Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Since we're doing tech talk...

I got a brubaker last year which I love. 5 string (thanks, thread).

It came with a very high action, so I lowered the saddle posts and it played like a dream. But now I'm definitely noticing that the D string in some spots around the 8-11th fret are not intonated correctly, and I also get some weird stuff on the G string. It seems to vibrate the A string pretty sympathetically, additionally the G string always sounds like it's got a chorus effect on it even tho there isn't one.

Would these be tackleable problems having to do with watching vids on intonation, saddle post adjustment and truss rod stuff? Or best to take it in somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Basic Poster posted:

Since we're doing tech talk...

I got a brubaker last year which I love. 5 string (thanks, thread).

It came with a very high action, so I lowered the saddle posts and it played like a dream. But now I'm definitely noticing that the D string in some spots around the 8-11th fret are not intonated correctly, and I also get some weird stuff on the G string. It seems to vibrate the A string pretty sympathetically, additionally the G string always sounds like it's got a chorus effect on it even tho there isn't one.

Would these be tackleable problems having to do with watching vids on intonation, saddle post adjustment and truss rod stuff? Or best to take it in somewhere?

Have you changed the strings? The chorus effect on the G string sounds to me like the string possibly was twisted around when being strung, or it could be just a bad set.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

Basic Poster posted:

the D string in some spots around the 8-11th fret are not intonated correctly

What does this mean? Like the 7th fret is perfectly on pitch, the 9th fret is sharp/flat, and the 13th fret is perfectly on pitch? And only on the D string?

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Noise Machine posted:

Have you changed the strings? The chorus effect on the G string sounds to me like the string possibly was twisted around when being strung, or it could be just a bad set.

Original strings. What they come with, which are very good strings. But yeah, put on the pegs at build time (bought new) at brubaker.

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

What does this mean? Like the 7th fret is perfectly on pitch, the 9th fret is sharp/flat, and the 13th fret is perfectly on pitch? And only on the D string?

Yes like that.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
That's really odd with the intonation. It sounds like either they put some of the frets in the wrong place, which is highly unlikely, or you're expecting perfection from a device that is inherently imperfect. Part of the charm with electric guitars and basses is that they're kinda crude, and the crudeness makes the sounds feel organic. Embrace the imperfection.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm almost wondering if that's a quirk caused by some mis-manufactured strings? I could see if they had a void in the wrap or different metal density or something around there that you'd see region-specific intonation problems.

Quick test would be to try to restring it with another string in that position (i realize the nut slot may be different, don't like file it out or anything) and see if the problem follows.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just checked my invoice I was wrong. He charged 175 to reseat the neck, the bridge, new pots, and rewire everything so he wasn’t robbing me.

I’ll mess around with it a bit later tonight and see if I can’t get it a little better by just screwing with the bridge and truss rod. As I said before worst case is I take it to him anyway.

Here’s the family pic.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 6, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
drat is that a neck pocket or a neck "wile e. coyote rear end cliff"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

muike posted:

drat is that a neck pocket or a neck "wile e. coyote rear end cliff"

Lol it’s a neck pocket. The entire top of it is basically a shell around a piece of African mahogany (sapele) that is glued together and is strong as poo poo. The cherry, being end grain, would have had issues with warping once the strings were tightened.

I posted this earlier today but you can see how it was put together in this. (And also why the luthier had so much work to do)

https://imgur.com/gallery/mP8Pibz

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 7, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I love your insanely weird instrument. Very cool photo gallery!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Want to gather a bunch of my fellow villagers to storm your keep with torches to stop you from violating conventions known to man and bassists. Is that an SG body?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Shageletic posted:

Want to gather a bunch of my fellow villagers to storm your keep with torches to stop you from violating conventions known to man and bassists. Is that an SG body?

Yep. It's always been my favorite guitar style, so I just stole the body design.
My fuckery with the neck actually fixed the neck dive issue that actual sg's have though, there's none at all.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 7, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Awesome dude. I love SGs as well. Keep being the mad scientist of bassists!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

how bad is Squier Affinity these days? or - help me dig myself out of this hole I fell into -

I have a Squier fretless cv that I picked up a year and change ago and I've been struggling to get it to play right. Been a great learning experience from how to insulate a cavity to how to spend 6 months turning the truss rod the wrong way and wondering why nothing is happening (its been reversed) but the setup just has never clicked. Tried a new bridge, all sorts of shim positions, etc. Haven't been able to get a pro set up just cause of capacity issues in town and I'm also worried they're gonna find something that costs a bunch to fix.

Basically, the action is too high or I lose the bottom 7-8 frets on all 4 strings because the strings bottom out at the end of the neck. At this point I think its either the nut or the neck or the neck pocket and all three things are beyond my ability to hack. (On a side note, does anyone have any sort of rule of thumb stuff for fretless basses like that business card between the fret and string thing? The advice I've always gotten is "it's set up right if it feels right" but that has been both obvious and extremely unhelpful, to the point it makes me think the bass I'm working on is just hosed).

I really want a pbass anyway. So this has me thinking about either grabbing an affinity and swapping necks, giving me a fretted frankenCV that plays okay and a fretless frankenP that I don't feel terrible about just hacking through. But am I just gonna hate both basses? Or trying to sell the jazz bass and getting a p instead, but I'm honestly not sure if its in condition I feel okay passing to someone?

I do have another bass to play, so having one on the bench forever isn't the end of the world.

What would you do, bass thread?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I think the affinity line is still regarded as not great. CV is pretty great, though nowadays. At least my jazz and precision are.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Affinity were kinda poo poo, then they cancelled the Vintage Modified line and seemingly moved over some of the VM tooling to the Affinity line. They're still below CV models in terms of hardware, QC, etc. but they're better than the Affinity models of 3-4 years ago

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The order I place in October finally arrived! New Bass Dayyeeeeeeeee! Not sure if table breaking is still a thing in 2022, but here's some timgs.

Ibanez SR1600B in Caribbean Shoreline Flat. I'm very smitten, time to play around a bit and decide if I want to swap on the set of tapewounds I have sitting here. FINALLY!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
rad

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Are Kala ubasses worth the price difference over cheaper brands? I'm in the UK so a Rondo isn't an option, I've been thinking of getting their ebony fretless. I've got a cheapo already and I'd love a ubass with some actual qc, a truss rod and a decent preamp

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Look at those pickups. The bass tone must be deep as hell

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Isnak posted:

Are Kala ubasses worth the price difference over cheaper brands? I'm in the UK so a Rondo isn't an option, I've been thinking of getting their ebony fretless. I've got a cheapo already and I'd love a ubass with some actual qc, a truss rod and a decent preamp

I don't have a cheapo to compare it to but I do have a Kala Scout U-bass and it's not too bad with the Kala flatwound strings. My only gripes with it are probably the same ones you would find with a regular acoustic-electric bass guitar - you need an amp if you want other people to be able to hear it, the piezo pickup doesn't give the best consistent tone between the strings (the G string is noticeably quieter on mine), and feedback can be an issue if other instruments are amp'd as well. Otherwise it's at about the same level of quality as my 2 other Kala ukuleles which are both very good for the money. The preamp is pretty good also and it has a built-in tuner that works fine. I would say if you're only using them as a 'couch composer' type of instrument then you might be better off with the cheapo U-bass, but if you're going to do some outdoor acoustic stuff and you want that double bass-like tone then it's probably worth it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Ibanez SR1600B in Caribbean Shoreline Flat. I'm very smitten, time to play around a bit and decide if I want to swap on the set of tapewounds I have sitting here. FINALLY!

ngl I've been giving that bass long looks in the catalogs, ace pick dude :five:

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!

I can fix balance between strings, either by modifying or splitting the saddle. I actually like the rubber strings, too. As long as it's built well and the hardware is decent. The A tuning machine on my cheapy Laka literally just crapped out and seized. I'm probably going to bin it, awful design/build from the early days of ubass copies.

Having something nice in that kinda format would be good. I'm going to mostly be using it for sketch recording, maybe some open mic nights with friends (where it'll be going to a PA). I got a short scale violin bass, but being able to get smaller, fretless and thumpier is attractive. I've also been eyeing up the Gold Tone super shortscale solid bodies, they seem cool, less beholden to ukulele aesthetics and dimensions. They are at the higher end of what I want to pay and won't be in stock anywhere for months, though.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

It's definitely solid and thumpy. The rubber strings do have a cool and unique tone, I only prefer the flatwounds because they don't compress when you slide and I just have a tendency to put them on every instrument I can.

They are perfect for sketch recording. Here is an example of one of mine with a Kala U Bass (and I think I actually still had the rubber strings when I recorded this)
https://soundcloud.com/user-593859898/quiet-time

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Ooo congrats! My new bass order came in last week too, but it has been nothing but a crushing disappointment.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What was it?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Shageletic posted:

What was it?

Jack Casady signature epiphone, gold top. With the fretboard curving upwards at the body. I haven't gotten a friendly follow up call from my sweetwater rep yet, so I think I'll call today and ask wtf.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

Ooo congrats! My new bass order came in last week too, but it has been nothing but a crushing disappointment.

