Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Okay, I'm not sure whether this would fall into the 'so cool that I must share it' or the 'so naff that I must share it' category, but share it I must.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/mcy/522090361.html

Look at the ad and tell me that you don't get some sort of crazy lunatic fantasy of rolling around with this thing in the back of a truck with a canopy and having it launch out as some sort of escape pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I've seen the troll pic before, but the rest of that ad is definitely Aussie gold. I do like how he inclued his 'missus' with the auction, after much internal debate - I can't gently caress my ute, but then again, it can probably cook better than her...

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/542553948.html
Some assembly required.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Maybe he has a driveway that just happens to be a 45* incline...

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/car/549017140.html

Honda CRX.
Retarded mileage: Check
Modzz: Check
Rust/Driven in snow: check

Honestly, I wish this guy were an anomaly in my area, but used car prices around here are absolutely loving retarded. I mean, someone's selling a 91 Camry for loving 5 grand. I don't care how nice it is, unless it's sporting a 1UZ or something under the hood, there's no way it justifies that. And a 1990 Civic with nearly half a loving million kilometers on the clock for 1500$. :psyduck:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yessirreeee, positive camber has done wonders for my autocross time. As has this Toyota steering wheel. Wait, make that steering wheel without a boss, that I will likely impale my face upon. :downsgun:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 25, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I guess you're right. Which would mean that either a) it's a different car in the first pic, or b)he swapped a functional frankenstein setup for a non-functional setup.

Either way, the car sounds like a truck when he starts it up, as well as having the telltale knock of a CV going. Yes, it does look like he's driving around w/high beams on. Considering the vehicle, I don't see that as being terribly shocking. I'm surprised he doesn't try to drive it facing backwards in the seat or something.

Damnit, does anyone have a copy of that MSpaint from a couple of months back when someone was being a retard about making the rear seats in their Eclips rear facing? I think it may have been by sigtrap, but I could have been wrong, and it definitely involved a Tetris style rearrangement of seats to accomodate people. I though I had it saved somewhere to illustrate approximately how this guy probably imagined his car functioning.

/offtopic

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Luxmore posted:

probably seen snow twice in its life, and has a 50% chance of having been driven by an 90 year old woman from Oak Bay who never went faster than 20kph.

I wish that wasn't so true. :sigh:

The other 50%, of course, are owned by tweakers from Langford, with 18 dogs, 12 kids, and no knowledge of basic car maintenance.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/550203639.html
NEVER DRIVEN. Seriously guys, they hand carried it off the assembly line, so not a single bearing has moved from original factory specs.

Those 2000km that are on the odo are like the immaculate conception of the automotive world.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

streetlamp posted:

Eeeenglish is not this person's first language

:wtc: Honestly, as a linguist, I'm not supposed to take offence at people doing wierd poo poo with languages, as English has been a bastard language for as long as it has been spoken, but... 'kall' 'thenks' and 'exselent kondeshen'

It almost looks like they were using some sort of hosed up speech-to-text program, and had it set to german or something.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Here's some gold, although more in the gently caress YEAH! sense, than in the :laugh: way. A WWII era Enfield, in RUNNING condition. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/556074992.html

If I was a bigger masochist (than I already am), I'd be all over this.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yes, you'd hate yourself for buyin an auto Sierra. They did sell them with a stick, and prices on those cars are almost never high, because most people running them aren't of the "I drive a touring car!" mindset.

Also, does anyone have a link to that Vayner video that isn't on veoh? It doesn't like playing for me in Opera or Firefox.

RADL Assemble! Just ... try not to tip over or anything. :downsgun:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/555818836.html

Simkin fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 30, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/558756692.html

Honestly, who hasn't been here:
"It's either the bike or the wife..."

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Atmus posted:

It has a VCR? For some reason that bothers me more than the other crap.

Remember how you got an NES at christmas, the same year as every other kid was unwrapping a new PS2? Yes indeed, this is what happens, when Grandma pimps your ride. :gbsmith:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Those are some awfully tall sidewalls for a 'serious street racer.'

