Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

A trilogy I got from my local library maybe a decade ago. A fantasy world where the main character was a lawyer of some sort - except trials were sword duels either to first blood or to death. I think the guy was really old and relatively successful (You had to be to live long in the profession).

Later in the trilogy he taught himself how to be a bowyer and ended up doing something really creepy like make a bow out of the thigh bones and flesh of his own dead nephew. There was also a lot of talk about siege weaponry.

I think the main city was populated by a certain race and ended up being attacked by the surrounding savage tribes. One of this tribe entered the city and eventually ended up working on their siege weaponry and then either did or didn't take it back to his tribe (I forget).

Anyone help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

LittleSunshine posted:

Me again; I love the chance to show off! I reckon you want KJ Parker's Fencer trilogy; Colours in the Steel, Belly of the Bow and, um, something else.

Ninja edit: The Proof House is the 3rd, I think.

I both love and hate you for getting this so fast.

Also HOLY CRAP

Wikipedia posted:

In reality, Parker is a pseudonym of the British writer Tom Holt

I read these books years ago and just got into Holt in the last year or so and I love him. My mind is broken. Damned authors and their psuedonyms.

Thanks so much :D

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

LittleSunshine posted:

Wow, I didn't know that either! That's quite a change of pace he's got between his names... though I suppose The Walled Orchard proved he could do other than urban fantasy humour.

And glad to help! :D

Haven't read the Walled Orchard yet but the urban fantasy comedy and the epic fantasy do have a common link in that the Fencer is a discontented Lawyer and every one of his comedy books features at least one of the same (or an accountant).