Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
when shopping for bass amps, I notice the vast majority of them are solid state. I assume that if tube amps made as much a difference in bass as they do guitars, then they would have more, but maybe I'm wrong. Any preference here in the bass thread regarding tube amps or solid state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm going to buy a bass on the 27th from Rondo, and it doesn't come with a thumbrest. I guess that's normal, but the only bass I've ever played is my cousin's, and it does have a thumbrest. Should I get one, or is it frowned upon?

If it's only a matter of preference, does anybody have an idea of where I can get one for cheap? Allparts has one for $2.50, but I'm not paying $7 shipping for a part that weighs a gram or so.

EDIT: Speaking of flatwounds, where can I get a 6-string set of flatwounds? Am I doomed to buying a 5 string set and adding an individual string from juststrings?

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 11, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Schatten posted:

Also, are you sure you need a six string? They can be heavy and can kill your back if you don't have the proper straps.

Also, flatwounds, while great sounding, don't work on every bass out there IMO. They are also strung a little tighter due to how they are built. The tension will be _t_i_g_h_t_. I'd suggest sticking with non-flatwounds for a while.

I'm not exactly going to be gigging anytime soon, and I mostly only play sitting down anyway. I tried out a 6 string at guitar center, and it felt fine to me. I wanted flatwounds because I'm used to them on Guitar.

Scarf posted:

Yeah, thumbrests aren't really necessary. If you're new to bass and not set in your ways just yet, I'd highly recommend looking into learning to float your thumb. Aside from the benefits of being able to mute more easily, I find it has helped decrease my hand fatigue by about 10-fold; I'm not stretching across my strings when I move up to the D and G. And good lord, definitely with a 6-string this would be a MUST in my opinion.

As for the strings, I'd email JustStrings about it. They have a great customer service department. If they don't have any 6-string sets, I'm sure they could tell you where to look or put you in contact with a manufacturer.

I'll hold out on the thumbrest, and give that technique a try. And I'll definitely shoot them an email.

I really don't see the big deal about 6 strings...I've played a few of them at Guitar Center for a couple of hours at a time, and I feel very comfortable and natural with them, and I appreciate the range. To be honest, I'm buying this bass because I'm sick of my cousin's. It was made of Mesquite wood by some backwoods redneck in the 80s, the string spacing is off, it smells like cat piss, and we don't have a cat. When I play it, I find myself trying to get to notes uncomfortably because there's no string on top of the G. When I play the 6 string, I feel...satisfied. Not in a gross way, but just satisfied because I can ascend to a note that I feel is appropriate to start descending at. And if I want to go to a lower note, I can do so comfortably and without detuning. Maybe it's just personal preference...

EDIT: Found some!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
What's the best speaker size to get in a bass cab, and are neodymium drivers better than normal ones? Looking at a Carvin B118N, but I can't find any opinions on 18" speakers...

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Demolisher posted:

ahhh I hate 18's, very little mid range and no highs. Best bet would be a 15 with a mid range driver.

Looks like Carvin only sells a 1x15" neodymium cab...The 4x10" is $20 cheaper, though, so I might just go with that, and get the 1x15" later...

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Demolisher posted:

Feel like getting diy with it? talkbass have superb plans for cabs...

Not really. I'd like to just buy one to have so that if I wanted to build one later and hosed it up, I'd at least have one. I think I'm going for the 4x10.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

TheForgotton posted:

I'm very tempted to pick up this six-string fretless from Rondo. Has anyone here had any experience with Brice basses?

I've played several and have nothing but good things to say about them. You'll probably want to replace the pickups.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Basic Beater posted:

Where/how do you guys recommend finding a teacher/instructor?

Your local music store/music playing friends.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Hi, bass thread! I have this bass. It sounds like this. (Clip is Amplitube 3 GK model)

I'm not sure if I should be happy with the tone or not. In the track, I play the same thing (very roughly) three times. The first run through is with the neck pickup, then neck and bridge, and then bridge only. The only thing I've done to the bass is removed the EQ. I never liked it. I run most of my instruments knob-free, as in, I remove the volume and tone knobs, and just run the pickups straight. The only way to change the way the instrument sounds from the instrument is to change which pickup is sent to the jack. The volume knob is still on the bass, and the pickups are selected through a blend knob with detent.

I guess my questions are:

A) does my bass sound alright? I play mostly metal, but I'd like the bass to be a jack of all trades if possible.

B) if it sounds like poo poo, what should I buy to replace it? The only 6-string pickups I could find that would fit (Nordstrand :argh: ) were these Bartolinis and the Lace Bass Bar. I'd like to run the pickups sans EQ or preamp, if possible, which makes me think the Bass Bar is my only (affordable) hope.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Demon Seed posted:

The real question is.... do YOU think your bass sounds alright (for what you intend to use it for)? Obviously you don't or you wouldn't have posted this. I don't want to be a dick, but why on earth would you remove your EQ if you weren't satisfied with the tone you got without one, with your only tone tweaking capabilities being the pickup selection? The type of players that remove their instruments on board EQ stuff are the type that have their ideal tone and can get it without one, and don't need the liability of more electronic gizmos in their instrument that could fail, or maybe they just want a simpler instrument/combination of all that.

The thing is, I think it sounds fine, but I don't know what to listen for in bass. I do think that it lacks a little bit of clarity, but I'm not sure if it has any less clarity than another bass would. I removed the EQ after playing around with it and finding that it didn't add anything beneficial to the sound. I don't think the bass needs any more or less bass mids or treble. Clarity is really my only complaint.

Demon Seed posted:

Theres tons of different bass tones in metal, that serve their bands in different ways. Are you currently in a band? Do you have an idea of how you want every instrument in this metal band to sound? Which instrument will be the most prominent? If its guitar then maybe you want a little more bass in your tone so it blends in with the guitar and adds some "heavyness" to it. Some metal bassists just do that, and don't really try to make their bass cut threw the mix to where you can hear each individual note clearly. Obviously the more effort, time, and thought you put into this, the happier you will be with the results.

I see your point. The band that I admire the most, sound-wise, is Dream Theater, and on their second-to-last album, they released the individual instrument tracks. I listened to the bass ones, and I honestly thought that John Myung's tone was crap. Really distorted, and kind of dull.

Scarf posted:

It's really hard to tell without hearing it in a mix, playing an actual song. Does the tone sound alright solo? Sure, it's nice and clean, crisp defined notes, seems like a pretty flat EQ (maybe a little scooped int he mids, but that could just be my speakers/headphones).

But the real test is how it sounds when you're playing with a full band. You want to be sure it cuts through and fits the overall sound of the band/songs you're playing.

I'd be glad to play along with a backing track or something, if someone could point one out to me and it wasn't something ridiculously hard to play. :) If that's about as clear as a bass tone can generally get, I'm fine. I'm probably just comparing my bass tone to my guitar tone, which I like to be much clearer.

I forgot to mention that the clip I posted is about as compressed as Amplitube will allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Speaking of John Myung, god of gods, here's a cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wYu4b5cII8