Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BigPaddy posted:

Maybe I just hate money but if I don’t want something I tend to give it away to someone who needs it within reason. Busted old Pontiac 389 and trans? Donated to the High Schools auto shop. I just can’t be dealing with morons on CL or Facebook.

I had to get rid of a 2000 Passat Wagon quick fast and in a hurry, 350,000 miles, a blown power steering system and a window held up with a soda can, gave it away to the first person I didn't have to pick up from their mom's house to look at it.

Went to a VW mechanic's son, as his first car, he was so loving stoked, the dad was like "yeah, I'll have all this poo poo fixed in a day" it was very :unsmith: they might have been lying to me, and trying to flip it for a profit, or part it out, but IDGAF, as long as it didn't get towed.

That car had to have it's own guardian angel or something, 17 years and 350kmi in the NE, interior was near mint condition, there was almost zero rust on the undercarriage, engine and trans were still butter smooth, used less than a quart of oil between changes, mostly out of the turbo seals, just incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I'm the same. I even gave the guy $100 more than he offered because he was nice to do business with. I'm bad at selling cars. I was so drat fed up with all the annoying people that came crawling out of the woodworks.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Couple years ago I had to unload a 96 Ranger I bought as a project and almost immediately blew out what was left of its rings. The ad clearly stated that it ran, ac worked, currently tagged and insured but the motor was junk and on its last legs, smoking like a coal train.

I had so many calls from guys who were hours away and wanted to know if they could drive it home, one guy wanted to "use it for a couple weeks until my next check comes in" and I had to ghost him for his own good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Maybe I just hate money but if I don’t want something I tend to give it away to someone who needs it within reason. Busted old Pontiac 389 and trans? Donated to the High Schools auto shop. I just can’t be dealing with morons on CL or Facebook.

The high school next to my house has a first-gen MR2 sitting outside their auto shop and I'm torn between thinking that's cool as hell, and wondering what a pain in the rear end it is to work on that engine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elviscat posted:

I had to get rid of a 2000 Passat Wagon quick fast and in a hurry, 350,000 miles, a blown power steering system and a window held up with a soda can, gave it away to the first person I didn't have to pick up from their mom's house to look at it.

Went to a VW mechanic's son, as his first car, he was so loving stoked, the dad was like "yeah, I'll have all this poo poo fixed in a day" it was very :unsmith: they might have been lying to me, and trying to flip it for a profit, or part it out, but IDGAF, as long as it didn't get towed.
After a week of dealing with idiots, no shows and horrible trade offers I sold the VW TDI (330k miles) to my old roommate for scrap value. He fixed a couple things then sold it to a family from his church for $250. Since then it's gotten new shocks, bushings, brakes and a couple other things. I'm happy to see it being used, they were a family of three drivers with one unreliable car so they love it. of course now with COVID I wish I'd kept it since I'm not driving the new-to-me car anyway

I have the Lola formula ford listed in a few places, one of them is facebook. It's very clearly listed as a slider (rolling chassis) with no engine or transmission. 75% of the messages I get on facebook ask if it includes an engine and transmission, the other 20% are "I'm very interested in this" which never reply more than a couple times after I offer to setup a time for them to see it. The other 5% is either the automated "Is this still available" or lovely trade offers. Oh, also had a great offer of half my asking price if I would deliver it 1500 miles.

Selling things sucks and with COVID I'm not bothering to list anything under around $500 right now, it just isn't worth it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nothing egregious here, other than they misspelled "Chief" and it's not a Chief, it's a Spirit.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PeterCat posted:

Nothing egregious here, other than they misspelled "Chief" and it's not a Chief, it's a Spirit.

Aren't those things essentially a road king with different body panels?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I recently put up the old spare wheel/tire from my jeep up for free on CL, clearly stating the tire was no good and needed to be replaced because it was probably 20 years old, cracked all to poo poo, no tread left and felt like a giant hockey puck.

I kept getting messages saying "what size is the tire" or another saying "oh cool I need a tire for my cherokee" and "why is the tire no good I need a tire"

So just to make sure the person that eventually picked it up didn't try to use it, I punched a bunch of knife holes in the sidewall so it wouldn't hold air, because I'm pretty sure someone would have tried to use it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anything for free/that I don't want to bother selling for $10 gets a free section CL ad that states"it's going to be at this address on *night before trash day*. Don't knock on my door or ask for help loading it. I'll take this down when I notice it's gone but if you don't see it, assume it's gone."

So far, so good. Don't deal with CL people if you don't have to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a tempting way to do it, but I don't really want to give out my address unless i know someone is coming for sure.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a tempting way to do it, but I don't really want to give out my address unless i know someone is coming for sure.

that's why i listed the cross street of an alley, but the CL weirdo still found me

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I'd rather have some control about who is coming, and when if I'm doing CL.

If it's something I'm giving away, I have a sign made up that says FREE and I'll put it by the road. Sometimes even stuff that you'd think is garbage, like old construction materials and crappy old furniture. I watched a guy fit most of the upper kitchen cabinets from my grandma's house that got torn down into the back seat and truck of a Mercedes sedan.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I live in a city on a fairly main road so it's no difference to me who drives past. Free sign and CL free listing... There's not much difference since there's no interaction anyway.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nitrox posted:

Aren't those things essentially a road king with different body panels?

I'm not sure which HD the Gilroy-era Indians were closest too, but they were pretty similar. That said, I had one for a while, it was fine and I bought it because I wanted an American cruiser that wasn't a HD.

