but not the book by Richard Matheson). It might just be a short story or novella. Anyways, its about a man, who is locked/sequestered in a garden. He is allowed to request, and will receive any book or material he wants, but he isn't allowed any human contact. He is totally isolated. The story follows the various stages the man goes through as he goes insane from the lack of human interaction. I think the story was written around the turn of the century, but I could be wrong about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"The Bet" by Anton Chekhov?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

1) During the Destination Saturn thread in GBS some people mentioned a character from a Kurt Vonnegut book who's basically a hack science fiction writer who spends his days writing mediocre stuff similar to the one in the thread, anyone know which book that is?
The character is Kilgore Trout, who appears in several of Vonnegut's books.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Astarael posted:

2. This one was about a boy and his younger sister dealing with their mom paying less attention to them I think? I know at the end she shows them what she's been spending so much time on, which is painting illustrations for kids books, and the boy is really impressed at how beautiful they are. I think at one point the little sister gets lost and they have to go and search for her. One image I remember is they were making dinner, and the boy cuts himself, and thinks that his body, made by god, is less durable than the man-made tin can he cut himself on. He then feels guilty about this thought.
Help! There's a Cat Washing in Here! by Alison Smith.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Golden_Zucchini posted:

The first one had to do with an alien race (possibly referred to as Turtles, though that could have been the alien race in the other book) whose home planet had suffered some sort of disaster. Unfortunately, since the home planet was 75 light years away, the ship they sent was a bit late in investigating (they traveled at c by converting the entire ship into energy). When they arrived they found that the planet had been swallowed by a black hole. The crew decided to follow the planet into the black hole (or maybe fell in accidentally) and wound up in a different universe where all the stars had been encased in Dyson Spheres. After escaping an attack by the beings who lived there, the people in the ship dropped into another black hole and into a third universe which was just collapsing. That black hole brought them back into the universe they started from only several million years in the past. Eventually, they just tooled around at the speed of light for a while until the Turtles evolved on their home planet, picked up a few females, and continued on their way until they caught up to when they started, ready to repopulate the species. Not a terribly good book as I recall, but interesting enough.
The Singers of Time by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Meeper posted:

Okay, this is one I read years ago; it's about an (English?) couple in the 50s(?) who are in a nuclear blast and slowly get sick from radiation poisoning? It was a cartoon book, sort of, and I specifically remember them building a shelter inside their house which was just a plank sloped against a wall with a mattress on top? Ring any bells?
When the Wind Blows.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

nathanthekiller posted:

Alright, this has been on my mind for a while. I read a fantasy book about 4 to 5 years ago, but it may have been several years older. It involved a young man who I think failed his rite of passage which was to be able to do magic, and he was exiled. I remember one of his enemies could conjure swords out of thin air. Also I think there was quite a bit of sex in it, if that helps. I know its not much info, but its killing me.
Sounds like A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony, the first Xanth book.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ModernDayDiogenes posted:

First series was a tween/teen horror series, if I remember right. Kinda struck me as being published in the 70's, had that kinda vibe. There were three main characters that I remember - a kinda pudgy boy, maybe in his early teens, a girl (same age, maybe a little older), who I remember was always described as really thin, wore glasses, and had long black hair that (I think?) was described as parted down the middle. The third one was the girl's grandmother/great-aunt who usually was the hero of the books, because she was able to exorcise/fight off the demons that the kids encountered. In one book, the boy came to acquire a medallion that was possessed by a demon, and it gradually got more and more control of him as the book went on. I think the girl was more of a background character in this book, but the old woman helped him fight off the demon of the medallion. I cannot remember the plot of the second book, but I do remember that the girl and the old woman are the main characters, and in this one the boy's a background character. About the only detail I can remember about the other book is when the girl and the old woman are at the gas station, and the author writes that the girl always likes to go to the gas station, because she likes the smell of gasoline and she likes to see the numbers on the pump spin around. Then, as they're driving back, the old woman falls ill (possibly because of demon attack?), and the girl has to drive her truck back, and there's a snippet of her struggling with the gears of the truck.
Probably the books of John Bellairs.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. West posted:

