Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MiniFoo posted:

Yeah seriously, if those old Bimmers take a 4x100mm bolt pattern, then there's absolutely no right for anybody to complain about wheel selection. It's a pretty different situation when your car's 4x110mm bolt pattern pretty much limits you to ATV rims nowadays. :smithicide:

I'm guessing that you're an early Mazda owner.
And I've just had hilarious visions of some of those wheels on my '79 RX-7, if I hadn't already converted it to GSL-SE hubs for the bigger brakes and 4 x 4.5". Wonder what the load rating on those ATV wheels is? Some of them were 14 x 7 and 14 x 8 wheels.

The Rotas and Konig Rewinds are nice, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

koollook124 posted:

Wait, what the F?! Don't think I've seen one of these before, kinda neat though imo.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/2619968562.html

Bunch of them down here in TX. Used for towing 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers while still being able to provide some van functionality. Particularly useful for rodeo folks towing a large horse trailer, or using with a travel trailer.
They kind of declined when crew-cab pickups became more common and more comfortable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

Whatever someone puts in a Maserati Bi-turbo, it better have two turbos.

Twin-turbo LSx. Or one of Nelson Racing Engine's completely ridiculous twin-turbo power plants.
Would a V8 even fit?
Ooo, I know! the only thing potentially less-reliable than the original engine! Twin-turbo 13B-REW! :)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

SOMEONE PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BUY THIS.

I need to join my local Lions Club if they get to work on stuff like this...
I would LOVE tinkering with something like that to get everything working right. The first thing I tend to do when buying a used car is replace all the consumables, then make all the little stuff like glove box lights, clocks, etc, work. It's a curse...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

what the gently caress did I just read?

Since when is 87,000 units "rare"?

also, agree with grnberet2b: Sell it to Carmax. If it's *worth* more, *ask* more. Then let yourself be talked down to $1800 if you really want that person to have it. Gonna get nothing but low-ballers starting at the bottom.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

madattheinternet posted:

407 is an Orlando area code... that's a typical Central Florida craigslist post so he must just be a transplant. Doesn't count for Texas.

Also, Midland/Odessa is very much not South Texas. That's West Texas. South Texas would be Austin and below (Houston, San Antonio, Galveston, Corpus Cristi, etc.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It's sad that his design skills aren't up to the level of his fabrication skills. I mean, look at the "sheetmetalhappens" link - that's all steel.
I have to wonder if that's really what it looked like in his head.

Also, do those headlights even point vaguely in the right direction? They're from an Elise, so I'm guessing that at that angle, they're pointing more than a bit... somewhere else. Maybe there's enough adjustment there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

It's Houston rap slang. Super pokes are a specific type of rim popular on slabs in Houston.

"tippin on" means you're rollin on em.

What in the gently caress is a "slab" then? And that ad's text hurt my brain. Capital letters, punctuation? gently caress it! School is for chumps.

e: found it: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=slab

Supposedly Texas/Southern slang. I live in DFW and have never heard it before. I obviously run in the wrong automotive circles.
Also, the GIS for "slab car" is a treasure trove for the "You put WHAT on your car" thread.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 15, 2012

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, arguably, that get the air from a _slightly_ cooler location...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

"Give me $400, no less, or I'm taking it the scrap yard. gently caress you!"

I want the wheels on that RX4 wagon for my '79 RX-7.
'Course they only fit on the weird early rotary bolt pattern, and are probably 13" like the OEM stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Toucan Sam posted:

That's an easy $400 at my local yards, probably more. He's just asking scrap price and i think that is fair. I sell cars at scrap price sometimes and all i want is what im going to get out of it hauling it across the scales.

Really?
Wow, maybe I need to scrap some of my spare RX-7s. 7 of the drat things (5 first gens, 2 FCs) have followed me home over the years. Especially since only one runs and drives at the moment...
Need to go dig a few LSx's out from the wrecking yards and bastardize the ones in good shape, body wise. Hard to justify rebuilding the non-turbo rotary when the rebuild kit is $1000. I can find a 4.8 or 5.3 LSx with ECU for that, I bet, possibly with transmission, and at least 3 times the HP.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mikaelomo posted:

Nice Camaro, I like what he did with the sun-visors.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/3090424529.html

Sorry for blurry image, not sure how to screencap.

Dear God the side view of that thing really showcases the awesome bodywork skills of whomever tried to smooth in the bumpers.
And by "showcase", I mean show how completely unskilled they are. Those blends are so wavy they make me seasick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

Isn't the 12A not very popular and as well supported in the aftermarket as the 13B?

