Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
So, I'm looking for a budget priced 4-stringer to accompany my 5-string Warwick Thumb Bolt-On. The thing is, I won one design contest and will receive a couple of hundred dollars as a gift card to a webstore so my choices are kind of limited on this purchase. The big problem is that the basses I found in my local stores to try out weren't either available online or didn't appeal to me feel wise or visually.

Anyways, I've heard great things about these two Squier basses:

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass:

Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe IV:

I would've bought the Vintage Modified one in a heart beat but I've heard almost everyone complain about the factory set-up being lovely with too high action. A low and comfortable action is one of the main things I'm looking for in my new bass in addition to a neck with a finish that allows fast movement up and down. So, any of you guys familiar with these two models? Can the Vintage Modified's factory set-up be fixed easily (I know only how to lower the action but apparently that easily causes heavy fret buzz)? Or is Jazz Bass Deluxe an awesome instrument out of the box?

It sucks that I have to shop blind even though I'm getting the bass for almost free. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Isnak posted:

The Vintage Modified is great value for money, the ones I've seen in shops have pretty good fretwork and the block inlays are neat, and the pickups have tons of passive snarl. Plus I'm a sucker for maple boards and natural finishes. The factory set up is easy enough to change, you can probably get action height suggestions from talkbass if you're worried about what would suit you best.

Scarf posted:

Yeah, don't fret (heh.) over the factory setup. Usually it's the result of incompetent shop employees. It can be changed quite easily in your own hands or in the hands of a professional at a shop.

Both are nice basses, but I didn't really care too much for the Deluxe IV. It's an active bass, and the preamp really isn't all that great (but you really can't expect too much considering its price-point). The VM is the way to go, imo.

Thanks a ton! I've also leaned a bit more towards VM so that may well be my choice.

betterinsodapop posted:

Do you want passive or active pickups?
The vintage modified is passive; the deluxe IV is active.

I was aware of this. This time around (since I'm mostly still learning stuff) I'm looking more for playability than sound. I guess I don't have an exact preference yet because of my inexperience with different set-ups. V:shobon:V I've heard passive dances around the mid-range frequencies while active reaches both low and high ends better.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Another small question: I think I have developed a mediocre sense of rhythm in my head but whenever I try to tap my right or left leg to a rhythm where there's above basic level syncopation, my leg twitches around like a retard in a washing machine and I'd be better off not tapping at all. I've noticed that it's gotten a bit better with practice but I still can't rely on my leg almost at all. It feels like my legs and hands are cross-wired so that they can't have their independent assignments. :(

I'm not a drummer but I can play some basic beats and run into the same problem there but in this case, the bass drum forces me to hit a hi-hat on my right hand if the hi-hat hits are frequent and the bass drums are half-syncopated.

Kind of hard to explain my problem without correct terminology in English.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Big Face posted:

I had this when starting but I was right handed and tapping my right foot. I switched to my left foot and it was A LOT easier and came very naturally. Talked to another (left handed) friend who had this problem and he started doing what I did and said it also became easier. I practiced by sitting cross-legged and contracting my left knee with the beat and slowly progressing to standing and it came naturally.

And it is hard to extrapolate this into English lol.

I think my left leg is better at this too, yeah. Guess it's just practice, practice then.

Also noticed there was no actual question in my post. :downs:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass for a bargain at a local store on Friday (thanks to all who suggested it!) and I really love it. Great instrument for such a low price!

Anyways, I'm curious what would be the easiest and most comfortable way to record basslines on top of existing songs so that you also hear what you're playing. I'm mainly looking for ways to route both the background track and the bass signal to headphones. I haven't had time to test if I can get my Hoontech ST Audio DSP24 Value soundcard to repeat both the line in signal and the computer's own sounds so I my problem may be already solved but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Also, what's the best thread for asking questions about soundcard tech? The Hoontech I mentioned is good for recording but for some reason, the 3,5 mm output for speakers gives out a really thin sound with only some high and middle frequencies omitting bass almost totally. Currently I have to use my Soundblaster to give out sounds and record with Hoontech. :(

Edit: Got it all to work.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 13, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I've been trying to find a good sourcebook for both learning the theory/structure behind playing chords on bass (as in triads) and tying chord progressions together in an improvised manner when backing other players. I'm currently slogging through Gary Willis' Fingerboard Harmony for Bass but it's a bit too jazz oriented and doesn't really put the acquired knowledge to use (it's only about walking up and down while using passing tones).