Looking for a strange sort of zoology book from at least twenty years ago. I remember it had a nice, leather binding and everything was done so professionally it felt like a field guide, but rather than any earthy creature inside there were just these incredibly detailed drawings and dissections of these prehistoric alien things. I remember one in particular that looked like a jellyfish around the size of an island that floated on the surface of the water and caught birds trying to land on its gigantic top. Also, if I remember correctly, there were two volumes: one for these prehistoric creatures and one for aliens. I honestly wish I had the gall to steal that thing in the third grade, because it was a real triumph in style.
Sounds like Wayne Barlowe. He wrote and illustrated a book called Expedition that has paintings and notes about the animal inhabitants of an imaginiary planet. He also did the Guide to Extraterrestrials, which contains pictures of aliens from various science fiction stories.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jack the Lad posted:

Ugh, this is driving me crazy.

I just remembered a book I read on holiday a few years ago.. it was about a cyborg/robot soldier, possibly the result of a secret government project, who went rogue in Latin America and became like the protector of this village against the local despot. At the end I think he walked into the sea.

I think Spider was involved somehow, like as a name? Or he had a spider tattoo or something. Maybe not.

Thanks guys.
Probably Weapon by Robert Mason.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Saeka posted:

I was reading Wikipedia one day and came across the description of a book in which everyone on the planet's consciousness jumped back in time 10 years. However, instead of being able to change events, like in a traditional time loop story, everyone is forced to relive the same events that had happened. The book deals with the fallout of the entire human population having essentially relived their last 10 years on autopilot, and the shock of being in control again.
Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Hixson posted:

Trying to remember the name of a scifi short story. Sorry if it's been mentioned before

I think I read it in a highschool english class. It starts off with a group of humans heading south to escape a glacier, just to find that there is another glacier coming from the south.

Fastforward a few hundred years. An spacefaring alien reptilian race. Finds the earth, (covered in ice) and discovers the belongings of the humans mentioned above. One of the items found was a Disney film real. The alien race wastes alot of time trying to "decipher" the real.
"History Lesson" by Arthur C. Clarke.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Flaming Condor posted:

My boyfriend saw a book in Barnes and Noble a while ago that we haven't been able to find since. Here's what I know about it:

It was translated into English from Japanese, probably within the last couple of years.

I think it was a children's or YA novel, but not positive.

I believe it was about some kids who go through a haunted house and end up in a fantasy world.

The cover was very colorful.

Incredibly vague, I know, but I'd be so grateful if you guys can help me figure it out!
Brave Story.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

superv0zz posted:

I've been trying to find this short story forever.. it's about a kid living in the future and people have stopped going outside.. they use these teleporters to get from point A to B and he's scared that the power will shut off and he'll be half here and half there.

He finally goes outside and shows up at school with boots covered in mud and everyone starts going outside again. I read this in grade 8 or so so it may be in a kids reader or something.
"It's Such a Beautiful Day" by Isaac Asimov.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Basically it was a (fictional) story about a school where a caste system was implemented, denoted by arm bands. I think blue was the upper-tier one, there were two middle-tier castes, and a yellow caste of the lowest. You had to be nice to the castepeople above you, and you could demand stuff from a lower-caste person. Because this was a child's book, I vaguely remember it being only simple things.

According to the rules, you could be promoted to a better caste, or demoted to a worst caste. The children had to write journals about their experiences, and give them to the teachers.

The reveal at the end was that the teachers were using the system to teach why caste systems don't work and/or aren't good. People were only being promoted / demoted if they weren't learning that lesson, not because they were doing anything inherently better or worse. Person in the upper-middle band, for example, would be demoted because they had an upper-middle band existence. Someone in the lowest-tier band would be promoted because they vowed to be nicer if they were in the higher tiers.
The War Between the Classes.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Adar posted:

About a year or two ago, someone in LF posted a link to a forum with one of the worst stories I've ever read. It was about Hell invading the Earth and the world's combined militaries counter-attacking Hell back. Yes, every bit as bad as this sounds (obviously not published so it's also full of spelling errors). What set this apart from the usual fanfic was that it was probably a few hundred pages long and full of military jargon.

