Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme
This is a short story I read as a kid, probably 20+ years ago. I'd have read it in German, no idea if that was the original language.

A young child, I think it was a girl, walks to school by herself one morning. Along the way, she discovers the dead body of someone she recognizes (a teacher?) slightly hidden off the road. There's a bullet wound or a similar sign that the person was murdered. The kid goes to school and tries telling the adults about it, but nobody believes her. So on her way back home, out of spite, she hides/covers the body so nobody else will accidentally discover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

filmcynic posted:

So I've been straining my rusty brain for details about a short story that most likely appeared in a horror anthology during the early 1990's. (I've looked at titles edited by the likes of Douglas Winter and Kirby McCauley, but nothing rings a bell.) In the story, a lonely man travels to a remote desert area known for its mysterious Stonehengian sculptures.   The story ends with the man being transformed by the locals into a piece of living statuary, complete with a wind chime-like device placed between his teeth to catch the breeze.   Aiiiiieeeeeee.   

Nostalgic ick factor aside, the main reason I'm trying to track it down is that I seem to remember it being by an author with a reputation outside of the horror genre. I've been googling through the back catalogs of Paul Bowles and J.G. Ballard, but to no avail. (It really seems like it would be by Bowles.) Help. Please. 

In Praise of Folly by Thomas Tessier