Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I dunno if this has been brought up yet, but Bootsy Collins started a online funk university about a month ago. Its mainly video lessons, from Bootsy, Brian Hardgrove, Divinity Roxx and others. Les Claypool and Victor Wooten will supposedly have some lessons on there soon. You can sign up for a year, 6 monthes, or one month. Theres not a ton of stuff on there yet, but a lot of insight from Bootsy and some other big names. It doesn't teach theory, mostly just funk and motown techniques. I really like it so far :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Scarf posted:

I've been hearing a lot of mixed reviews about this. Some say its a colossal waste of time and money, others say its pretty fun and worthwhile. Seems like it's a neat idea, but they maybe haven't perfected it yet?

I dunno, I plan to check it out... but I'm pretty confident they couldn't really teach me anything new.

You will not learn any new theory at all. NONE.

Its definitely a little rough around the edges right now, I only signed up for a month. Basically its a bunch of videos of bassist's talking about they're roll in whatever style of music they play. There is some video lessons for random songs, with tabs to help you play them. Mostly Jamerson, but like I said its only been running since the first of July. The community there is alright, alot of videos posted on the forums of whatever bass lines they like. I Signed up just for the insight, I wanted to know how bootsy learned and developed, and what his musical ideas were. If your a begginer/intermediate bass player, this just might help you, Its pretty good motivation, at least.

Bootsy's basic funk formula is featured on the site as well.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

This tiny allen wrench is more than likely what you need.

Its what I use on my Marcus Miller jazz.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

My sansamp adds a quiet but annoying buzz to the signal too. My jazz isn't properly grounded either, so that adds to the problem when I don't have my hand on the strings. Only solution i can think of for the sansamp is a noise gate, like the G string.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Manky posted:

I was in Guitar Center today, seeing if they had any decent Labor Day sales (nope). While I was there I noticed a StingRay knock off. The only name on the headstock was "Austin" and I can't seem to find anything about it online. It actually played and sounded pretty nice, but I wasn't about to buy it without knowing more. Anyone heard of the bass/company before?

My friend has a Austin Pbass copy, it plays pretty good and has a nice tone to it. I have never seen a Austin bass in any music stores, I found their website but its under construction right now. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they only produce 200 to 600$ish instruments. If you really like the bass and sound go for it! The pbass my friend has is beat TO HELL. There is a big chunk of the body that's been gashed out on the edge parallel to the bridge, and it still sounds good.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Ah right, that's good to know - it's more of a general question though, this kind of playing seems to come up a lot (especially in funk lines) and a lot of videos I've seen have people casually barring with their first finger, which is tough for me but seems to make it easier to play stuff quickly. I'm still new to bass so I don't want to take any technique shortcuts if possible!

I'd recommend studying Gary Willis' Progressive Bassics, there are 7 videos of the whole thing on youtube. It mainly focus's on 3 finger plucking technique and good form with your fretting hand. Might not sound like it would be all that useful, but I wish I could have seen this when I started playing. Alot of bass players will leave there plucking hand up to its own thing when playing faster lines. Even though your probably not going to be playing scales lightning fast right now, its good to see these things early. He makes everything look so insanely easy, his hands hardly even move when hes switching positions.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Walked posted:

anyone?

Get a crate, I've had my BT15 since I started and never had any problems with it. Has a nice tone, and a headphone input. If you want a combo amp that can jam with loud drummers and has NICE tone, get a Peavey max 115. My friend has one and its awesome. Behringer has low prices, but the general consensus is that they suck and get screwed up easy. Am i wrong goons? :confused:

Haven't really put in time jamming on a Behringer amp except for when I'm at guitar center.. so ya.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

OK guys.. I have really been getting into jazz and bebop music the last few weeks, I've always appreciated it but I'm in love with the upright acoustic bass now. I can't really recall seeing any upright players in this thread and I'm too lazy to read through the whole thing again.

Anyways, as soon as I get a job and pay off some bills I would love to buy one. I'm in the middle of nowhere in Ohio, I have NEVER seen one in music stores, or even played one. Did a quick google search and there are a few places I could go to in the state that sell them, what I'm worried about is picking the right one.. What brands are the best? I know I couldn't afford a top of the line one, but what is a great model for a beginner?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I'm not discouraged yet, I think I would have to live somewhere else before I ever got one though. My room can get a lil humid in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. But moving out is my next big thing I have planned, as far as lessons go it would be a long drive to the nearest teacher, at least an hour and a half. I guess this just gives me time to practice on my jazz bass and learn theory.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

thequiethero posted:

I'm currently trying to learn 'Portrait of Tracy' by Jaco Pastorius. It's way out out my skill level, but it's so fun to play. Anyone know of any other music like this?

