Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Seksiness posted:

I'm looking for some help finding a piece of prose.

It was a long time ago so some of my descriptions may be incorrect but the poem was written about (two?) towers in a field of wheat/soya in a dystopian society. All I can clearly remember was part of the poem being written from within a canteen in one of the towers. I believe it was part of an anthology of prose (called Brave New World) that was part of the GCSE cirriculum, although we never studied that particular piece

okay are you looking for a poem or a piece of prose? your post is extremely confusing in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

therattle posted:

When I was a kid (80s) I read from my library a series of books which were hilarious: they were humorous westerns, and, as I recall, very funny and well-written. Admittedly, I was about 10, but I was a precocious little fucker so they probably were quite good. They were aimed at (probably older) kids, but were also quite knowing. There was definitely more than one. For some reason the name Zane Grey seems relevant, but it obviously isn't him. Any ideas?

Edit: I posted this 6 minutes ago! WHY HASN'T ANYONE RESPONDED!?

it is more than an hour now. I feel so let down and disappointed. Oh Book Barn, why hast thou forsaken me!?

your posts amounts to "i read a western once, pretty funny. maybe kids books, hard to say because i am incredibly smart. something about zane grey, who knows." there is very little chance anyone is going to be able to parse anything out of that. it's just not enough information.

also stop being a human being.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Runoir posted:

Also, and forgive me if I've asked this before (darn search!). I read a short story about some astronauts that land on a planet and find an abandoned city. They search the city, and near the end of the story, the city kills them and replaces their internal organs with machines, then sends them home to spy on earth. O.o

That's The City by Ray Bradbury, from The Illustrated Man, but the city doesn't send them back to spy on Earth...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

My wife is trying to remember the name of a novel that she got in the school library as a kid. She says she felt at the time that if the school had read it then it probably wouldn't have been there, so it may not be a YA novel. It's set in ancient Egypt, and the story opens with the main character at a party or banquet preparing to do some important, decisive thing. An old man, possibly carrying a scroll, approaches and tell him not to do the important thing. He shoves the old man aside and goes through with it, it leads to his eventual downfall, and so forth. In the end when he dies he begs the gods (there may be a heart weighing sequence) for the chance to go back and warn himself, and they grant his wish and send him back as the old man, to be ignored by his younger self. She also remembers the main character marrying a woman with a name that might have sounded something like "Ssu-bassu".

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

BattyKiara posted:

Sounds like Scroll of Saqqara by Pauline Gedge

Awesome. Looks like that (under the US title Mirage) was probably it. Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

That’s what I see too. The new review does release collections with titles like “the new review economy” so it’s possibly one of those

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

VostokProgram posted:

A short story about a highwayman who robs carriages in a swamp in England. One day he sees a beautiful woman in the swamp, and he starts following her. She trapped him, by leading him off the safe path into the bog where he gets stuck and drowns. She's actually the ghost of someone he killed in one of his robberies.

Anyone know what this is?

Hm not exactly the same but it resembles this folk tale https://moonmausoleum.com/the-highwayman-robbed-of-his-life/

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

They're making a movie of it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Hughlander posted:

Pretty sure you have it a bit wrong but you mean 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong:

i hope that's the entire plot. the end no moral

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Brawnfire posted:

I love Grover!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

The_Doctor posted:

The Invisibles go back in time and visit the Marquis de Sade? He ends up coming back with them to the present day.

I think they actually go into the book 120 Days of Sodom, so that's almost definitely correct