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Does anyone have an actual link to this cubic dollar Supra in question, rather than just some CL link to a dead post?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I don't see anything particularly wrong with that Supra posting. I don't know if CL is necessarily the best forum for something that specific, but I guess he also has it posted on all the Supra, Toyota, and Import Drag boards. It does look pretty loving mean, and I love how it's pretty much just all business, appearance wise. I get the feeling that it is a dyno queen, though, just based on the fact that he has no stats regarding 60ft times, 1/4 or trap speeds. Hell, it even still has A/C.

Okay, back on topic: Stupid people make bad sales pitches.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/564904797.html
Buy my litre bike! It's the perfect beginner's bike. It only has the rash and dents from where it bit me when I tried to use it as my first bike, but don't mind those, they just add character.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/mcy/566784001.html
HAY GUYZ!!!1one Buy my bike! It's totally not stolen. It's just priced way under market because I don't have the title, and I need to get rid of it before the fuzz get here to pay for my drugs.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/563058409.html
Yeah, see, what you got here, is a basic 'the engine is flooded wit gas' problem. For some reason, even though the mechanic I took it to couldn't fix it, I'm sure it's still full of gas. How does a bike run when the cylinders are full of gasoline, you may ask? :iiam:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Isn't there some old joke about the only thing in common between a 500hp Supra and a 1000hp Supra being that they both run 10s? :laugh:

In addendum to my post - is it common practice for people to try to flog their 600cc supersports as 'beginner bikes?'

Simkin
May 18, 2007

7744 posted:

I don't think you really have to worry about A/C when you're pushing 1,400hp.

No, but the point remains, that if this car was actually intended as a drag car, it would be stripped, caged, all the accessories (especially A/C) would be removed, etc. Sure, A/C doesn't make a difference on a dyno, when it's turned off, but when you're looking to cut weight, that's a good 20+ lbs easy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Maybe the car is an absolute must see, because the owner can NO LONGER SEE ANYTHING. I am in no way insinuating that it was worked over by a blind man.

@ Pitch :iceburn: I doubt that a 1000hp+ Supra (just on boost) would be a terribly well-mannered beast. Can you imagine that in stop and go traffic?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/567840510.html
Seeing someone with my bike, all dressed up for what looks to be a road trip, makes me very, very happy. Maybe I just really like seeing someone using something other than a big touring bike for ... touring. Remember kids, bungee cords are a perfectly acceptable substitute for hard bags, providing everything is jammed into a waterproof duffel bag.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Because every single other V6 of that era will have been left to rust to poo poo, or have had an actual engine stuffed into it.

Granted, unique doesn't necessarily mean good, but still... :hawaaaafap:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, a new GS500E will set you back about CAD$5500. The market around here is kind of goofy for used bike prices, but he'll probably still get 2200 for it.

Are those cars at a dealership where taste goes to die, or is it just an unfortunate conflux of carbage?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/mcy/571244178.html

somerandomsquid posted:

im selling for dirt cheap cause i am 2300 away from the truck i want, and i wanna run poo poo over instead of going fast.

It's that special kind of refreshing honesty that you just don't see every day.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

@ Logue - I'd say that's pretty close to fair value for that car. All the important bits are original, and the parts that aren't are pretty easy to put back to stock, if you'd rather have originality over improved performance.

Granted, I'd rather spend that much (trying) to make my car into a BRE replica race car, but there's plenty more people that car would appeal to.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Too bad he didn't post pics... Not a bad looking chavmobile.

I think he's somewhat confused by the octane measurement discrepancies between Euroland and NA

OpelinVancouver posted:

almost all original except for tuning, only runs on 94 or higher octane, in Europe it was run on 100 Octane,could run on 92 but will not put out max power,

I wonder if he actually managed to get it insured for BC - the usual route is the 15 year exemption to allow pretty much anything to be imported, but this isn't old enough. :iiam:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

DropShadow posted:

What's funny is that I *never* see late-80s Stanzas anymore. It's like they all dropped off the face of the earth. My mom had an '84, then an '87 which eventually became my sister's first car, and then she killed it. My dad had an '87 Maxima (that talked!) and I never see those either. Seeing this ad actually makes me a little nostalgic for my high school days (though our Stanzas were all silver).