The Spirit Lake Polaris bikes are based on what Polaris learned from making Victory motorcycles.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A buddy of mine says if he wants something gone really quickly, he puts it on his front lawn with a “X for sale for $20” sign on it. It’s usually gone within a couple of hours. He said if he puts a “free” sign on it it’ll sit for several days.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PeterCat posted:

I'm not sure which HD the Gilroy-era Indians were closest too, but they were pretty similar. That said, I had one for a while, it was fine and I bought it because I wanted an American cruiser that wasn't a HD.

The Spirit Lake Polaris bikes are based on what Polaris learned from making Victory motorcycles.
I'm drowning in noise when trying to Google this information. But from the looks of things, Gilroy Indians were built with many Harley parts, including the Evo engine, front forks, switchgear and God knows where else. I never took one apart, but I've worked on Harleys. And they look like a mirror image, with fancier fenders.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mr. Apollo posted:

A buddy of mine says if he wants something gone really quickly, he puts it on his front lawn with a “X for sale for $20” sign on it. It’s usually gone within a couple of hours. He said if he puts a “free” sign on it it’ll sit for several days.

I always wondered if that was urban legend. Anything that is made of metal will be gone by sunrise by my curb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Our neighbors left a washer out at the end of their driveway for 3 weeks before they got cited for it. Meanwhile the guy directly across from me left some metal railings on the side of his house that he intended to reuse and they got swiped overnight.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nitrox posted:

I'm drowning in noise when trying to Google this information. But from the looks of things, Gilroy Indians were built with many Harley parts, including the Evo engine, front forks, switchgear and God knows where else. I never took one apart, but I've worked on Harleys. And they look like a mirror image, with fancier fenders.

Well the good thing is it makes parts easier to get now that that iteration of Indian went out of business.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Colostomy Bag posted:

I always wondered if that was urban legend. Anything that is made of metal will be gone by sunrise by my curb.
There are always trucks driving around my neighborhood the day before garbage day picking up small appliances, TVs, and scrap metal that’s been put out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I live in a city on a fairly main road so it's no difference to me who drives past. Free sign and CL free listing... There's not much difference since there's no interaction anyway.

Something about putting their address on the Internet makes people get weird, like god forbid somebody on the other side of town might learn the address of "some guy who has an old Laserjet on the curb". I do it all the time, and most things get picked up within a couple hours. I really appreciate it when people reply to the ad saying they've picked it up; any other emails get ignored.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't care about my address, it just seems like putting it on the curb and on an internet posting up for grabs is asking for conflict. I don't want to deal with someone who's pissed because the thing left 5 minutes ago "and I drove all this way". But then, I've never had an issue just leaving stuff out, either.

People are nuts. You do what works, bud.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/193320075448353/
2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited
Customized

Title: Clean
Miles:130,000
Transmission: Automatic
MPG: 19 City / 25 Highway
2.4 Liter
None Turbo
4 Cylinder

-Backup Camera
-Trunk Corgo Cover Folds Into Mini Table
-All Power
-Keyless Entry
-Heated Seats
-Leather and Cloth Interior
-Cruise Control
-Driver Power Seat
-Radio
-CD
-AUX
-USB
-Much more to list...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cripes I know it was 2002 but was the MPG that effing bad?

Cripes my M275 towing a luxo barge around cranks out 22 on the highway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

That is disappointing. It's not even the turbo variant.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wasn't the PT Cruiser rated as a small truck or something to get around MPG requirements?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's original rating was 19 city, 25 highway. 17/23 is the new rating.

KakerMix posted:

Wasn't the PT Cruiser rated as a small truck or something to get around MPG requirements?

Yeah, it's in the "Sport Utility Vehicle - 2WD" class. Same as the Ford Expedition. Even the Dodge Caliber is in "small station wagons"

e:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 11, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol, it sits in rarified air.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
This little guy broke my neck today. Stopped and walked up to it, and it comes up to my belly button. I'm 5'5.

I want it.

In case you want it too

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was the Volvo behind it for sale too?

Asking for a friend...

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

Was the Volvo behind it for sale too?

Asking for a friend...

Have to believe so, parked like that! It's out front of a repair shop, I caught their number in the road sign in the first pic, after "Unit D"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NoWake posted:

This little guy broke my neck today. Stopped and walked up to it, and it comes up to my belly button. I'm 5'5.

I want it.

In case you want it too

Oh man, those things are in Chicago?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
McHenry, so in the metro-ish area. Yes I saw some rust bubbles on the mini :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NoWake posted:

McHenry, so in the metro-ish area. Yes I saw some rust bubbles on the mini :(

Oh man, that's even closer! :psyduck:

Maybe I'll just go stuff it in my pocket and sneak it home. I should be able to hide that from the wife, yeah?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

$17.5k :eyepop:

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Not CraigsList, but w-what the gently caress is this?
https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/v...LDz48z-b7G70rNs

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ooh ooh! I know what that is! A waste of money!

Seriously though, were they going for a 50's sort of look or what? I don't know.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Looks like a 'new' t bird but with Porsche headlights

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wesleywillis posted:

Looks like a 'new' t bird but with Porsche headlights

Actually they look like the factory lights but it's got an entirely different front bumper/grille that makes it look completely stupid. Obviously everything behind that is terrible as well.

I feel like Ford was actually close to making a cool car with the final T-bird but they ended up loving the dog and what should have been a great send-off to a classic model ended up as a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I thought it was a sky or solstice made into a kit car because the chrome windshield surround and generally looking bad. Yikes