Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hold off until led projectors with passive 3d glasses are a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just want to pitch in on the whole dedicated projector thread. Newegg has a Black Friday deal on the Acer H5360 for $350 that I snapped up. Was hoping to find more information here on projectors in general since it'll be arriving soon.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

hold off until led projectors with passive 3d glasses are a reasonable price.

Dont care about 3d at all really. Also LED projectors are a long long way off considering the first 1080p one is just now launching.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Does the Optoma ML500 also fall under the don't bother/waste of money category?

I'm not looking for perfection, since I'd just be projecting on a wall, so no fancy screen/seating/etc. I don't own a TV, and don't really have a ton of space for one, that and I plan on moving in the next 6months to year and would rather not deal with moving a large TV.

edit: For clarity, I rent a room, and was thinking of buying one to tide me over until I've got my own place and can get a nice setup where I don't have to worry about roommates.

edit2: LG PA70G? I might wait until frys has them on sale for under $500 again.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 26, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

Dont care about 3d at all really. Also LED projectors are a long long way off considering the first 1080p one is just now launching.

What I mean is, if you're thinking of taking a $2800 plunge, if you can wait a year or so for the new tech, you might be much more happy then buying mid level of the current tech.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 24, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'd definitely like to have a dedicated (and updated) projector thread, would be nice to have some quick recommendations at various price points. I'm guessing the 720p DLP projectors are probably the cheapest recommendations for any type of home theater?

Personally, I'm looking for an entry level projector, or will be at some point. I'm fine with 720p and would be used occasionally for TV/movies/xbox in my basement (dark). I don't need anything fancy, just want a pretty nice picture up on a big ol' screen. From reading this thread long ago I know the Optoma projectors were highly recommended, is the HD66 about the best bang for your buck entry level projector or are there other inexpensive maybe newer models that are better for a decent low end setup?

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005
I'm in the same market and the HD66 is looking like the best bet. They are 540 on amazon right now. I wish I had a chance to snap up the Acer H5360 bargains on Newegg on friday but my projector crapped outlast night, c'mon cyber monday throw me a bone!

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

eggyolk posted:

Just want to pitch in on the whole dedicated projector thread. Newegg has a Black Friday deal on the Acer H5360 for $350 that I snapped up. Was hoping to find more information here on projectors in general since it'll be arriving soon.
I have one of those and we've put around 1,700 hours on it since new. It's a very capable projector for the price but you must plan carefully where and how it is to be mounted because it has a very limited zoom range and no lens shift. Have a play around with the projector calculator here to get an idea of the kind of distance you'll need to attain the projection size you're after.

Edit: Mine sadly encountered DLP chip death after a year or so but TI, the chipmaker, guarantee them for five years and Acer performed a warranty repair with no complaints

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 26, 2012

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Does the Optoma ML500 also fall under the don't bother/waste of money category?

I'm not looking for perfection, since I'd just be projecting on a wall, so no fancy screen/seating/etc. I don't own a TV, and don't really have a ton of space for one, that and I plan on moving in the next 6months to year and would rather not deal with moving a large TV.

edit: For clarity, I rent a room, and was thinking of buying one to tide me over until I've got my own place and can get a nice setup where I don't have to worry about roommates.

LED projectors totally depend on how much light your room has because they don't have a lot of output. Basement with no windows? Might work pretty well. Living room with a ton of windows and no shades? LED is not for you.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Mechanism Eight posted:

I have one of those and we've put around 1,700 hours on it since new. It's a very capable projector for the price but you must plan carefully where and how it is to be mounted because it has a very limited zoom range and no lens shift. Have a play around with the projector calculator here to get an idea of the kind of distance you'll need to attain the projection size you're after.

Edit: Mine sadly encountered DLP chip death after a year or so but TI, the chipmaker, guarantee them for five years and Acer performed a warranty repair with no complaints

This seems to be extremely common for these projectors. Did the failure occur before or after the 1 year period? I've read numerous reviews stating the Acer will refuse to help anyone beyond the 1 year warranty, even if the chip itself should be covered by TI.

