Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm looking at houses, and with the extra space, I'd like to budget for a theater room.

I was hoping to do a passive 3D setup with 2 1080p projectors and filters. Does anyone have a recommendation for a setup like this? I'd like to keep it around $4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Are projector typically... loud?

Just got my Optoma HD25 LV and even without a screen yet it's beautiful, projecting from the coffee table. Even after putting it in eco mode and turning off dynamic blacks like I saw recommended elsewhere, it makes a rather noticeable fan whine. About as loud as my previous plasma, except the projector is sitting way closer.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

I'm looking at houses, and with the extra space, I'd like to budget for a theater room.

I was hoping to do a passive 3D setup with 2 1080p projectors and filters. Does anyone have a recommendation for a setup like this? I'd like to keep it around $4k.

I wouldn't. I would do a cheap projector and wait for a passive projector with LED bulbs and whatever else to hit the market.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mango Polo posted:

Are projector typically... loud?

Just got my Optoma HD25 LV and even without a screen yet it's beautiful, projecting from the coffee table. Even after putting it in eco mode and turning off dynamic blacks like I saw recommended elsewhere, it makes a rather noticeable fan whine. About as loud as my previous plasma, except the projector is sitting way closer.

Sounds like my HD33. It has a very high pitched whine to it. Build a quiet box for it...

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Edit: I'm dumb. Checked the projection calculator and realized I can't do either the HD25 or the BenQ W1070. My size and placement requirements put both of those out of the running.

Now I have to decide if I'm willing to buy the nearly 3 year old 8350 knowing I won't be replacing it for 2+ years. It's the one I'd looked at for a long time, but I'm hesitant when it comes to futureproofing.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 9, 2013

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

KillHour posted:

You should be able to use an HDMI splitter and 2 Optoma HD33s to do this; they have a built in 3D demuxer that allows you to show only the right or left image. You'll also need 2 82mm camera linear polarizing filters.

Pricing:
Filters - 2x $65
Projectors - 2x $1300 (If you don't mind referbished Woot seems to have them on sale every other week for around $999)
HDMI splitter - $25

This puts you around $2800 before the screen. In order for this to work you'll need to use a silver screen instead of a white/grey one in order to preserve the polarization.

There are a couple of different options for the screen.

They make special paint if you want go that route.

Another option is to buy a pre-built screen such as a Stewart Silver 5D but this could be $$$$. I'm sure there also cheaper screen options.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Have you considered an HD66? 1080P is probably outside your budget at that price range but the HD66 is very nice and has 3D if you care about that.

3d isn't important, but that might be a good option! Mixed with this site I'll have to do some measuring to see how well it will work.

Thanks!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
What's the best bang for the buck on a projector around $500? Been looking at the Optoma HD66. Can't really afford the Epson 8350 right now.

Edit: Looks like a similar question was posted a page back. Sorry :)

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
Need to find

* Gaming / Home theater, preferably 1080p
* 27' throw distance
* bright as the sun.

Did some digging on Projector Central and came up with
Optoma HD25-LV - http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD25-LV.htm

Thoughts?

Not super concerned on spending money, I just don't want to end up with a poo poo projector.

macoto
Jun 6, 2004
MACOTO YOU ARE UNBANNED MUCH TO YOUR DISMAY!!!!! CONSIDER YOURSELF SPITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! love uniball

King Hotpants posted:

General screen guidelines:
  • The perfect gain for home theater is 1.3. Learn to love it. Any more and you might get hotspotting, any less and it's not bright enough.
  • Screens should be white. You don't need a gray screen. Gray screens are for projectors that can't manage a decent black. They don't make those anymore. Well, OK, they do, but you shouldn't be using them for home theater.
  • If you're getting a pull-down, make sure it's tab-tensioned. Untensioned pulldown screens develop ripples really quickly.
  • Spending a lot of money on a screen is okay. You'll put several projectors on the same screen.

QFT. Though currently I'm looking at advantages of Firehawk G3 (in a ceiling mounted projector setup) vs. a matte white screen. Though isn't the Studiotek 130 supposed to be like the nicest screen they make...

I can get a used motorized tab-tensioned Screen Innovations white matte (Gamma HD 1.1) screen, any thoughts about that? In the space (screen mounted 6" from off-white wall) isn't that gonna reflect a ton of light and be a disaster? Or you'd still say you don't need a gray screen?

I'm curious, since he's right that "high contrast gray screens" came out to make early DLP projectors look better. But isn't Firehawk G3 supposed to be the bomb if you are ceiling mounting?

Thoughts?

Also thanks to this thread for pointing out the Epson 8350, that thing looks sweet. And the $899.99 refurb?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a 1.0 gain screen, and in my room, I've got the brightness turned down -2 on my projector (optima hd33, far from a bright projector). I'm planning to build a DIY acoustically transparent .8 gain screen soon. At 1 gain, the blacks are good. At .8, they would be pretty much perfect.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So for what I'm looking for there is a huge list of projectors under $700.

I have a sort of hard time telling them apart. The Vivitek D803W
looks to be a fair amount better than the HD66, so I was thinking of going with that for only $100 more.

Anyone have any opinions? It seems sort of like a random shot in the dark as to what will work great, and I bet they are all pretty similar, any thought to if they actually are?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
If anyone in Canada is looking for a good, inexpensive projector, memoryexpress.com has the BenQ W1070 on sale right now for $799, which is $200 off. It's a 1080p 3D projector with decent black levels. I've been waiting for a price drop on this one for a while now and it kills me not to be able to buy it, but other things in my life take priority.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Coming straight from the HDTV thread: am I ignoring obvious stuff, if I'm considering a sub-800€ projector (the aforementioned BenQ W1070) in place of a plasma HDTV? The usage would be movies/serials/anime/gaming, about 11 feet/3.5 meters distance view.

It seems weird that such little expense could deliver as much as an expensive huge HDTV? What am I ignoring? Power consumption? Average lamp life?

edit: is there a "HDTV vs projector" post/thread? Or a "things you need to know if you want to use projectors as monitors"?

Char fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 25, 2013

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I believe a projector will use more power (especially vs an LED TV) and yes you will have to replace the bulb after a few thousand hours. They don't look very good in bright rooms, so you need to have good light control.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

They're also trickier with placement, wiring can be a pain depending on the room, you need a totally clear line of sight from the projector to the screen (and when considering cost you have to remember to include a screen as well, etc.

Projectors are great, and for a huge image in a dark room you can't beat them. But they're a lot fussier than TVs, and you should know that going in.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Yes to all of that. You'll need a ceiling mount as well, unless it will just be sitting on a coffee table. If you're ceiling mounting it, you'll also have to worry about running an HDMI cable up to the projector, and you may want to hire an electrician to put an outlet in the ceiling for you. Otherwise you'll have wires everywhere. Some projectors (like an Epson 3010 I believe) has wireless HDMI support.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Wiring, mount and light control aren't a problem. The bulb is. I currently use my monitor even up to 4 hours/day; I can't expect the same from a projector, I guess, unless I want to buy a new bulb every year.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
More likely every other year. Lots of projectors have eco mode as well to make the bulb last longer. It really depends on the projector though.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
The BenQ W1070 states "up to 6000 hours"... which probably would realistically mean every other year, right. And I wouldn't have to worry about image retention. But the power consumption seems to be on par or slightly higher than a plasma TV.

So, all in all, a projector has more hidden costs.

Compromises everywhere!

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
If you don't have an audio system, you'll want one. TV speakers are way the hell better than most projector speakers. 10W mono ain't poo poo.

If you are using the projector as a TV, a new lamp every other year sounds about right. W1070 replacements cost $249, which isn't bad at all as projectors go.

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
I ended up with a Optoma HD25-LV and am currently looking into a Stewart Filmscreen - either studiotek 130 or Firehawk G3.
Being in a loft has made it a little weird, since it's a 25'w 17'h 76'd room.

This thread has been great and I hope that King Hotpants posts his megathread.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I don't think I'll need an audio system ASAP, I plan to use my PC - scratch that, let's just say I would've considered an audio system anyway, I'll make do with wireless headphones in the meanwhile.

I'm this close to buying a W1070. I even have an old screen I used to use for photo projections - it's from the '80s, so I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy a new one, but at least I'd be able to use the projector as soon as I unpack it.

I'd plan to mount it on the ceiling or on a wall directly above the couch, since I'm a total noob with projectors, is there any kind of resource with... dunno, the suggested distance range, the height I should mount it, and so on? I need to make sure my room has the correct measurements.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Projector Central has a lens calculator.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

jeaves posted:

This thread has been great and I hope that King Hotpants posts his megathread.

Sorry. I've been busy and I have to write the mega thread in my off hours so it has been slow going. I'm still planning on it, for whatever that is worth (not much). In the meantime I will keep answering questions.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
On the subject of projector fuzzyness, and I'm sure there are a ton of factors from projection in general to the optics as well, But there is a device that brings the clarity up that "sharpens" the image and I got one for my Mitsu HC9000. It works nothing like the detail enhancement built in to the projectors, turn that horrible poo poo off. I'm talking about the Darbee Darblet. It cost more than I would have wanted to, but I think it is worth it. There is a lot of snake oil bullshit out there and I think most goons are onto the bullshit, and this isn't bullshit. I stand behind this thing, it is quite amazing.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I bought a BenQ W1070.
The calculations seemed fine: the Projector Central calculator told me I need a 0.8 gain screen, I just got the cheapest screen I could find (less than 30 euro) to start, it's a 1.0 gain screen: I guess I'll be able to keep my projector in eco mode all the time?

Well, I'll test it tomorrow!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

On the subject of projector fuzzyness, and I'm sure there are a ton of factors from projection in general to the optics as well, But there is a device that brings the clarity up that "sharpens" the image and I got one for my Mitsu HC9000. It works nothing like the detail enhancement built in to the projectors, turn that horrible poo poo off. I'm talking about the Darbee Darblet. It cost more than I would have wanted to, but I think it is worth it. There is a lot of snake oil bullshit out there and I think most goons are onto the bullshit, and this isn't bullshit. I stand behind this thing, it is quite amazing.

