Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Hey King Hotpaints (or really, anybody else who wants to chime in) If you had to pick something from this list, what would you go for a home theater (and I use this term loosely), room is dark with little to no natural light and primary use would be watching recorded TV shows and movies, nothing major and not my primary screen.

http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/DV...14.l1513&_pgn=1

I'm thinking either the SP5000,4800 or maybe the Dell 4800MP but my direction is to go towards the Infocus, is this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Because I'm an rear end in a top hat, I made a purchase without telling the wife, after a huge argument I now have an HC9000D, blew way the gently caress past my budget.

It really starts to show the limits of Blu-Ray on a 135" screen. But it is glorious, oh god is it nice.
The biggest issue I am having is taming reflections in some way that is wife friendly. I'd paint the walls black, but that will NEVER happen as long as a female is in the house.

The obvious solution is to buy a sound system that backs this up and a new HTPC and a 20TB NAS and *poof* no more wife... Paint the walls black, etc etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rJeYZkjmAk

Fatal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 10, 2012

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

HD20 is fine, and back off my vidyagames or I'll stop being an advice-bot. :mad:

Any thoughts on the GT720? I'm looking for a potentially cheap 3D (computer) gaming screen and I see them pop up on ebay/Amazon refurbed all the time for a pretty affordable price.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Any thoughts about the RED projectors that are supposed to be coming out this year? $10K is alot but for 4K and laser it doesn't seem so crazy especially when you compare it to any of the competitors.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

...until it actually comes out.

This seems to be the issue, almost a year in the making.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

jonathan posted:

Thats going to limit your choices of some really good projectors. Is there a way you can get around that ? The Epson 3850(3845 in Canada) and the Optoma HD20 can be had in your budget, are great for games due to low lag and get great reviews for image quality.

8350 and 8345

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

What was the model number? If it's a optimized for presentations, watching movies would not be a great experience just as you described. Presentation projectors are designed for static images in well lit areas, a very different setting than the average movie viewing.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Looks like the Optima 131Xe is the new budget projector king, $800 on Amazon with a $50 amazon gift card, here's the AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king

It's basically just a HD25e with a black body and different name. People have even flashed the HD25e firmware on these guys.

W1070 is also a great contender right now but it's $900, has a shorter throw (good) but a bit more input lag (bad) for gaming.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 11, 2013

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Fatal posted:

Looks like the Optima 131Xe is the new budget projector king, $800 on Amazon with a $50 amazon gift card, here's the AVS thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484644/optoma-hd131xe-hd-1080p-2500-ansi-lumens-3d-home-theater-projector-sub-800-new-budget-king

It's basically just a HD25e with a black body and different name. People have even flashed the HD25e firmware on these guys.

W1070 is also a great contender right now but it's $900, has a shorter throw (good) but a bit more input lag (bad) for gaming.

After about a month with this guy I'm going to try and return it. RBE is just too much for me, especially with video games, white cross hairs are the worst. Thinking of going towards the Epson 2000 since its of a similar class/price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

Depending on what kind of games you're playing, the Epson might not be great either. Input lag is really absurdly high on their 3D projectors.

The BenQ W1070 has a 6x color wheel which might help you out with rainbows. I don't know what the Optoma models have because Optoma chooses not to disclose that information. Which is crap, but whatever.

From what I've read switching it to fast processing brings input lag down to ~30ms from 100 in cinema mode which isn't too bad.

• Locked thread