I'm trying to find it to horrify my friends but my Google-fu fails me. Anyone got a link?
The Salvation War.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Trying to remember a children's series of books. They were predecessors to the Encyclopedia Brown style of books that were big in the early/mid 80s where each chapter had a problem to solve. I remember one puzzle in the first book was how to get a golf ball out of a gopher or rabbit tunnel. I swear the series was called Tack or T.A.C.K. but I can't find anything by searching for that + "children's book"
It was the TACK series, written by Nancy K. Robinson and Marvin Miller. There was TACK to the Rescue, TACK Against Time, TACK into Danger, TACK Secret Service, and maybe more.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

fritz posted:

I'm trying to remember the title of a book I saw a few times over the last couple years.
* From the cover blurb, it seemed to be about a kid in a dysfunctional family who had some kind of escape into a secondary world
* I think it was either by a Japanese author or a translation of a Japanese book (no anime)
* It was trade paperback, published sometime within the last five years
Probably Brave Story.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zoinker posted:

There's this sci-fi story I read in an anthology a while ago that I want to track down again. Can't remember the author, but the premise was pretty interesting and creepy.

Basically there's this planet where the dominant lifeform is this kind of red weed that infects other creatures, causing red weed to grow from their eye sockets, adding them to some sort of hive-mind. The book starts with a earth based space ship arriving for some reason or other, that basically has to nuke a large swathe of ground into oblivion to create a safe landing zone in order to minimize the risk of the crew getting infected.
That sounds like the Isaac Asimov story "Green Patches," except in that the alien life form is green, not red.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

dhkx posted:

I've been trying to locate a sci fi book I read when I was a kid about 10 years ago. All I can remember was that it was set primarily in space and the characters had to deal with tiny (I think) insects that could attack their ships and eat through the hulls. I think the first word in the title was "Deepspace" or "Backwater" but I could very well be wrong.

This is really not much information but it's been driving me crazy recently and google hasn't been of much help.

Thanks in advance!
Deepwater Black by Ken Catran.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

eating only apples posted:

e: Oh, and another one for you guys. Another YA thing from 6-10 years ago. Teenage girl gets captured by demon man and taken to his castle. He's the typical beautiful demon guy, only he can't heal his wounds, and at one point he gets lacerations right through his cheek that never heal. He has dogs guarding the castle steps. In the garden there's a cave, in which there's a river I think and a man lives there, he helps the protagonist. There's something about apples with this guy.

There's also a sideplot about a prince and his mother travelling with a group of merchants through a desert to find somethingorother, an oasis maybe? Anyway the mother (the queen?) gets killed, possibly poisoned. I think the demon guy dies in the end in a similar manner, the teenage girl has to kill him or something? There's a love plot, a creepy stockholm syndrome thing.

Been driving me batty for years, any help would be appreciated :)
Some of that sounds like The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce, but that might not be it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Detective Thompson posted:

Which Asimov book/story has a super computer that, if I remember right, is a large glass sphere filled with some sort of gaseous substance.
"Escape!"

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

DaGr8Gatzby posted:

I remember reading this book in 7th grade about a war with Streetcars. They used pea shooters to shoot out the tires. That is all I remember about this book. It was one of the weirdest books I have ever read.

Any ideas?
The Pushcart War.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

miryei posted:

In either the movie that you remember, or in the book that Lyon's trying to find, was there a museum involved? Either the kids ran away and were hiding in a museum, or the old guy owned a museum, or something.

If not, then I'm remembering something else entirely.
Two kids living in a museum sounds like From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, which has been adapted into two movies. However it has nothing to do with finding a skeleton and burned money.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

This is an odd one, as I already know the book (or think I do) but I think it's a different version from what I've read.

When I was a kid in the early 80s my dad had a copy of When Harlie Was One that I used to read. It was a bit beyond my reading level, so I mostly just skipped to the sex scenes and the conversations between the main character and the computer. I remember there was a relationship developing between the main character and a woman that he talked to the computer about a lot, and Harlie at first was jealous, then more helpful and supportive. There was also a conversation about mortality, and Harlie asked the main character how long humans live, and he said that we were made out of protoplasm, which is indestructible. At the end, Harlie is going to be shut down, and before he is he prints up hundreds of pages of love poems as a gift for the protagonist, with a note saying they were to be anniversary presents for his wife, and he was sorry he only made enough for the first 500 years.

Anyway, this was when I was 9 or 10, so probably around 81 or 82. Many years later, I re-read the book (and I THOUGHT it was the same physical copy I read when I was a kid) and it was largely as I remembered it, but the thing about humans being indestructible wasn't in it, and Harlie didn't die in the end and there was no giant printout of love poetry (though Harlie does compose poetry).

I checked the version history and there has been one revision, but it doesn't mention any major plot changes and I can't find anything about alternate endings online. I'm beginning to think I merged two stories in my memory, and now I'm wondering what the other story was.
The story about a computer printing out 500 years' worth of poetry is EPICAC by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 4, 2012

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sanford posted:

I remember a short story from a sci-fi anthology (that seems to be a theme in this thread). It was written in the first person, with the main character fleeing through space from a group he called the Usurpers, until he finds a world that seems totally untouched by them. He hides there and realises this is the place he first met them, and shared his knowledge. He hides but they find him and run him to ground, declaring that the world is a sacred place and he may not be there. Resigned to his fate he asks, in a pitiful fashion, "But why? I am God!". The Usurper replies "Yes. But I am Man. Now come". End of story. Any ideas?
"Evensong" by Lester del Rey.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

BattyKiara posted:

Book for older children, posibly from the 90s. A large book about goblins. Written as a scientific work, by someone who studied goblins. It had annotations by goblins in red ink.

Brian Froud's The Goblins of the Labyrinth, also known as The Goblin Companion: A Field Guide to Goblins. It's actually a tie-in to the movie Labyrinth.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Astrofig posted:

This book was one I read at camp ~15 years ago. I don't recall the title or author; all I recall distinctly was that it was a collection of separate stories about young people dying in horrible ways----one chapter was called 'In Love's Blood: Malaria' and it told how these two friends were vacationing somewhere tropical but one of them forgets to take his antimalarial pills and guess what! An infected mosquito bites him! The text described what was happening inside his body as he was swimming and making out with cute girls.

The real stand-out line was from a nurse who eventually starts treating this comatose sap: 'His blood is black with malaria!'

I'd like to reread the whole thing and see if it is really as crazy as I recall.

Last Breath by Peter Stark.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Korgan posted:

Read this probably over a decade ago. Collection of short sci-fi stories, the one that's bothering me is when an alien race of squat humanoids with high melanoma take up orbit over earth, then demand all humans leave to the southern hemisphere so they can colonise the northern hemisphere. Leaders of the world all panic, one of the aides then broadcasts every single human war and a lot of fictional movie war scenes at the alien ships, basically telling them 'gently caress with us and we'll fight you to our dying breath.' Aliens revise their plan, saying they'll just take the population to work as slave soldiers due to a war they're fighting, and they won't colonise the planet after all as ..."we don't want to lose you." Aide is horrified, military bloke who worked with them is elated, story ends.

There were also some other stories like another alien race helping the planet by disabling explosions so our weapons wouldn't work but it turns out it was part of their sinister plot to invade, and other generally warlike stories. Loved these stories when I was younger because gently caress yeah, aliens and war in one book, perfect. Wouldn't mind finding them again. Oh also there were a few illustrations, like one per story? I remember they showed the alien from the first story I mentioned.
The first story is "Earth Surrenders" by Barbara Paul, the second is "To Serve Man" by Damon Knight. The book must be The Young Oxford Book of Aliens.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

scaper exile posted:

I saw a made for T.V movie years ago that a acquaintance told me was based upon a classic book. A brief synopsis without the ending is provided below:

A man is serving as a grunt in an army (redcoats perhaps but not 100% sure) when a senior officer with no family dies in his arms. He switches uniforms and uses his new name to court a wealthy widow who has a son. He fathers a son that the older boy grows to love/hate. The younger boy is spoiled rotten and his father drinks, whores and gambles the estate away. Eventually the father buys the younger boy a small pony with the understanding that he is not to ride it without direct supervision...being a spoiled little poo poo he promptly gets himself killed on the pony and the older boy who has slowly come to the realization that this man is not who he says he is and has wasted the entire fortune challenges him to a duel...
That's the plot of Barry Lyndon, which was based on the book The Luck of Barry Lyndon by William Makepeace Thackeray. It isn't a made-for-TV movie, though.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

AreYouStillThere posted:

Asking this for a customer, as I was completely stumped.