We're stockpiling them all on Vancouver Island.

That price is retarded. No matter the condition, that car is not worth that - it's neither a performance car, nor a collectible, nor a Honda Civic. It's a truck engine in a Maxima chassis, so it's not even particularly sprightly. I sold my running, sub-200,000km 87 Maxima for 650$, and that was probably only about 350$ under the market around here.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sure, it's a nice looking 20 footer, but there's varnishing the facts, and then there's saying that your 30+ year old 240z makes 300hp with just carbs and a header.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dats...sspagenameZWDVW

Gentlemen, Behold the unmodified L24 that somehow outputs over 100hp/L

lovely used car salesmen shouldn't try their hand at selling niche cars. :downs:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/mcy/617489038.html

craigslistad posted:

1936 (or close) Sears/Roebuck Motorcycle - $10000

RARE 1936 Sears/Roebuck Motorcycle. Needs some work.

I can understand misplacing the decimal one place, but two...?

---------

Here's a case where the seller obviously can't be bothered to put even the least amount of effort it, beyond just clicking the post button:

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/5150886&category=motorcycle-parts-accessories

usednanaimoad posted:

1972 honda motorcyle for parts only

Price $100

This bike broke down and there was gas in the tank and it rusted so i don't know what can be salvaged off this bike but i think it is worth 100 at least.

:psyduck:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

Ahaha he replaced the ignition quail. Obviously he forgot to fix the charging pheasant.

Clearly the previous ignition quail was stolen (and likely eaten) by the fuel system.

CLretard posted:

fuel pump rely witch was bent :witch:

I guess he got rid of her after he found out she was stealing his livestock?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I wonder if the panel gaps in the car are sufficient to feed enough air to the engine (and driver) while operating, or if you'd have to drive everywhere with the windows rolled down.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

maxallen posted:

:wtc: :suicide:

I think we have officially found the high (low) point of this thread. That one with the lambo doors pretty much takes the cake - is that packing tape on the rear wheel well?

My contribution:

In a land where ricers roamed free, Skylines were legal, and kei trucks fought with Smart cars for parking spaces, only one car was brave enough to be DRIFT TAX ENFORCER SUPREME!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/617461077.html

RetardInVancouver posted:

I want to get into a businessmans car and look more professional.

How come nobody at the office takes me srsly when i roll up in ma tite JDM ride? I put flags on it, just like those ambassadors do, but everyone just points and laughs. :saddowns:

It's also amusing to note that in the space of less than 1 week, he's dropped his asking price by ~$3500CAD.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Not CL, but so, so much cooler than anything you're likely to find on there.

What kind of funky rear end vehicle would possibly have all of this?

:wotwot:

Still can't guess? Oh, all right (also since ebay links tend to not be terribly permanent). http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260230842519

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm sure someone has a mint one socked away in a barn. That one, however, looks to be in perfect shape for adressing your acute projectitis. A newer, strong running 600cc or 750cc motorcycle engine can be sourced for just a couple hundred dollars (especially if it's an aircooled one). It's a kei car, so is tiny, and ridiculously light - the brakes and suspension are understandably ... designed on a budget.

As to rarity:

quote:

According to one source, a total of 40,586 sedans and coupes were sold in the US for the 1970 thru 1972 model years, with the majority being sedans. Totals from the HONDA FACT BOOK state that there were 35000 Honda AN600 Sedans and 15500 AZ600 Coupes sold in the USA. Regardless of the exact number sold, very few have survived. Although the actual number of survivors is unknown, best estimates are fewer than 1000, probably more like 300 or so are in operating condition today. Bill Colford has done research on production numbers, and his conclusion is:"How many USA survivors are out there, I would have to say 600 or so Sedans and Coupes combined and maybe 300 of these are running. However, more are being restored as we speak."

