Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It could be something automated; I know my local Craigslist /car/ listing was getting hammered by automated scam posts last week and this week it's a drought of all posts. They might have stepped up the posting requirements (or duplicate detector) and old posting methods aren't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrZig posted:

This is just so terrible it's worth posting.
My favourite part is the inexplicable rattlecan-black hood. There's a white Miata around here with the same thing -- my best guess is pretend carbon-fiber.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
While looking for a sub-$1000 beater for my friend to learn manual on, I discovered this:

Click here for the full 1327x679 image.

The last image is really what sells it for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think I finally understand cat ladies now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but I'm almost positive I don't like it.

Click here for the full 1290x754 image.

If it's not just some redneck who has heinously abused a rusted-out Mustang with plastic body parts to turn it into a deformed aborted pseudo-clone of a car that was in a movie (Eleanor was silver, for starters), it's probably a scam.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 2, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Craigslist: Bastion of efficiency.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-Chevrolet-x-police-car-Calgary-Please-contact-W0QQAdIdZ116672772

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Wagonburner posted:

What's the deal with the "proof of citizenship required to purchase" on the deuce and a half?

Is there some weird law I don't know about where the seller of a vehicle could be open to some kind of liability/problems if they don't check that?
USians, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe military purchases are regulated by ITAR, which is the United States' crappy export law regarding munitions and arms sales.

ITAR even controls strong (> 128-bit) cryptography; you can be considered to be an arms dealer and face a lot of federal time for bringing a disk containing PGP to Cuba.

Some military stuff can't be sold off to the public, period - I remember hearing that the US government didn't want drug dealers tooling around in up-armoured Humvees. It's a shame, but the Russians will sell you their old GAZ trucks.

Do people really call Canadians frostbacks? :( I wasn't aware of any anti-Canadian racism that wasn't mainly aimed at French Canadians.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 7, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

As far as I know some personal safety group convinced the Army that all the old Willy's Jeeps were unsafe and they stopped selling them and cut them all in half and scrapped them. Too bad, cause there would be a ton of them out there otherwise.
Oh yeah, there's that. Slightly unintuitively, a lot of military hardware just isn't set up to withstand the rigors of getting slammed into by a retard running a red.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My dad spent his formative years driving a Maverick, and now his dream car is a yellow 2003-04 V6 Mustang convertible. I suspect most people looking for a Maverick would be people like him who used to own one. He also had a Fiesta, though, and I don't remember him ever reminiscing about that car.

On topic, I don't need to know about image resizing programs. I've got a Nova.

Click here for the full 1013x610 image.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sirbeefalot posted:

Is that like underbody lighting?
Yeah, puddle lights are neon lights that go under your side skirts. They are the ugliest things on the planet and any girl that drops her panties for one probably has a little underbody glow of her own.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...QAdIdZ129300240

Click here for the full 1061x600 image.

I think it's a Prelude.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wouldn't have expected tuner douchebags to grab onto the Miata, and yet here we are. Bonus for posting the same picture twice.

Click here for the full 1282x805 image.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
:sigh:

Click here for the full 631x745 image.

An "all-original" automatic 300ZX twin-turbo with a horrendous bodykit, beat up paint and lambo doors for only the price of a used Audi A4? The seller's primary concern is with aesthetic and comfort problems of the car? Sign me the gently caress up!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Let's get on this. Wanna buy my Sunbird? It just died one day, but I'm sure it won't cost more than $30 to make it run again. I put new tires on it!! New tires!!

Click here for the full 969x576 image.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not so much Craigslist, but still :what:

No replacement for displacement.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

el topo posted:

This one's a brilliant piece of marketing...
Oh man, I think I figured out how I'm getting rid of my crapbox.

However, I have seen four-door lambo door conversions before... :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tai-Pan posted:

The guy has a sense of humor, but still $8k? He is crazy as hell.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1264630177.html
I didn't realize those actually came with air conditioning. What does that do, increase the 0-60 time to NaN?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Click here for the full 605x649 image.

Low & slow, baby. Low and slow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Now I don't know about you guys, but right after the Fast and the Furious came out, unmolested CRXes became as valuable as solid gold.