Sorry to hear that :( hopefully Sweetwater can sort you out to some degree. And thanks for the kind words folks! This thing sounds and plays like a dream. The biggest thing I've noticed thus far, and this is a first for any of my stringed instruments.. it actually smells like wood, and I catch a whiff every now and again while playing! Real talk though, the pickups are so clean, I really thought that instrument construction was whatever, dealing with sustain and things but holy poo poo does a note ring out on this bass. WAY more than anything I've ever played. I've yet to mess with the electronics too much, been playing it in passive mode as it just sounds so good without any of the bells or whistles.

ewe2 posted:

ngl I've been giving that bass long looks in the catalogs, ace pick dude :five:

I honestly landed here because the models I was originally looking at (in the $600-1k USDprice range) had like a 10 month lead time, this was the soonest available so I sprung for it and I don't regret it one bit. It would have been sooner but I had the purple finish ordered first, which they discontinued halfway through the waiting period so I had to start over with this finish, which is just as good imo.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thus far the plan is if the local luthier can't sort it out with up to $100 of setup work (that can be comped by sweetwater), I'll be shipping it back and getting another Jack Casady. Nothing happens until early May, when both the luthier has time to work on it and sweetwater expects more stock of this model to come in. I just wanted a hollow body bass that wasn't a Hofner clone! And full scale too! At least the much vaunted sweetwater customer service is working.

In happier news I was able to tame the high action on my blue jazz bass by myself, so woo? That's playing much nicer now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Jack Casady signature epiphone, gold top. With the fretboard curving upwards at the body. I haven't gotten a friendly follow up call from my sweetwater rep yet, so I think I'll call today and ask wtf.

That sucks, sorry.

I'm trying to offload my P7 Marcus Miller Bass so I can try to get a fretless Precision or something. I'm surprised sweetwater hosed it up, they're usually great. I'll keep that in mind.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Shageletic posted:

That sucks, sorry.

I'm trying to offload my P7 Marcus Miller Bass so I can try to get a fretless Precision or something. I'm surprised sweetwater hosed it up, they're usually great. I'll keep that in mind.

My secret suspicion is the inspection was rushed a little, because I got on the order list months ago, and it kept getting delayed from the factory and they wanted to get it out to me asap. Or gibson/epiphone sucks: this is the only chinese made bass I have, and the second china made instrument I have overall. But the other chinese guitar I got is a perfectly fine instrument from Blueridge who care about QC evidently.

The three other guitars and basses I've bought from sweetwater were fine, all they needed was normal and easy setup tweaks. Their 55 point inspection is just that, an inspection, not a setup but idk how they missed this one either.

Edit: Like my luthier was legit shocked when I told him the bass was fresh from sweetwater, because they usually do a better job inspecting.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 14, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

That sucks, sorry.

Any interest in trading for an Ibanez Gary Willis 5st fretless?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Any interest in trading for an Ibanez Gary Willis 5st fretless?

Maybe...only thing stopping me would be I had my heart set on a passive Precision that cuts through the mix, and how loving annoying packaging and sending basses thru the mail are. Let me think about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sure, it's not going anywhere. It's the black color and has a set of flats and new tapes if that helps sway. Just reply here or pm me if you decide to take it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do you guys know of any good 35" scale 4 strings in the more budget price range?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Got my hands on a new Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas JJ V at guitar center today. I was really impressed; I had heard a lot of folks say the preamp was pretty lacking, but I found it to be really well-voiced. Warm but with plenty of definition.

The neck felt really good, reminded me of my Lakland 55-02, but a little more of a flat-n-wide kind of profile. The finish on the neck was great, more of a satin finish, again a lot like a Lakland.

Really the only thing I didn't like was the gold hardware. But I know some finishes have chrome.

I may try and pick one of these up in the future.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Sold the fretless and traded my Sub5 for an 80s MIK Aria Pro II. Now instead of 2 basses I like in theory but don't enjoy playing much I have one thats underwhelming on paper that I have a hard time putting down. I thought I wanted a pbass but this is close enough (its PJ and styled different, much sleeker bare wood). Also the headstock from the Samick factory matches my Hohner tele

Getting into late 80s/early 90s MIK I guess

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

muike posted:

Do you guys know of any good 35" scale 4 strings in the more budget price range?

I don't off the top of my head, but Sam Ash is having a pretty big sale currently, and I'm not sure if it's all locations, but the store near me is offering a trade incentive which is 15% off of whatever item you trade up to. I'm assuming you can't just bring in a pedal or something to get that deal, but who knows.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

Getting into late 80s/early 90s MIK I guess

My tried and true is still my late 80s/early 90s Korean Spector. I've had lots of gear changes over the years, but that one... Nothing sounds or feels like it. I found a sticker in the case from a donut shop we gigged at in 1994!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
what is meant by the following on a rhythm/lead sheet for a piece of music i'm supposed to learn: "Bass - soft upper range diamonds." ?