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBG_2tPiOU
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/p/pastorius,_jaco/162835.html

Iambic 9 Poetry by SquarePusher.

Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpzK1ItQGw&feature=related
Tab: http://www.bassmasta.net/s/squarepusher/136457.html

This song is easier in comparison, just screw around and figure out the right spot for each harmonic note. Portrait of Tracy is one of my favorite things to play, harmonics on bass just sound so cool :)

Constipated fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 29, 2010

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

MolluskGoneBad posted:

A good laminate bass will deal just fine with changes in heat and humidity.

What's your price range?

Also, 3 hours travel plus lesson time every week or every 2 weeks is really small potatoes compared to the amount of time you need to pour into the thing to start sounding good. If you're serious about wanting to learn the instrument, don't let something like that stop you.

I would have no problem dropping 1,500 - 2k on one. 3k is pushing it, I dunno it really depends. I'm trying to find a job that pays at least 9 an hour, so you could imagine how long it would take me to save up. Its gonna be a long time for sure. It would probably be a better idea to start off renting one, 60$ a month is a deal.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Walked posted:

Have a strap; just dont prefer to stand constantly. I'll grab a cheapo chair to go with it.

Buy a drummers throne. Bass is rhythm too :colbert:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Does anyone else in here have problems with their hands sweating too much when they jam? It always seems to throw me off when I attempt faster things. I'm actually sorta worried about it because if they are getting sweaty when I'm in a comfortable place how bad would it get if I'm on stage with a bunch of lights on me. I'm right handed and for the most part this is only affecting my fretting hand(left, dur). Anyone use fingerless gloves? My palm is the main problem when I go to jump around the neck sometimes it can make me slide too fast or too slow, so my thinking is if I can get used to wearing a glove maybe that will solve that. I don't have any gloves.. either. :blush:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I play metal with it, mostly.

it nails that Steve DiGiorgio Death poo poo.

Gotta know, how much did it cost? Been listening to a ton of Death lately, love his tone.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

My first bass was a Warlock bronze series. If I would have known about Squire's vintage modified bass I would of definitely chosen that over the warlock. First off, the neck dive is insane with most B.C Rich instruments, and when your beginning thats one thing that can be really annoying. The tone was pretty blehhh, really the only good thing I have to say about the warlock was the neck was actually pretty nice and fast to play on. Go for the Squire, you won't regret it. More tone selection, no neck dive, and I think it looks better honestly.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 27, 2010

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Just checked out this dudes site, if I ever had enough money I would love to get a custom bass done. Maybe a 4 or 5 string fret less. :allears:

I sorta miss my old Warwick Dolphin pro 5 string. Sold it to a goon last summer when I intended on moving out, lost my job and spent all of the money on bills :saddowns:

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Just picked up a set of Thomstik-Infeld flat wounds, and the Bass Fitness book. Gonna have a lot of fun this week, and pain :)

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

A Tech 21 Bass driver or VT bass pedal will help add some beef to your tone. Just take an hour or two to experiment with your amp and bass settings if thats all you have, that always helps too. Could not recommend Tech 21's stuff more, really good sounding pedals.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

You can! Just solo the neck pickup, I dunno how that would sound on most Ibanez bass's though...... *dances away*

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

gotly posted:

Just picked up the Slap Bass Program and it's pretty awesome.

Quick question from slap experts. When I'm watching the video, his thumb seems to be coming straight down and bouncing off the string. I always let the thumb fall onto the string below it but he says that's "sloppy" playing. I'm trying to figure out how he's doing it. It seems like his thumb and the fretboard is made out of rubber because my thumb doesn't bounce like that and ends up muting the string.

Youtube of the clip in question: (skip to 0:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb-wk7dhnrc

edit: (¯`·._.·*dances away*·._.·´¯)

Its all in the wrist, just rotate it around so you have your thumb pointing to the left, then the right. Thats the sorta motion you gotta drill into your head with practice. Slap is probably the hardest technique I learned because if you don't have the right form when you slap it can screw up a pop, or another slapped note. It requires alot of planning, practice, and control of your wrist and index/middle finger.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

gotly posted:

What? :what: :yohoho:

Gahhhh gently caress I realize that is bad advice, I wrote that after watching my hand do the motion.. Disregard that, guess I could of explained that better. What I meant to say is that dude is just flicking his wrist back quickly, so that it never rests on the string he slapped, or the one below it. When you play intermediate/harder slap lines up to speed you really won't want to do what your doing, because you will need your hand in the right position to either slap more or pop with your index/middle finger. Bad slapping form can almost make it impossible to mute/slap/pop correctly.