It's not that bad, since literally 90 percent of first-gen RX-7s had the 12A. Only the GSL-SE model of the last two years had the 13B, out of a 6-year run. I'd agree that there's probably more stuff for the second-gen 13Bs, though.

On a related note, he'd have to work pretty hard to get 150 normally-aspirated HP out of that 12A. They're only factory rated at 104 HP, so at the least it's had some internal work done. Carb, intake and exhaust aren't going to do it alone.

That said, even with only 104 HP, that 7 would be gangs of fun - after all, that's about all the Miata 1.6 is rated at, and plenty of 7s are made with Miata donor bits. I mean, what does the thing weigh 1500 lbs.? First gen RX-7s are pretty fun at 2500-2700 lbs. (as I recall.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

Eh, you never know. It could be bridge-ported or something. Even if it's only a stockport, that's still more than enough power for the weight of that car.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Still fun, and probably still pretty quick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MiniFoo posted:

You think you hate your vacuum lines now? :suicide:

oh god please buy it and do an entire front subframe swap for the bigger brakes and rack and pinion steering at the same time

Eh, he's putting it in an '85 - 90% of the vac lines can be eliminated, if it's emissions exempt in his state. Convert to non-sequential or single turbo. Front cover will need to be swapped to use factory '85 mounts, or fabricate FD-style mounting points on the FB (may not be possible due to steering gear in the way.)
13B-REWs have certainly been stuffed into FBs before. I'd love to do a turbo-FB myself.

I am going to try the FC subframe swap on my SA22C eventually, to make it easy to drop an FC 13B in - early 13Bs are getting hard to find.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Here you are.

That looks surprisingly rust free.

Looks like a wee bit of rust behind the rear wheel. Not surprising - that corner is where a leaky radio antenna and a piping hot muffler can create rust instantly. That's one of the very few spots my '79 has rust, but I lost the entire lower bit of the quarter due to a PO just slapping bondo on it rather than fixing the rust, or the leak.
That one looks like it just lost the wheel well lip where crud kicked up from the tire collects. I'd check the upper control arm mount area in the front part of the wheel well. It loves to rust out too.

Other than that bit of rust, it looks really good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3426202524.html

RX7 with a "v8" - getting more detail now if it's got a stick and is halfway done I'm buying it.

One of the things that's going to "need work" is passing emissions for another 3 years, if it stays in the Houston area, particularly with a carburetor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

salt the fries! posted:

Sorry I can't really post screenshots (stuck on mobile), but is this worth calling the guy and taking a look? Hard to tell much of anything from what's there but I don't know much about the market for them.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/3484112263.html

I'm concerned about the "Rebuilt V8 (260)", since the original engine, if a V8, should be a 330. The 260s were a cut-down version of the Olds V8 from the '80s. Guy could just be mistaken. Other than that, cool old Olds.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

General_Failure posted:

They never really were terrible. It's just the owners were generally tightasses who didn't maintain them. Plus it's simple, and simple to maintain / repair, cheap and parts are available. That's one up on the Fairlane in every aspect. Plus it can go offroad a lot better than the Fairlane, has quarter windows / vents / glasses (depends on where you come from) and provision to use a crank. I kind of want to replace the Fairlane with a Discovery anyway as I mentioned somewhere previously. The only way is up really.

OK, I've been meaning to ask: is your Fairlane a variant of the Falcon, or something else? That's one I'm not familiar with, other than the US Fairlane from the '60s-'70s.

e:Wikipedia is my friend. Longer wheelbase than the Falcon, like the Holden Caprice versus Commodore, I think. I'm guessing by your descriptions, that it's a '90s NA or ND chassis. So the 302 is hard to find parts for? Says here it's based on the Canadian variant used in N. American light trucks rather than the one used in the Mustang or other passenger cars, with provisions for RHD. Was it not a popular model or something?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 25, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

General_Failure posted:

More or less. It's a LWB version which has been massaged slightly but from the rear of the front doors forward it's more or less a Falcon.

You replied as I was editing!
Is it just a pain to find parts for the V8, or the Fairlane specifically? The 302 is one of the most common engines short of the small-block Chevy here in the US.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm trying to find reasons to not drain the savings account and fly across the country to buy this.

I'm not doing too well.

