Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Went for 17.5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Apparently it's Logan Paul's and he going broke :v:

:lol::lol::lol:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Munin posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-have-texas-sized-carbon-footprints-heres-why

US per capita carbon footprint is loving huge in no small part because the average US car does 25mpg while the average EU car does 45mpg. The next most significant bit of the transport difference is due to the average person driving about 25% less miles in the EU compared to the US.

More cars need to be killed and kept off the road and things should be changed so that they don't need to be replaced.

Huge, badly insulated, less renewable energy powered, energy inefficient homes is the next biggest cause of the carbon footprint difference. Then you have the US' love of beef...

is this still for sale

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i know what i got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Acura-Integra-TYPE-R/153906970305?hash=item23d591fec1:g:5AcAAOSwAbxeoZuZ

Yeah 20 kilobucks for a salvage title ITR that was in a bad enough wreck to total it out in 2006. Sounds great.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Getting the weapons and munitions for it may be challenging.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the point of scamming like this? As soon as you show up you see it’s not what you thought and don’t give them money for it. Or is there some “non refundable deposit to look at it” thing that I’m missing in the ad?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Why buy new when for the same price you can get a 15 year old one with 150k on the clock?

A number of people regard that model as the high water mark of Subaru and finding an example that hasn’t been trashed or modded to hell is unusual. Asking what a new 2020 one goes for is a little optimistic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vanagoon posted:

Lowtax ain't getting any more money from me, what do you want.

If you want it gone there’s a qcs thread where you can donate to charity and an admin will give you the upgrade.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what's going on with the shifter?

Brass knuckles. If a cop is feeling grouchy that's an instant misdemeanor in a lot of places.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

canceled out by the bootlicker lives matter blue tape on the back window

Itself canceled if you’re not a white man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Didn't the entire grille on those things light up?

Yup. We had an 86 and were always getting high beam flashes from oncoming traffic at night.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/mountain-view-jet-powered-volkswagen/7241823593.html

quote:

--Yes this is a real ad, and yes I used the photos everyone has seen from my website and shared. The last photo on this ad hasn't been posted anywhere and shows the lift I store it on. I take it down once and a while and run it. Again, this is a real ad for the world famous jet powered Beetle.

Street-Legal Jet Powered Volkswagen Beetle $550k. Why on Craiglist? Why not? Why a jet Beetle?

I think it may be time to let go of my flame throwing, running and driving jet car. Registration up to date. The car has two engines: the production gasoline engine in the front, driving the front wheels, and the jet engine in the back. The idea is that you drive around legally on the gasoline engine then, when you want to have some fun, spin up the jet and get on the burner (you can start the jet while driving along on the gasoline engine). I built the car because I wanted the wildest street-legal ride possible. I was able to use some stuff I learned while getting my fancy engineering degree with this project (I have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University). It was great to design this street-legal jet car without distractions from other people’s projects, solely because no one has done it before. I have no idea how fast the car will go, and probably never will. I built the car in order to thrill me, not kill me. That said, I do enjoy the occasional blast down the highway.

I chose the Beetle because it looks cool with the jet and it shows it off well. Remember the Hurst wheelstanding Barracuda "Hemi Under Glass"? Well, this is "Jet Under Glass". Air for the jet enters the car through the two side windows and the sunroof. It can be a little windy inside with the jet engine running but not too bad. I built the car to look like VW delivered it this way. It drives like a stock Beetle and is safe. The response to driving it on the street and going to the hot rod shows (San Francisco Custom Car Show, Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, and the Detroit Autorama) has been fantastic. This car attracts crowds better than any “show” car. The car has also been on TV nationwide.

The back of the gauge panel is open to add to the techie look. There are three gauges for the jet: %RPM, Oil Pressure, and Turbine Inlet Temperature. The most important is turbine inlet temperature. If you exceed about 650 degrees C for very long, you damage the engine. This is critical on start-up. You don't want a "hot-start". The throttle for the jet engine is located next to the gear selector. It is a lever and has three buttons: Cool, Big-Fire, and Afterburner. "Cool" leans out the engine and is used to lower the turbine inlet temperature if you get a hot-start. To light big-fire or the afterburner, you hold a button down and 1/2 second later, press the hot-streak button on the floor. Then things happen! Notice the kerosene level gauge in front of the gear selector (jet fuel is mostly kerosene).

There is a lot going on in the back. The attention to detail in this car borders on obsessive. Note the aluminum block holding/protecting the halon gas line, pull line, harness to engine, and oil pressure line. Rectangular tank under inlet screen is for various fuel drains. Note temperature gauge and shutoff valve for dry sump tank. 3 gallons of turbine oil at $25/quart (ouch!). The production hatch release on the driver's door now activates two latches (one on each side) and the hatch pops open just like VW intended. The "hatch not closed" warning light is functional as well.

The engine is a General Electric Model T58-8F with some internal modifications and a custom tailpipe. The 300lb. engine spins up to 26,000 RPM (idle is 13,000 RPM), draws air at 11,000 CFM, and is rated at 1350 hp. The structure holding the engine was designed using finite element analysis and is redundant. Strong, damage tolerant, and light. The force from the jet is harnessed using sandwich plates bolted to contoured aluminum billets inserted into the frame rails. The engine has rigid mounts with rubber bushings in the front and the back are sliding. It grows as it warms up so the engine mounts have to account for this. The interior was finished in the original color with two-stage PPG paint. A heat blanket keeps the plastic bumper from melting when the jet is operating.

The Kerosene is stored in a custom 14 gallon, baffled, foam-filled Kevlar fuel cell in the spare tire well. The tank has two outlets in the back: a -12 on the left side and a -10 on the right. The -10 goes to a shutoff, then a Barry Grant pump (one of the few hot rod parts on the car), then up into the car where it sees a filter, a regulator, and an electrical shutoff valve before feeding the engine. The -12 goes into a shutoff then a custom, 1.5hp 11,000 rpm 24V electric magnesium, pump. The pump can maintain 100 psi at 550 gph. From the pump it goes into the car to a filter, then a large regulator, and then to the afterburner solenoid and the big-fire solenoid (to left of pump and feeding bottom of tailpipe through orange covered hose).

All circuits feeding solenoids and pumps have fuses, relays, kick-back diodes to minimize contact arcing, sealed connectors, and use automotive wires of a gauge giving a maximum of 1V drop over the circuit loop. The system uses a second battery and fuse/relay panel, halon fire system and 5 gallon dry sump tank. A 24V starter motor is in the nose of the engine. 700 A of current goes into that motor for 20 seconds during start-up. Heat limits starts to three in one hour. Lastly, the screen is to avoid FOD (foreign object damage) but the jet still keeps sucking the rose out of the bud vase!

Owner's website with more info: http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The BaT comments seem to be entirely people who want to make sure you understand how much more they know about your car than you do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

super nailgun posted:

Some lovely cars in incredible condition locally

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1979-mercury-zepher-extra/7280252037.html

The Creamsicle interior kinda makes this one. They definitely miscounted the cylinders on that engine though

Burned my legs on those vinyl seats many times as a kid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

All I hear is ZZ Top.

LaGrange, GA is better than the one in Texas though arguably not by much.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coredump posted:

See this is a much more reasonable stance then when you were acting like I was out of line asking a guy to come down $5 on a bumper cover. Good to know you do expect some sort of negotiation to take place as part of the buying process. I'm not saying that negotiation is a requirement, when you said negotiation is not a requirement that is still perfectly acceptable, I'm just speaking to the expectation of it, especially when it comes to buying used cars/parts from private to private sellers and buyers online.

I still need to install that dang bumper cover too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

he's pming me now to take issue with telling him to shut the gently caress up

lmaoooooo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hermsgervørden posted:

The most amazing thing about it is that it purports to be road legal in CA and I just don’t think it would fly here.

:dadjoke:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

super nailgun posted:

I'm curious how this one came to be non-op...

Probably lunched a critical part like a transmission or something and from the paintball splatters it appears it's been used as a training obstacle on a range. The interior will have been destroyed by that and coupled with an unidentified catastrophic mechanical failure that offlined it you're straight up gambling by bidding on this thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

longtruck is long

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slidebite posted:

Just read some of the BaT

That's what the owner decided not to fix? :stare:

As if it ever gets driven after dark or anything gets carried in the back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

I too like to post my massively custom, twin turbo, road race(?) El Camino with zero details because of course none of this raises any questions.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/1047179608?cid=cars-trucks

yes there's a super low res picture of screen with details and sure you can eventually get more info on their website but seriously get your poo poo together you are a dealer
https://www.carsruslv.com/inventory/view/13816424/1969-CHEVY-EL-CAMINO*-FULLY-CUSTOM-BUILT*-1-OF-A-KIND*/

lmao here's what the dealer says:

quote:

>>>1 OF A KIND<<<

TWIN TURBO

COIL OVER SUSPENSION

FEATURED IN MANY MAGAZINES

RUNS FLAWLESS NO ISSUES

HAS FULL BUILD OUT SHEET>>>

TOO MUCH TOO LIST

MUST SEE IN PERSON TO APPRECIATE

SERIOUS CASH BUYERS ONLY (OR SECURED YOUR OWN FINANCING)
Has full build out sheet but no we won't even scan it, it's too much to list! Featured in many magazines! Oh and it's a salvage title according to the dealer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184703091236

quote:

Need some help funding items my kids need for school and to fix a car so trying this as a fundraiser. Worlds most expensive Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno. Condition is "New". Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Don’t have that verbiage in writing, but it’s a used vehicle being sold private party. In my state, even if it’s from a dealer you only have 72 hours to make a complaint and if it’s private party there are no provisions. It’s as-is every time unless otherwise specified.

I’ve bought plenty of cars that needed a bit of work after purchase that the seller never fully disclosed or even knew about and I just went about my day and had the issues fixed. It’s never even crossed my mind to ask for money.

Most recent example - our Del Sol needed an exhaust mid pipe, all new brake hard lines and new wheel cylinders in the rear for state inspection. Sucks a bit, but hey it was a ‘94 with 175k miles. I am sure the seller didn’t know about the issues and even if they did, buyer beware.

Here’s our exchange yesterday:

There’s no way that the guy who bought the car from me wrote those messages. It was 100% his dickhead aggressive nephew that came along for the ride, speaking for him. After we did the paperwork at the notary, the nephew was crazy confrontational and contrary for no reason at all, even making fun of the car my wife brought to pick me up in (500 Abarth). He had absolutely zero stake in the transaction other than being transportation for his uncle.

send him the goatman

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Used car prices are so insane it is probably worth $8,000 loonies on the private party market. Without the title though you can't do anything.

He can sell it under the table to some bank robbers but that may not help the overall situation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that it was a sink. It does seem like a kinda awkward place to take a crap. My bust.

If you own it you can do whatever you want there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Yeah the deal has always been four wheels on a dead manatee

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

So what's the puddle of fluid then on the road? Spilled soda? Passenger head juice?

Piss from the driver.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What the gently caress is happening to this hell planet anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is that how street legal works? You say it's a "tribute" to a legal car?

This is the greatest and best car in the world...
Tribute.
Long time ago me and my brother Kyle here,
We was hitchhiking down a long and lonesome road.
All of a sudden,
There shined a shiny demon,
In the middle of the road,
And he said!
Drive the best car in the world, or I'll eat your souls...
Well me and Kyle,
We looked at each other,
And we each said,
Okay.
And we drove the first thing that came to our feeds,
Just so happened to be
The best car in the world,
It was the best car in the world.
Look into my eyes and it's easy to see
Two and and two makes four, four and four makes eight,
It was destiny.
Once every hundred thousand miles or so
Check engine doth shine
Temp Hi doth glow and the grass doth grow.
Needless to say,
The beast was stunned.
Whip-crack went his whippy tail,
And the beast was done.
He asked us,
Be that Mercedes?
And we said nay,
It is homebuilt,
Rock!
Ah, ah, ah, oh, wo, a-yo!
This is not the greatest car in the world, no.
This is just a tribute!
Couldn't afford the greatest car in the world, yeah - no!
This is a tribute!
To the greatest car in the world,
Alright!
It was the greatest car in the world,
Alright!
This is the greatest motherfuckin' car, the greatest car in the world oh!
And the peculiar thing is this my friends,
The car we drove on that fateful night,
It didn't actually look anything like this car!
This is just a tribute!
You gotta believe me,
And I wish you were there,
Just a matter of opinion.
Ah, ah, oh!
Good God,
Gotta love it,
I'm so surprised to find ya can't insure it!
Alright!
Alright!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The number plate is "USA-001" so okay, it's the first USDM one produced but still big big lols. Apparently this is its third owner at least.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you still want to do track days make the car what you want it to be for the track and sell it when you've wrung all the value out of it and it no longer meets your needs. If it can't ever become what you need or you determine that you're all done with track stuff now sell it unmodified.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but you might get the same horrible treatment as what happened to poor LobsterboyX with one of his cars

I don't know the details of this story but I can imagine. :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Born in a mountain
Raised in a cave
Tuk tuks and fuckin'
Are all I crave

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

The convertible paseo?

Cuba quit using that a few months ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

When I was in high school, my parents had a Ford Aerostar which was also based on the Ranger. The 4 speed auto was an option; it came standard with a 5speed manual.

Aerostar was dope.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I really hope he had it appraised; it looked hella modified and insurance doesn't like paying for that stuff

Shop will be on the hook for it too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Or Hiluxes or Land Cruises or 4Runners or....

I bet someone could do okay bringing those to the US. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm the hand held sticker covering the rear plate while the front plate is clearly legible in the front overhead photo.