Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Help. I've just been reminded of a book I read probably 25-30 years ago and only remember bits of. Does this seem familiar to anyone?

The synopsis I remember is that the book's set in a virtual RPG where something has gone wrong (maybe people being trapped, this is late 80's to 90's so litrpg tropes before litrpg was a thing), and one of the creators who'd long left the company is called back in to troubleshoot.

The points I remember most are that the character called back in was the original combat system designer, who was an olympic level fencer who's too old to be competitive now, and originally was the sole character with the 'bard' class.

This is going to bug me for days, I can almost see the cover art. It was not a good book, but I read pretty much any trash fantasy/SF I could get my hands on then.

It might have been early-mid 1990's, I think I read it somewhere around 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wizzardstaff posted:

Is it In The Net Of Dreams by William Mark Simmons?

That's the loving thing, I knew that cover was familiar. Thanks!

Robert Remington Ripley the loving third, how did I not remember that protagonist.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 26, 2022