Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

The Rocket Salad posted:

Here's a nice polluted tract in scenic South Jersey, contaminated with some Air Cooled ephemera.

More pics in the ad, and the photos in the ad link to a photobucket album. Doesn't look like any floorpans can be saved, but lots of trim and glass, and who know what go-fast parts might be hiding under some of those hoods...

As someone who recently got the air cooled itch, this poo poo makes me sadface. The white Ghia especially so, there's pretty much no saving that car. Not worth it.

It's been pretty hilarious looking at ads for split window vans too. $4k for a rusty non running, not complete car. Bad sadly that seems to be a legit price :( And holy gently caress balls the price of "Correct" barn doors. Yes sir, I want to spend 60+k on a 6volt 36hp van. Yep.

(I just don't quite get some facets of these things. I can't see the value in keeping everything factory original when doing things a bit different make it a much more usable car. But I don't want to own a museum piece either, so that's why.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

If I had even the slightest need, I'd be at this guys door with $3K in an hour. Hell, you could probably get it for $2000 or so considering it looks like an estate liquidation.

Looks clean as hell and super low mileage. Grandpa(RIP) probably got it serviced every few months at Ford too I bet.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1988-Mercury-Grand-Marquis-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ275035999

Having owned a Town Car I cannot substantiate the claims of 35mpg. 25 was a drat good day on the freeway.

Would be a good buy though if you were into a big gas guzzling saloon. I had my phase.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Yep. Color? Naw. Who made it? Pfft. It's little. It's got a USB charger. Buy this poo poo.

VW with a Porche engine! Well, technically yeah, but probably not really a 914 engine, probably just a stocker 1600cc Type 4 engine that they started throwing in them in 1972. Honestly kind of curious what he'd take for it, but probably thinks it's worth 5k+, which it's not.

Hooray projects.

This thing won't fold in on itself or anything, since the roof wasn't a major part of the car's structure, right? Oh... you mean the convertibles had extra steel to compensate for not having a roof? Oh well, it'll be fine guys.

I hate seeing chopped bugs :(

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

madattheinternet posted:

Usually a guy like this will count replacing tires, timing belts, batteries, fluids and gas as they are consumed as upgrades.

And there's that aftermarket wheel, those gauges, that head unit, probably the pedals, and the cold air intake. I'm sure he didn't install them himself, so when you add in outrageous labor, you could get pretty close to $6k for all of that.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Tongsy posted:

This is pure gold, these cars are sweet
G'dang, that is a sweet deal. A goon needs to buy this and regale us with their shenanigans.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

No cool Datsuns for sale in my area right now. Just a couple of guys relisting their horrible project cars that need way too much work and are asking way too much for them.

Really wish I could snag this bug tho! $1500 for a running 63 with a 40 horse motor? That thing could be true gold, if there isn't a lot of pan rust.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Possible gold, on my way to look at a 500 buck running with title 67 bug. Let you know how that pans out.

Make sure the floor pans are in good shape and you probably did find gold. If they're bad, it's still a pretty good deal. Also, if you can check the frame head.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Its gonna need a tow, pedal assembly is frozen solid. Pretty extensive pan and drivers side rot but it does have spare metal and parts included though. On the other hand it was very complete and had popouts. Could part it out and make money, or sacrifice my sanity to try to get it roadworthy. Considering offering 300 due to the rot and needing a tow.

Ouch. Yeah, you would be better off parting it out then. I'd actually be really interested in the popouts, because they should fit my 74. And you can get a few hundred for a running engine, and a hundred or two for the trans axle.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Hah, I asked the 'Trap about that and we decided it was time for a new one whenever I get myself something worth making a project for. No worries, there shall be misadventures when the time is right.

Seriously though, if you get it I'd love me them pop outs. The buffeting noise from not having them in my bug is annoying. Although I suppose shipping might be an issue, I'm in AZ, and have no idea where you're at in this world.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

tween_spirit posted:

Going back to CT this weekend and I really want to go check this out, I feel like it'll go pretty quickly at that price.

BMW 320i

This was my first car. Well, mine was an 82 titled as an 83, which was an issue when it came time to replacing the drive shaft.

Check all the rubber bits you can. Vac hoses under the hood, and if you can get under the car the flex disk between the tranny and drive shaft, and the guibo-jigger that supports the drive shaft in the tunnel. These things are annoying to replace, and are wear items.

Clearance between things on the underside of the car is a complete pain in the rear end. Outside of the fact that they crammed things too closely together, the car is pretty easy to work on. It is not however fast. It feels fast though because its small and drives kinda like a go-kart.

