Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

subpage posted:

Trying to remember a book that I started readed last year but lost before I could finish it. It was recommended pretty heavily here on SA so I think it'll be pretty easy to I.D.

The Book is Sci-Fi;It's starts with a genetically engineered assassin (with poison finger nails and teeth) getting tortured and then saved by his giant allies. There is also a race at war with these giants that are mostly humans and robots living together. I read up until he was on some ice planet and blew up a cruise liner with a nuke or something.

thanks

Consider Phlebas, by Iain M. Banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CaptainCrunch posted:

Here we go. First one is a book that I read back in the late 70's early 80's however I think it is much older than that. In fact the tone of the book feels as though it might have been written in the 20's. Protagonist is a teen boy who meets up with an old righ guy who happens to be an inventor/mad scientist type. He somehow invents an antigravity metal (it falls up) and his house is demolished in the process. They build some sort of airship with the remaining metal and travel the world, ending up on Krakatoa. The islanders have some sort of steam tech that draws on the volcano. However, like Atlantis, they go too far or something and cause the island to blow up as history shows. Our heros escape, naturally just in time. For some reason I am lead to think that one of the characters is a giant boy who grew to 20 odd feet tall because his digestive system is perfectly efficient and converts 100% of his food to nutrients. However, I'm not certain if he was in that book or just one I read contemperary to the Anti-gravity metal one.

You're combining at least three books here.

The mad scientist who destroys his house with antigravity metal might be from The First Men in the Moon, by H. G. Wells.

The stuff about Krakatoa is from The Twenty-One Balloons, by William Pene du Bois.

I don't know where the other elements are from but it's not either of those.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

I read a book that was well above my reading level when I was in middle school I believe. It was a fiction novel I believe about a boy and girl he met that had experience with the fourth dimension and moving ata or kata through space. She eventually comes to teach him how to move himself.

Details are sketchy and that's the best I can remember. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

The Boy Who Reversed Himself, by William Sleator. And I think you have it backwards- the boy is the dimension traveller, who teaches the girl.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A short story set in a school in a colony on a planet in the process of being terraformed that has one day of good weather every few decades. On that day a young girl is looking forward to it, but just before it happens some horsing around with classmates goes awry and she ends up locked in a closet and forgotten until it's over. Any ideas?

vvv Thanks!

haveblue fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2009

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kazanski posted:

I'm looking for a short story I read as a kid. It was in a book that was a collection of "scary" stories. Some kid finds out that this remote control he has can be used to operate the world. He does a bunch of stuff a kid would do with such a discovery: muting his parents, rewinding so he can eat more dessert (I think it was pudding), etc. The ending is that he presses the power button, and everything disappears. When he tries to turn it back on, the batteries are dead. Does anyone know what this is? I'm sure it would be absolutely retarded to read now, but I loved it back then.

I can't find an exact match for this but it sounds like it belongs in Paul Jennings' "Un__________!" series.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I just found this thread.

When I was in school one of my teachers gave us a section of a book to read in class. IIRC, it was about a house that was very Jetson-like, with robots cleaning and cooking, however there seemed to be bleak/depressing undertone to the narration. I think the robots eventually took control of the house. I do remember that there wasn't any conversation in the story, but this may have been just the section we were given. I'm almost positive it wasn't the HAL9000 book.

I understand how this may be too vague to decipher. Thanks for the help though!

"There Will Come Soft Rains", from The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

angelicism posted:

I feel horrible for doing this but I think I am making a repeat request: I asked about this book before (and I 90% thought it was in this thread, but I literally just went through every page and couldn't find my post about it so maybe not) and had thought the book in question was called "Dogstar" but I can't seem to find anything on Amazon that matches the description, so if anyone can't help out with an author that would be amazing.

It's a children/teen book about the star Sirius, who does something terrible (to the stars/galaxy/whatever) so as punishment he's sent to earth in the form of a dog and he's not allowed to be a star again until he completes his mission. He gets born as a puppy in a litter and I think in the beginning he has no idea that he was a star and subsequently no idea what he has to do. I don't really remember much beyond this, unfortunately, like what he was supposed to find/do or the ending beyond of course it was happily ever after (he completed his mission and was forgiven).

That's because you don't have the name quite right.

Dogsbody, by Diana Wynne Jones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

I read a short story online years ago about two scientists that invent a acausal computer, and use it to simulate the universe. The point of interest is that the simulation simulates another universe, and an infinite regress occurs - in both directions, so when the scientists spawn a black sphere behind the scientists in simulated universe, one also appears behind them.

http://everything2.com/title/I+don%2527t+know%252C+Timmy%252C+being+God+is+a+big+responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deep Winter posted:

I remember a book I used to rent alot about two teenagers whose family is gifted a mansion from a rich relative who died. The mother and father are busy, and decide to send the two kids up by themselves to scope it out. They find a shed in the backyard where time moves faster:about one minute outside is an hour in. What's more, the sink is a wormhole to another dimension/galaxy/universe. Every once and awhile, what appears to be trash comes through. Except one day they look in the sink and see something new is heading their way. Something alive. Something with teeth.

Singularity, by William Sleator.