Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cop posted:

For only $5,500 this is totally worth it!

I've always had kind of a daydream that one day I'll buy a fire truck and drive it across the country to get it home. I haven't done it recently, but it used to be if you did a search for fire trucks on e-bay you'd get several dozen decent results; all kinds of classic-looking trucks in running condition. I have no idea if you need a Class A or Class B license to drive some of those things, but if you don't... what a sweet ride that'd be.

Yup, a quick check confirms: search eBay Motors for "fire truck" and you'll get over 200 results; most of them are some kind of stupid tail lights or something, but there's still dozens of actual fire trucks mixed in.

Such as, say, this 1929 GMC Fire Truck:

Or this 1950 Pumper:

Edit:
This '55 Ford F900 is up for $1800, no reserve, no bids yet:

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://let
Title of the post means nobody who searches on "porsche" will find this listing;
Worthless blurry cellphone photos
No mileage
...no price?

Click here for the full 829x690 image.

And for this one:
Someone tell me if a rusted-out 67 porsche frame with a hideous, scavenged engine is worth $2800?
And you've gotta love that comment about 'small area of rust' right above the photo of giant expanses of rust on the hood.
Must be gone by Thursday!!

Click here for the full 861x892 image.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ElehemEare posted:

This looks nice enough and all, but really? First oil change EVER? You've got to be making GBS threads me.

He changed the oil at 5000km. Considering I change the oil in my car every 5000 miles, that sounds pretty much fine to me.

Edit: except, yeah, I guess after almost 20 years or so it's time for a change.

I'd bet the bike got used for 5000km, garaged for ten years, and then oil changed last month to see if it still works before selling it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Craigslist is where that gives you an advantage. Ebay has categories by brand. The idiots only have to be able to READ the brand name, not SPELL it. The only exception to this is when you see things going into "other makes" that are not other makes.

Of course, it works for things other than cars on Ebay.

I've done it with computers, particularly back before HP bought Compaq. Just search for "compac" and "Compak" and "compact" and so forth. You'd get a combination of misspelled make-up compacts and compaq computers, always with zero bids.

Of course, I never actually bought the things, because buying a used computer and having it shipped to you is pretty risky, but it is a viable method.

Heh. Like, for example, Search eBay for 'Porche'. I got 108 hits.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 21, 2008

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dinurth posted:

You can't make poo poo like this up:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/888404107.html
Screencapped for posterity:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"it has hit plenty of road barrels on the free way."

You know, those big barrels full of water they put on offramps and road splits, so you hit them instead of going head on into a sharp triangle-shaped concrete wall.

They managed to hit them.

Sideways.

Several times.

Edit: the thing is, though? $350. If the actual frame is still intact, it's worth that.

Hell, it probably has enough recyclable steel in it that it's worth that just for scrap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PEOPLE please post a screengrab! Auctions go away, some people come read the thread a week or two later, your poo poo is useless.

ursa_minor posted:

Yo check out dis Lexus Cressida, it's like a drifter but with more luxury.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/934755365.html

no screenshot; ad is gone.

Kurten posted:

Oh god I want another van like this...must fight urge...
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/928719019.html

Click here for the full 785x651 image.

No screenshot: ad is gone.
A text-only ad:

craigslist posted:

1967 Cadillac - $400 (I-10 & Jackrabbit)
Reply to: sale-927868733@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-20, 9:08PM MST

1967 Cadillac Sedan Deville hardtop. When all windows are down there is no post, it looks great! My uncle bought this car 15 years ago when it was cherry. It stopped running so it sat in a field in buckeye for the last few years. Arizona car since new with no rust. Has surface-rust from faded primer which can easily be sanded off. A couple years ago I boiled the gas tank, replaced fuel lines, pump, filter, plugs, etc to get it running but it didn't run well. I pulled the heads and found that the heads were bad. All trim and chrome is perfect, body is straight, all glass is perfect, interior is decent. Needs motor, but has 429 with heads/intake in trunk. This car is a money tree of parts! I could sell it for scrap for what I am asking! Call Kevan before I sell it to Al for parts! (623) 523 2599

Image upload is down, http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/919540317.html for pics
* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 927868733

Kurten posted:

Here's one for lobsterboy:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/914750771.html

Click here for the full 784x782 image.

Kurten posted:

Now for the dumb ones:

ONE OWNER (drunk right now)

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/911146692.html
Ad is gone

Kurten posted:

BUY THIS STOLEN CAR

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/931754914.html

Click here for the full 793x778 image.