I also haven't read a thing about modes yet so I got to get into that too. It's just hard to find a book that goes beyond the most basic things. I was about to order Friedland's Bass Method but thankfully found it at a local library and noticed that only the last few pages were barely useful to me. That EADG 4 book looks interesting but I can't find a good online retailer for it in Europe. :(

EDIT: Just noticed that I, again, left out the actual question. So, are there any good books that include both basic and in-depth bass theory and put that theory into use with examples? I'd love to buy a theory textbook that I could go back to time and time again if I've forgotten something or want to broaden my knowledge. Currently my understanding of theory is just bits here and there without a solid and comprehensive structure. I want to be able to do more than just play root, third, fifth and seventh. :saddowns:

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 14, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

I've been trying to find a good sourcebook for both learning the theory/structure behind playing chords on bass (as in triads) and tying chord progressions together in an improvised manner when backing other players. I'm currently slogging through Gary Willis' Fingerboard Harmony for Bass but it's a bit too jazz oriented and doesn't really put the acquired knowledge to use (it's only about walking up and down while using passing tones).

I also haven't read a thing about modes yet so I got to get into that too. It's just hard to find a book that goes beyond the most basic things. I was about to order Friedland's Bass Method but thankfully found it at a local library and noticed that only the last few pages were barely useful to me. That EADG 4 book looks interesting but I can't find a good online retailer for it in Europe. :(

EDIT: Just noticed that I, again, left out the actual question. So, are there any good books that include both basic and in-depth bass theory and put that theory into use with examples? I'd love to buy a theory textbook that I could go back to time and time again if I've forgotten something or want to broaden my knowledge. Currently my understanding of theory is just bits here and there without a solid and comprehensive structure. I want to be able to do more than just play root, third, fifth and seventh. :saddowns:

To answer my own question, I picked Friedland's Building Walking Bass Lines from the library and it seems to be just the thing I needed. I've only skimmed through it and read the first few pages but it seems really promising. I also found another book by him, Expanding Walking Bass Lines, which digs deeper into the subject. Thinking of buying both soon so that I don't have to worry about returning them. :)

Anyone gone through one of these? What did you think about them?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

SirSlarty posted:

Agree. It helps you learn how any chord progression can fit together.

Also, I refer to this post constantly.

Thanks! Ordered Friedland's book yesterday. :)

I wish there was some general thread for posting your own song transcriptions (that can't be found online yet) but since I don't want to clutter ML nor devise a good OP, I'll post mine here. I didn't include the amount of measures almost at all since the song structure is easy to grasp just by listening to it. My main reason for posting is if anyone could check if the transcription is anywhere near the actual song. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXeNXKODwg

code:
Monsters by Blue Φyster Cult
from the album Cultφsaurus Erectus

~ = Let the note ring
b = Bend

A

G|---------------------------------------–|
D|------------------------––-4-4----------| 
A|-2-2-2-2-2-2---------2-3-4--------------|
E|-------------4-2-4-------------------––-|

D|------------------------–––––-----------|
A|----------------–––––––––––––––––––––––-|
E|-2--------2-2--------2----------0–-0––––|

B

G|---------5-4-––3–|
D|-----3-6–––––4––-| x 2
A|-4-6–––––––––––--|
E|–––––––––––––––––|

G|----------------–|
D|--------–4-3–––2–| x 2
A|-----2-5-----3---|
E|–3–5–––––––––––––|

G|---------3-2-––1–|
D|-----1-4–––––2––-| x 2
A|-2-4–––––––––––--|
E|–––––––––––––––––|

G|----------------–|
D|--------–4-3–––2–| x 2
A|-----2-5-----3---|
E|–3–5–––––––––––––|

G|---------7-6-–-5-|
D|-----5-8-----6-––| x 2
A|-6-8-------------|
E|–––––––––––––––––|

G|-4~--------4---------2-2-----|
D|-------------1-2-3-4-----4-2-| B Section Ending
A|-----------------------------|
E|–––--------------------------|

A Section

B Section

D

G|---------------------------------------------|
D|-----------4-2---------------------4-2-------| x 2
A|-----2-3-4-----4-2---2-------2-3-4-----4-2---|
E|–2–4–--------------4-----2-4---------------4b|