I am thinking of purchasing the HD6500, but I think I might opt for the extended 2 year warranty, which I normally do not do. Does anyone have any experience with working with Newegg's warranty provider?

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
I've owned the hD33 for about a month now. It's fantastic.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Namlemez posted:

LED projectors totally depend on how much light your room has because they don't have a lot of output. Basement with no windows? Might work pretty well. Living room with a ton of windows and no shades? LED is not for you.

I've got some windows, but due to where they face, and the angle of the sun and all that I think I'd be fine. Plus I only watch movies/tv at night. What I'm trying to say is I don't live in a basement haha.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Severed posted:

This seems to be extremely common for these projectors. Did the failure occur before or after the 1 year period? I've read numerous reviews stating the Acer will refuse to help anyone beyond the 1 year warranty, even if the chip itself should be covered by TI.
Huh, sucks if it's a common failure. You've made me go check and it seems I got my repair request in just two weeks before the first year was up so I can't speak for Acer's support past the 12 month point. This model also seems to suffer EDID corruption issues but when mine went it was relatively easy to re-flash from home.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Does anyone have experience with controlling a projector over a network? I have an Epson Powerlite 1940 and their Epson Monitor software running on a PC on our network. I'm trying to setup a timer to automate powering on/off the projector on a schedule, and it's flaky at best. Are there any third party tools out there that don't cost a fortune that do this sort of thing?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm having an issue with 3D content.

Setup is

XMBC or Boxee Box HDMI to Onkyo TH nr818 receiver HDMI to Optima HD33 projector

When I play a 3d bluray from my Sony player, it works fine. 3d image is perfect.

When I play 3d games from the Xbox, 3d also looks good.

I assume both scenarios above use sequencial type 3d?

If I try to watch any 3D bluray rip, in Half Side by Side, its unwatchable, and reversing the frames via the projector menu make it even worse.

Basically side by side makes everything out of focus, motion is really weird, and it feels like my eyes are crossed.

Also any scene cuts which aren't a fade I can see change from right eye to left eye.

Is this a common issue ? Am I missing a step via Boxee box and xbmc ?

With the Xbox and bluray player, the projector automatically changes to 3d mode.

With the SBS stuff, I go into the projector menu and choose SBS. It then goes to 3D mode.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

dreesemonkey posted:

I'd definitely like to have a dedicated (and updated) projector thread, would be nice to have some quick recommendations at various price points. I'm guessing the 720p DLP projectors are probably the cheapest recommendations for any type of home theater?

Bumping this 'cause I want to see this new thread.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

blugu64 posted:

Ended up getting the LG PA70G a month or so ago for $440~ from Frys, just projecting on a wall it owns. Diamond pixels, and it's fairly quiet. I haven't measured the screen size, but I'll probably get a real screen once I move to an apartment. I'm assuming LED projectors don't care about warm up/cool down cycles like blub projectors?

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

Ended up getting the LG PA70G a month or so ago for $440~ from Frys, just projecting on a wall it owns. Diamond pixels, and it's fairly quiet. I haven't measured the screen size, but I'll probably get a real screen once I move to an apartment. I'm assuming LED projectors don't care about warm up/cool down cycles like blub projectors?

They do not. LED projectors have fantastic life to them.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

coffeetable posted:

Bumping this 'cause I want to see this new thread.

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I've just been busy as poo poo and/or down with a virus for the past million years.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

King Hotpants posted:

I haven't forgotten about you guys, I've just been busy as poo poo and/or down with a virus for the past million years.

No hurry man, was just demonstrating that you'll have an audience for it.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
For those of you interested, I just listed my Epson 3010e (w/ wireless HDMI) on SA-Mart -- http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527221

Also looking forward to the new thread...