Kurten posted:

"doesn't need much"

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/917275914.html

Click here for the full 794x809 image.

el topo posted:

Again it's Ebay and not Craigslist, but they are listing one... apparently it's so long the seller hasn't managed to get it all in the one picture.

Click here for the full 1041x819 image.

Click here for the full 1004x760 image.

Click here for the full 896x620 image.

Francis Baconator posted:

Cheap, decent old car alert for Fargo and Minnesota goons:

1962 Ford Galaxie: $700
http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/906101594.html

Click here for the full 771x780 image.

1966 Ford Ranchero: $500
http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/917931400.html

Click here for the full 789x824 image.

1952 International: $900
http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/906172607.html
Text only ad:

craigslist posted:

1952 International - $900 (fargo)
Reply to: sale-906172607@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-11-04, 8:10PM CST

If you are interested in this item please contact Matt at 612-719-3980 this truck was parked in 1998 I have a clean title it also has a dump box

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 906172607

1959 Ford Fairlane: $600
http://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/904060884.html
Ad is gone.

el topo posted:

Anyone looking for a BMW Isetta? And by that I mean an Isetta that has had "some mods done to it", is missing side windows and the roof panel, has some holes in the body (filled) and in the floor (not filled)? Also to quote the seller, "As the pics. show, moving it is no problem, as it fits easily into the back of a truck" (does it even run?). Ebay goodness.
This one is still going, with about a day left, at a current bid of US$860.

Click here for the full 917x807 image.

Click here for the full 968x751 image.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1113899725.html

Something about the horse's face cracks me up.

Hey yeah this is hilarious, I'm totally cracking up too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No but see he just spent $8000 on it so it must be worth more than that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Speleothing posted:

I want to contact this person so that I can kill him and destroy his stupid car. Would that be inappropriate?

Ohhh god yes I bet this sound system sounds amazing!

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Clearly a performance driving machine here. Clean wiring! Things painted blue!

The racing seats help you handle the g-forces from its incredible cornering...

...on steelies! Cracked bodywork. Extra-terrible aerodynamics on the body kit. Dented driver-side door. Aftermarket taillights!

Peeling rattlecan matte black! Suspicious foglights! Random dangling doohickies!

But this interior is just the best. "Custom work done to the interior":

-manual everything
-blue electrical tape on the steering wheel
-random wires and cords poking out everywhere
-wonder what that wire is going over the top of the handbrake
-custom gear shift knob! (incredibly dodgy-looking install)
-visible liquid stains on the steel floorplates!
-satnav, possibly! (note: blocks access to climate controls, but that's OK cause they probably don't work)
-used kleenex!

God drat. This one's just a real gem isn't it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like how in that last shot, the rightmost instrument in the cluster looks like it's a huge red warning sign that says "CANCER"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know if you guys are all keenly aware of this these days, but historically there's been a teeny bit of tension between the Irish and the English. So, painting Irish motifs all over an English bike might be seen by some as a bit, uh, cheeky.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

Not exactly craigslist:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984...=item4149dd1dc3

Oohhhhhhhh my god it's a bendy bus.

I grew up in san francisco, and since my mom doesn't drive (eyesight problem) I grew up taking the bus. These old 80s busses all have a highly-distinctive exhaust note that is permanently ingrained into my brain - I can hear an 80s MUNI bus coming from blocks away.

Pretty much the whole fleet has been replaced by now, mostly with hybrids and poo poo that don't sound right, so it's been years since I actually heard a real MUNI bus.

And better yet it's a bendy bus. There's seats in the bendy-part, which is a big round section of floor that the two halves of the bus articulate around. My favorite place to sit as a kid.

These busses also have pneumatic "kneeling" capability, to put the stairs right down at the curb the whole front of the bus raises and lowers. They also have folding stairs with a wheelchair lift up front.

San Francisco is a maze of small twisty streets and the drivers who manage these busses around the city are incredible.

Mind you. These busses put on like 100,000+ miles a year. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear this old bus has 2+ million miles on it. Very much doubt it's the first engine, either. They serviced them constantly and professionally of course, but even so, a bus that old, even in great shape, saw constant daily abuse for at least 15 years.

I want it so bad. I'm sure I'd need like a class B or A license to drive it, and it'd be ruinous in gas, and where in the gently caress would I park a 60 foot bus, but stiiiiilll I wannnnnnt it.