G|-----------4-2---------------------4-2-------| x 2
D|-----2-3-4-----4-2---2-------2-3-4-----4-2---|
A|–2–4–--------------4-----2-4---------------4b|
E|---------------------------------------------|

G|------------------------------------------------|
D|-----------4-2-----------4-2--------------------| D Section Ending
A|-----2-3-4-----4-2---2-------3-2---2-4-3-2------|
E|–2–4–--------------4-------------4---------4-2b-|

D Section (actually bass plays only F# and B here)

E

G|---------------------------------------------------|
D|---5~-------------3~--------------5~-------------3~|
A|-5-------------------------------------------------|
E|–––---------1~-----------1-3~------------1~--------|

G|----------------------------------------------------|
D|----5~-------------3~--------------5~-------------3~| x 2
A|----------------------------------------------------|
E|1–3–---------1~-----------1-3~------------1~--------|

G|------------7~-------|
D|------------------2~-| E Section Ending
A|-5-5~----------------|
E|–-–------------------|

F

G|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-4-4-4-4--4-4----------------4-4-4-4--4-4------------------------------2-2-2-2--2-2------|
A|--------------5-5-5-5--5-5-----------------5-5-5-5--5-5--5-5-5-5--5-5--------------------|
E|–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

G|---------------------|
D|-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4---| F Section Ending (just finger F# fast)
A|---------------------|
E|–-–------------------|

A

D|------------------------–––––-----------| Saxophone Variation of The Main Riff
A|----------------––-––––––-––-––––––––––-|
E|-2--3--4--2-2--3--4--2---3--4---0–-0––––|

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Blah, I'm posting constantly in the thread but here it goes.

So, the Squier I bought has been a great instrument except for some irritating buzzing. I was thinking of adjusting my set-up myself but since I've never done it before I'm kind of lost. The buzzing occurs from the highest frets to around the third fret so it's kind of apparent whenever I use a lot of force when picking with my fingers. It seems that my neck is quite bowed (relief is around 0,8-1 mm) but I'm still a bit puzzled if it's that that causes the buzz. I read from Willis's tutorial that if buzz happens all around the fretboard, then the problem is with action. This feels a bit strange since action seems to be quite high as it is. So, I was thinking if I should either try to tighten the truss rod myself, raise the action even more or just man up and turn to professional luthier services. I've got spare money so it wouldn't be such a big deal but on the other hand I'd rather learn how to adjust my set-up myself.

So any ideas how I should proceed? My friend thought that the frets themselves might need some grounding and that I can't do at home.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

cpach posted:

Learning to do setup work yourself is a good skill, but in your case I think it might be a good idea to get it professionally set up, if for no other reason than giving you a good standard to compare any future setup you do to. If your bass needs fretwork, you should definitely leave it to a professional until you can get some fret tools and an instrument you're willing to make mistakes on.

Yeah, I think I'm going to contact one local luthier my friend recommended. I was thinking of swapping strings even before that so that I get the most out of my new instrument. :)

Speaking of strings, what kind of roundwounds would you recommend getting? I was thinking something with quite a small gauge since I'm learning to slap and want a bright, punchy tone. On the other hand, I want something that doesn't snap after hard abuse.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

gotly posted:

If you snap a bass string you need to chill the gently caress out and play like a normal person.

Doomy posted:

Yeah really, let your amp do the heavy lifting!

Chill out guys, chill. :cheers:

I've never come even close to snapping a string - I play quite softly. I just read someone's experiences online about some thinner strings that snapped in (presumably) normal use. Just wanted to know if there are some crappy and unreliable brands that can't handle normal thumps and pops. :)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Most songs by Jamiroquai, e.g. Black Capricorn Day from the easier end of the spectrum.

Also playing Herbie Hancock's Chameleon's bass line forever and ever.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

The bass line or the synth line? The actual bass line (comes in at 0:31) is soooooo much more fun than the synth line.

Isn't the one that kicks in at 0:31 the guitar? At least on some of their live gigs the bassist plays only the synth line with slight variations. Oh anyways. :)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm aching for a decent but reasonably priced wah-wah pedal - what would you recommend? Could I do with one designed for guitar or do I have to shell out extra bucks? I've read that the lower frequencies would suffer badly at least.

