Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

java
May 7, 2005

I've been playing a Dean Edge Pro for the past few years, and while it's been a great bass to learn on and the electronics are nice, I feel like it's time to move on. I've started going around to some local shops to check out basses. Tried out a a used Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass; the thing just played beautifully. I have not played any other Fender Jazz basses, anyone have any input as to how a MIM Jazz Bass might compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Doomy posted:

I think the internet consensus is that you could find a MIM as good as that CIJ geddy but you're going to be trying out a few MIMs to accomplish that.

Try out the jaguar too, also has the slim neck profile and "vintage" model pickups.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll probably shop around a bit more and see if I can try out some different Jazz basses so I can get a feel for the differences. I guess part of what I'm trying to get a grip on is how different the manufacturing processes are in country of origin, and how it relates to how it feels in my hands, and how it sounds. I for whatever reason had always assumed that the MIM versus Made in Japan or US debate was over the quality of the electronics, and not the rest of the instrument... I'm slowly learning otherwise.

java
May 7, 2005

DRP Solved! posted:

I want to start buying effect pedals for my bass and the bass-specific ones are looking quite expensive (and less plentiful than guitar pedals). How good do Danelectro pedals sound with a bass? Does anyone have any hints on places online that sell bass pedals?

Some more info: I'm mainly looking for some decent fuzz and delay and looking to pay less than $80 per pedal if possible.

I actually have a Danelectro fabtone pedal that I use for my bass and I've gotten some good sounds out of it for fuzz bass that's just barely fuzzy. (The higher end of the fuzzy has a tendency to get a bit muddy). It's unfortunately broken right now, and I'm not really sure how to fix it.

java
May 7, 2005

I finally had my bass professionally setup after owning it for two years (having gotten it used). What a difference, completely night and day. It's like the light bulb went on as to what playing a bass is actually supposed to feel like.

java fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2010

java
May 7, 2005

Luminous Cow posted:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/msg/2768538143.html

So I've got some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, and I found the above. Does anyone have experience with Dean guitars? I've found that this particular model is about 200 dollars brand new, and I've also found generally positive reviews on it. I'm going to call the guy tomorrow, and hopefully go see it. What specifically should I look for? Obviously I'll look for paint chips and warping, but i dunno if there's anything else to look for.

The post is gone now, but I have a Dean Edge Pro 4 that is pretty decent. It's got a nice bridge, decent electronics, and is pretty comfortable. My only issue is that it just doesn't have the sort of shape I personally want in a bass, but that's more my own hang up.

java
May 7, 2005

So, I’ve got a question about systems for playing along with music.

I’m in an apartment building and really don’t have much time to practice except for late at night. Most of my bass playing is just playing along with a few recorded tracks and practicing scales. I’m currently running both my bass and my iPod into my amp, and using headphones to listen to the resulting mix. Only problem is that for some reason, only the left channel from the iPod comes through. I can work with it, but it sounds pretty lovely.

I was hoping someone in this thread might have ideas about how to solve this problem or might be in a similar spot. I’ve seen products like the Rockman Guitar Ace, but it looks pretty terrible, but maybe I’m wrong?

java
May 7, 2005

Thanks for the all the links and information. I think cobbling together my pennies for a decent headphone practice amplifier is probably the route I will go.

java
May 7, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Plenty of headphone amp solutions with aux ins.

At the cheap end, you could go with this: http://www.guitarworksinc.net/STORE/productdisplay.asp?productid=1423

FWIW, I wound up getting the Guitar Works Concept 3 headphone amp - it's been a real champ so far and exactly what I was looking for at twenty bucks.

java
May 7, 2005

I finally tried out a used MIM Fender Jazz today. I am ready to sell my current bass and go buy this.

java
May 7, 2005

I hope cross-listing is alright. I'm looking to sell my current rig, which I've put up in the Gear trades thread

java
May 7, 2005

vas0line posted:

Eugene Goreshter was the bassist of Failure, and is currently the bassist and lead vocals in Autolux, another loving amazing band (along with Greg Edwards, formerly guitar/vocals of Failure, and also Carla Azar who is incredibly creative behind a drum kit and electronic stuff). I saw Autolux live a few times and Goreshter had a rack full of bullshit and the sparkliest p bass ever invented.

Autolux and Failure are both so fabulous. Found this thread on talkbass: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/autoluxs-crazy-effects-339042/

The guy in the thread was right about the custom pedals though. I swear I saw a Big Muff, but it might also have been just a regular aluminum case for some mystery custom job. There were some other things covered in black gaffer tape :tinfoil:

edit: "rack full of bullshit" in the most endearing manner. Failure and Autolux are two of my favorite bands. :D

Wait, when did we start talking about Failure? Fantastic Planet is easily one of my favorite albums ever.

Also, I didn't know about Autolux, so thanks!

java
May 7, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Edit : Then I see people like MonoNeon, wearing taped over glasses and a mask while playing bass backwards, and I simply decide I should never touch a bass again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8ieWZYV7ZM

MonoNeon is an absolute beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Just got my first Classic Vibes 70s P bass. Feels like the bass I always should have been playing. So bright, yet has such a great bass sound. It's loving lovely.

I bought one of these about six months ago and I absolutely love it.