Jack the Smack you made my day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, the s-10 blazer was badged as a 'blazer'. It's actually pretty understandable if someone is looking for a blazer, that they'll get a lot of s-10 results. Kinda stupid to get upset about it. The model-years don't overlap so he should just search on the full-size Blazer model years wait why am I typing this,

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheFonz posted:

How does this person remember to breathe?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/1479555669.html

Pictures, please. Take a screenshot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is dragging a metal tractor blade that tills the street behind you, creating a furrow for planting things in the asphalt. Or at least it did this previously.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wouldn't it fold in half if you took the roof off? Even if its body-on-frame, it's sooo looong. In my head it'd just sag down and scrape the road, roofless.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Member since december 2000; 2 feedback. 3 transactions total.

"One of these days" I'm gonna sell a bunch of my junk. (That's been my litany for a decade now.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Genuine Gold! 1961 Borgward Hansa Combi Wagon - $1500 (mendocino county)

quote:

Honestly I have over $2k in this neat wagon. Most of these were sold as Goliaths or Lloyds, but the last 50 or so were badged by the (failing) parent company as Borgward. This super rare weird wagon is a great California project. Excellent German quality. Has a four cylinder water cooled boxer motor. I have been told that it uses a VW 36 horse cam and crank, and that Subaru bought the blueprints in the early sixties. It's front wheel drive.

The engine starts and runs, but the car will need brakes, and lots of tlc at a MINIMUM. I have not tried to drive it.

Very straight body. Lots of surface rust but I don't see any cancer at all. Doors fit tight. I have the front bumper and grille, they look like they have been involved in a fender bender.

Interior is original and real nice given the age, does need a headliner, tho. As you can see the gauges are missing, don't know why. All the wagon only interior side and trim pieces are there, and in good shape. A million times neater than a Squareback, with the cool sedan delivery, hearse style back door.

Make OFFER. Open to trades, especially Fiat (500 in pics is not for sale), Renault 4CV, Vespa, Honda, Cushman scooter, BSA Victor, Hillman, Morris Minor , or ?? I can provide a bill of sale, only. Lloyd, Goliath, Gasser, DKW

This is an incredibly rare car, particularly in the US.

Wikipedia:
"Borgward was a German automobile manufacturer founded by Carl F. W. Borgward (November 10, 1890 - July 28, 1963). The company was based in Bremen. The Borgward group eventually produced four brands of cars: Borgward, Hansa, Goliath and Lloyd."

"Financial problems appeared because Carl Borgward allowed the different makes to act independently, practicing no joint development or sharing of parts. While Borgward pioneered technical novelties in the German market such as air suspension and automatic transmission, the four makes competed against companies like Opel and VW that increased production yearly and lowered prices. Borgward suffered quality problems as well. The Lloyd Arabella was technically advanced as a water-cooled boxer with front wheel drive, but plagued with problems such as water leakage and gearbox glitches. Although Lloyd lost money on the car it was more expensive than the direct competitors.

In 1961 the company was forced into liquidation by creditors though Carl Borgward insisted the company was solvent. Events proved him right, and all the creditors were fully paid. In 1963 all manufacturing equipment for the Borgward Isabella and P100 was sold to Mexico. In July 1963 Carl Borgward died, two years after the company's bankruptcy.

The German magazine Der Spiegel reports in 1965 that, with a little help, the Borgward company could have easily overcome its problems in 1961. Apparently the company didn't have to go bankrupt at all.[1]"

"Approximately 487 wagons were assembled after the official closing of the plant (Summer '61) between 1961 & 1963 using a surplus of parts..." (source).

I think this is one of them. It has a running engine, although obviously needs body work, gauges, brakes, and significant interior work too. And probably wasn't that reliable when it was "new", assembled from spare parts...

It's the ultimate in masochistic AI Projects and if I wasn't married I'd be there buying that thing tomorrow. Please, some stupid greasemonkey, please fulfill my dreams by proxy and buy this thing, and then make a Project thread where we can share your misery as you attempt to restore it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Poisonlizard posted:

This cracked me up, I can just imagine some fiberglass resin huffing retard saying this.

Why? If an engine is burning coolant, that's a sign of a blown headgasket, and it'd make sense to pull such an engine and open it up.

Out of everything that is retarded and wrong about that car, that tiny detail seems like it actually makes a lick of sense?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god. "Runs but smokes". How much do you suppose that will cost? Ugh, so tempted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do have a place to keep it. And my wife's parents live down there in Aptos.

But she'd killll meeee, argh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every valve in the engine has its own little teeny turbo maybe, that's pretty special.

I guess 4 cilin is a new antibiotic related to penis cilin.

Also it generates wind!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

and when I think of tow trucks, I think of sexy:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2752841131.html

Hashal posted:

I think this wins the entire thread.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the most amazing thing ever. :monocle:

Goddamnit people, take a screenshot. Whatever this was, it's gone now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2819829914.html

This ruining car has maniacal problems. I think it might be possessed!

