Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
My G&L SB-2 is a similar color, looks great.

All in all, there's a few things to take care of on that bass but afterwards it'll be rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Deoxit will probably take care of a scratchy pot.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Stewmac does not sell single grub screws and I'm mad about it
:negative:

BDA posted:

Deoxit will probably take care of a scratchy pot.
Yeah I had assumed contact cleaner was safe for pots but I'm glad to have confirmation.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just ordered my first bass, a Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II. No idea when it'll get here as they're awaiting stock but I'm pretty excited. I like the Royal Blood sound, but I'm a few pedals and amps away from that yet, for now I mean to practice over Rocksmith.

Are headphone amplifiers worthwhile? Reviews always seem mixed but I've just moved into an apartment block and want to be considerate to my neighbors. I also already have a small 15W Marshall MG15CDR amp that I got with my first six-string, and I know the OP says not to play through a guitar amp but I also know Royal Blood do exactly that, is it their effects making that work out? Something to bear in mind for the future, for now practicing through Rocksmith should be fine until I want a proper bass amp.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There's no danger in playing through a guitar amp, but you might not get the bass response you want. The only dangerous thing like that is using a guitar cab with a bass amp.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just ordered my first bass, a Gretsch G2220 Electromatic Junior Jet Bass II. No idea when it'll get here as they're awaiting stock but I'm pretty excited. I like the Royal Blood sound, but I'm a few pedals and amps away from that yet, for now I mean to practice over Rocksmith.

Are headphone amplifiers worthwhile? Reviews always seem mixed but I've just moved into an apartment block and want to be considerate to my neighbors. I also already have a small 15W Marshall MG15CDR amp that I got with my first six-string, and I know the OP says not to play through a guitar amp but I also know Royal Blood do exactly that, is it their effects making that work out? Something to bear in mind for the future, for now practicing through Rocksmith should be fine until I want a proper bass amp.

Nice, I've got the same bass in Torino Green and I know there's at least a couple other Junior Jet goons in the thread. I've got flatwound strings on mine and they sound and feel great, also it weighs probably half as much as my Les Paul so that's nice. I think eventually I'm going to want to get a long scale P-bass with roundwounds for slapping and recording but I'll probably keep using the G2220 for practicing and playing live (if/when that ever happens).

I tried Rocksmith on the Xbox but I found the latency to be really aggravating. Maybe it's better on PC.

I don't know about headphone amps but I usually practice while my kids are sleeping in the next room. I plug into a Sansamp which plugs into an audio interface, then I either set that to direct monitoring or I play through a DAW on the computer. The best way to do this on a budget would be to skip the Sansamp, buy an interface like this then download a free DAW and amp simulator. If you have a Mac, GarageBand, otherwise I think Reaper is the recommended one?

The DAW setup is more advanced stuff but I'm mentioning it because it's my favorite way to learn new songs. I use Splitter.ai (which seems to be down at the moment but hopefully comes back up soon) to strip vocals, bass, etc into separate tracks, then load those into the DAW and listen critically to the bass line solo'd, then do the opposite and play over the track with the bass muted.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 6, 2021

DrChu
May 14, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

I know the OP says not to play through a guitar amp but I also know Royal Blood do exactly that, is it their effects making that work out? Something to bear in mind for the future, for now practicing through Rocksmith should be fine until I want a proper bass amp.
I'm pretty sure that guy uses the guitar amps for the octave up stuff and regular bass amplifiers for the bass parts.

Guitar amps work for bass when its high power going into big speakers. That little Marshall combo isn't going to cut it. However, it looks like it has a headphone jack, so try using that to practice with headphones instead. The EQ will be voiced to high for bass and there may be some low frequency rolloff in the circuit, but try running it flat and see how it sounds.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
With that said, I just ordered a bass and until I can figure out an amp, I assume I'm ok running it through my katana 100 at 5w bedroom volumes without significant risk?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

As long as you don't crank it and stop if you hear the speakers starting to fart out you should be ok.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Thumposaurus posted:

As long as you don't crank it and stop if you hear the speakers starting to fart out you should be ok.