Man, if I had the money, I would totally drive that beauty back home to Texas. Likely gets better mileage than my FC RX-7 daily driver. Certainly in better shape, body- and paint-wise. I have a soft spot for the 7-series wagons, more so than the 240s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tyro posted:

Is this possible actual gold? Looks clean but maybe overpriced? How dumb would it be to consider this as a daily driver? (I know almost nothing about rotaries)

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3597803491.html

From a few days ago, but my '90 has over 220k miles on it, with the original engine.
With that interior color, it would have originally been a goldfish silver. That interior was exclusive to the "Winning Silver Metallic" paint.
That car looks pretty good. Look at the usual car stuff. Don't run it out of oil or overheat it and it'll run quite a while. Normally aspirated models arent near as fragile as the turbo models.
The only thing I absolutely hate about mine is the creepy-crawly automatic seat belts. Replacing them with earlier manual style also requires replacing a bunch of interior trim and the headliner.

EDIT: windshield wiper issue is common. Fix involved replacing relays in the switch. Not hard if you can desolder/solder. Instructions are on the web. Power window may be the lock as previously mentioned, or a dirty/broken switch on the passenger side.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 27, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3697665905.html

this is how you sell a car:

He is a marketing and advertising man, so it could be fake but gosh darn if it isn't a standout Craigslist advert.

Someone flagged it for removal, the heartless bastard!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Real gold?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/3789358455.html

Wish I had $2K handy...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

All that money dumped into it and he thinks that car is going to be a track or rally car? Talk about spending money with no idea what you're doing. :psyduck:

Well, he was obviously building it as a drag car, but I think he's suggesting that it would be a good start for a track or rally car with the stripped interior, cage, and such.
My question is why would you do the transplant from a perfectly usable MS Protege? Sell the driver, and just buy/build a racing engine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

Rally/Track cars have completely different designed rollcages

Octopus Magic posted:

Rally/Track cars have completely different designed rollcages

Yeah, I thought that we the case, but was giving the benefit of the doubt, there. I still think he's better off selling them separately.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Now I've seen my share of CL turd pickups, but this looks like one of the more solid beater trucks I've ever seen. I've seen poo poo without engines go for a thousand bucks more. Gold?

Barring poo poo like rocker rust, this thing is good for another decade

http://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/3757394330.html

Sounds like a lot of the normally sketchy bits have been taken care of, so, yeah, it'll go for a while, most likely.
Rust isn't too much of an issue in OK, I'd wager (and yet, even here in north TX, my Cutlass, and pretty much every unrestored one I've seen, manages to rust out just behind the wheel openings.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

"Upgrade" to a Prius.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The battle damage is a nice touch. I wonder if that was their clever way of disguising damage to the car, or if they did that on purpose?

I'm guessing they bought it with that damage, given the "before" picture in the ad, and used a bit of creativity. Looks like they added some gee-gaws inside the hole to look all science-fiction-y, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why do people do this? It's a lovely energy drink, why plaster it all over your car? I see it on the back windows of trucks around here, usually accompanied by one of those "FOX" stickers.

Also is that a rattlecan paintjob?

Edit: Oooh and it's got a "swade" interior.

Because the "M" looks cool, as does the Fox. Same reason I had an "Ultra Hot" sticker on my back window back in 1988 when I was 18. Never surfed in my life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I love people who post ads ON THE INTERNET and then specify "no emails".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

So to put an end to PT Cruiser chat, some possible actual gold:

I already pulled the emissions records, he's right, it passes with flying colors. I actually kinda want this but <20MPG and 100hp seem a bit insane when combined, not to mention the fact that I have no idea if I can even fit into a FB.

I'm 6'2" and fit in my '79 reasonably well. I still have to watch my head over speed bumps, thanks to the sunroof, but I fit in it better than an NA or NB Miata, legroom-wise. You must be willing to ignore fuel mileage when owning a rotary, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

fps_bill posted:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/3986860536.html

CAR IS INSPECTED THROUGH JULY 2014!

Call or text Joe @ 717-805-one.2.one9

Car has the following installed:
-2001 Nissan Maxima 3.0L v6 (VQ30DEK) rated at 222hp
-2004 Nissan 350z 6 speed manual Transmission (CD003)
-Mazda RX7 LSD
-Tokico Illumina shocks all around
-OPTIMA Yellow Top D51 series, brand new June 2013
-18" ASA 5 spoke rims

For sale is my red 1991 Mazda RX7. A previous owner was responsible for the drivetrain swap in this car and he documented his work online: http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com This car is fast and will do 140MPH if you have enough road. The VQ30DE-K is rated at 222hp stock and the car weighs in around 2800lbs, checked weight at a feed weigh station. I had plans to turbo the Nissan 3.0 liter v6 for upwards of 450hp. I have several other car and motorcycle projects and no money to work with, so I need to sell.