I believe the engine capacity may be 195000 ml3, not sure what that is in CCs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

iv46vi posted:

proto-hatchback 50s style with a face only a mother could love
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1959-Dodge-2Dr-Station-Wagon-W0QQAdIdZ363279168

A two door station wagon :confused:

Whose bright idea was that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't have the money for this but I kind of wish I did.

$8k for a car with 500k miles on the clock would seem outrageous, but there's that dude with like four million miles on one who has the Guinness world record so I'm guessing these things last a while.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That red '90 Testarossa has an inline flat 12 that makes a staggering... 380HP. I'm kind of shocked to see that. How much did they cost, new? Was that "supercar" level horsepower in 1990?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lemons car?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3318466388.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In theory, yes. In practice, you can sell off parts to get back down to $500, or you can just fake your paperwork and stuff. If it's a cool and unsual car and not just yet another E36 or whatever, they'll let it slide.

e. Looks like this would be a Sonett III, which if it's really 1970, has the 1500 cc Ford V4 engine in it. Granted it's still a Saab, and a pretty rare car on top of that, but you might be able to get parts and/or do an engine swap. It'd be a cool project.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 8, 2012

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Viggen posted:

Stuff about Sonnets

Thanks for this info. I'm not really serious about buying one (at least not right now: house repairs come first) but someday I do want a cool project so this kind of information really helps to point me in the right direction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Your hooked on rust. The only cure is wire wheels, cutting disks and a welder.

Check into the local reputable body shop for recovery.

No man, the wire wheels, cutting disks and welder are the paraphernalia of the rust addict. They might as well be crack pipes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That says $6400, not $16400. It's still ridiculous, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Well, I e-mailed the guy. I think I'm going to buy it with the business funds and use it as the company car for my candy shop. That way I can write it off on my taxes.

You probably already know this, but there are rules about exactly how you can use and write off a company car. Be sure you know them.

I wonder what the capital depreciation table on a '74 MGB-GT looks like.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cashmere leather? What, is it furry?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

So through the years, I've gone around with my dad as he's bought multiple pickups and cars, he's never had an inspection once. I've bought a used car and a used motorcycle and never had an inspection. Do you just call up a shop and ask if they'll have a look? What should I expect it to run? $100?

It's called a "Pre-Purchase Inspection" (PPI) and most shops will charge something like a half-hour or maybe an hour of labor to do it (so around here, maybe $60 to $120 depending on the shop). More if they don't really want to do it. Many sellers don't really understand that it's a thing, but many do, so it' can't hurt to ask.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For some old-fashioned people, negotiations done in good faith are binding. They don't have the experience with Craigslist that we do necessarily, so they don't always recognize that people will agree to a price over email/phone/whatever, and then 80% don't show up at all and another 15% show up with the expectation that they can still offer a lot less than what was agreed-upon.

So you get people who feel honor-bound to stick to their word, if they agreed to sell a thing for a given price to a stranger they spoke to for 3 minutes on the phone.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The last two or three pages of the thread are covered with links to craigslist posts without photos. You guys are gettin' pretty lazy about taking screenshots.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

The description of what happened to this car cracks me up in a "danger to manifold" kind of way

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3910266249.html

This one is really tempting me.... hmmm

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3876853563.html

Fucknag posted:

"Project cars" are great.

A lifted 89 wrangler for 9 grand.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3879543392.html

I especially like the pearlescent orange transmission that appears to be just resting on a cross brace.

How about a 65 for $15,500?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3919272701.html

Who doesn't want to pay 15 grand for a thrashed J-body?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3836198050.html

YF19pilot posted:

crossposting from terrible;

NE Ohio is terrible for used cars. I'd really like to find a cheap project car, but all I can ever find are stuff like this:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3922345929.html

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

:aaaaa:

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/3877835936.html

Is $13k really even in the ballpark for a car like this? I have no idea

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God drat Studebaker made nothing but beautiful cars, didn't they? I'd go look at the rust yourself and if it's not horrible, offer $5k. It'll be a project car for sure, but hell, just look at that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The PT Cruiser had lovely build quality, terrible handling, terrible interior quality, terrible mileage, terrible performance, bad seating arrangement, and only kind of reasonable crash safety ratings. It was the exemplar of the race to mediocrity pursued by Chrysler during that era; a bald attempt (which succeeded wildly, and what does that say about America) to sell a lovely car based on cheap appeal to nostalgia. For the same price you could have gotten a better car by buying literally anything at that price point from any import marque, including Kia and Hyundai.

But gently caress, it wouldn't have looked vaguely like a classic cruiser! :byodood: