Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I saw that Dodge IROC when I was looking at real IROCs :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That T-bird is exactly my poo poo, other than those stupid automatic shoulder belts.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I saw that Dodge IROC when I was looking at real IROCs :v:

actual track run in the iroc series? I would be down for that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TotalLossBrain posted:

I mean...I drive a '16 Corolla Sport Edition - which lets you paddle-shift your way through the CVT range. Why bother with this?

All automatics have some kind of way to hold gears, for towing trailers up the Rockies and poo poo. That was the "L-1-2-OD lockout" business on ye old 4 speed Hydramatic. I think it's mandated by FMVSS? ANyway if you have that on the CVT then adding paddles is basically just another box on the spec sheet for $2.50 in parts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

That T-bird is exactly my poo poo, other than those stupid automatic shoulder belts.

Yep. Not sure if it is this thread or another where I said I lusted for this exact same car back in the day. When I was young, used to hit up dealer lots after hours and just look around thinking "someday". And one dealer basically had this exact same car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

This is like getting 3 1000 piece puzzles mixed together and with a few missing pieces each.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elephanthead posted:

actual track run in the iroc series? I would be down for that.

Pretty sure they mean IROC-Z Camaro.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I am weird with you.
hahah i actually meant to write VIII :gerty:

something about this is just very aesthetically pure to me

it's only legal to drive htis car if your name is something like "lance reddick" where its two words that mean "big penis" smashed together

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I think the only ones of those I've seen in the past 5 years have been parking behind random buildings, abandoned, dragging rear end. Didn't they have air suspension that always failed?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

opengl128 posted:

I think the only ones of those I've seen in the past 5 years have been parking behind random buildings, abandoned, dragging rear end. Didn't they have air suspension that always failed?

Maybe, the ones I always seen dragging their rear end (like around 99% of the time) was the Continental.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

opengl128 posted:

They were 90s Ford products so........

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is it that car that the headlight bulbs are impossible to source now? Or is it some other Lincoln?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hahah i actually meant to write VIII :gerty:

something about this is just very aesthetically pure to me

it's only legal to drive htis car if your name is something like "lance reddick" where its two words that mean "big penis" smashed together

Aw. Not that the VIII is ugly or anything - I just like slightly boxy, I guess.

opengl128 posted:

Continentals definitely do that, and probably VIIIs as well. It not so much that they always fail, but that airbags don’t wear out like springs. They’re all or nothing, at least insofar as the bag itself. They don’t gradually sag like steel springs. Also, electronics and an air compressor, so more to go wrong, and we all know how people tend to not maintain their cars, especially secondary owners of semi-luxury cars.
My parents’ 90-something Expedition has rear air suspension, and had a slow leak. It was fine while driving, but let it sit for a bit and it was squatting like a making GBS threads dog.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Usually when the air suspension on a Mark VIII fails they don't drag rear end, the entire car drops. So it just looks like someone slammed the poo poo out of it.

Personally, I prefer the pre-refresh Mark VIII.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Depends on what actually fails, I think. Pretty sure that the front and rear are on separate “channels”.
That reminds me that I once saw one of the FWD Continentals with a completely failed air suspension on the road, bouncing along on the bump stops. Looked cool as hell that low, but obviously rode like a buckboard.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

With emphasis on "project":
https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/traverse-city-porsche-914-project-cars/7154424466.html

A pair of Porsche 914 project cars, only $4200 and all the rust you can handle.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

“Don’t have to sell but need to”? What fresh nonsense is this?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Might as well say "low ball me because rent is due"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

He said firm though.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
It's cool how Fieros are basically a rorschach test of some kind of automotive travesty.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

A hog that makes a statement whenever you arrive.

That statement being 'oh hey, the mail's here'

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

“Don’t have to sell but need to”? What fresh nonsense is this?

"Wife hates this loving thing slightly less than she hates me."

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

File under "Ways to die as intriguing as they are viscerally terrifying"

https://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/d/auke-bay-k350-two-person-submarine/7155999242.html

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Good, spare o-rings.

In case the local Harbor Freight is sold out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy poo poo would, if I had an extra 40k lying around.

I maintain and operate Submarines for a living though, so I might be an an edge case.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Godholio posted:

Good, spare o-rings.

In case the local Harbor Freight is sold out.

600ft test depth is only about 267psi, Hazard Fraught O rings will probably work fine in any seawater systems, although obv. Maybe source them through McMaster or.someone reputable.

High Pressure Air is where O-rings test their mettle and you get into silicon rubbers and poo poo, I'd also be very concerned about a high-pressure-air rupture incapacitating you pretty much instantly in a volume that small.

Any properly designed o-ring sealed seawater joint will also only leak an acceptable amount of water for recovery of the vessel, should the o-rings fail.

E: another big issue is recertification of the pressure envelope, you'd need fancy equipment to do a reasonable pressure drop test, and you'd probably want to do ultrasonic testing of any and all welds on a regular basis, which is not cheap. Radiography of the welds would be even better, but that's even more not cheap.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 10, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If the quality of that submarine is at the same level as the author’s writing ability, you’re going to die immediately.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If the quality of that submarine is at the same level as the author’s writing ability, you’re going to die immediately.

Look at this clown. Telling us that modern journalism should be trusted no matter what side you are on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

E: another big issue is recertification of the pressure envelope, you'd need fancy equipment to do a reasonable pressure drop test, and you'd probably want to do ultrasonic testing of any and all welds on a regular basis, which is not cheap. Radiography of the welds would be even better, but that's even more not cheap.

gently caress it, YOLO :v:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

President Camacho fallen on hard times?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

super nailgun posted:

File under "Ways to die as intriguing as they are viscerally terrifying"

https://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/d/auke-bay-k350-two-person-submarine/7155999242.html

There's a lot of really spectacular Great Lakes shipwrecks within that depth range, you could make yourself a permanent addition to an archaelogical find.

I suppose a major limitation of that thing is getting to dive sites that are far from shore, would you tow it? Research submarines that size are generally deployed from a ship with a crane on it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Just strap it to the back of the old Bayliner and tow it out there.

Put an outboard on it? idk

Content:

Is that price point normal?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

:stare:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wow why is that semi recent corvette so cheap! Wait isnt the LT1 kinda old? Oh....oh.

poo poo the back looks okay but the front end falls apart quickly. Its too short? I dunno not a corvette guy.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
The side view almost looks like a lovely copy of an NSX

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nohearum posted:

The side view almost looks like a lovely copy of an NSX

Except with backwards proportions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's the slope of the hood that's loving everything up. Yeah, it's too short up front and the front wheels are too far back.