She said it was essentially a book of Doctor Who plot synopses (all the old series, of course), and she had it in the early 80s. She said they were 2 pages or so per episode, but knew very little besides that.

Thank you if anyone has any ideas!

The Programme Guide?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone know the title of Steinbeck's book about a man trying to unionize orchard workers and regularly stopping by a diner for hamburgers? I started it back in middle-school and never finished because my already tattered copy fell apart and lost a bunch of pages.

In Dubious Battle.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Linnear posted:

It was a short story about two of the last people on Earth. One was a vampire, and the other was... something else, I don't remember. They had a conversation, which ended with the other agreeing to let the vampire have a drink. The vampire couldn't control himself, however, and drained the other completely.

In the process, the vampire gained the other one's powers and found he could start life anew on the desolate earth. It would take a while, but he could wait. And that's how it ended.

"Opening a Vein" by Barry N. Malzberg and Bill Pronzini.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

BattyKiara posted:

Science fiction novel. The language was sort of 1950/60ish. A father is concerned that his 10 year old suddenly starts having imaginary friends. The son starts asking weird questions abou the Earth, claiming his invisible friend needs to know these facts. In the end we fnd out the imaginary mates are really aliens interogating the boy to prepare for an invasion and colonisation of Earth.

Sounds like "Zero Hour" by Ray Bradbury.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

A couple of decades ago, I read a book (I think) about a young man who wins the lottery. The following is what I think I remember:

The main character had just turned 18, and bought the ticket to celebrate, or because he could.
The story is set in New York, maybe New York State rather than New York City.
The jackpot was $2,000,000.

Any or all of the above could be completely wrong.

Uneasy Money by Robin F. Brancato.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Centripetal Horse posted:

Hah, thanks. The title doesn't really ring any bells, but that is definitely the book. Did you find this for me, or did you know the answer off the top of your head?

I read it a long time ago, and somehow I remembered the title.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SerialKilldeer posted:

e: And one more!
5. Fairy-tale or a retelling of one, about a girl having to do seemingly impossible tasks. A helpful creature of some kind, perhaps a bird, told her how to solve them in rhyme. One of the tasks was carrying water in a sieve, and the solution was to pack it with clay and hay. I remember this because it struck me as cheating, at the time. Read this sometime in the 90's, but I think the book was much older than this.

"The Two Stepsisters" by Peter Christen Asbjørnsen.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pork Pie Hat posted:

1) A non-fiction book I read about 15 years ago. It was presented as a series of Sherlock Holmes short stories in which Holmes and Watson investigated mysteries that were all based on modern scientific things, so the reader could learn about modern science (I want to say it was just physics, but I'm not 100% on that) in the guise of fiction. One of the mysteries involved a heavy metal sphere dived in half, and it turned out that when the two halves were joined together a nuclear explosion occurred. That sort of thing.

The Einstein Paradox by Colin Bruce.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SereneCrimson posted:

Thanks to a discussion with a friend about books we read in high school, I am struggling to remember the one I read that I really liked.

I know the main character was a young man. Perhaps high school/college aged.
He ran away from home and started living in the wilderness. I recall at some point he met a girl while living in the wild, and there was some sort of peril she got into. Maybe even dying.

I know it's a real vague description to go off of, but it's been like 14 years since I have even thought about it and it's driving me nuts not to remember what it was.

Maybe Brian's Return or Brian's Hunt, sequels to Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Chairman Capone posted:

There's an Isaac Asimov (I think... maybe Arthur C. Clarke, but I'm pretty sure Asimov) short story about a rabbi being called in to determine if a genetically engineered pig with cloven hooves and which chews cud can be considered kosher... tried hard to find it today but even Google is failing me.

"The R-Strain" by Harry Turtledove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

mr. unhsib posted:

Okay, longshot but here it goes. I read a weird sci fi short story about a couple who have a baby that's born as an oblong rectangle. The reason given is that the baby is partially in another dimension (or something). Eventually the parents are able to visit the baby in its dimension (also appearing as weird 3D shapes in our universe), and ends with both parents staying in the child's world permanently. Does this ring any bells for anybody?

Would love to know the name or author. I read it in the mid 90s and it felt a bit dated then, so it's possibly quite old.

"Tomorrow's Child" by Ray Bradbury.