This.

The only danger with using a guitar amp is that since it takes more power to amplify bass frequencies, it's easy to push them past their limits when using them with a bass.

Just take it easy and be aware it might not sound that great.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There is essentially no difference in output between a bass and a guitar, especially not one not completely overshadowed by the difference in pickup outputs, especially especially considering active pickups. It's the same induction going on and the same level of current between bass and guitar. There is no danger using a cranked guitar amp for your bass, except it will sound bad and your neighbours will hate you. Actually, there is probably less danger than using your guitar, since it's likely to have a bunch of boosting pedals that will increase current.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

The color is called "Midnight Wine"

Yes! I'm catching up on this thread, and that's the color. It is hard to photograph accurately--I always have to play with the color levels to get close--but it's easy to recognize to the initiated. I have a MIM Jazz 5-string (with 5 in-line mini tuners!) in Midnight Wine, and if I didn't love my Precision Special so much, I'd pick up a midnight wine P-bass too. I love that color.

So, the list of parts is coming together for my Bronco Bass. I've had the replacement bridge for a while, and now I've got a used DiMarzio Pro Track on the way. I was looking at Seymour Duncan Hot Rails neck pickups, but they're not in stock everywhere, and they were slightly more expensive. DiMarzio's site has some handy comparisons for how their SC-size, blade-pole humbuckers sound, tone-wise, and the Pro Track looked good. Lots of their pickups are either treble-heavy at the expense of bass and midrange, or the total opposite. Bass- and mid-heavy pickups sound like fun on a bass guitar, but I like versitility.

The DiMarzio comes with a nice red pickup cover, too, and my Bronco's color is Giant Cheap Red, so this'll be cool. I'm going to get some 500K pots and an tone cap. I have no idea what's in there now, but I'm partial to .047µF in my bass circuits for regular bass pickups, both P-style and J-style.

My only concern is the neck right now. I could use better tuners, but these stock ones are surprisingly stable. The new bridge is from a Mustang Bass, but the overall string spacing is a little wider, so I'm hoping it works fine. We'll see. It should work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My remaining tuners should be here tomorrow so I think I’ll be making the change and installing the xtender tuner as well. Excited to see if it makes my tuning a little more consistent, without all the weird back and forth jumping I seem to need to do with the stock squier pegs right now.

Anyone use an xtender tuner? Just curious what the process is for setting that up. Is it just a matter of tuning to E with the lever up, then adjusting the stop screw to get it into whatever tuning I am looking for? Presumably checking and re-checking the E along the way, etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is my bass too. I do most of my practice through a super cheap headphone amp, it was like $25 on amazon. Donner Basement. I also used to practice with a Vox amplug AC30 which is for guitar. Both sound good enough for practice.

I believe Royal Blood does a signal split and using octave shifting pedals so the bass frequencies go to a bass amp, and one octave up (plus one fifth up from that) go to the guitar amp.

I don't think I've touched my bass in like 3 weeks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I know people appreciate aged, gunked up bass strings but I'm assuming that does not extend to rust.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My favorite story along those lines is someone asked Bernard Edwards what kind of strings he played, and he said, "beats me, whatever comes on a music man from the factory."

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 8, 2021

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

I know people appreciate aged, gunked up bass strings but I'm assuming that does not extend to rust.

Rust severely weakens strings, so you should probably replace them. If they're rusty, I mean.

Also, rust is rough and makes your fingers smell like rust.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol I went to go practice and there was a baby spider who had moved into my headphones. I moved her to a plant outside and then did a short practice but lol I didn't realize I'd left that stuff alone long enough for spiders to think its free real estate.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

tarlibone posted:

Rust severely weakens strings, so you should probably replace them. If they're rusty, I mean.

Also, rust is rough and makes your fingers smell like rust.