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
I'm in the market for a new video projector to play games and watch TV / Sports / Movies on. I normally play in a dark room, but do occasionally want to watch with the Lights / curtains open.
I hate 3D and can care less if that is a feature. I prefer quiet projectors as I hate the fan noise. Budget ~ $1100 or so.
Are there any LED projectors on the market that would work for me? Most of the ones that I've seen don't advertise any thing close to the lumens that a bulb projector will put out, and look like
toy / portable ones that you would take with you to a business meeting.

vvvv
Thanks for the feedback! That doea look like exactly what I was hoping for.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 12, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gegil posted:

I'm in the market for a new video projector to play games and watch TV / Sports / Movies on. I normally play in a dark room, but do occasionally want to watch with the Lights / curtains open.
I hate 3D and can care less if that is a feature. I prefer quiet projectors as I hate the fan noise. Budget ~ $1100 or so.
Are there any LED projectors on the market that would work for me? Most of the ones that I've seen don't advertise any thing close to the lumens that a bulb projector will put out, and look like
toy / portable ones that you would take with you to a business meeting.

The one above you is the best bang for the buck if you're not into 3d. It has the lowest lag for gaming and is generally thought of as having among the best in picture quality in it's price range.

Edit: Whoops, I meant the Epson 8350/8345 (Canadian)
Thats the best bang for the buck 2d projector.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 12, 2013

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
So is anyone a calibration expert? The colors on my Dell 1609WX have gotten spectacularly awful. I've seen a couple of guides but I'm just not sure which one do use. The tricky part is, I leave it over at my girlfriend's place and she's got a MacBook. Most of the calibration guides use Windows software. I assume an ICC file will work across platforms though.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

El_Matarife posted:

So is anyone a calibration expert? The colors on my Dell 1609WX have gotten spectacularly awful. I've seen a couple of guides but I'm just not sure which one do use. The tricky part is, I leave it over at my girlfriend's place and she's got a MacBook. Most of the calibration guides use Windows software. I assume an ICC file will work across platforms though.

When you say they've gotten awful: were they ever good? If so, what happened?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I'm not 100% sure. I think turning on eco mode really screwed it up, as well as me messing with the brightness. I've tried turning eco mode off and bringing the brightness up, but no amount of messing with the settings brings me even close to what I know the picture should look like from looking at the Macbook screen.

It's too dark / muddy in some parts, but too bright in some dark parts and it's got some serious color push going on. I think red / green but it's really hard to say.

Edit: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 is the guide I am thinking about using, but before I go drop $150-200 on an Eye-One I think I should seek some opinions from you guys.

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 16, 2013

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Is $300 worth it for an Optima h77 and a dalite 106” screen? I've never owned a projector before and this popped up on my local craigslist.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Since a constant height system is stupidly expensive are there any decent motorized black screens that can roll down to cover the top quarter of the projector screen when watching 2.35 material?

I would like to shift my image down and cover the remaining black at top as it's not a true black and would like to complete the experience.

Slight project update as I haven't gotten around to putting up any pics, I think it's been six months. I was going to hold off until I got a new couch and finished a few things, I've been real lazy.

The curtains can cover the width of the screen and walls.

Curtains drawn. Under the screen is a giant speaker grill that I framed out of 2x2 wood.

Projector and equipment in the back

Home made shelf for the projector

I still need to make mini curtains to cover the curtain tracks, new couch, and clean some things up.

I'm running the projector outside of the recommended distance and it still throws plenty of light, even in the day its watchable. My only issue is that I'm finding myself running the lamp at high mode more often than normal and the bulb only lasts 2,000 hours at that setting. I think the lamp is about 500 dollars. I'll probably end up ceiling mounting it.

The screen is from Visual Apex. It is an amazing screen. 500 dollars gets you 135 inches.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 10, 2013

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like I found something for my 16:9 to 2.35 masking project:

http://rollertrol.com/store/en/dc-motors/32-projector-screen-motor.html

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Anyone have experience buying refurbished products from Epson? In particular, I'm thinking of picking this up:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H373120-N

Also, I thought a certain someone was going to create a projector megathread... that sure would be nice. You know who you are.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Severed posted:

Anyone have experience buying refurbished products from Epson? In particular, I'm thinking of picking this up:

Also, I thought a certain someone was going to create a projector megathread... that sure would be nice. You know who you are.