PROBLEMS:
-50% of the time, the car will want to stall when coming to a complete stop. This can be avoided by tapping the throttle pedal while stopping. Problem should be solved with a new MAF sensor.
-driver's power window switch is partially disassembled, but still works fine
-speedometer is not connected, so currently no odometer recording and no speed indication. Mileage on title says EXEMPT and odometer from Nissan reads 65,000 miles
-passenger door has a dent from previous owner, still opens and closes fine. Passenger power window has some trouble coming up, but it does work.
-car has no speakers installed currently, also the CD player is a Pioneer unit but is not wired in at the moment.

ATTENTION!!! I have been driving this car long enough to say it is a solid vehicle. Also, this swap was completed almost 5 years ago so the car is not about to break down.

http://www.v6rx7.blogspot.com/

And not a single loving picture of the one thing that makes it unique: the engine. Brilliant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shoopeach posted:

is that a renault?

Looks like it, and a Euro plate, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Octopus Magic posted:

They put all that work into the car then put K-Sports on it? Whyyyyyyyy

They also deleted the AC, making it unusable in the Southern half of the US for the half of the year you'd want to drive it. Lazy. There's one of these on another forum over in Saudi Arabia. His AC works, it's AWD, and he plans to twin turbo the thing! I think the cruise control even works, IIRC.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

13 INCH DICK posted:

Called this guy and left a message. Needs a head gasket though, but look at it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4135114170.html

This car is awesome, and I wish I had $1500 plus gas money to haul it back to Texas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Drunken Lullabies posted:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4137809095.html

1989 Geo Metro, 50 MPG TRUCK! - $1250 (Lake Stevens)
Year: 1989
Make: Geo
Model: Metro
Engine: 3 Cylinder
Transmission: Manual 5 Speed
Average MPG: 47MPG
Interior Condition: 7/10
Exterior Condition: 7/10
The Good: Custom Geo Truck, water tight, turns heads, stays warm inside, great for hauling tools, or whatever and getting great gas mileage. lots of new parts, to many to list, nice kenwood stereo and kenwood speakers. bench seat makes it feel way roomier, very comfy and fun to drive, fully functional cobra CB with a loud PA system. radio shack radar detector. new tires, brakes good, new wipers, battery, oil changed every month on the 1st. I only run royal purple full synthetic oil and premium fram oil filters. dont want to sell but i am moving east and need 4 wheel drive. passed final emissions test recently. and got rid of the catalytic converter and put new exhaust on it and gained 2 mpg. new radiator and electric radiator fan.
The Bad: Small oil leak, clutch needs adjustment. needs new hood, drivers and passenger door, both doors work fine, just dont look to pretty, both lock, windows work, ect. also needs drivers fender. can replace these parts for you if you want to pay, also willing to paint and fix mechanical problems for extra cost. could use a new carpet kit and door panels but those are also easy fixes.
Asking: 1250 obo, or trade for small truck, 4wd MANUAL TRANS ONLY. or a 87 or newer bronco. can fix if something needs work and also willing to throw in cash on a deal.

Looks like I know what I'm buying.
(seriously, look at all of the pictures on that listing, it's all gold.)

Don't miss the radio shack radar detector, or the PA system. Or the "only selling because I'm moving east" followed by "trade for a small 4WD/manual truck or 87 bronco"

Holy poo poo, he even shoehorned a bench seat in there. Why?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spacejung posted:

Worst model year, ugliest interior, Buffalo New York where I'm pretty sure newborn babies already have a little rust on them when they come out of postnatal care...

Where do I sign?

Just out of curiosity, what's the best year?
I like the LSCs I've seen with the 16" BBS wheels. The wheels in the ad are boring and too small.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spacejung posted:

1992. You'll have the BBS on there unless someone got cute, a trusty 302, the best electrical system, knock-off Ricaro seats, best chance of functioning air-ride, and as a bonus the coolest trip computer (by Lincoln standards).

Sweet, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ctishman posted:

This is not in the least bit suspicious, being in the Craigslist Free section.

"Almost all there" except for , you know little stuff like the drivetrain and rear axle.

Rhyno posted:

It's possible he took the picture before he did the work to the F-150.

Says right in the ad that the hood is not included.

Bet you could part out what was left for decent change, especially if the interior's in good shape. Glass, bits and bobs from the engine bay and under the dash, power window motors,that sort of stuff, then cut up the body for scrap steel.