I could get Dunlop Cry Baby 105Q for 90 euros from a local store used. Worth it?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

black_mastermind posted:

Check out the Ibanez Weeping Demon. They're well built and go real cheap used. Loads of features in one unit, and has a switch that makes it really bass-friendly. The only "bad" thing about it is that is is real weird looking, very CNC/space-age glamorous. I've had one for about a year now and I use it for bass, guitar and keyboards and I love it.

Thanks for the tip! Haven't yet found it used here but the price for even a new one isn't that bad. Will keep looking and probably test out that 105Q too in the store. :)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Since I'm a broke-rear end student, I can't afford to buy a set of separate pedals nor I'm yet aware what kind of pedals I'd buy so I was thinking of picking up a good multieffect (if one exists) to broaden my bass sound. What would you recommend as the most reliable, versatile and presumably line noise free? Was thinking of something in the price range of 180 to 250 €/$.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 23, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Gah, I'm GASing for a new bass already although I bought that Squier Vintage Modified jazz bass only four months ago. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing but I just want something new to toy around. I almost brought Ibanez Jet King home with me after noodling with it at a local store but tried it out today and wasn't really loving the feel of it anymore.

Any recommendations for neo-vintageish basses in the price range of 300 - 450 $/€? Was thinking of giving Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB another try though, I remember it having a great tone. Would love to try out some Gibson EB-3 knock-offs but haven't found any around here. :(

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 24, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

And speaking of ESP, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet:

This looks goddamn horrible. I love the look of a thunderbird but this is such a failed mock-up. The shape of the pick guard and the more pronounced roundness just don't fit. Not digging the tuners nor the inlays that much either.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
One thing I'll never get is people putting their wooden instruments face down on gravel and other hard, scratching surfaces when they photograph their stuff for sale. Makes me cringe every time when I think of all the small scratches it must cause. :(

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Spikeness posted:

Finally, after two months in the shop it's fixed :fap:

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

Is that a copy or did the fixing include swapping the original truss rod cover? I'm GASing for a Rickenbacker but there's no way in hell I'll ever (or at least before graduating from uni and getting a decent paying job) shell out +2000 euros for one. I have never even played the drat thing and would probably have to get it without trying. Other option would be trying to get one used but they'd still cost around +1500 euros and there aren't many of them around in Finland.

Anyways, if this happens to be a copy, what brand is it and where did you get it? I've come across one decent Indie Ric copy that played like butter and the variety of tones it spat out was admirable. Too bad I despise the non-ric headstock and had to leave it at the store. Now I'm thinking of tracking down some knock-offs by Shine since they apparently are of quite decent worksmanship. The cheapest and OK looking Ric copy I've seen was at Tradetang:

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/Wholesales-2010-11-New-Arrival-Rickenbacker-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-/127868-2591405.html

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I would advise not to get a copy without playing it first at least and really really thinking about it. You're GASing for a Ric, not a fake Ric, there's good odds that even once you've got your copy you will still be GASing for the real thing. I would just advise saving up your money.

I'd never buy a bass without trying it out first unless there was some atrocious bargain (and even then I'd expect something fishy to be going on). To be honest, I guess I'm more GASing for the aesthetics than the actual instrument now. If that design comes with great playability and biting sound, I just can't resist it. I've heard quite a many soundclips and liked what I've heard but still haven't touched nor even seen the thing in real life.

For me, I'd be drat content with a similar looking instrument that'd deliver a killer sound. It isn't the brand nor even the specific sound for me. Even though I'm an idiot for trying find a bass based more on the aesthetics than the more important factors, I'll never buy a Ric copy nor the actual thing if it doesn't feel or sound good if my get my hands on one.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Useful information
I've heard much of the same praise of the earlier copies. For some reason I find the idea of owning a copy that's a decent instrument by itself more tempting than saving up for the real thing. Would feel more unique or something.

Oh, and I've always found that Stargazer ugly as gently caress. I like the color scheme but somehow the pickguard and headstock shapes aren't doing it for me.

If I wasn't a retard, I should probably get a P-bass to accompany my J. The design and playability come a little too close to make it feel like a refreshing new purchase. Maybe I should track down some tele type Fender. I just want to have that charm of novelty when I bring a new bass home. :smith:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Other benefits include not needing to worry as much about gigging a high-dollar investment, and not playing what amounts to the musical equivalent of bling.