Get it, and chuck in a newer bike engine.... Dooooo ittttt.....

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yup, especially in cali. They're the hot new bikes and they're so cheap compared to other start bikes that dealers aren't having any problems selling them for 4.5-5k out the door. The last shipment that came in to one of the dealership in the bay area had 13 bikes and none of them ever saw the floor.

You'd think that might actually prompt the other bike marques to import their mature lineup of starter bikes, rather than just sticking with the tired old models that have been around for ages. Some are worse than others, of course (Yamaha :argh: ). The market for beginner bikes is only going to grow as gas prices creep up, so hopefully we'll see a few more examples in the vein of the new 250 Ninja.

I saw the same thing up here with CBR125Rs - people were trying to get anywhere up to $4500CAD for them (used). It's died down a little, but there still aren't any 2007 models on CL within this province for under $2800. :downsgun:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That's an awfully steep price for something that even if properly restored, won't ever be a terribly cool/valuable car. All the weather stripping will be cracked/crumbling/nonexistant, and even if the drivetrain is in serviceable order, you will have trouble overtaking the Amish on rural roads.

For $500? Sure.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I just was under the impression that the later 510 was a more desireable car, but I guess that's just my opinion. :confused:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

In the vein of :monocle: CL ads:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/679314227.html

CLad posted:

I have a 1998 VTR1000F that I started working on some years ago, I found the last of the Moriwaki and HRC race parts for the bike.
NEW HRC Close Ration Transmission
NEW HRC Ignition Module
NEW MORIWAKI Cams
NEW MORIWAKI Oversize stainless valves
NEW MORIWAKI Valve Springs
NEW Custom Made Titanium Retainers By RD
NEW Custom Made Adjustable Cam Sprockets
NEW V-Two High Compression Pistons
3 different jet kits
Two brothers aluninum full system
Heli Bars
Vortex Tripple Clamps
900RR 45mm Forks
Race Teck and Progressive
Ohlins rear shock
Marchesini Magnesium race wheels
R6 rear caliper
Marchesini floating rear disc
NEW EBC Pro-lites
Steel braided lines
Flow Commander
6 Piston Tikiko calipers
Graves fairing mount
Extra Frame, motor, wheels, forks

Many parts are performance coated. cams, valves & springs and transmission
Frame, wheels Powder coated
Frame is boxed in per Moriwaki
Swingarm is braced per Moriwaki

NEW Michelin slicks

Lower end is together, cranked checked, NEW coated crank and rod bearings installed, V-Tow pistons also coated are installed. Heads are ported, valves matched, all is waiting is the need of copper head gaskets, and cams installed, heads assembled and installed on motor. Just don't have the time to finish and it just sits. I would rather someone finish this than let it sit.

I could deliver to Bay area for cost of gas. I am giving this away, the Moriwaki parts cost me more than I am asking. Best out of site out of mine.

$4000 OBO.

I think we can all empathize with the seller in terms of the 'selling for less than I have into it' aspect of project vehicles, it's just a shame when it's so close to the finish line. :eng99:

With the exhaust cans installed, but no piping to the engine, it kind of looks like it has some sort of boosters strapped onto it.

:supaburn:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

There's still plenty on the roads up here, and with the price of petrol where it is - $1.35/L - the asking price on any Sprint/Metro/Firefly/Swift around here has nearly doubled (in the space of 2 years or so).

Turbo sprints, however, never did seem that common around here. Having looked at the engine setup on one at a boneyard, I imagine a proper turbo setup, rather than the ghetto looking stock one, would probably perk it up quite a lot.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Oh god. Please tell me that's someone from the deep, dark heart of Langford cross-posting to UsedVictoria. I know that there's a meth problem around here, but I was hoping that they didn't have access to computers. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Huh. Who'd have guessed that dealers would become embittered at their high margin cars no longer being easy to flog. :confused: