Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Deal Alert It's less than $20!

because anything under $20 is a great deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

90%+ of Seattle's power is hydro generated... so finally, a water powered car! Take that poo poo, big oil!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't heard anyone being able to hit that high in one. Real world seems to be around 35, which is really silly for what the car is.

36 combined acording to the EPA

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Boat posted:

I must say I've never seen the nauseate == negotiate error before. :raise:

It's not an error, paying any amount of money for a J-body makes one nauseous.

Why in the world do Sunfire/Cavalier convertibles even exist?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tai-Pan posted:

Of which at least $25 went to the stick-on z06 brake ducting and badges.

The other $10 went for the Lambo convesion and the can of spraypaint he used to paint the huge retarded wheel he stole off of an Escalade red.

Also, a car company should come out with a factory color called "rare red"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

It should be the most common color.

:respek:

Hell. Fuckin'. Yes.

if it was I'd get pulled over a lot less too

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh dear god that nose :gonk:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like I'd need it for some nefarious mission in GTA:

- HAND GUN

What, you'd ever buy a truck without one?:clint:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

quote:

Formerly new Dunlop DZ101 275/35r18 rear tires

Hahahahaha, seriously?

"Formerly brand new 0 miles car for sale!"

now a clapped out POS with 180k

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

"LOL Driftin'"

Yeah, because the first thing that I'm going to make sure of when I buy a new car is that it was "LOL drifted"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well at least he lists what he drank a bottle of before making that ad, or is that the car color?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

God. loving. Damnit. that poor perfect little Elise, you were never meant to have Lambo doorsor sick flames :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Must be the time of year for free car ads

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

julian assflange posted:

Can’t get my screenshot to work but check out the gear shifter:

https://www.adverts.ie/17659303

HTH

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I hate it when my throttle body gets dorty :(

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1996-jeep-grand-cherokee-limited/6894450984.html

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's in the thread title!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is that the horrid turd of a diesel that almost killed passenger diesels in the US forever, because GM sucks?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Dagen H posted:

Chevettes used Isuzu diesels; you're thinking of the Olds 350 Diesel, which was shoddily derived from an existing gasoline engine.

Interesting, thanks!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

A Small Car posted:

A Small Car

:thunk:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

For when he inevitably pulls it down:

TBF, it looks like a loving amazing amount of time, effort, and money got sunk into this stupid thing, how does someone like this get the money to build something like this anyways?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I find that color endearing.

The T-bird looked pretty cool, but like the Prowler it was hamstrung by only having the shittiest drivetrain options possible.

Now I want to buy one and try to shove a Coyote in it, thanks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

We can always take solice in the Marauder.

When the little 4-pot in my Ranger goes from chronic oil starvation I might seriously consider replacing it with an ecoboost of some flavor, it meets all my needs too well, and I inherited it when my dad passed.

30MPG, giant smoky burnouts on command, and I can still (unsafely) haul 2000 lbs of construction material to my house from Lowes? I'll pay the the rear-end toll.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The HMMWV is slow as gently caress with a V8 displacing an extra 2 liters and providing 30% more horsepower and torque, this thing must be absolutely painful to drive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Coredump posted:

LHT K-Sight conversion coming right up.
https://youtu.be/vOBL62GTR_I

This is super cool, but I'd find it hard to justify a full EV conversation when the Leaf exists.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress you, I live close enough to buy that, but I don't have the space.

Lookit that drat thing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

TBH, the mean time to failure on jellybean Taurii transmissions means that mint ones are indeed as rare as hen's teeth.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Worst stopgap measure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The problem with auto belts is a lot of people just didn't buckle the lap belt, which lead to underruning the chest belt and neck injuries.

E: and they weren't hard to defeat and not wear anyway.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Munin posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-have-texas-sized-carbon-footprints-heres-why

US per capita carbon footprint is loving huge in no small part because the average US car does 25mpg while the average EU car does 45mpg. The next most significant bit of the transport difference is due to the average person driving about 25% less miles in the EU compared to the US.

More cars need to be killed and kept off the road and things should be changed so that they don't need to be replaced.

Huge, badly insulated, less renewable energy powered, energy inefficient homes is the next biggest cause of the carbon footprint difference. Then you have the US' love of beef...

Lol, if this happens it's going to be people crushing 30mpg corollas for 25mpg crossovers.

The solution to the US's carbon problem is carbon/gas taxes to force people into more efficient vehicles.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

My Volt cost almost twice what I've paid for any other vehicle I've owned. Your taxes are going to further gently caress the poor, many of whom would probably love to be able to afford such a thing.

It's not a "one simple trick" thing, I just didn't feel like posting a manifesto in the idiots on Craigslist thread.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Your best bet would be to replace the steam plant with an Ultra Low Speed Diesel or two, steam plant requires at least a crew of 100+ to keep running and fired, even with oil boilers.

Y'know for when that happens.

P.S. plz hire me to be an engineer on your Battleship cum Yacht.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've worked with a couple old warships/floating museums, and yeah, they struggle to keep the hulls from rusting through and maintaining a staff of docents as it is, costs to maintain the engineering plant on a working example would be ruinous.

Especially if you have a bunch of geezers maintaining it and you blow a steam line, or god forbid a boiler.

Some old warships still sail though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lack of AC is certainly not a dealbreaker in WA, guess it makes sense they're selling them here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo would, if I had an extra 40k lying around.

I maintain and operate Submarines for a living though, so I might be an an edge case.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

Good, spare o-rings.

In case the local Harbor Freight is sold out.

600ft test depth is only about 267psi, Hazard Fraught O rings will probably work fine in any seawater systems, although obv. Maybe source them through McMaster or.someone reputable.

High Pressure Air is where O-rings test their mettle and you get into silicon rubbers and poo poo, I'd also be very concerned about a high-pressure-air rupture incapacitating you pretty much instantly in a volume that small.

Any properly designed o-ring sealed seawater joint will also only leak an acceptable amount of water for recovery of the vessel, should the o-rings fail.

E: another big issue is recertification of the pressure envelope, you'd need fancy equipment to do a reasonable pressure drop test, and you'd probably want to do ultrasonic testing of any and all welds on a regular basis, which is not cheap. Radiography of the welds would be even better, but that's even more not cheap.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 10, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BigPaddy posted:

Maybe I just hate money but if I don’t want something I tend to give it away to someone who needs it within reason. Busted old Pontiac 389 and trans? Donated to the High Schools auto shop. I just can’t be dealing with morons on CL or Facebook.

I had to get rid of a 2000 Passat Wagon quick fast and in a hurry, 350,000 miles, a blown power steering system and a window held up with a soda can, gave it away to the first person I didn't have to pick up from their mom's house to look at it.

Went to a VW mechanic's son, as his first car, he was so loving stoked, the dad was like "yeah, I'll have all this poo poo fixed in a day" it was very :unsmith: they might have been lying to me, and trying to flip it for a profit, or part it out, but IDGAF, as long as it didn't get towed.

That car had to have it's own guardian angel or something, 17 years and 350kmi in the NE, interior was near mint condition, there was almost zero rust on the undercarriage, engine and trans were still butter smooth, used less than a quart of oil between changes, mostly out of the turbo seals, just incredible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

Because Ford came so close to doing something awesome, but managed to hit all 1s just off the bullseye.

Tweaks to the grille and a more familiar powertrain would've gone a long way.

I'll never understand how they didn't just put the Mustang drivetrain in it, I think they did with the second-to-last generation.

It's kinda like the Prowler, 95% of the way to a super awesome cool car, but just stumbled over the finish line.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Coredump posted:

Y'know I did this once and was told it was a big no-no. :v:

No one else sets up an in-person bidding war in a cop shop parking lot you weirdo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What in the hell is that abomination :v:

Australian Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hell yeah, real gold.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbYBggXk/1992-plymouth-colt-vista-awd