Definitely this. I think the most expensive instrument I could gig with and drag around to rehearsals would be around 1000 €/$. Everything above that makes me worry too much about it getting stolen or knocked over or something.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't think I'd own one myself but I figured it warranted mentioning since it seems to be as close as any major company has ever come to a production Ric copy that didn't result in a lawsuit.
Yeah, I got you. :)

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Do it.

Also note that Schecter makes some really cool P-bass copies that are much nicer looking than the Stargazer.

And if "not like a J-bass" is the main criterion there are lots of cool choices.

Definitely going to try to find a decent priced tele reissue or something. Too bad the Squier ones don't come in yellow or tobacco burst. That Peavey T-40 looks awesome too. Would love to try that one out. Thanks for the suggestions!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Bazanga posted:

I kinda posted this over in the Rondomusic thread as well, but does anyone have any experience with the Douglas line of Bass guitars sold on Rondo? Particularly, I'm looking at the NB-C4 model.

I'm looking at beginning to play Bass and am really torn between either this or an Ibanez GRS200. They are both right around the same pricepoint, but it seems like the GRS200 is a more solid purchase. I've heard great things about Rondo's basses, so I wanted to check to see if the Douglas was a better value.

I wouldn't recommend buying any bass without trying the specific one with your own hands. There's such a huge variety in quality among these cheaper production lines so you can never guess what you'll get. My first bass was a horrible POS Jackson with a warped neck which almost killed my hobby. Whatever you do, try not to just order online but rather search for used ones or the ones in music stores.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I misinterpreted but I got the vibe from your post that you haven't tried them all out. If you have played them yourself, ignore me.

Bazanga posted:

Also, what does everyone think about a practice amp versus a Live 6 GuitarPort (or Behringer BDI21) setup for a beginner? I figure I'm going to be using headphones 90% of the time while practicing anyway, so why not get the GuitarPort and learn with it before spending the $200+ on a decent amp. Suggestions?

Nowadays I only have a BOSS ME-50B multieffect at home for plugging in headphones and jamming away. I would spend almost the lowest possible amount of money for a practice amp unless you have some sort of rehearsal space located somewhere in your home. Otherwise I'd wait until you settle with a group you're going to play with and then drag a bigger amp and a cab to the place where you rehearse.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 30, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

Actually a Fender Aerodyne P/J would be pretty great too. Classic sound, more modern look/feel.

At our last open stage gig the actual booked band's bassist wanted me to try out his Aerodyne. Felt, sounded and even looked great. Definitely recommending them.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Walked posted:

Where I'm getting mucked up is those songs with the Root/Octave or Root/Fifth pattern. I'm well aware of the importance of these guys - so I'm looking for suggestions on songs with a steady beat / not super loving fast that I can work on to practice the string skipping.

Rainbow's Long Live Rock n' Roll is mostly just jumping from root to the octave at a steady pace. I can upload the guitar pro file with the right tablatures later today if you want to try it out.

EDIT: Here's the file.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 4, 2010

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Why can't any Fender stock P-bass come in seafoam or surf green? I'd kill for a tele P-bass in that color. :argh: I bet it costs way over 150 euros to get a paintjob at a decent luthier.

Also played a great Highway One Fender P at a local store, loved it in all other possible ways but the look of it was unbearable: tobacco burst with a sort of matte finish. Ugh. It would've looked probably great with a shiny finish but the matte made it look like cheap, painted plastic instead of wood.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

How dreadful! posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Ibanez JTKB200? I might buy one if I can find it in black, only because I love the look.

I thought it had a nice feel to it but the tone was a bit too muddy and undefined for my tastes.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I was goddamn impressed by the Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision bass, almost bought one but just can't stand the fiesta red color. I just thought I'd order the sonic blue one then but apparently they don't produce them anymore. Tried asking around from various shops if they had one still in storage but sadly they've all been sold here. Oh well.