Which doesn't explain this thing.

Everything looks pretty normal, if neglected, on this side of the car...

Is that colour shift paint on the front quarter, or some kind of advanced form of metal oxidization? I haven't seen rainbows like that since I lit up a chunk of copper with a soldering torch in art class.

How to sell a car:
[x] Chrysler K-car floor mats
[x] Canadian tire pedals, shift knob, handbrake lever cover
[x] Don't bother cleaning anything out whatsoever including random plastic bags or your filthy seat
[x] Leave the wheel cranked at a hard parkin' angle even though all the other pictures have the wheels perfectly straight

So that CRX must be a fluke, right? The other CRXes for sale in a largely Honda city can't be that bad can th :barf:

Did you take that picture through a screen door?

Yeah, boyee!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 13, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

If you guys want a pristine CR-X, move to Canada and get an SiR imported from Japan.
So that's why I see RHD CRX hatches!

... or at least it would be if those also aren't clapped out with half of a Canadian Tire glued to them. :smith:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Mighty Horse posted:

This was on the LH forums a few weeks ago..Listing expired.

Listing: http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/1633440868.html

i have a 2001 300m with 180 on the dash, black heated leather seats tv radio firm on the price no trades not selling rims without the car spent 2000 on the lift, can do u turns
"180 on the dash?" Is he talking about the speedometer?

I like how when you have wheels that loving ridiculous on your piece of poo poo FWD Chrysler, "can do u-turns" is actually a distinguishing feature.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Someone should write a Miata ad that's the polar opposite of those. :v:

Also, man, if you're selling a Ferrari, at the very least write a decent ad for it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My dad had an old black custom van when I was a kid. Years later (last year) I was going through some boxes he'd left behind after the divorce, and stumbled onto a box full of magazines about vans from the 70s. It kinda blew my mind a little that enough people were into doing things with vans that there was a whole professionally-published magazine about it.
Vanning was apparently so popular during the 1970s that there were entire movies based around the concept of owning or maintaining a custom van. It's like the Fast and the Furious, only nobody ever goes fast anywhere and they topple over in a strong breeze.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DADDY THIS BARBIE POWERWHEELS IS TOO BIG

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-honda-odyssey-W0QQAdIdZ203984599

edit: BONUS VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvzhxL72yM every single segment of this video has this thing rolling over at least once. If anyone needs me, I'll be at the bank.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 18, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I didn't know that was actually valuable. Are there are a lot of reproductions? I don't know much about ATVs, so I'd need more information in order to determine the breed standard of this one.

kimbo305 posted:

I gotta ask -- why would Honda recycle names from two of its dune buggies onto two big vehicles?
They've done it with a few of their cars (Ascot comes to mind) as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bampalo posted:

This 1988 Dodge/Mitsu raider is for sale by one of the guys that works at a local performance shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140414920174&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT#v4-35

Best part? "1JZGTE twin turbo powered rear wheel drive"
That thing is crazy. I like where he mentions that it comes with aftermarket rear-view mirrors because the hinge in the OEM Mitsubishi units wouldn't hold up under 100mph.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There is probably a coterie of people out there whose hosed-up fetish involves the cam pulleys and intake manifold on this car.

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1791396262.html

Seriously, just look at this stuff:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 14, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

I instantly had doubts about it actually being supercharged. I don't think the LS had the supercharger as an option, but I don't care enough to research it.
It didn't; only the Cobalt had a supercharger option (as the Cobalt SS Supercharged, as opposed to the "Cobalt SS" with body kit and the SS/TC) and I believe that was only mated to a 2.0L Ecotec motor.

The Cavalier had a lot of supercharger kits available but they were mostly bastardized kits from the S-10 that were manhandled to fit the 2200 SFI's rotated intake manifold and throttle body. There was even an official GM one, but it wasn't actually for the Cavalier and definitely not for the Ecotec. I don't know of any designed for the 2.4L twin cam (LD9) or for the 2.2L Ecotec (L61/L42). It looks like one exists for the Ecotec Cavalier, but it's pretty expensive and I doubt rice-boy could justify that. Hahn of course has turbochargers available for it.

The Cobalt SS/SC didn't come out until 2005 anyway I believe. Confusing matters further is that they also released a Cobalt SS in 2006 with a 2.4L Ecotec and no forced induction, while they were simultaneously selling the supercharged model. Way to pollute your trim levels, GM. Then again, they did the same thing with a "Cavalier SS" which was supposed to get factory supercharging but eventually arrived with just a bodykit.

tldr: Superchargers were not officially offered for any Cavalier. Also I know too much about J- and Delta-bodies.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You could never hit that from behind, though. :ohdear:

On topic, I don't know much about the Dodge Dart other than that my grandma had one with the slant six after she tired of her trusty Beetle. Beats me if this price is crazy or not.

If I did all this work on the car I'd probably take more than two pictures. :( The same guy is also selling a show-quality STI with a huge turbo kit, which makes me suspect that he's either moving or got into some incredibly nasty divorce.

Link

edit: This is going around the 323 GTX mailing list. It's a GLC that was wronged by a Starlet in a past life and now claws its way back from Hell itself at 11k.

Link

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 19, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
To be honest, if I raced an 11-second '68 MGB I probably wouldn't be able to think clearly enough to understand the concept of the shift key either.

The man has come out the other side. He's seen poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Baby Hitler posted:

Let me get this straight. They took out the 4.6L, put in a 5.0L and a carb? I fail to see that they could make cheaper power with buying a new engine and stuff. Let alone nothing ever working in the dash again.
Our local ricer forum has a guy who insists on knowing whether or not various new cars can be downgraded to carbs because he "just doesn't understand" EFI. He has a Factory Five Cobra that makes something like 120dB at idle (because our province doesn't bother regulating exhaust).

I imagine he would still need to learn how to interface the remaining chunks of the ECU that you need for poo poo like power windows, the radio, and the ignition immobilizer with the carburetor - which strikes me as a lot harder than picking up "Fuel Maps for Dummies" and just getting over the fact that it's no longer 1965.

I'm trying to talk Slung Blade into buying this for his highway commute:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 27, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Asking a little too much IMHO, but I'm trying to contact the guy. Seems in decent shape from the photos.
This has been for sale for a little while, I think - I remember being excited over it about a month ago when someone in the local Subaru club posted about it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Actual gold!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Something about this car makes it look like it's cornering super hard even when sitting still. Both of these pictures do (but in different directions, so it's probably not the alignment/suspension). What a weird optical illusion.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

I like how "recent oil change" is a selling point.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

There is a great looking 97 for sale in Calgary that is taking every ounce of my self control to not call the guy about and buy.
If you do buy it, come to the Subaru club meetings. There are some great looking SVXes in Calgary but none of them come see us rowdies.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Xarthor posted:

Speaking of Alfas, I kind of like this.

Alfa made a car with a boxer motor? Why do they insist on trying to get all of my money/sanity?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Everything about that poor car is a joke.

Even though I'm completely aware that buying the following car would be the equivalent of financial suicide, am I a bad person for still wanting it?
You can pick up a Japanese import one for less than that, and it will still be left hand drive and not have a complete suspension replacement including control arms (!)

In fact, I'd wager that that's exactly what this one is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

A buddy of mine is looking at this truck. Can you think of any reasons other than the obvious to not go for a 1976 Toyota Hilux? I think its freaking awesome looking, but its also kinda old and he's not the mechanical type.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/2082655186.html
Something seems off about that grille and headlight, especially on the drivers' side: it looks from the picture like it hasn't been installed properly. That truck seems to have had some expensive paint/body work done to it recently which worries me considering the low price. I'd take it to a body shop for inspection to see if someone has just put a nice coat of paint on it in order to cover up recent accident/rust damage that was insufficiently repaired. The mirrors look like they've been replaced with ones from a different truck or some kind of Pep Boys generics.

That tool box looks awful; I'd look and make sure there's no rust under it from water getting trapped between the bottom of the box and the top of the bed.

Tranny flush implies an automatic, and it implies that someone was paying enough attention to how the car was shifting in order to replace the transmission fluid. I'd also check the rear differential and replace its fluids if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I want a go.
One is probably all you'd get.