That's what I figured. I'm gonna re-string it once some stewmac stuff shows up, I just gotta decide what kind. I like the sound of flatwounds but I think they might get lost in a mix for the music I like, esp on a p-bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

mango sentinel posted:

That's what I figured. I'm gonna re-string it once some stewmac stuff shows up, I just gotta decide what kind. I like the sound of flatwounds but I think they might get lost in a mix for the music I like, esp on a p-bass.

I feel like that's a misconception. Getting lost in the mix is more a result of poor EQ'ing. The notes won't seem as defined with flats, but that doesn't mean you'll be out of the mix completely. Also, P-basses sound amazing with flats.

You can always try some groundwound or slickround strings if you want. Basically roundwound strings with a bit of a sonic edge taken off.

Edit: I'm glad we're in string chat, it was a good reminder that I needed to swap out on my 4 string and 5 string laklands. DR Nickel Lo-Riders for life!

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 8, 2021

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Have you played DR Sunbeams? Classic Nickel tone (with nicer mids than other basic nickels like XL or slinky imo) but they're round core instead of hex core for a bit more pliant feel. I've got a set of MTD nickels and SIT power wounds to try as well, but I don't wanna burn through new strings with no gigs on the horizon.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Have you played DR Sunbeams? Classic Nickel tone (with nicer mids than other basic nickels like XL or slinky imo) but they're round core instead of hex core for a bit more pliant feel. I've got a set of MTD nickels and SIT power wounds to try as well, but I don't wanna burn through new strings with no gigs on the horizon.

I have! They sound good, but I really prefer higher tension strings, thus the Lo-Riders.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Scarf posted:

Edit: I'm glad we're in string chat, it was a good reminder that I needed to swap out on my 4 string and 5 string laklands. DR Nickel Lo-Riders for life!

i put a set of steel loriders on my thunderbird a while back and i never want to use any other string

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh poo poo I just put Labella Deep Talkin Tapes on my Squier and ..

I dunno, what’s the audio equivalent of

? Because that’s me right now.

I’m in love. Again.

E: Also bla bla I installed the xtend lever and upgraded my tuners but who cares because SEXY TAPES :monocle:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ASenileAnimal posted:

i put a set of steel loriders on my thunderbird a while back and i never want to use any other string

The steels sound great, they're just a tad too bright for me. The nickels are absolutely perfect to me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Martytoof posted:

Oh poo poo I just put Labella Deep Talkin Tapes on my Squier and ..

I dunno, what’s the audio equivalent of

? Because that’s me right now.

I’m in love. Again.

E: Also bla bla I installed the xtend lever and upgraded my tuners but who cares because SEXY TAPES :monocle:

Whites or blacks? I've got the blacks but they don't do white in double ball, unfortunately.

I'm also imagining you slowly turning your bass into a diy Zon Hyperbass with xtend tuners on all strings and the bridge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Blacks. I’ll snap a pic tomorrow but it looks sexy as fuuuck.

And maybe it’s just confirmation bias since I paid a bunch for ‘em, but the Hipshot tuners and xtender make tuning SO much nicer. The stock squier tuners were serviceable but even minute turns seemed to make them overshoot and undershoot noticeably. The new tuners are just butter smooth and I can ease into tune effortlessly.

They weren’t quite as drop-in as I’d like, as I did have to drill new holes, but once I got past the sketch of taking a drill to my guitar I was pretty fine with it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I love my Rumble 200 head. It’s more than I will ever need in my entire life but I got a great deal on it so I figured I’d just buy something I’m never going to have to replace. The 115 cab was an impulse hell this looks awesoooome and sounds sweet” purchase though :twisted:

I just bought a beater six string guitar too and it sounds remarkably good through the Rumble setup — I’m so happy I don’t necessarily need to go get a second amp.