Now I'm tentatively interested in the Fender Mike Dirnt Precision bass in vintage white or two tone sunburst. I have a chance to try it out next Friday. We'll see if I bring one home to celebrate my birthday.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Going to order a Fender Mike Dirnt Precision bass in vintage white on Monday. Played a used one today at a small store when I was visiting our capital city and was about to buy it until I noticed that there was some strange mixture of some heavy adhesive stuff and melted finish near the input jack of the bass. It was only one centimeter in diameter but I just couldn't stand the idea of shelling out 600 euros for an instrument with that kind of aesthetic mishap.

Anyways, at least I got to try it so I put an order up for a new one.

By the way, are the cheap Kustom heads and cabs just pure crap? I'm tentatively interested in Kustom DE300 HD and DE410H. Someone actually had some positive experiences with them at a Finnish bass forum.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

RoboTiio posted:

If I did end up going with the Brice, how much money would I be looking at to hire a professional to get it all strung and properly set up?

I'd wager you have to pay around 45 - 60 €/$. I got my frets leveled, intonation set up and the bow of the neck fixed for only 45 euros. The guy is a sympathetic old man who doesn't seem to be aware of the modern capitalistic times so I don't know if his services are specially low priced.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Achtane posted:

My three loves:

Loving your Jag and especially the Yamaha one! I'm fond of oddball finishes in general. Also, I really, really, really love SBV-500's odd body shape and would buy one in a heart-beat. I pray they'll some day make another reissue. :saddowns:

And to save my breath, I'll just add my banana pudding beauty aka Fender Mike Dirnt Precision (MIM) here. She's perfect for playing now: the luthier had to warm and bend the neck a bit and oil the truss rod and smooth the fret ends but it was all well worth it. In addition, the guy asked only for 30 euros for all this since he thinks a new instrument should be properly set-up by the music shop itself. Well, when I said I'll pay 20 € in cash and the remaining ten euros with my credit card, he told that twenty is enough. He added that if I ever see his car stuck in a ditch, help him push it out of there. He's a lovely fellow who always asks too little for superior craftsmanship.

I strung her with Ernie Ball flatwounds, the tone is AWESOME. The action is now set perfectly, I'm just totally in love. Too bad only the headstock pic came out nice. Too sunny for my photographing skills.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Could somebody give me a quick rundown or a link to some brief, layman-oriented site about bass amplification? Even though I've played bass for a while, I didn't start playing in a band until last summer. So, this far I've been using some 100 watt Fender solid-state amp from the 90s that happened to be lying around at the rehearsal place but would want to upgrade now. My budget is around 600 euros / dollars and I'm looking for something that would be loud enough for both bar and bigger gigs. I know that amps are often micced and thus played through PAs but I don't think a 300 - 400 watt amp would hurt.

So, what kind of head + cab combinations, solid-states or hybrids would you recommend? I'm looking for a vintageish, warm sound since the stuff we're playing is a mix between 70s rock n' roll and some funky vibrations. Sterile and cold tones are the bane of my ears. I know that with 600 euros my choices are more than limited but I guess I'm not looking for 2000 dollar Ampegs or anything like that.

Some stuff I've considered:
Ashdown 550 W 2X10 Combo Spyder
Marshall MB4210 450 W
or
Kustom DE 300 HD head (I've heard both good and bad stuff about this one)
with
Kustom DE410H cab

Also, Ashdown has a few budget-priced heads and cabs I've been thinking.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 8, 2011

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Juaguocio posted:

Check out the Amps FAQ on Talkbass, and if you need specific information that's not contained in there, just do a search of their forums.

I would actually recommend putting some Talkbass FAQ links in the OP because they're much more comprehensive than anything we could come up with.

Thanks, been reading through some of the links and they've shed some light on the subject.

One small but important question: I got a deal on Marshall MB450H head and Marshall MBC410 cab to go with it for 600 euros. Now, I'm going to give these a test ride within two weeks but since I'm still somewhat unfamiliar with the tech behind the equipment I'm afraid I'll miss some crucial flaw that dawns on me later. So, in addition to trying that every knob functions and doesn't rattle, every channel works etc., what should I try? Of course I'll try to play at both higher and lower volumes so that nothing rattles or clips.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Not Eek posted:

Has anyone tried the Squier CV 50's Precision?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Precision-50s-Bass-Guitar-?sku=519743

I was thinking about buying it and replacing the pickups but I'm not sure what to actually replace them with.