You could argue that a form that appears bad to one person could work for another, and that is very true when it comes to other playing techniques, but GOOD slapping is very much a science. Your wrist will be moving much more, therefor you will open yourself up to more screw ups if your not conscious of what your wrist is actually doing.

That is just one of the most common slap techniques out there, Marcus Miller sorta takes his thumb and pushes down and away from the string when he slaps... sometimes. SOO yes, slapping is hard and there are a few ways to do it. Hopefully that helps, the ole wrist flick should be the first slap motion you learn, seeing as how its the easiest. There are more experienced bassist's in this thread, but I think they would probably tell you the same thing.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 23, 2011

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yes, seriously. It's only half of a repertoire of a really bad bass player no one wants to listen to, or guys only bass players give a poo poo about. It's a waste of time.

This. I've been playing for 5 or 6 years, and 3 years ago I pretty much stopped slapping. Its the equivalent of a rapper, who only raps about money, ho's and guns. It's been done to death for years now, and EVERYONE has heard it. The novelty wears off pretty quick, and eventually you will get tired of the thuggish rapper, and move on to someone with better lyrics and tighter beats.

When I first started I thought Les Claypool was the best bassist ever, now I respect Jeff Berlin and Jaco alot more.. But slapping is pretty drat fun.

edit: also a big Flea fan.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 24, 2011

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

The Gamechanger system looks pretty sweet. But I hate the body design :pseudo:

EB/MM comes up with some of the ugliest bass's I've ever seen, worst being the bongo.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I would pick the 25th over the Big Al or bongo any day. It's like they weren't even trying with the Big Al. The bongo however is touted as THE most distinctive body style ever. Sure it sounds good, but ughhh. Who wants to play something that looks like a toilet seat.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

I'd like some guidance on moving to flatwounds from knowledgable folks please. I've never used them on my bass before, but played on other basses with them and not enjoyed the feel much. I dig the sound and can see how it would work with my rig (Jazz > Ashdown ABM > 210/115) but they just have too much tension for me, feels like I'm playing a toy with plastic strings or something. Are there any flatwounds that are a bit looser so I can dig in more? I do a lot of pedal whole notes too, if I go flatwound does it affect the sustain enough to be noticeable?

I'm not really sure I'm looking for flatwounds, or whether I just think I am because I associate them with classic basslines.

Thomastick Infeld flats are real loose, but they are pretty expensive. I have some on my Marcus Miller jazz and I love them.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I've had a pair of Thomastik Infeld flatwounds on my bass for a few months now, will they continue to age if I take them off? They sound good and feel awesome but I need to switch back to roundwounds for awhile to jam with some friends. They never really did mellow out too much, I was hoping to get a super warm tone with that set but I guess it takes quite awhile for that to happen.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Well then I'm glad I didn't clean my fretboard before I put them on :)

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

The same Mark Hoppus bass has been at my local Guitar Center forever now. Easily the worst Fender/Squire bass I have played, I hope no one is ever stupid enough to buy it.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Well you could probably buy a new squire precision for close to the same price, its really up to you. Squire is pretty decent for cheap/entry level instruments, but a Fender should be a tiny bit better at least. Go for it. If the signal cuts out or gets real fuzzy, or the tone and volume knobs are hosed up, then you probably shouldn't buy it. Other than that a 210$ Pbass sounds pretty good to me.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

NarkyBark posted:

Any preferred method for removing rust off of a pickup? It sounds fine, just looks crappy, wondering if there was an easy way without a lot of damage risk.

WD-40, q-tips. There is no easier way, and you probably have both already.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Scarf posted:

That's the bass's natural funk accumulating. Leave it :colbert:

I clean the green funk off my fretboard because I want my Marcus Miller jazz to stay nice and bright. Now whenever I get around to getting a P bass I'm slapping some flats on there, some foam under the bridge and never cleaning it ever :)

God I want a P bass :(

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

^^beat me to it^^

Scarf posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's difficult at all.