:(

Still haven't forgotten. Sorry.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I know a little bit about projectors but not enough to know exactly what I need. I had a Panasonic AE3000U but sold it because I moved and didn't have the room. Now it's nearly two years later and I have room again and want a projector.

The main feature I'm looking for is something that will allow me to fill my 2.35 screen when I'm watching 2.35 movies and then zoom out when I'm watching 16:9 content. My AE3000U could do this and then save the process like a macro to the remote so I could switch between 2.35 and 16:9 by pushing one button. From what research I've done, there are only a few projectors that have this lens memory feature and they're quite expensive.

Lens memory aside, what feature(s) exactly should I be looking for? Any projector with power zoom and lens shift will allow me to do this from the remote, correct? And that is the easiest/cheapest route to switching between 2.35 and 16:9 content, right?

Thanks for any help.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

wolfbiker posted:

Lens memory aside, what feature(s) exactly should I be looking for? Any projector with power zoom and lens shift will allow me to do this from the remote, correct?

Yes. You need a zoom of at least 1.3:1, but that's more or less everything.

quote:

And that is the easiest/cheapest route to switching between 2.35 and 16:9 content, right?

Yes, it is. The alternatives are a masking system or an anamorphic lens, both of which cost money.

Honestly your best option is to pick up another Panasonic. Their Lens Memory system is better than anyone else's and compared to other HT projectors with power zoom they aren't that expensive. I think the AE4000 is still on sale and that'd be perfect for you.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Severed posted:

I recently bought the 8350 refurbished from Epson, and I couldn't be happier. This is my first projector, and I'm projecting onto a 100" Elite screen (just their basic model) from about 13' feet, using PC/PS3 as a source, and the quality is just terrific. Unnoticeable (to me) lag, with good brightness (I turn it way down), detail, black levels, etc. (although I'm not a fanatic like a lot of folks on the AVS forum when it comes to that stuff).

I did have to send my first projector from them back, though, due to a very obvious convergence problem, but that was a very easy process. The replacement they shipped was perfect, and got here fast.

I also looked at the slightly more expensive Benq W1070, which is DLP, newer, smaller, brighter, and has 3d. But the 8350's placement flexibility (CRAZY amounts of vertical and horizontal lens shift, plus more zoom and a throw distance that was better for my setup) ultimately won out. Plus, it seems like 3d is a bit of a passing fad, so that became less important to me.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of screens. What exactly is the difference between a budget screen like Visual Apex and something like an Elite screen? Assuming the same gain.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Well, my Elite screen ($80 or so bucks shipped from Amazon) is definitely budget, so I'm not super-qualified to answer this, but...

I think more expensive screens get you better features which may or may not matter to you. Like:

1. Tab-tensioned screens - I don't fully understand what this is, but it provides a more uniform screen, preventing wrinkles and stuff from the rolling up process.
2. Materials. In addition to gain, which can add brightness or improve black levels, there's gray screens, screens that can allow sound to pass through (to mount speakers behind), material that affects the visible viewing angle, etc.
3. If you choose to go the electric route, the quality of the motor.
4. Aspect ratio (anamorphic screens always seem to cost more), features like masking (to convert between 16:9 and 16:10).

It seems like if you're really interested in high-end screens, the best value proposition is to buy the material yourself and roll your own screen.

Me personally, I just bought the cheapest screen that had decent reviews. I don't know where the line between actual quality improvement and bullshit videophile imaginary jerk-off quality is, so that works for me. Somebody who knows more than me might be able to explain better.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I was talking more along the lines of a tensioned fixed frame, same gain, same color, non acoustic type setups.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Anyone have any experience building a screen using blackout cloth and want to share some thoughts/tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Anyone have any experience building a screen using blackout cloth and want to share some thoughts/tips?

It works but in my opinion the gain is far too low. I built one, spent hours sewing it together and it ended up not looking nearly as good as a $100 elite screen.

• Locked thread