When I had a projector I would use MPC to watch all movies, and used the built-in filters to increase the sharpness A LOT. Worked out really well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

wolfbiker posted:

When I had a projector I would use MPC to watch all movies, and used the built-in filters to increase the sharpness A LOT. Worked out really well.

The problem with built in filters is you get a lot of ghosted lines on high contrast transitions.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe, but I never noticed anything like that and I was pretty sensitive to stuff like that. I spent forever with reclock and the audio delay trying to get seamless 24p playback.

unfetteredsympathy
Apr 21, 2007
I imply, you infer
Anyone know anything about the quality of LG Electronics PG65U Ultra Portable ?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Char posted:

I bought a BenQ W1070.
The calculations seemed fine: the Projector Central calculator told me I need a 0.8 gain screen, I just got the cheapest screen I could find (less than 30 euro) to start, it's a 1.0 gain screen: I guess I'll be able to keep my projector in eco mode all the time?

Well, I'll test it tomorrow!

So what are your thoughts, specifically on the black levels? I've been on the fence about this one for a while, but don't want to jump on it knowing I'll be disappointed with dark grays rather than blacks.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Looking at buying a new house that has a projection set up in place. I've never looked into these before, so am totally new to this. I would mainly use it for gaming and movies. I always thought the picture quality of a projection was poor when compared to an HDTV, but I guess that may not be the case.

The room already has a painted wall (with frame) and a ceiling mounted shelf for the projector.
My set up would include output from a Yamaha RXV373 receiver (supports 3D), and an xbox 360/PS3/HD Cable box plugging into that receiver.

My main questions:
1. I don't believe the current set up includes HDMI wired from the home theater location (below the projection screen)to the Projector shelf (other side of the 19' room). Is HDMI pretty much needed for such a set up if I want optimal picture quality? The Epson 5020 has wireless HDMI (whatever that is).

2. Do the current gen projectors provide something similar to the tru-motion/soap opera effect that HDTV's currently provide? I saw this in a review of the Epson 5020: "Frame Interpolation mode (aka Soap Opera Effect)". Does the pic quality match/exceed newer HDTV's?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a controlled light environment watching movies, I think picture quality exceeds TV. The large screen size certain makes the experience much better. I have a 55" LG set upstairs living room, a 40" in the master bedroom and a 40" in our guest room. I honestly consider the 55" a small screen for morning news or for checking the weather channel. I don't even remember the 40" TV's exist. Basically its projector or nothing.

Under My Voodoo
Feb 17, 2004
Hoping you guys could help me decide on a new projector. I had a Mitsubishi hc1600 for several years that I loved but after several lamp changes and a broken color wheel I had to get rid of it. Basically I'm looking to add a projector for less than ~$400 to my living room that already has a 70" TV. My roommates and I are trying to get the ultimate 2 screen setup during football season. The 20' tall ceiling leaves room for a massive projected image.

Can anyone give me some insight on the Digital Galaxy 757? http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Projector-1280x768-Support-projector/dp/B00CPDSJEY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top It apparently has 2800 lumens (my hc1600 had 855) and 20000 hour average lamp life (~2000 for the hc1600). It has pretty good reviews on amazon so it sounds like a incredible deal for $285 shipped. If for some reason this projector is trash does anyone have a suggestion for the best 1280x768 HD projector that I can get for ~$400.00?

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Is King Hotpants still "working" on his new projector thread? If not it would probably be great for someone else to take the reins on the new thread.

2800 lumens and 20k hour lamp life from a $285 projector is way beyond too good to be true. I'm guessing the actual light output will be nowhere even near that and the lamp life will be less, too. Also the reviews are mostly suspicious as hell.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I bought this one Novemberish of last year.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-PA70G-Micro-Portable-Projector/dp/B008FJXIS4

700 Lumens, LED, and fairly small. I got it for $450ish so look around for a good price. There's a new upgraded model that has an ATSC tuner built in, but I don't know what the going rate is for it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

titaniumone posted:

Is King Hotpants still "working" on his new projector thread? If not it would probably be great for someone else to take the reins on the new thread.

2800 lumens and 20k hour lamp life from a $285 projector is way beyond too good to be true. I'm guessing the actual light output will be nowhere even near that and the lamp life will be less, too. Also the reviews are mostly suspicious as hell.

High lumens for cheap usually equals a very lovely contrast ratio.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

titaniumone posted:

Yeah, this doesn't pass the sniff test.

The only way you're getting 2800 lumens and 20,000 hours is with a hybrid LED/Laser light engine, and projectors using hybrid engines cost a lot more than this.

I can guarantee you won't get both 2800 lumens and 20,000 hours. I'd put money on it. I doubt it'll even meet one of those claims, let alone both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Looks like the Optima 131Xe is the new budget projector king, $800 on Amazon with a $50 amazon gift card, here's the AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king

It's basically just a HD25e with a black body and different name. People have even flashed the HD25e firmware on these guys.

W1070 is also a great contender right now but it's $900, has a shorter throw (good) but a bit more input lag (bad) for gaming.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 11, 2013

• Locked thread