And I get the attraction to the technique that new players have. But learning the technique, and learning WHEN to use the technique are completely different. And you really need to learn the latter at the same time as the former.

It's honestly one of the reasons I have so much disdain for Wooten. Yeah, he's technically an amazing slapper, but often I think his attempts to make something as technical as possible sacrifices some cohesiveness of the song and it's rhythm.

This. Every young bass player I know faps over Wooten, and thinks slapping is the pinnacle of badass bassitude. I like some stuff Wooten does, don't get me wrong. But it kills me to see a band with young players take on a song with some slap parts, and the bassist tries so hard to play fast and ends up loving it up. I'm thinking of 2 bass players in particular, and neither one can really do good finger playing either.

Good finger technique is infinitely more impressive to me than crazy slap stuff. In my opinion its harder, and something that is much more useful in 99% of bands. My advice for new bassists, don't even waste your time trying to learn slap techniques until your plucking game is good.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

This might be better than a normal octave pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe-Vy3HDyQ4

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Ugly bass, cool concept. At least its not a bongo.. God I'd kick myself in the nuts if I was forced to play one live.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Deuce, have you really been waiting on this bass for 2 years? I remember seeing you posting about getting a Stambaugh around the time I registered. Anddd if I'm not mistaken this won't be your first from him will it?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

My Tech21 Sansamp bass driver is my favorite pedal I've ever used. It's pretty versatile and is great if you don't have a awesome tube amp. Really fattens up my tone, in a clean way.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

A slammer is a p-bass clone right? I think as long as the neck isn't all out of whack and the string height isnt too high or too low, it would be good to at least learn on. An amp really really helps, but you can be building up finger strength and learning some basic scales and stuff in the meantime.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Hi, bass thread! I have this bass. It sounds like this. (Clip is Amplitube 3 GK model)

I'm not sure if I should be happy with the tone or not. In the track, I play the same thing (very roughly) three times. The first run through is with the neck pickup, then neck and bridge, and then bridge only. The only thing I've done to the bass is removed the EQ. I never liked it. I run most of my instruments knob-free, as in, I remove the volume and tone knobs, and just run the pickups straight. The only way to change the way the instrument sounds from the instrument is to change which pickup is sent to the jack. The volume knob is still on the bass, and the pickups are selected through a blend knob with detent.

I guess my questions are:

A) does my bass sound alright? I play mostly metal, but I'd like the bass to be a jack of all trades if possible.

B) if it sounds like poo poo, what should I buy to replace it? The only 6-string pickups I could find that would fit (Nordstrand :argh: ) were these Bartolinis and the Lace Bass Bar. I'd like to run the pickups sans EQ or preamp, if possible, which makes me think the Bass Bar is my only (affordable) hope.

The real question is.... do YOU think your bass sounds alright (for what you intend to use it for)? Obviously you don't or you wouldn't have posted this. I don't want to be a dick, but why on earth would you remove your EQ if you weren't satisfied with the tone you got without one, with your only tone tweaking capabilities being the pickup selection? The type of players that remove their instruments on board EQ stuff are the type that have their ideal tone and can get it without one, and don't need the liability of more electronic gizmos in their instrument that could fail, or maybe they just want a simpler instrument/combination of all that. I'm not going to suggest gear for you to buy, that you really don't need. Money is an issue these days, for most everyone. But if you think that the only way you can get "that" sound your going for is to drop a few grand on gear, then I can't, nor do I want to spend the time to persuade you not to. Learn what makes your instrument work, experiment! Turn those knobs! They are there for a reason.

edit: (I actually do have the time to make this a better post..)Theres tons of different bass tones in metal, that serve their bands in different ways. Are you currently in a band? Do you have an idea of how you want every instrument in this metal band to sound? Which instrument will be the most prominent? If its guitar then maybe you want a little more bass in your tone so it blends in with the guitar and adds some "heavyness" to it. Some metal bassists just do that, and don't really try to make their bass cut threw the mix to where you can hear each individual note clearly. Obviously the more effort, time, and thought you put into this, the happier you will be with the results.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2012

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Speaking of John Myung, god of gods, here's a cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wYu4b5cII8

I loving love videos like this, but why couldn't they play some! I'd really like to hear all his different distortions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Hey guys, was browsing craigslist today and came across this G&L L2000 Tribute 4 string. Is this a deal??
http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/2930939570.html

I've only played one G&L before, and absolutely loved how it felt. If I do reply to the ad I'd try and haggle him down some.