We ran my girlfriends electric Uke through my rumble and distortion pedal :toot:

Also I picked up a kala U-bass after gleefully wandering around the store playing feel good inc on it. These things are a blast, play just like a bass guitar with a mega short scale with a slightly woodier tone. Sounds good on the amp and I love the big dumb rubber strings.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Found a youtube channel teaching doom metal (beholden to the riff). I can tune my bass down to C# with no problems, as I discovered to follow along with the Snowblind lesson. Once I've got that down, we'll see if I can tune all the way down to B with the same strings and learn some Monolord. lmao.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Check out Does It Doom? as well

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Does he have bass lessons on that channel? I do technically own a guitar but never feel like using it.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
There are a couple of bass lessons, but tbh I thought I was in the guitar thread :doh: Sorry!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hellblazer187 posted:

Found a youtube channel teaching doom metal (beholden to the riff). I can tune my bass down to C# with no problems, as I discovered to follow along with the Snowblind lesson. Once I've got that down, we'll see if I can tune all the way down to B with the same strings and learn some Monolord. lmao.

Update: Yeah my shortscale can tune down to B even with strings meant for standard. I have no idea how the tone would be with a real amp. Presumably not great, but this is good enough for me just learning whatever doom song I want. Also Rust is fairly easy to play and rocks.

I mean I know I was like "I'm gonna do a course and really learn the instrument!" but maybe I should just pull up tabs and youtube videos and rock out. Cause whatever? That's the most fun thing to do.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Solumin posted:

I think I'll pick up one of these lesson plans. My teacher is one of those who helps you learn songs, which is cool but I need more structure and I'd like to learn actual technique. So it's time to move on from him, and these lessons y'all are doing are a good thing to try until I find a better teacher.

Hopefully by posting about it I'll actually do it.

So I finally started doing this back around Christmas. It's been pretty fun so far! I didn't start as an absolute beginner so the early lessons were a bit boring, but that didn't last too long. He actually explains chord progressions and uses some theory when discussing the songs he's teaching, which I really appreciate.

(I have a couple minor criticisms but they aren't really relevant.)

Right now I'm on module 13, which is all about slapping, and... I kind of hate it? Maybe it's because this is the first thing I've really struggled with since picking up bass, and possibly that's compounded by being exposed to so many great bassists who do incredible things with slapping, but it's really frustrating right now. I've got slapping the E string more or less down, but I can't figure out how to mute when slapping the other strings.

My muting might need work in general -- I got one of the Focusrite interfaces, and there's way more string noise than I expected. :sweatdrop:

Any tips?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Update: Yeah my shortscale can tune down to B even with strings meant for standard. I have no idea how the tone would be with a real amp. Presumably not great, but this is good enough for me just learning whatever doom song I want. Also Rust is fairly easy to play and rocks.

How floppy is that string now?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

How floppy is that string now?

Pretty floppy! It becomes too floppy to actually produce a sound right around G#. Lol.

Edit: I use flat wound, not sure if that affects the tension. I remember when I switched to flat wound it felt higher tension in standard tuning. Anyways its kinda fun to play spaghetti strings.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 10, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm subscribed to his channel purely to watch his intros. I hope you're slaying all the mighty riffs.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Pretty floppy! It becomes too floppy to actually produce a sound right around G#. Lol.

Edit: I use flat wound, not sure if that affects the tension. I remember when I switched to flat wound it felt higher tension in standard tuning. Anyways its kinda fun to play spaghetti strings.

https://youtu.be/AdUjltkWWzU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Someone say spaghetti strings?!

https://youtu.be/Aohs83NLgVc

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Scarf posted:

Someone say spaghetti strings?!

https://youtu.be/Aohs83NLgVc

Watching Fieldy go pure percussion on the bass to the point of muscling out the drums is really fascinating, especially after listening to Thundercat talk about how bass is a bridge between the rhythmic and melodic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have a focusrite solo, what sort of software should I use if I want to do a bass cover video? I know it's not particularly impressive to cover something I didn't transcribe but, eh, I don't have much else going on. I know I could record the audio in Reaper and then apply VST effects to the bass input... but what would I use to record video and how would I sync the video to the audio? I