The engine is an m10, not e21. e21 is the model code for the 3 series between 77 and 83 by the way. m10's are stupidly hard to kill. Mine wasn't making contact between the head and the headgasket in 3 spots due to someone not bothering with proper coolant and using straight water instead before I got it. I had a buddy who ran one on 3 cylinders for a couple years before he replaced it with an m42 (don't do this unless you're good at custom fab work. I'm not).

In short, I'd kinda love to have one again. I'd offer $1500 if everything checks out. No one collects these except really weird people, and people with 2002s steal parts from them all the time (namely 5-speeds and limited slip diffs).

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Can you critique this one?:
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/2605517151.html

That's a lovely and pristine looking example. I'd be willing and happy to pay for that one provided the rubber in the driveline is in good shape. Hell, I'd probably buy it even if it wasn't, since he took care of the gas tanks. It also has bitchin euro bumpers, and the install job was good. Those suckers from what I recall were around $200 a piece. The recaro front seats are also really nice pieces and quite pricy to try and get aftermarket.

A little worried about the engine knock at high rpm though. I've not heard of that symptom before. Could be something as simple as motor mounts, or the engine might need to be rebuilt with new bearings...

It's worth noting I guess that the 83 had a weaker 3 piece transmission, and the 80-82 had the "stronger" 2 piece 5 speed. But if you're not going to push more than 200hp through it, it shouldn't be a problem. And these cars only make 105ish stock on a good day, so you should be pretty safe.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The body is in good shape, which is nice around here. I'm surprised that he didn't have that dent on the door pulled - couldn't be more than 100 give how simple the curve is there. I asked and he doesn't know about the guibo. Might be easy enough to feel if it's really sloppy if I end up seeing it. A few people are interested and one guy seeing it before me tomorrow.

The 1" spacers to run those wheels concerns me. I couldn't get a straight answer about if he was running superlong lugbolts to reach the hub. I assume you'd have to. On a 2400lb car, maybe it wouldn't be as bad, but still, 1" spacers.

Yeah, the sad news about aftermarket wheels on e21s is that they typically don't work well. You can find some nice ones that will work without spacers, but you have to look around for a while.

I'd be worried about the lugbolts as well. Lugbolts are soooo annoying to deal with anyway :(

You'll know pretty easily if there is an issue with the guibo when you take it for a test drive. If you accellerate hard and there's an awesome pounding knocking kind of sound coming from the trans tunnel the rubber has worn out. (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Guibo/E36-Guibo.htm figures 9, 10, and 16 are pictures of what I'm talking about. Guess I'm calling it the wrong thing. Yes I know it's for an e36, but the same kind of crap is under an e21)

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

How do they mount the rad and route the hoses in a Subaru swap?

I know a lot of the VW guys who do it to bugs run metal exhaust pipes up to the front and mount a radiator up there. In the late models that had air conditioning, that's where they would put the condensers.

Depending on the costs of the mounting plates to get the transmissions to mate to the subbie engines, the swaps wouldn't be that bad.

I've seen some guys who have done subbie swaps on ACVWs for under $4k for everything. They're usually just swapping in the non-turbo motors though, ej22's if I recall correctly.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

or cl search 653csi and pick through the 6 results. I didn't black it out for this forum specifically.

Anywho... I think he forgot a 0 but I've got an appointment to go see it tomorrow anyway.

I kind of doubt he did. I've seen a number of these for sub 3k even in my area. All of them need work, and some of the parts are going to be harder to come by. Although there should be a decent chunk of stuff shared between similar era 5 and 7 series (driveline particularly) some of it is gonna be 6 series only and a pain to track down.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Take off the spoiler and get a stock hood and that car might actually be worth while. You'd really want to look into how well that swap was done though. Oh, and you may want to redo the interior to get rid of the stupid yellow.

e30s, the M3's particularly are so drat boxy and sexy to me, because they try to have little curves and it's cute.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Crustashio posted:

S5x is actually a pretty common e30 M3 swap as it is reliable as hell, more powerful, and cheaper to maintain. I think S5x swaps should be left to standard e30s, but people can do what they want.

That car though, has an M5x unless for some reason they installed the M5x engine covers on the motor.
glad to know that it wasn't a real m3 that got this treatment then. I would then say that this care has a more realistic value of somewhere between 5 and 10k on the high end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

This person is either a complete idiot or trying to commit insurance fraud

Wow. I've also driven a theft recovered Neon, which was a friends and I was running some errands with and for him. A key cylinder that can pop out is a weird thing to deal with man. But this doesn't even have that.

Considering the dealings I've had with some people lately, I'm going with complete idiot, who thinks he got lucky that the owner kept everything in the glove box.