Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

el topo posted:

I looked up "1965 Cadillac" on GIS and saw just how incredibly long a two-door car can be... there's a trunk you can really hide a dozen bodies in!

Yeah, it was kind of obscene how gigantic those old coupes used to be ('60s and '70s models). Loooooong hood, looong doors, looong trunk. It pisses me off that nobody makes cars that are so flagrantly and gratuitously impractical anymore. (SUVs and exotics excepted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

belt posted:

I know this is cliche as gently caress but this is exactly what that things face would look like.

WTF are those nozzle-looking things above the step? Is it trying to look like the most retarded fire truck in existence?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

You should pay him for being so awesome that he bought an $85K chevy.

An "85k" Chevy "Z06", that was not an available model in 2005, and also was not available as a convertible. It's a scam.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Hillridge posted:

If someone nearby buys this I will lend as much free labor as possible to make this look like Optimus Prime.

Woah, why do that Transformer poo poo when this is just perfect to be finished out as a "BJ and the Bear" clone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AsqKQptTdQ

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

PhilMcRevis posted:

Click here for the full 1113x942 image.

Dodge Dakota truck complete with old woman holding folder and small children.

Not a bad deal.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I have a completely irrational desire to buy this car because my Grandpa bought one just like it new in 1978 and drove it until just before he past away in 1995. So many good memories and the drat thing was incredibly comfortable.

If you want a classic Buick, this ain't it. For a properly massive road barge, look for something like a '71-74 Electra 225 with the 455.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 15, 2010

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm looking at these two, I'll let ya'll know if they look good after I go check them out. I want a land yacht and these fit that pretty drat well.

and

What year is that Buick? I'm thinking '73-75... keep in mind the 455 got weaker every year. But I enjoyed driving my mom's 1974 Electra sometimes, many years ago. Quiet, smooooooth ride, and torque like a bulldozer.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Is this a common thing for people to claim?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1826539627.html

Click here for the full 1377x1184 image.

Car has 56,600 original miles regardless of error on car facts.

If it really has an original 5.7L/L98 engine (extremely unlikely) it might be worth something, as supposedly only about 50 (fifty) 1986 IROCs were made with that motor, and only for testing. It wasn't a regular option until '87.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Phantom LOLbooth posted:

What is all this ridiculous hate? My first car was a 1988 Buick Skylark Limited and it was awesome. I liked the way the car looked, the digital dashboard was awesome, and the car was very comfortable. The Quad-4 engine was peppy as heck, and I had that car up to 116mph before what I assume was the electronic governor kicked in.

Buicks in general are considered boring cars for old people, and the Skylark, being the cheapest low-end Buick at the time, is considered to be a car for nerds and people old before their time. And frankly, the Skylarks were pretty fugly cars in the '80s.

If you were a cool kid and wanted something similar in the GM line, you would have gotten something like a Quad4 Grand Am, instead of the Buick. Although it was the same car, the ribbed plastic cladding and lack of chrome made the Grand Am less of an old man's car.

Also, I'm guessing you didn't own that Skylark for a very long time, because over the long run, the Quad4 had a reputation for being troublesome.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

slidebite posted:

88 GTA Notchback

:stare:

I had no idea this existed. I mean I was big into the 3rd gen F-bodies and I never even heard of this. Was this a Canada thing?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2147024779.html

Best misspellings I've seen in quite some time.

"Loncolnark VII" should totally be a real model, I'd buy one

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Tai-Pan posted:

Only $17,000 for a 25 year old Cadillac? Whats more, its powered by what might be the second least reliable engine to power a Cadillac? Tell me more about this fine automobile.

I live within pretty easy driving distance of this guy. I almost feel like going to look at this car just to mess with the seller.

"Blue Book Value $31,000" my rear end. Maybe in Monopoly money.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Viggen posted:

360k on that.. and a 5 digit odo. No grill, and no internal shots. Dear god, that thing's just :angel:

I think "360" in the ad refers to engine size (360 ci) and the 904 is the transmission type (Torqueflite).

Fully restored, those early '70s Javelins look amazing.

Edit: like this, although I could do without the pinstripes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1974_AMC_Javelin_AMX_black_front.JPG

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Can't stop laughing at this. This is a literal pile of rust and junk.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Oooh, my driver's ed class used one of these from the early '80s. It was red, slow, and everyone hated to drive it. The other car in the class (I forget what it was) was much more popular, even though it was also something lovely like a Pontiac 6000.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Maybe he bought it from the same dealer as the $40k Altima from a few years back.

A $40k+ lease on an Altima.

That one easily makes my short list of best SA threads in the time I've been here.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

Goofy idle, wacky ignition timing, and a power steering pump who's a loose cannon add up to a hilarious driving experience!

At least you'll die laughing

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

thecobra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFf0Lq_k19Q

I really wish I had known that my ex's firebird was actually meant for speeding down beaches.

I wonder if damage caused by driving through OCEAN SURF like that is covered by warranty.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Turbo domestics from the '80s in red and black. Yes.

drat, I haven't seen a Lancer since... hell, I can't remember. Back in the '80s I remember the turbo models as being pretty cool, and nicely priced.

But yeah, even with Shelby gone, 39k for a Lancer is whack.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I love that this is technically a coupe. It may be longer than a modern full-sized 4-door sedan, but it has two doors so it's a coupe.

I also miss these extravagant chrome-laden '70s coupes with giant overhangs, pushing 20 feet long. They just exude FYGM excess and an utter indifference to efficiency and practicality.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

blk posted:

16/26? Was that from an Iron Duke?

I think the '87 SE would have come with the 2.8 V6.

Edit: it looks like the SE trim could come either way. I would think the iron duke would be better than 16 mpg city.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Mighty Horse posted:

Inherit a boring car from Granddad?

Find out the made a rare performance model of that car?

At the time, the turbo models of the Spirit were a lot of bang for the buck. But I wonder what balls it took to drive at the claimed top speed of 142 mph.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How easy is it to just put an LS1/LS2/LS3 whatever with a modern transmission into a 3rd gen F-body? I mean the original motor doesn't matter that much, I don't see them as being the kind of car where you care if the numbers match.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The $40k Altima lease. Gotta be in my top 5 SA threads of all time. If it was fake please don't tell me.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How "easy" is it to drop something like an LS1 or LS2 with a modern transmission into a mid/late 70s C3 Vette? Cuz I still dig that body style, and the worst years of that generation are still halfway affordable.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

kastein posted:

I decided to play the CL "invested" drinking game

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5846182703.html

I'd buy that for $8500. If it was completely assembled, running, painted, restored interior, cold AC, smog-certifed, and updated with an LS1 and a modern transmission.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Maybe some of them belonged to Jon Voight.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Ricardo Montalban has (had) enough swag to sell anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ec26KB43tc

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same year Countach for reference:

Those enormous side-sills, and the way the footwells narrow down. Not sure how my size 13 feet would fit in there.

Still want.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

edit: it also looked pretty good with mid-70s Olds Rallye IIs with no trim rings:

Oh god, In my dreams I see THAT CAR just ripping rear end through a schoolyard at recess, with Death behind the wheel laughing. It wants to kill

Edit: Parked on Slaughter Ln, nice

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 22, 2017

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

shoncook posted:

I'd pondered a thread, but the progress on EVERY project I have has been glacial recently thanks to building a Lemons car. Which raced this last weekend! And didn't blow up! And was probably the slowest car on the track!

Holy poo poo, do you get a lot of "Would you have any Grey Poupon?" jokes? You should keep a jar in the glovebox just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5EZwanClY

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's a Turbo 944, so I do. They considerably more expensive in good condition.

Isn't it some kind of rule or guideline that all Porsches cost at least $10,000? Meaning if you buy one for less, you will need to spend the difference to make it reliable enough to actually drive regularly.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Didn't even spell "DeLorean" right

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sex Weirdo posted:

Holy moly look at this

I suddenly want a drag racing league that co-opts the flamboyant characters and tropes of pro wrestling. Crazy, themed cars and even crazier drivers.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Thats why you needed the 4WS (4-wheel-steering) version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kjrcmbefo

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The rush to optimize everything to be sold to everyone at the expense of being interesting to anyone is really frustrating.

Why does this rugged "off-road vehicle" come on low-profile performance tires that look like they belong on a Camaro?

(And on the opposite end of the scale, why does Ford put narrow and mushy 235/50 all-seasons on the base Mustang GT?)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Cadillac seems all hosed up. The ATS platform had great handling, but they crippled it with a lousy interior and weak powertrain options. No Cadillac should come with an overstrained turbo 4, and the NA V6 doesn't have enough torque or power. To get the decent engines you've got to go all the way to the extremely costly V series. Why doesn't Cadillac make a compact/midsize RWD sport-ish sedan with a torquey, 350+ HP turbo V6 as standard equipment, and a decent interior, somewhere around the 45-50k price point? Basically, the ATS-V is what the "standard" version needed to be, for 10 or 20k less.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 13, 2020

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Frond posted:

I like the MN12 cars.

My first new car was a '91 T-bird, with the 5.0 that was optional that year. It was a nice looking car, sleek in metallic Electric Red, with a good ride and smooth (if not fast) V8, RWD performance. In almost every other way, it was lovely. Weak, non-ABS brakes (drums in the rear). Right off the bat I had problems with the paint peeling from the bumpers, the air conditioning failed every 6-12 months, and the AOD transmission got really lurchy at about 12,000 miles. The interior dash and door panels had awful hard plastics with crazy gaps, and tons of rattles and squeaks. It was kept covered or garaged, but after 3-4 years the black trimwork was fading and bubbling. It put me off Fords for 20 years.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Ror posted:

Speaking of basically brand new cars, I keep seeing this at the top when I sort used manuals near me by mileage.

If anyone was wondering, the '82 Z28 with a manual trans was only available with a 145 HP, carbed 305 V8. According to this road test, it could do 0-60 in 9.7 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 17.5 sec.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27761/archived-comparo-chevrolet-camaro-z28-vs-ford-mustang-gt/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Oh, if it was a late-third-gen IROC with a transplanted LS2 or something I'd be drooling all over it (but not at that price).