I've tried a couple of these. Didn't dig the pick-ups nor the feel whereas the CV 60's P and VM J (the latter I own) have been great every time I've picked one up. Also, the somewhat new Jaguar models with P/J pick-ups are really worth looking into - great tone! All in all, I would never advise buying without trying. Even if you liked one of the same model in the shop, the one you receive may be a different beast.

Finally upgraded from our guitarist's old Fender 100W solid state amp to Marshall MH450 and MBC410. I can get a really warm and moderately rough tone out of these. Still have to twiddle with the knobs a bit to cut clearer through the mix.

Inspired by one other bassist at the same gig I played, I bought a Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser. The effect is more subtle than the MXR's it's based on but that's just a plus in my opinion since it doesn't drown the actual notes you're playing into Starship Enterprise like swhoops.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 25, 2011

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
My luthier refinished my T-40 in seafoam green yesterday - I can't say I could be any happier with the end result! Going to take this beast to the next band rehearsal on Sunday hoping for it to become my main bass.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

That is...my god. I don't even know. Consider me one extremely jealous goon.

Thanks! Not meaning to make you even more jealous but I got to say that the tone is awesome (I can cut through the mix clearly), playability's really nice and the weight isn't bad with a proper, wide and soft strap. :)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm thinking about selling an expensive Warwick and I'm a bit concerned about shipping it. Would you leave the strings tuned tight or just let them hang loose? The former would put some tension on the neck but the instrument will be in that state 99% of its time anyway. Not sure if the neck is more prone to snap then though.

I'm planning to put the bass in a hard case, put some bubble wrap around the case itself and put it inside a cardboard box. Just the idea of the instrument arriving with a broken neck or something makes me feel all queesy. And yes, I'm going to insure it but I'd rather not have it break down.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
The bass is a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On so the neck could be removed but I think I'll leave it intact. The reason is the hard case: if the neck is off, the parts could move around too much and I don't want to risk any dents or other mishaps. It's just easier if a tiny bit riskier to leave it at its normal condition. I'm going to try to pack the thing today. Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to leave as little room for the bass and the case to wiggle as possible.

Speaking of the whole deal, I'm going to spend all the money I'll get to upgrade my head and cab. I've been strongly considering the Ampeg SVT-7 Pro and pairing it with an Ampeg SVT-410HE. If I had the dough, I'd pick up a full tube head but the money seems to be just too tight for that. Oh well, maybe I'll keep on browsing used stuff until something great comes across. I'd love an old SVT or even that V4B if I first got a chance to test the latter (I've heard they're a bit too underpowered).

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 15, 2012

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's not common to ship instruments with the necks detached and I'd be furious if I got a bass that way. It will screw up the setup.

If you have a local music store, ask someone what day they get their shipments and if you could snag a shipping box from them. Typically low end instruments are just shipped with a plastic bag over them in a tight fitting box with some foam. I've always been able to snag them from the Guitar Center down the street.

Thankfully I have one big Fender instrument cardboard box left over from my summer eBay deal. I just got to stuff it full of newspaper etc. to stop the hard case moving inside the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

I'm getting ready to ship out my hollowbody for some repairs. And I got a dose of some quite refreshing honesty from Lakland...

Since my bridge pickup died, I'd been in contact with Lakland about getting a replacement sent out to me. The bass is just about two years old at this point, so I was expecting it would cost me at least a little bit of cash (maybe my endorsement discount would count for parts/pickups as well?), but they're known for having great customer service/support so I was hoping for the best.

From a few back-and-forth emails, it sounded like it was going to be covered, sweet! But then I didn't hear anything for a good while, but this was right in the middle of the holidays, so I didn't really think too much of it.

I shot another email yesterday and got a pretty awesome response (and here's where the refreshing honesty comes in). They basically told me they want to switch me over to single-coil pickups (they were originally humbuckers w/ a push-pull pot for single-coil mode). They said that they feel like the single-coil versions sound better, are still super quiet, and seem to be more reliable. They come in the same housing, so no routing or body-work needs to be done. And if I can cover the cost of shipping, they'll switch them over for free.

In short, yay Lakland \:)/

That's great news!

Also, I sold and shipped the bass I mentioned a few posts ago and got the money today. The buyer texted me and told he was really happy with it. Yay! Now I just got to decide what amp and cab I'll order. I'm 99% sure I'll go with the Ampeg SVT-7 Pro and SVT 410HE.